HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324AllNext
Current Page: 22 of 24
Re: High School Football 2015
Posted by: Muran ()
Date: December 05, 2015 11:57AM

Muran back round eyes,

Rooks rike West dogs back to pray Sout Countee for region final. You ask Muran, "Muran who you say win game?" Muran say, why you even ask dis of Muran. It no prane as new born babee? Sout Countee sooooooo goooo dey don need startah centah to win. All dey need do is give Rambo back ball ret him run all ovah West dog face. Mayyyybeee dey throw ball to Spalding too. Muran no kno for sure. But Muran kno one ting, Muran be there today!

Muran.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nufan ()
Date: December 05, 2015 12:54PM

How.can you say Cville is below average but beat an average team in chantilly. McLean average. Chantilly average that beat an good team in Madison. Cville and chantilly took Robinson to the last play of the game. Just saying.

Posted by: North Final ()
Date: December 05, 2015 01:13PM

Anyone know if the game is going to be broadcast live online?

Posted by: Halftime Score ()
Date: December 05, 2015 03:20PM

Westfield 13
SoCo 0

Date: December 05, 2015 03:41PM

20-0

Posted by: ah yeh ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:01PM

Concorde district still alive and kicking....

Posted by: Dogpound ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:05PM

Where is SOCOS offense!!?? Defense wins chips babbbbby

Posted by: Westfield ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:09PM

And they said that the Concorde was overrated. But forreal tho, if Westfield didn't have suspensions and had #17 at QB the whole year I think they could've actually been better than the '03 and '07 teams.

Posted by: Capt Morgan ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:32PM

Rolllllllll Dawgs!!!!!!!!! We are Westfield!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: No way 03 ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:46PM

I agree a very good team, but there hasn't been a team as good as the '03 Bulldogs possibly in VA high school football. Closes teams would be Annandale '93 and Chantilly '96.

Posted by: Faux Co ()
Date: December 05, 2015 04:47PM

Hey FauxCo...that's two years and two regional failures. Now shut the fuck up until you have actually proven you are a team that deserves respect because you actually perform.

Posted by: On 2 states ()
Date: December 05, 2015 05:04PM

WF pretty much killed SoCo. SoCo's defense didn't show up for this game. Congrats to the Bulldogs. They earned it once they hit the playoffs.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: December 05, 2015 05:39PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Re: High School Football 2015
> Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
> Date: September 26, 2015 12:00AM

> Interestingly, it is my opinion that this looks
> like the best defensive team Westfield has put on
> the field in the Kyle Simmons era (fifth season as
> head coach).

This was my observation after their dominating performance in the Stone Bridge game in week 4. And that tells the tale. Westfield's defense absolutely smothered South County the entire game from start to finish. Didn't really matter what their offense did.

Posted by: Go Bulldogs ()
Date: December 05, 2015 05:56PM

Ok

Posted by: Three Words ()
Date: December 05, 2015 06:12PM

Concorde is king.

Before you respond....sshhhhhhhh, just don't.

Posted by: What on earth... ()
Date: December 05, 2015 06:49PM

What just happened today is mind boggling... A team that was dead to rights against a south lakes team two weeks ago just beat the two regular season Titans a combined 61-15... Talk about a team figuring it out

Posted by: Crazy?? ()
Date: December 05, 2015 06:50PM

What just happened today is mind boggling... A team that was dead to rights against a south lakes team two weeks ago just beat the two regular season Titans a combined 61-15... Talk about a team figuring it out

Posted by: Bulldogs ()
Date: December 05, 2015 07:12PM

Westfield hasn't been the team of superstars but a team… and today played as a Team. Speaks to the program. #foreverlinked #staysmiling

Posted by: HS Football Fan ()
Date: December 05, 2015 08:15PM

Wow, hats off the Westfield Bulldogs football program. With all that they have been through this year with suspensions, injuries, and the passing of Connor B. They showed what a good group of young men can accomplish as a team. Their coaching staff also did an amazing job and silenced all of the "haters".

Good luck next week in the State Final.

Posted by: stallion4lyfe ()
Date: December 05, 2015 08:46PM

Westfield got lucky today
Refs won that game for Westfield, I hope the refs got a lot of money for this game

Posted by: soco guy ()
Date: December 05, 2015 08:57PM

Come on now. I don't believe whoever just posted that is actually a soco fan. No one who saw the game would actually think that.

Westfield was strong. Good game to them. Their kicker can make that ball go almost as long as his mullet. Neither team was at their best in their respective losses to each other.

Stallions had a great season. At least we can agree that no one wants to see a beach team win next week - root for the North!

Posted by: Quiz Time ()
Date: December 05, 2015 09:01PM

Okay SoCo coaches, you ready for a quiz?

Scanlon lines up on the left, Frimpong on the right. Frimpong goes in motion.

What play is Westfield running?

Posted by: Conf 7 Guy ()
Date: December 05, 2015 09:11PM

Quiz Time Wrote:
> Okay SoCo coaches, you ready for a quiz?
>
> Scanlon lines up on the left, Frimpong on the
> right. Frimpong goes in motion.
>
> What play is Westfield running?

Several thousand people without headsets could see what wee coming. Nobody on the SoCo sidelines could, though.

Posted by: Knighthawk ()
Date: December 05, 2015 09:56PM

Knighthawk Wrote:
> Can't believe I'm saying this but Westfield will
> be representing the Northern Region in the State
> Final.
>
> If Robinson's defense could hold the SoCo offense
> to two TDs, then I think Westfield is going to
> dominate the Stallions.

Well, I called it. Westfield dominated the Stallions.

Maybe if the South County fans actually took the time to watch their games and how they won, they would have seen this coming, but all they could do was talk about their high powered offense.

Not to take away from their great offensive players, but it's easy to be a high powered offense when you play teams with no defense whatsoever. They saw last week what their team looks like when they play a team that actually knows what their doing on defense. If only Robinson didn't have a one dimensional offense the outcome would have been different.

I only saw South County live once and that was against Robinson but I watched highlights of their other games and replaying them over and over to see how they scored, what you saw where teams with little or no defense. Players out of position, or not capable of playing defense.

