HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Appliance junkyards in the area for timer motor?
Posted by: Cheapskate ()
Date: December 15, 2014 09:54AM

The electric motor in our washing machine timer has an open winding (i.e., it's broken), but no one sells just the motor, only the whole timer assembly for over $100. If I could got to an appliance junkyard I could probably pretty quickly find a Kenmore/Whirlpool washer that I could extract the motor from. Then again perhaps all the timers have already been salvaged from them.

Any junkyards with appliances in the area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Appliance junkyards in the area for timer motor?
Posted by: Mitt Romney ()
Date: December 15, 2014 10:25AM

This is a throw-away world. If something breaks, you don't try to fix it. You go out and buy a new one.

Posted by: Out of luck ()
Date: December 15, 2014 10:36AM

Cheapskate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The electric motor in our washing machine timer
> has an open winding (i.e., it's broken), but no
> one sells just the motor, only the whole timer
> assembly for over $100. If I could got to an
> appliance junkyard I could probably pretty quickly
> find a Kenmore/Whirlpool washer that I could
> extract the motor from. Then again perhaps all the
> timers have already been salvaged from them.
>
> Any junkyards with appliances in the area?

Sorry, no junkyards in this area.

There used to be an auto junkyard somewhere near Culpepper but I haven't been there in 10+ years. It might be gone too.

Posted by: CL ()
Date: December 15, 2014 10:42AM

Look on Craigslist for people looking to dump their old appliances.

Posted by: good results! ()
Date: December 15, 2014 11:13AM

(703) 224-4002

They do a big trade in used/reconditioned appliances, they should be able to help you.

Posted by: kuyky ()
Date: December 15, 2014 11:16AM

CL Wrote:
> Look on Craigslist for people looking to dump
> their old appliances.

+100 peps always looking to unload an old washer. If not go here and order a replacement http://fixitnow.com/

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: December 15, 2014 12:49PM

I am assuming you already did a google search. Did you check ebay? If that was a bust. go for the entire timer assembly if it comes with a warranty and you are sure it will fix the problem. Dumps around here generally scrap old appliances. They don't warehouse them. You could canibalize a used one, but then disposing of the old and nonfunctioning appliance is your problem.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: December 15, 2014 01:30PM

Tribles in Sterling

Fucking incredable.

Posted by: stephen ()
Date: December 15, 2014 02:30PM

There's a place in Upper Marlboro MD, off of rt 202. has a whole store and yard full of them.

Posted by: LbyCu ()
Date: December 15, 2014 06:13PM

Cheapskate Wrote:
> The electric motor in our washing machine timer
> has an open winding (i.e., it's broken), but no
> one sells just the motor, only the whole timer
> assembly for over $100. If I could got to an
> appliance junkyard I could probably pretty quickly
> find a Kenmore/Whirlpool washer that I could
> extract the motor from. Then again perhaps all the
> timers have already been salvaged from them.
>
> Any junkyards with appliances in the area?

i fixed my own

if it still ticks. if your an electrician

there are just copper strips. they are dirty possible the "most used one" is split. easy to repair

one might be broken (meaning using other timer settings still works fine)

Posted by: vDtJv ()
Date: December 15, 2014 06:17PM

if it was MADE IN THE USA

1) you can fix it if you need to, no platic little parts impossible to remake are holding you back, no planned failure and planned impossible repair (imports, "export to usa only"). if made in the usa its good enough to fix.

2) if it's MADE IN THE USA you can find the part, you can even call the factory they'll throw you one out the door. or use a "similar part"

yes they're $100. that's why i fixed it. worth fixing if no one is sending money my way, i cannot be sending money back out for no reason.

that's civility. you share and profit. or hoard and suffer.

Posted by: falcon pnch ()
Date: December 15, 2014 08:02PM

This is Fairfax Virginia.

We do not stress about stupid shit like that.

Get a new washer and get on with life!

Posted by: maytag ()
Date: December 15, 2014 08:41PM

falcon pnch Wrote:
> This is Fairfax Virginia.
>
>
> We do not stress about stupid shit like that.
>
>
> Get a new washer and get on with life!

