HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Live in Northern Virginia. Company is in MD. What state income tax gets withheld?
Posted by: James443 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 10:38PM

I live in NOVA, but the company I work for is based in Maryland. We do contract work in VA, DC, and MD. Sometimes I'm at all 3 in one week for contracting jobs we get. Which state tax is my employer supposed to be taking out? I read employers need to take out where their employee lives.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Live in Northern Virginia. Company is in MD. What state income tax gets withheld?
Posted by: Big City Lawyer ()
Date: December 19, 2014 10:46PM

Before this thread devolves into political bullshit, let me just say that your taxes will be for Virginia, not MD or DC.

Enjoy the shit storm.

Re: Live in Northern Virginia. Company is in MD. What state income tax gets withheld?
Posted by: Well....... ()
Date: December 19, 2014 10:54PM

If it is an S corp. you might have to file in all areas that their income comes from. We do this and it is a lot of fun. We paid taxes in Michigan and Maryland (as well as VA) but lived in Virginia.

Posted by: if but when if that if this then ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:00PM

All if this or that aside, just VA.

Posted by: if but when if that if this the ()
Date: December 19, 2014 11:02PM

Almost forgot...

You lib-tard working in a lib state like MD should pay taxes in all states for being such a dumb lib!

--

You conservi-tard, i bet you feel so much shame having to work in a liberal state like MD. All the conservative states don't have any jobs, dumb conservi-tard.

Posted by: Taxman ()
Date: December 21, 2014 02:28PM

Your company, if it is a good one, should withhold state taxes from your compensation for the state that is your domicile (that you live in). This is not required by law, but probably 90 percent companies do this.

If they don't, you need to estimate your taxes and forward quarterly state tax payments to the Va Department of Taxation throughout the year.

Posted by: Simple... ()
Date: December 21, 2014 06:51PM

The general answer is that you file a resident return in the state where you live and a non-resident return in the state where you work. The states divide your state tax withholdings between them and refund any overage collected.

Things are different in this area however. All of the District, VA, and MD have reciprocal tax agreements that include each other, meaning that if all your work is in one of those three places, you pay state tax ONLY where you live. You may need to file an exemption form when you first start in an out-of-state position or your new employer may automatically do that for you.

Reciprocal agreements exist in many other states and areas as well, but far from all.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.