Congratulations to Westfield, representing the Concorde District and Northern Region next week.

Posted by: Capt Morgan ()
Date: December 05, 2015 09:57PM

Let's go Bulldogs! Take States and make us program alumni proud! Time to rock like it's 2007!

Posted by: WF QB ()
Date: December 05, 2015 10:06PM

You think Scanlon's dad is still demanding that he play QB??

Glad the Westfield coaching staff finally seemed to figure it out by putting Johnson at QB.

Posted by: Village Idiot ()
Date: December 05, 2015 10:42PM

Scanlns Dad didn't demand his kid played QB you idiot...Any one that knows anything knows Johnson is one bone-headed mistake away from serving another 30 Day suspension.. Glad he is deciding to be a team player... WF staff doesn't play those games Moron...

Posted by: Vhsl ()
Date: December 05, 2015 10:47PM

If Panoni has half a sack, he makes #1 who got ejected and #4 who took a cheap shot to earn the games last unsportsmanlike penalty apologize to the Northern Region for being the Douches that they were Today... That is on Coach and if he doesn't the school administration should take action on him...totally classless!

Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: December 05, 2015 10:59PM

I hate to complain about local sports coverage of high school football since I suppose we should just be happy anyone is covering it all these days - but geez, what a year it has been with the Washington Post, Fairfax Times, Connections newspapers both print and online making numerous mistakes and errors in their stories. I don't usually point it out because I'm glad there is some coverage.

One small example and I have many many more:
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/sports/westfield-advances-to-state-semifinals-to-face-undefeated--/article_55e711d0-9ae1-11e5-8cfd-bb3f7bcdefe5.html

What's wrong with the caption on the photo?

Posted by: Inside scoop ()
Date: December 05, 2015 11:21PM

So co s center got busted for possession of marijuana and got suspension. ...hecis son of South county commissioner little league football

Date: December 05, 2015 11:25PM

I'm curious about the QB switch by SoCo - was #11 injured or was Pannoni just trying to shake things up like he did in the first game against Westfield when he changed QB's after a few series?

This went pretty much like the LB game - reasonably close hard fought first half with an edge to Westfield - but total domination on the lines in the second half.

Really did not anticipate Westfield's performance over the last two games - they have kicked things up a notch. Mistake free football and huge edge in special teams play also. #5 for Westfield was spectacular on KO's, FG's and punts today.

Here's the thing - #17 is not really that much better a QB than #10 - pretty much a wash really. But #10 is much much better WR than #17.

Posted by: #10 ()
Date: December 05, 2015 11:50PM

RydellllRoad Wrote:
> I'm curious about the QB switch by SoCo - was #11
> injured or was Pannoni just trying to shake things
> up like he did in the first game against Westfield
> when he changed QB's after a few series?
>
> This went pretty much like the LB game -
> reasonably close hard fought first half with an
> edge to Westfield - but total domination on the
> lines in the second half.
>
> Really did not anticipate Westfield's performance
> over the last two games - they have kicked things
> up a notch. Mistake free football and huge edge
> in special teams play also. #5 for Westfield was
> spectacular on KO's, FG's and punts today.
>
> Here's the thing - #17 is not really that much
> better a QB than #10 - pretty much a wash really.
> But #10 is much much better WR than #17.

The thing is, #10 was drawing double coverage all day. They had a safety over the top the entire game. No other receiver on WF would draw that coverage. This opened up the run game and the middle of the field for the WRs.

Posted by: westfieldrox ()
Date: December 06, 2015 12:13AM

3-2-1 ... WIN!
Attachments:
Westfield 2015 NR Champions.jpg

Posted by: Two seven ()
Date: December 06, 2015 07:02AM

How in the hell are you supposed to win when your starting center the south county commissioner s son is busted for smoking marijuana and possession of marijuana 1 week before the biggest game of year??

Posted by: y73c3 ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:21AM

Two seven Wrote:
> How in the hell are you supposed to win when your
> starting center the south county commissioner s
> son is busted for smoking marijuana and possession
> of marijuana 1 week before the biggest game of
> year??

Is this a true fact? I have heard nothing about this.

Posted by: cheech and Chong ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:32AM

Told you cheech and Chong were seen on Campus a while Back, and Dont get your panties in a bunch..he wasnt any good to begin with and the word in the thread was the back up was going to dominate Leo all game...Im sure the kid had a better Day at home Blazin it up than his Team mates did getting Smacked silly...and Finally as the Haters have posted ad nauseum..no excuses remember when Westfield sat 6...skilled players..Roll A fatty and smoke it off!

Posted by: States ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:42AM

Congratulations to the Bulldogs of Westfield and Stone Bridge. Let's repeat 2007 when both went to Charlottesville and came home with a state championship.

Posted by: Conf 7 guy ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:46AM

Vhsl Wrote:
> If Panoni has half a sack, he makes #1 who got
> ejected and #4 who took a cheap shot to earn the
> games last unsportsmanlike penalty apologize to
> the Northern Region for being the Douches that
> they were Today... That is on Coach and if he
> doesn't the school administration should take
> action on him...totally classless!

Both Juniors. Both punks.

#1 should have to sit the first game next season.

This team has some experience with players being tossed. They know the drill.

Posted by: Hey Donkeys ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:09AM

My point is that the majority, not all, of you Fairfax worshippers assumed that the Division 6 schools would wipe the floor with even the best of the Loudoun Division 5 schools from top to bottom.

That was simply not true. The Loudoun schools pretty much rolled over any of the Fairfax schools, with the exception of the Top 4. That is what was surprising this year.

Robinson and Westfield are so much larger in population. You can't tell me that if Broad Run or Stone Bridge had another 800-1000 kids to chose from that they wouldn't beat even Westfield and Robinson regularly.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:33AM

Fact--Ben will be going to court next week for marijuana possession with intent to distribute. Starting center for soco and soco football commissioner s son..Ben and his brother are known dealers in the south county high schhool. ..

Date: December 06, 2015 09:39AM

Hey Donkeys Wrote:
> My point is that the majority, not all, of you
> Fairfax worshippers assumed that the Division 6
> schools would wipe the floor with even the best of
> the Loudoun Division 5 schools from top to
> bottom.