It ain't that simple. Modern washers absolutely suck because of all gooberment mandated water saving horseshit. Plus, they are Mexican-built garbage that will only last a few years at best.

I have a 1984 Maytag heavy duty washer that I intend to use for another 30 years. I do maintenance on it annually and I have salted away at least one of EVERY part in it.

Posted by: you know you are ()
Date: December 15, 2014 09:05PM

maytag Wrote:
> falcon pnch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is Fairfax Virginia.
> >
> >
> > We do not stress about stupid shit like that.
> >
> >
> > Get a new washer and get on with life!
>
>
> It ain't that simple. Modern washers absolutely
> suck because of all gooberment mandated water
> saving horseshit. Plus, they are Mexican-built
> garbage that will only last a few years at best.
>
> I have a 1984 Maytag heavy duty washer that I
> intend to use for another 30 years. I do
> maintenance on it annually and I have salted away
> at least one of EVERY part in it.

You are a strange motherfucker.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: December 18, 2014 08:59PM

you know you are Wrote:
> You are a strange motherfucker.

I assume you're either jealous of his dedication (like the rest of the adults on here) or living in your parents' basement. He's dead-on that modern appliances aren't built like they used to be -- talk to any repair guy. The manufacturers are forcing upgrades by dropping replacement parts, too.

Case in point: I'm replacing a 30-year-old double oven tomorrow because I can't get parts for the top oven. I have no faith that the $3,000 replacement is going to last another 30 years, alas. Yes, it'll be nicer -- convection as well as conventional, digital controls (which are nicer UNTIL they break, at great replacement cost!), etc. We spent several months shopping for this replacement, in no small part due to the string of horror stories about various high-end brands that fall down and don't get up.

We have a washer/dryer that are almost 30 years old, still going strong (*knocks wood*). I've looked at newer ones every couple of years, and haven't pulled the trigger 'cause they ain't broke and do a decent job! Sure, I'd like to be able to select how loud the dryer buzzer is (and turn it off), but that isn't worth $2K+ replacement cost. And again, tons of horror stories.

I do question the contention that performance is poor due to water-saving rules. I know plenty of folks with new hi-efficiency machines that they're happy with; I just don't want to ask them how they are five or ten years from now...!

Posted by: wFkWd ()
Date: December 18, 2014 09:14PM

Yea a lot of the newer appliances are JUNK!

Theramodor ovens built about 10-15 years ago were and are headaches with problem after problem. I have repaired many of these. Nice metal work, but they outsourced the controls and the dumb ass "ingineers" put all the circuit boards and controls ON TOP of the ovens where all the heat is. Bosch bought out Thermador and dropped support for them. There is only one place that will repair the control boards and has limited parts. Some bought the $5k ranges that they could not boil water or bake cookies with it.

Viking is ABSOLUTE JUNK both in metal work, mechanicals and electronics. Welds break on the oven parts and Viking will not even cover replacement. Welds do not break if they are done properly.

Maytag Neptune washers and driers were nightmares.

GE had decent stuff for the price but GE recently sold out the Appliance division to Electrolux so not sure where this will go.

My mother has an old GE refrigerator in her basement that is from the mid to late 1950's. I am so taking this when she downsizes soon. It is not a frost free refrigerator, but the thing is older than me and will likely outlast me. It just keeps on keeping on.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: December 18, 2014 10:33PM

Yeah, we loved the Electrolux ovens on paper, but between history of problems and the GE purchase we didn't want to take the chance. We'd heard that they'd gotten over the problems (anecdotal), but figured even if that was true, GE could make things even better OR much worse.

One thing that's disturbing is that EVERYONE says "You really don't want to use self-clean". By "everyone" I mean dealers, repair folks, and owners. That's like selling you a car and saying "Don't use the air conditioning" -- kind of makes you wonder WTF. Sure, I dig that it's an intense operation, but when I was in engineering classes, we were expected to design things to deal with the extremes of normal use. A standard feature should fall into that category!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.