HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
why does everything close so early
Posted by: Night Owl ()
Date: December 16, 2014 09:40PM

I usually get off work around 730 pm. Unless I eat downtown, by the time I get home to the fairfax area everything is shutting down/closed. Why does everything close so early in fairfax county?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why does everything close so early
Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: December 16, 2014 10:18PM

Even leaving Capitol Hill at 7:30, you should be back in Fairfax by 8:30. Where are all these places you find closed at that hour?

Date: December 16, 2014 10:42PM

By the time I get home it is like 9. Even some gas stations are closed in Burke at this time. It is about 50/50 with places to eat.

Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: December 16, 2014 10:54PM

If you're looking for fine dining, yes you may have trouble. But most fast food joints are open until midnight or later. And Im sure there is a Dennys or a IHOP open around there somewhere.

Are you looking for real food or just something to eat?

Posted by: early bird ()
Date: December 17, 2014 05:01AM

Then eat downtown or make yourself a sandwich.

Posted by: Yawn ()
Date: December 17, 2014 06:22AM

DC metropolitan area, by tradition, is a sleepy town.

Posted by: M. Notschittingieu ()
Date: December 17, 2014 06:32AM

This is a working town full of early risers. Pretty soon, establishments that serve breakfast will open at 3am and lunch will start at 10am.

Posted by: Options be limited ()
Date: December 17, 2014 09:13AM

Yawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DC metropolitan area, by tradition, is a sleepy town.

Another stupid stereotype from long, long ago. Northern charm, southern efficiency. Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah. Maybe move into the 21st century.

But more to the point, when it comes to food, there just isn't a lot to choose from in Burke to begin with. Especially if Mexican and Asian aren't up your alley. People live in Burke, but it's not exactly a destination for dining at any hour of the day. Still, Glory Days is open till midnight, Spartan, Cafe Rio, and Chipotle are open until 10:00, and Villa Bella and Fortune House are open until 9:30. Slim pickings alright, but not nothing. Still might finish third to eating downtown and making sure to have a full fridge.

Posted by: Hey Pal ()
Date: December 17, 2014 09:27AM

Night Owl Wrote:
> By the time I get home it is like 9. Even some
> gas stations are closed in Burke at this time. It
> is about 50/50 with places to eat.

How fucking slow do you drive? Where do you work, Baltimore? Unless traffic is totally f'ed up you should make it home to Burke by 8:00pm, 8:15pm at the latest! Plenty of places still open around that time!

Or are you talking about driving your Prius in the left lane @ 50mph, getting home, taking a dump, feeding/walking the dog, changing your clothes, and then going out for something to eat? If that is the case, then yeah it might be 9:00pm when you are ready to hit the wonderful dinning options in Burke!

Posted by: Two or three in one... ()
Date: December 17, 2014 09:29AM

M. Notschittingieu Wrote:
> This is a working town full of early risers.
> Pretty soon, establishments that serve breakfast
> will open at 3am and lunch will start at 10am.

Right, it's a sleepy little town where it's all about the go-go rat-race since we're all driven, work-obsessed Type-A's here. Man or woman, we work 80-hour weeks in order to climb the ladder and get ahead while being helicopter parents to our spoiled little children on whom we still somehow find tons of time to dote. And of course, the ones of us who live in the wilds of West County and beyond have to get up and leave the house really, really early so we can "beat the traffic". The work-dote-sleep routine doesn't really leave time for commuting, you know.

Date: December 17, 2014 10:16AM

I don't care if I'm the only one to show up at a restaurant for three hours - I demand that the host, waitstaff, and cook all stay on the job until I decide to show up for my dinner!

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: December 17, 2014 11:12AM

Troll.

Get out of residential areas where business tends to die down after 8:00 and head for areas with some night life and you are more likely to find a greater number of restaurants staying open later. They get the additional traffic which justifies those longer hours. Then again there is the alternative of COOKING YOUR OWN MEALS. With a little planning you can easily whip up something good in a half hour.

Posted by: Grow up, corn flake ()
Date: December 17, 2014 11:31AM

Night Owl Wrote:
> I don't care if I'm the only one to show up at a
> restaurant for three hours - I demand that the
> host, waitstaff, and cook all stay on the job
> until I decide to show up for my dinner!

Dumb. If a restaurant is open until 9:30, they should serve you if you walk in at 9:25. If they don't want to do that, they should change their hours.

The problem in Burke is that there are not many restaurants at all and fewer still that are open until 9:00 or later. Nobody is asking anyone to do things they haven't volunteered to do.

Posted by: vhthy ()
Date: December 17, 2014 11:45AM

I'm sure places would be open if there was a demand. Very few places would close if there was money to be made. It would be a money loosing proposition for most decent restaraunts to stay open

Posted by: Food Dee ()
Date: December 17, 2014 11:53AM

Um No. Almost no sit down resturants want customers coming in 5 minutes before they close. If the resturant closed at Midnight you sound like the kind of person that would try to come in at 11:45 pm.Just sayin'

Posted by: Need a Waffle House ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:03PM

Waffle House = late night food problems solved.

Posted by: Get in your car and drive ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:11PM

There are places to eat, not far from Burke, that are open later than 9 pm. Get in your car and drive = late night food problems solved.

Posted by: Come on, corn flake ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:22PM

Restaurants set their closing hours at the point where they don't expect enough customers to be walking in any more. It takes a while to shut everything down and get it cleaned up again for the next day, but all that is factored in. If you say that you are open until midnight, you are INVITING people to walk in at 11:45. If you don't want that to happen, change your hours.