I don't believe anyone thought that. If you actually go back and read this thread from the start most posters assumed Loudoun would win the majority of the games.

> That was simply not true. The Loudoun schools
> pretty much rolled over any of the Fairfax
> schools, with the exception of the Top 4. That is
> what was surprising this year.

The only thing that surprised me is that Centreville and Chantilly could not pick-up a win.

> Robinson and Westfield are so much larger in
> population. You can't tell me that if Broad Run or
> Stone Bridge had another 800-1000 kids to chose
> from that they wouldn't beat even Westfield and
> Robinson regularly.

There is not a big enough size difference between SB/BR and WF/ROB for that to be a significant factor. There are probably more kids going out for football at SB/BR than there are at WF/ROB. Or at least the same. And Conference 14 is already competitive with Conference 5 and 7. So enrollment is not the issue. Some years the top teams in Conference 14 may be the best in the North. I just don't think that is the case this year.

Posted by: Double coverage ()
Date: December 06, 2015 01:28PM

Remember last week when some douche called for the LB coaches job because he did not double #10. Yesterday Soco doubled 10 and got gashed in the run. If you do not understand the game stay off the boards.

Posted by: Double Coverage ()
Date: December 06, 2015 01:39PM

Heard on Soco Sideline from Soco Coach as scanlon lined up on their side of Field and Corner moved up to press him and Safety bracketed over top..."this is how you stop him...all Day Baby" In background Frimpong comes in motion and their 6th string running back Gallops down the sideline for many of his 245...We only come to the Boards to read the ignorant and absurd jack-ass!

Posted by: Defense wins ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:19PM

Well, I was wrong. Sort of. Defense does win, I just didn't think it would happen quite the way it did yesterday. Congratulations to WF, especially to the defense. On the other side, SoCo cheated our safety over Scanlon for most of the day, basically saying we will not him beat us. Very successful, in that he didn't beat us. Made it easy to gash of long runs when there was no safety support, as well as some internal LB breakdowns that left the middle exposed. as I read this board, not sure that the WF defense is getting enough appreciation. The scheming was excellent, and it seemed that everyone contributed. #20, one of the smaller players on the field, had several standout plays. Congrats and good luck next week.

Posted by: Westfield Bulldogs ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:22PM

Any chance that the Bulldogs bring home the trophy to NOVA next week?

Posted by: westfielddadx2 ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:40PM

States Wrote:
> Congratulations to the Bulldogs of Westfield and
> Stone Bridge. Let's repeat 2007 when both went to
> Charlottesville and came home with a state
> championship.

I'll second that motion. Always rooting for the other Bulldogs when we are not playing each other.

Posted by: Capt. Morgan ()
Date: December 06, 2015 02:44PM

westfielddadx2 Wrote:
> States Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Congratulations to the Bulldogs of Westfield
> and
> > Stone Bridge. Let's repeat 2007 when both went
> to
> > Charlottesville and came home with a state
> > championship.
>
> I'll second that motion. Always rooting for the
> other Bulldogs when we are not playing each other.

I'll third that motion. Always rooting for stone bridge as well, go dawgs at the state title!!!

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: December 06, 2015 03:35PM

Any chance that the Bulldogs bring home the trophy to NOVA next week?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, they've got a 50/50 chance I guess! It won't be easy, going up against a quality team in Oscar Smith. Interestingly enough the two teams are pretty close in a points scored and allowed. OS averages 32.3 points a game, WF 29.3 and OS allows 9.7, WF 10.5 a game.

Looking at the OS schedule it would appear they played six 6A, three 5A, three 4A, and one 3A schools. WF played twelve 6A and two 5A schools, their strength of schedule of course is greater. Does that give WF an advantage of having played better competition, probably not.

Bottom line is the two teams left in 6A were two of the top schools coming into the season. The team that executes, plays fundamental football, and limits penalties & turnovers will win. Not sure that you could say going in either team has a distinct advantage over the other.

Just hope it's a good game and the forecast for temps in the 60's pans out!

Posted by: Blackhawk ()
Date: December 06, 2015 04:15PM

Two seven Wrote:
> How in the hell are you supposed to win when your
> starting center the south county commissioner s
> son is busted for smoking marijuana and possession
> of marijuana 1 week before the biggest game of
> year??

He wasn't. He got busted the week leading up to the Robinson game so the backup had at least one game under his belt.

Just another knucklehead, self entitled snot who thinks more of himself than the team.

Posted by: Big Balls ()
Date: December 06, 2015 06:01PM

Anyone who knows Westfield football knows #20 is lb for lb the toughest player on the field...that kid would be an unstoppable FREAK at 210-225 lbs.

Posted by: Defense wins ()
Date: December 06, 2015 07:18PM

I assume you were responding to my post. I don't know #20. He's not 220 pounds, so don't really understand your point. MY point was that he was a substantial contributor, and made several good plays that mattered in the greater scheme of things. He was not a player on the radar coming into the game, and I wanted to give him deserved credit for a good game.

Posted by: xXKU6 ()
Date: December 06, 2015 07:39PM

Who was the biggest bust LB or soco. I take LB prett soft schedule and choked same way as possible. Soco, still pretty big choke and huge upset. Not saying they should of won but westfields margin of winning was far too large. Soco did have one of the most high scoring offense in the state

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:06PM

"Soco, still pretty big choke and huge upset."

Huge win for Westfield? Absolutely. Huge upset? Not a chance. If you know what you are talking about you would know it was not an upset. I did expect a closer game, but when SC refused to adjust to the CB being pulled away from the play by Frimpong going in motion they were done. Add in that SC has played only one defense anywhere remotely near Westfield's caliber (Robinson-who probably should have won that game last week, IMO) and SC was not going to score a ton of points. Knighthawk, posting above, said what mattered. SC's offense, as good as it was, scored mostly against teams with bad defenses. The SC schedule was not as good as Westfield's. Saturday showed that, as well as SC was outcoached.

Posted by: Anar ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:23PM

So what happened to the south county starter exactly ?

Posted by: parole ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:56PM

We will tell you what happened to old dirt weed when Soco lines up and plays with 6 suspended starters.... Until then raise your Red Cups!

Posted by: What you say now ()
Date: December 06, 2015 08:56PM

First, congrats to Westfield for finally getting that monkey off their back. That was a very impressive victory but not a surprise in my opinion. As previously discussed Westfield's defense is hands down one of the better D's around. SOCO did have the weapons but as pointed out they put points up on lesser quality defenses.

Second, there were a ton of people popping off on this board whenever the WF fans mentioned the suspended offensive starters in the first SOCO vs WF game. In short those masses told the WF fans to stop making excuses. It would appear those missing players were a valid excuse based on the 40 points they put on the Stallions.

Third, there was much discussion about the lack of offense WF had early to mid season. Well that should have been expected, they basically started with their full cast at the 6th game of the season. It took them a little time but the coaches and players finally figured it out and now appear to be in stride. Since WF's defense stayed pretty much intact it's no surprise how consistent that unit has been. Throw in special teams and the Bulldogs are the team that everyone touted prior to the start of this season as being the best team in 6A North. So it should come as no shock the Bulldogs are heading to Charlottesville, that's what most the prognosticators told us was going to happen some 14 weeks ago. Westfield just had to come through more adversity than most to eventually become that team. They deserve it and certainly earned it!

Last of all where are all those "Buffalo Bills", "choke artists", "overrated", "stop making excuses", etc., etc. so called know-it-all posters now?!

Crickets, that's what I hear.....

Posted by: Westfield still sux ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:04PM

Westfield still blows - lucky because the rest of the North down this year.

Posted by: What you say now ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:32PM

> Westfield still blows - lucky because the rest of the North down this year.

Nice try idiot, go troll some other board!

Posted by: ok dad ()
Date: December 06, 2015 09:34PM

Okay Westfield Dad, little tense aren't you?

Posted by: niggers get beat again ()
Date: December 07, 2015 08:01AM

Glad those niggers from S County got whipped. Westfield has a good number of white players, though some of them are probably whites trying to act like nigger, but good luck next week.

Posted by: A fact ()
Date: December 07, 2015 08:09AM

Wf is the best in the region....no doubt....they deserve much credit for that.

But the scanlon QB demand is widely known in coaching circles...he said qb or he would go play somewhere else.

They could have put Pickett or a almost anyone back there and thrown him the ball this year.....should hey finally got it right. As others have said, that opened the whole other side to run on...no safety

Hey, Wf did it...he is a very talented athlete. Not what my family would have done but it worked out so far. I just hope he does not reclass again.

Posted by: A Wrong ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:00AM

A Wrong... A D-1 Basketball SIGNEE, A D-1 Basketball Signee, A D-1 Basketball Signees Dad tells the Football coach, My kid Plays QB or Else (WRONG Sport), after losing the State Final Basketball game by 1pt. on a last second Put back. Your an Idiot. He Came to play BASKETBALL and just happens to be a pretty good Football Player as well...People find his Father to be abrasive so they spout a bunch of garbage. Fortunately for Westfield the Kid is stand-up and is respected by his peers. Take your grudge with his father to the Man himself. And he will be on the Campus of Boston U next fall no worries, Playing BASKETBALL, unless his Dad demands Boston U. plays him at QB...

Posted by: westfield over everyone ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:14AM

fuck all the haters we the best nigga

Posted by: SL parent ()
Date: December 07, 2015 11:16AM

What on earth... Wrote:
> What just happened today is mind boggling... A
> team that was dead to rights against a south lakes
> team two weeks ago just beat the two regular
> season Titans a combined 61-15... Talk about a
> team figuring it out

Although I wouldn't call a 3 point defecit about 1/2 the 4th quarter remaining "dead to rights", I'm not as surprised that WF won the region as much as the dominating manner in which they won it.

I posted after the SL game that I thought WF didn't look as good as past WF teams but I may have overestimated how good those past teams were because they were playing such lousy South Lakes teams then. OS will test the "region is down" mantra going on in this thread, even if WF loses but plays them tough it will give that less credibility. Of course if that happens or WF wins then the new mantra will be "the state is down this year".

Posted by: GAU ()
Date: December 07, 2015 11:41AM

FYI, alignment will go to four regions in 2017. This will probably look something like Patriot and Liberty in one, Concorde and Cedar Run in another. That's 16 teams to 11; 12 when Colgan opens in PWC.

Posted by: Westfield All-Regional Picks ()
Date: December 07, 2015 12:23PM

As tweeted by WF ("U' is unanimous).

WF OL #73 Dominquez, Rodrigo 1st Team
WF Kick Returner #27 Greene, Tavon 1st Team
WF Place Kicker #5 Delaney, Brian 1st Team
WF Punter #5 Delaney, Brian 1st Team
WF D Player of the Year #2 Aiello, Jay 1st Team
WF Off Utility Player #10 Scanlon, Tyler 1st Team (U)
WF O Player of the Year #10 Scanlon, Tyler 1st Team (U)
WF D lineman #72 Leo, Chris 1st Team (U)
WF D End #2 Aiello, Jay 1st Team (U)
WF Linebacker #32 Petrillo, Kevin 1st Team (U)

WF Tight End #97 Cockrill, Nolan 2nd Team
WF D Back #25 Caron, Joe 2nd Team

WF D Back #8 Huling, Cole HM

WF Coach of the Year Simmons, Kyle

Posted by: footballobserver2 ()
Date: December 07, 2015 12:37PM

GAU Wrote:
> FYI, alignment will go to four regions in 2017.
> This will probably look something like Patriot and
> Liberty in one, Concorde and Cedar Run in another.
> That's 16 teams to 11; 12 when Colgan opens in
> PWC.

And what do you think 6A South will look like?

Date: December 07, 2015 12:42PM

footballobserver2 Wrote:
> GAU Wrote:
> -----
> > FYI, alignment will go to four regions in 2017.
> > This will probably look something like Patriot
> and
> > Liberty in one, Concorde and Cedar Run in
> another.
> > That's 16 teams to 11; 12 when Colgan opens in
> > PWC.
>
> And what do you think 6A South will look like?

The South already uses a subregion format, so I see no reason why that wouldn't carry over: one region for Hampton Roads (Confs 1-2), one for eastern PW, Stafford, Richmond, Midlothian (Confs 3-4). 12 and 13 schools.