As an example, Sweetwater in Merrifield -- a sit-down restaurant -- is open until 10:00 pm on Sunday and Monday, 11:00 pm on Tuesday through Thursday, and midnight on Friday and Saturday. The bar closes an hour after the dining room. The reason for all that is that they expect fewer people than average to arrive late on Sun and Mon evening, but more people than average to arrive late on Fri and Sat evening. Their hours are set to match the expected behavior of customers. If they stopped making money between 9:00 and 10:00 on Sunday evening, they'd start closing the place an hour earlier. But in all cases, any individual customer arriving five minutes before closing time on any day at all will be seated and served as always.

Posted by: Hmmm... ()
Date: December 17, 2014 12:27PM

Get in your car and drive Wrote:
> There are places to eat, not far from Burke, that
> are open later than 9 pm. Get in your car and
> drive = late night food problems solved.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Posted by: bob99 ()
Date: December 17, 2014 04:10PM

Bill.N. Wrote:

> Get out of residential areas where business tends
> to die down after 8:00 and head for areas with
> some night life and you are more likely to find a
> greater number of restaurants staying open later.

Driving is so complicated, especially after dark. Everything blends together into one blurry glow.

Brake lights, for example. I can't tell if the cars in front of me are driving or stopping. Brake lights should be green or blue or purple; I like purple.

I'm constantly jamming on my brakes, and the people behind me are constantly screeching to a stop or swerving off the road.

Often, drivers will zip around me and scream obscenities. Talk about creating an unsafe driving situation! One lunatic almost fell out the window, trying to take my picture. How foolish!

> Then again there is the
> alternative of COOKING YOUR OWN MEALS. With a
> little planning you can easily whip up something
> good in a half hour.

I don't know how to cook. I once set my hair on fire with a bunsen burner and I haven't gone near an open flame since. I stay away from danger!

Posted by: CH3NO2 ()
Date: December 17, 2014 05:02PM

It's actually better for your health to eat your supper before 8PM.

Posted by: local... ()
Date: December 18, 2014 07:05AM

Things used to close Really early, weekends too, or not open at all, ABC laws sucked, no booze on Sundays, nothing open but seven eleven on holidays,y'all have it great now, if you like the way things turned out here... Can't say I'm very enamored of modern day Fairfax... Oh well it has its charms... My wife says...

Posted by: OldTimer ()
Date: December 18, 2014 09:04AM

If you're stuck with those hours maybe you'd be happier living in
DC. I worked a 10:30 a.m. through 7 p.m. shift for a couple of years
but I could walk home to Capitol Hill in less than a half hour.
Plenty of bars and nightlife on the Hill and no shortage of young
ladies to keep my attention. My son is moving from Fairfax to a downtown
apartment because he's fed up with the two hour (each way) commute
every day.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: December 18, 2014 10:49AM

Kilroys is on your way home

Posted by: Personal Trainer ()
Date: December 18, 2014 11:52AM

CH3NO2 Wrote:
> It's actually better for your health to eat your
> supper before 8PM.

Yeah, that way you'll be hungry enough to wolf down a whole bag of potato chips while watching The Daily Show. Lots of vitamins and minerals in a potato.

Posted by: Been there, done that ()
Date: December 18, 2014 11:59AM

local... Wrote:
> Things used to close Really early, weekends too,
> or not open at all, ABC laws sucked, no booze on
> Sundays, nothing open but seven eleven on
> holidays,y'all have it great now...

Yup, I lived through all that and the blue laws too. That's why we had to drive all those fundie goober racist rednecks out of here. It was just wall-to-wall intolerable stupidity outside the Beltway.

, if you like the
> way things turned out here... Can't say I'm very
> enamored of modern day Fairfax... Oh well it has
> its charms... My wife says...

Posted by: wTjNU ()
Date: December 18, 2014 12:40PM

why is it NIGHT SHIFT is the hardest shift

and when they turn on the TV they get crap and agentina butt slimming ads to watch ?

Posted by: your doctor ()
Date: December 20, 2014 07:00PM

Restaurant food is extremely unhealthy food prepared in filthy conditions.

You're WAY ahead healthwise if you can't find a restaurant that's open.

Posted by: P3vXm ()
Date: December 20, 2014 07:11PM

Same reason you can't buy anything locally either. People around here like to pretend they are a small home town. You get to buy what they have instead of what you want. The sidewalks roll up at 4PM.

Posted by: Allison James ()
Date: December 20, 2014 07:23PM

Are you kidding? How about Ozzie's, Coastal Flats, P.F. Changs, Fridays, Macaroni Grill to name several.

Posted by: Throwbak ()
Date: December 20, 2014 07:28PM

Glocal... Wrote:
> Things used to close Really early, weekends too,
> or not open at all, ABC laws sucked, no booze on
> Sundays, nothing open but seven eleven on
> holidays,y'all have it great now...

Yup, I lived through all that and the blue laws too. That's why we had to drive all those fundie goober racist rednecks out of here. It was just wall-to-wall intolerable stupidity outside the Beltway.

Loser...

Go back to whatever rock you came from and leave. Blue Laws rocked. People ate at home on Sundays and you could bring your own booze into restarants rather than get raped. Trying to portray this area as backwards makes you look like an ass.

Why are you even still here? Presumably because VA built a rockin economy. LEAVE or get with the program. Or just thank us who made Virginia this way.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.