Posted by: Region ()
Date: December 07, 2015 02:08PM

WF representing the All-Region Team rather nicely, 3 of those kids are Juniors and 1 is a sophomore. Nice Showing, where is the Full list posted for the other schools in the region?

Date: December 07, 2015 03:05PM

WF representing the All-Region Team rather nicely, 3 of those kids are Juniors and 1 is a sophomore. Nice Showing, where is the Full list posted for the other schools in the region?

-------------------------------------------------

Two juniors and one sophomore, There are 2 Greene's on the team, #27 is a senior.

Posted by: Otis The Barber ()
Date: December 07, 2015 03:34PM

I wasn't confused with the Greene Fella's I counted Delaney and his Mullet as 2!

Posted by: Bulldoggie ()
Date: December 07, 2015 05:22PM

Go Bulldogs!!
Ironically, this is probably the weakest of the last five teams, four of which couldn't get over the regional hump, but regardless they are the one team that got it done in the big game. I think both the 2011 and 2012 teams were the best of the lot, but no matter, on to the State finals. This program should be commended for their overall consistency and class in winning. It all starts with good coaching and they have had it for an extended period of time. Good luck Bulldogs!!!

Posted by: All North Region Team ()
Date: December 07, 2015 05:37PM

Does anyone know where to locate the entire All North Region Team?

Posted by: Funny3 ()
Date: December 07, 2015 08:44PM

Does anyone else find it hilarious that all the Westfield players openly acknowledged in interviews the fact that people called them the buffalo bills?

Date: December 07, 2015 09:09PM

Go Bulldogs!!
Ironically, this is probably the weakest of the last five teams, four of which couldn't get over the regional hump, but regardless they are the one team that got it done in the big game. I think both the 2011 and 2012 teams were the best of the lot, but no matter, on to the State finals. This program should be commended for their overall consistency and class in winning. It all starts with good coaching and they have had it for an extended period of time. Good luck Bulldogs!!!

Offensively yes, special teams coverage and defense, I'm not so sure. The 2012 team had the best offense out of the group, the 2015 team has the best D. If you look back the teams you mentioned were all around solid teams but I don't think any of them had a defense as strong as this years.

Posted by: Westfield needs the black couch ()
Date: December 07, 2015 09:57PM

What I think is funny is all the navel gazing Westfield fans do.....were you beaten as children? Seem like you need constant affirmation. Yes you are ok, yes your team did good, enjoy it - don't be such pussies.

Posted by: true dat ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:02PM

yep no shit, Westfield is a bunch of pussies, by the way half of the team should have been thrown off the team for entire season for all the dixie cupping but guess the desire to stop being the Buffalo Bills overtook better judgement of those in charge....good ethics Bulldogs

Posted by: Tough guy ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:02PM

> don't be such pussies.

Says the internet tough guy.....

Why read this thread since it most probably will be nothing but WF fans?

Posted by: That's smart ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:08PM

> yep no shit, Westfield is a bunch of pussies, by the way half of the team should have been thrown off the team for entire season for all the dixie cupping but guess the desire to stop being the Buffalo Bills overtook better judgement of those in charge....good ethics Bulldogs

Boy that's an intelligent statement, what's the matter, can't come up with any original stuff, you've got to go with the Dixie cup Buffalo Bills material.

BTW brainchild it's judgment, not judgement. Go to bed junior, it's past your bedtime!

Posted by: Bulldog for Life ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:32PM

all you parents have no lives, hope you guys have fun watching us get a ring on saturday btw all your kids suck at football tell them to quit and save there time lol

Date: December 07, 2015 10:41PM

Does anyone really know anything about Oscar Smith this year? I haven't seen them play since they got crushed by Centreville in 2013. I see they have the same QB. Do they still run the same offense? Who should I be watching on offense and defense?

Posted by: What if ()
Date: December 07, 2015 10:58PM

I typically don't like hypotheticals but what could this Bulldogs team have been without suspensions and injuries? What if Johnson played QB the whole year? Clancy has
been out for over half the year and let's not forget that the D1 RB for Westfield didn't even play this season. I seriously think this team could've challenged the '07 Bulldogs for 2nd best team in school history.

Posted by: Smith ()
Date: December 08, 2015 01:51AM

Oscar Smith has won all year with no Senior starters on defense. Three Div 1 studs transferred to Lake Taylor, Ocean Lakes and Indian River. Despite that, they built a lock down defense that has not allowed many points, maybe less than 100 including these playoffs. All of their closest games featured special teams plays that made the difference to win those games. Blocked extra points, blocked punts, runbacks of shanked punts, runbacks of onside kicks were commonplace. Beamer Ball like it used to be!

Next week i expect a battle royal. Westfield is like Smith in that they will both be very well prepared, disciplined and agressive until the final whistle. But if the game is close, Oscar Smith should have an advantage with their special teams.

Oh and they only have 3-4 seniors that start for this team. So, expect more of the same from them next year too!

Date: December 08, 2015 08:54AM

I looked more at alignment. I'm not sure how much input the existing conferences/districts will have in the new regions, but now might be the chance to make some changes.

Herndon wants out of Concorde. They would prefer to be in the Liberty with schools closer to their size. I would swap Herndon with Fairfax and South Lakes, which would work based on size and geography, and balance out the distribution of teams.

That would make a 13 team region of Battlefield, Stonewall, Osbourn, Osbourn Park, Patriot, Colgan (new PWC in 2016), Centreville, Chantilly, Oakton, Robinson, Westfield, Fairfax, and South Lakes. This also leaves room to grow for Prince William, which should open another in that area within a few years, and any Loudoun school that would move up.

The other region would be Hayfield, Langley, Madison, McLean, W-L, Yorktown, Herndon, Annandale, Lake Braddock, Mount Vernon, South County, West Potomac, West Springfield, TC Williams, Woodson. That's 15 schools. The problem is you have several teams on the bubble between 5A and 6A on that side of the county - TJ, Stuart, Edison, and Lee are all within about 100 students of being 6A. If those grow, you may have to bump someone like a Lake Braddock.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:03AM

Smith Wrote:
> Oscar Smith has won all year with no Senior
> starters on defense. Three Div 1 studs transferred
> to Lake Taylor, Ocean Lakes and Indian River.
> Despite that, they built a lock down defense that
> has not allowed many points, maybe less than 100
> including these playoffs. All of their closest
> games featured special teams plays that made the
> difference to win those games. Blocked extra
> points, blocked punts, runbacks of shanked punts,
> runbacks of onside kicks were commonplace. Beamer
> Ball like it used to be!
>
> Next week i expect a battle royal. Westfield is
> like Smith in that they will both be very well
> prepared, disciplined and agressive until the
> final whistle. But if the game is close, Oscar
> Smith should have an advantage with their special
> teams.
>
> Oh and they only have 3-4 seniors that start for
> this team. So, expect more of the same from them
> next year too!

I'm sorry, what? Oscar Smith has the advantage with their special teams? I forgot Westfield has the #1 overall kicker/punter in the COUNTRY....must have been a typo....

Posted by: footballobserver2 ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:07AM

Really? Wrote:
> Smith Wrote:
> -----
> > Oscar Smith has won all year with no Senior
> > starters on defense. Three Div 1 studs
> transferred
> > to Lake Taylor, Ocean Lakes and Indian River.
> > Despite that, they built a lock down defense
> that
> > has not allowed many points, maybe less than
> 100
> > including these playoffs. All of their closest
> > games featured special teams plays that made
> the
> > difference to win those games. Blocked extra
> > points, blocked punts, runbacks of shanked
> punts,
> > runbacks of onside kicks were commonplace.
> Beamer
> > Ball like it used to be!
> >
> > Next week i expect a battle royal. Westfield is
> > like Smith in that they will both be very well
> > prepared, disciplined and agressive until the
> > final whistle. But if the game is close, Oscar
> > Smith should have an advantage with their
> special
> > teams.
> >
> > Oh and they only have 3-4 seniors that start
> for
> > this team. So, expect more of the same from
> them
> > next year too!
>
> I'm sorry, what? Oscar Smith has the advantage
> with their special teams? I forgot Westfield has
> the #1 overall kicker/punter in the
> COUNTRY....must have been a typo....

South Lakes did block a Westfield FG attempt. That is the sort of thing Smith was talking about. But that is a rarity. Westfield has extremely solid special teams. They have quite a few blocks this season as well.

Posted by: Perspective1 ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:12AM

Really? Wrote:
> Smith Wrote:
> -----
> > Oscar Smith has won all year with no Senior
> > starters on defense. Three Div 1 studs
> transferred
> > to Lake Taylor, Ocean Lakes and Indian River.
> > Despite that, they built a lock down defense
> that
> > has not allowed many points, maybe less than
> 100
> > including these playoffs. All of their closest
> > games featured special teams plays that made
> the
> > difference to win those games. Blocked extra
> > points, blocked punts, runbacks of shanked
> punts,
> > runbacks of onside kicks were commonplace.
> Beamer
> > Ball like it used to be!
> >
> > Next week i expect a battle royal. Westfield is
> > like Smith in that they will both be very well
> > prepared, disciplined and agressive until the
> > final whistle. But if the game is close, Oscar
> > Smith should have an advantage with their
> special
> > teams.
> >
> > Oh and they only have 3-4 seniors that start
> for
> > this team. So, expect more of the same from
> them
> > next year too!
>
> I'm sorry, what? Oscar Smith has the advantage
> with their special teams? I forgot Westfield has
> the #1 overall kicker/punter in the
> COUNTRY....must have been a typo....

How about some perspetive...he isn't NEARLY the #1 kicker in the country. Don't be such a drama queen.

Posted by: TRP ()
Date: December 08, 2015 09:27AM

GAU Wrote:
> FYI, alignment will go to four regions in 2017.
> This will probably look something like Patriot and
> Liberty in one, Concorde and Cedar Run in another.
> That's 16 teams to 11; 12 when Colgan opens in
> PWC.

Is a four region alignment a done deal, and will it be implemented in all divisions and all regions? For divisions below 6A, four regions makes sense, given the wide geographical dispersement of the smaller schools, but the current 6A North is relatively compact. I'd be inclined to leave 6A north as a single region, though I would want to see how enrollments shake out, and whether any current 5A schools in Fairfax will move up. I think the VHSL tries to make all six divisions equal in size, so if there are only minimal new schools, a school that moves up to 6A causes some other school somewhere to move down to 5A.

If there are Arlington/Fairfax schools that can move up to 6A, I'd like to see all of PWC moved to the south. As the current alignment stands, none of the 5 PWC Northern region schools play anyone (in football at least) in Fairfax. The alignment is a bit unfair in other sports. In basketball, for example, the top four teams from each conference make the post season tournament. That means if you are, for example, in Conference 6, or 7, you have to be better than four teams, but if you are in Conference 5, you only have to be better than 2, and in Conference 8, you only have to be better than one.

Date: December 08, 2015 09:36AM

The committee voted 24-1 to "recommend" the four region format.

To keep the regions roughly equal, Prince William has to be split. I think that PWC cluster is a longer term issue. I'm assuming Colgan will be grouped with those schools as it will border Osbourn Park. Another high school will open on that side of the county in a few years. So they are growing, while Fairfax really is not.

Date: December 08, 2015 09:54AM

GAU Wrote:
> The committee voted 24-1 to "recommend" the four
> region format.
>
>
> To keep the regions roughly equal, Prince William
> has to be split. I think that PWC cluster is a
> longer term issue. I'm assuming Colgan will be
> grouped with those schools as it will border
> Osbourn Park. Another high school will open on
> that side of the county in a few years. So they
> are growing, while Fairfax really is not.

Thanks for the response to my question about whether the four region format is a done deal. I assume that your answer means that it's a done deal for all regions, even 6A North.

I suspect there will be some fluidity in enrollment numbers. As it stands now, 6A north is a total of 27 teams. You do need the 5 PWC teams to balance things out, but if Lee, Stuart, Edison, etc. are as close to the line for 6A as you say, that could provide enough schools in Arlington and Fairfax to have two of the regions, and reunite all of PWC. According to the last report, there are a bit over 300 schools in the VHSL. The right number for each classification is 52, +/- one or two.

I don't know how big the PWC schools are, but would they continue to be 6A size once the new school opens, and their enrollment is drained off a bit? I'd say it's hard to say.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:08AM

TRP Wrote:
> GAU Wrote:
> -----
> > The committee voted 24-1 to "recommend" the
> four
> > region format.
> >
> >
> > To keep the regions roughly equal, Prince
> William
> > has to be split. I think that PWC cluster is a
> > longer term issue. I'm assuming Colgan will be
> > grouped with those schools as it will border
> > Osbourn Park. Another high school will open on
> > that side of the county in a few years. So they
> > are growing, while Fairfax really is not.
>
> Thanks for the response to my question about
> whether the four region format is a done deal. I
> assume that your answer means that it's a done
> deal for all regions, even 6A North.
>
> I suspect there will be some fluidity in
> enrollment numbers. As it stands now, 6A north is
> a total of 27 teams. You do need the 5 PWC teams
> to balance things out, but if Lee, Stuart, Edison,
> etc. are as close to the line for 6A as you say,
> that could provide enough schools in Arlington and
> Fairfax to have two of the regions, and reunite
> all of PWC. According to the last report, there
> are a bit over 300 schools in the VHSL. The right
> number for each classification is 52, +/- one or
> two.
>
> I don't know how big the PWC schools are, but
> would they continue to be 6A size once the new
> school opens, and their enrollment is drained off
> a bit? I'd say it's hard to say.

Yes, I assume those PWC schools will stay 6A, as they are among the biggest in the state. I believe Colgan draws from Woodbridge (2nd biggest), Osbourn Park (4th), and Hylton (13th).

The question then is are Lee, Stuart, and Edison growing. Here is an interesting enrollment tool: http://www.fcps.edu/fts/dashboard/enrollment/hsenroll15-16.html. But as they grow, that would bump some of the smaller 6A elsewhere in the state, which could then result in having to pull all of PWC down.

Along with the four regions, they are going to a four year cycle, so schools will only move in the middle of that cycle if they become 5% above or below the ceiling. I think Fairfax is more stable than Prince William and certainly Loudoun, because they don't need to open high schools, they can just reboundary.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:17AM

FYI, based on that tool and looking at 2017 when the alignment will be done, all FCPS schools except Lee will be bigger than the smallest 6A school currently (1842 students). That would be enough to crowd out the PWC schools.

Posted by: Smith ()
Date: December 08, 2015 11:02AM

Smith special teams vs Westfield. Having a great kicker can definitely be an advantage and flip the field. I cannot dispute that point. But here is an example of the Tiger's Beamer Ball this year. Against Ocean Lakes, they not only methodically found the weak spots in their zone defense, stopped them on four 4th down conversions, but they also had 3 major special teams plays that made a very close game not so close.

With the score 20-19 and Ocean Lakes gaining the momentum late in the game and kicking the game tying extra point, 3 rushers converged on their holder & kicker which forced them to rush the place kick. The ball hit the uprights.

With the kick-off Ocean Lakes tried an onsides kick but Smith caught the ball off the bounce and ran the ball down to the 2 yard line and then scored quickly.

The Smith Kick-off, from the 45 due to a penalty, to Lakes was placed perfectly deep in the right corner at the 2 yard line. Ocean Lakes was severly harassed but the player got away by running back into the endzone and tried to get to the edge. But Smith was relentless and converged on him. The Lakes player tried a forward pass for the penalty & 2 point safety.

Game over... Ocean Lakes had the momentum in the game and was about to tie the score with about 3 1/2 min left. Their defense was beginning to hold Smith better and a deep kick-off along with a defensive stand vs an onsides kick was what had been expected but Smith planned for the onsides kick and was ready. On the kick off from the 45, if that kick was through the end zone, Lakes would have had the ball at the 20 and could have been prepared to try to march down the field with a full 2 minutes left to do so. They never had their offense back on the field after that 20-19 score!!!

Ocean Lakes lost 29-19 and didn't know what hit them. (#6 National team ranking in the country sitting at home with about a dozen Div 1 recruits including at least 2 that had transferred from Smith too!)

Again, I think we are in for a great game in Charlottesville. Special Teams will likely play a part Saturday. Westfield's kicking game vs Oscar Smith trying to score off every punt to block, every extra point to block, run backs, etc.

Someone asked what to expect from Oscar Smith. This is not the team of 2013 that relied on a couple of 5 Star recuits. That team would get caught up watching those players make great plays. So, when they played Centerville, they weren't prepared to play sound defense. This team is more like the 2011 team with everyone playing at an exceptionally high level of focus and and execution.

Again, I suspect Westfield to be very similar to Smith which will make for a great game. You won't get any hate from me about Westfield. Y'all have a great program that deserves respect too.

I just hope your fans are better than what I had seen from Centerville over the years. Just please try to act like the fans that attend the typical UVA football games on Saturday in Scott Stadium and keep the jouvenile taunting to your friends and siblings.

Date: December 08, 2015 12:26PM

GAU Wrote:
> FYI, based on that tool and looking at 2017 when
> the alignment will be done, all FCPS schools
> except Lee will be bigger than the smallest 6A
> school currently (1842 students). That would be
> enough to crowd out the PWC schools.

If that is the case, then the PWC schools would be sent south and the two regions that would replace the current Northern Region would be exclusively Fairfax Co, Arlington, and Alexandria.

I've read that Herndon wants out of Concorde. I'd give them that, but I'd align them with South Lakes, a Natural Rival. I've also read that Woodson wants to be aligned with Fairfax (also natural rivals).

There would be 27 schools, and this would be how I'd break up the conferences, with the idea to pair up natural rivals and make them relatively geographically compact:

1. (old Concorde): Centreville, Chantilly, Oakton, Robinson, Westfield and Lake Braddock (new).

2. (the southeastern part of our area): West Potomac, Mt. Vernon, Hayfield, South County, TCW, Edison, West Springfield.

3. (the northeastern part of our area): Yorktown, W-L, McLean, Langley, Madison, Marshall (Madison and Marshall are natural rivals), and TJ (who would move back up to 6A)

4. (the rest): Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax, Woodson, Falls Church, Stuart, Annandale.

Each of these has 7, except for the Old Concorde, which has 6, meaning fairly balanced in numbers. You could switch a few of the schools in #3 and #4, but any switch should preserve certain natural rivalry pairs: Yorktown and W-L; Langley and McLean, Madison and Marshall; and Fairfax and Woodson (Woodson also has a bit of a rivalry with Annandale).

After this, just pick two of these groupings for one region, and two for the other region.

In 5A, all that is left would be Lee and Wakefield, which could be send to what is now Conference 14 (the five Loudon schools).

Date: December 08, 2015 12:27PM

Smith Wrote:
> Smith special teams vs Westfield. Having a great
> kicker can definitely be an advantage and flip the
> field. I cannot dispute that point. But here is an
> example of the Tiger's Beamer Ball this year.
> Against Ocean Lakes, they not only methodically
> found the weak spots in their zone defense,
> stopped them on four 4th down conversions, but
> they also had 3 major special teams plays that
> made a very close game not so close.
>
> With the score 20-19 and Ocean Lakes gaining the
> momentum late in the game and kicking the game
> tying extra point, 3 rushers converged on their
> holder & kicker which forced them to rush the
> place kick. The ball hit the uprights.
>
> With the kick-off Ocean Lakes tried an onsides
> kick but Smith caught the ball off the bounce and
> ran the ball down to the 2 yard line and then
> scored quickly.
>
> The Smith Kick-off, from the 45 due to a penalty,
> to Lakes was placed perfectly deep in the right
> corner at the 2 yard line. Ocean Lakes was severly
> harassed but the player got away by running back
> into the endzone and tried to get to the edge. But
> Smith was relentless and converged on him. The
> Lakes player tried a forward pass for the penalty
> & 2 point safety.
>
> Game over... Ocean Lakes had the momentum in the
> game and was about to tie the score with about 3
> 1/2 min left. Their defense was beginning to hold
> Smith better and a deep kick-off along with a
> defensive stand vs an onsides kick was what had
> been expected but Smith planned for the onsides
> kick and was ready. On the kick off from the 45,
> if that kick was through the end zone, Lakes would
> have had the ball at the 20 and could have been
> prepared to try to march down the field with a
> full 2 minutes left to do so. They never had their
> offense back on the field after that 20-19
> score!!!
>
> Ocean Lakes lost 29-19 and didn't know what hit
> them. (#6 National team ranking in the country
> sitting at home with about a dozen Div 1 recruits
> including at least 2 that had transferred from
> Smith too!)
>
> Again, I think we are in for a great game in
> Charlottesville. Special Teams will likely play a
> part Saturday. Westfield's kicking game vs Oscar
> Smith trying to score off every punt to block,
> every extra point to block, run backs, etc.
>
> Someone asked what to expect from Oscar Smith.
> This is not the team of 2013 that relied on a
> couple of 5 Star recuits. That team would get
> caught up watching those players make great plays.
> So, when they played Centerville, they weren't
> prepared to play sound defense. This team is more
> like the 2011 team with everyone playing at an
> exceptionally high level of focus and and
> execution.
>
> Again, I suspect Westfield to be very similar to
> Smith which will make for a great game. You won't
> get any hate from me about Westfield. Y'all have a
> great program that deserves respect too.
>
> I just hope your fans are better than what I had
> seen from Centerville over the years. Just please
> try to act like the fans that attend the typical
> UVA football games on Saturday in Scott Stadium
> and keep the jouvenile taunting to your friends
> and siblings.

I don't think you will see much in the way of trick plays/onside kicks from Westfield. They are usually very conservative. The only thing OS will need to worry about is honestly I don't think anyone knows who will start and play at QB for most of the game. I assume now it will #17 but who knows? I just question whether Westfield will be able to run at all on OS. South County defense was a bit over-rated all year it seems and I guarantee #24 is not getting 250 yards on OS.

Re: K/P #5 - he actually is rated #1 in his class in some rankings.
http://kohlskicking.com/recruiting/national-rating-system/kickers/2017
"Brian showed once again that he is the top combo prospect in the country at the 2015 National Scholarship Camp."
From the games I was at this year he gave Westfield a huge field position edge in the kicking and punting game. His play against SoCo was as good as I have seen from him. He definitely rose to the occasion.

Every team has obnoxious fans but I find Westfield crowds are usually very sporting and gentleman-like. Except for a few. Don't really pay attention to the kids.

Curious why you think kids transferred away from Oscar Smith? This is their 4 title appearance in 8 years - you would think that would attract players.

Date: December 08, 2015 01:09PM

What about the few Oscar smith fans that decided to be right in the middle of the Cville fans. Taunting. Please. Kids will be kids. Want them to go the losing teams fans a hug??

Posted by: Sparrow ()
Date: December 08, 2015 01:29PM

TRP Wrote:
> GAU Wrote:
> -----
> > FYI, based on that tool and looking at 2017
> when
> > the alignment will be done, all FCPS schools
> > except Lee will be bigger than the smallest 6A
> > school currently (1842 students). That would be
> > enough to crowd out the PWC schools.
>
> If that is the case, then the PWC schools would be
> sent south and the two regions that would replace
> the current Northern Region would be exclusively
> Fairfax Co, Arlington, and Alexandria.
>
> I've read that Herndon wants out of Concorde. I'd
> give them that, but I'd align them with South
> Lakes, a Natural Rival. I've also read that
> Woodson wants to be aligned with Fairfax (also
> natural rivals).
>
> There would be 27 schools, and this would be how
> I'd break up the conferences, with the idea to
> pair up natural rivals and make them relatively
> geographically compact:
>
> 1. (old Concorde): Centreville, Chantilly,
> Oakton, Robinson, Westfield and Lake Braddock
> (new).
>
> 2. (the southeastern part of our area): West
> Potomac, Mt. Vernon, Hayfield, South County, TCW,
> Edison, West Springfield.
>
> 3. (the northeastern part of our area):
> Yorktown, W-L, McLean, Langley, Madison, Marshall
> (Madison and Marshall are natural rivals), and TJ
> (who would move back up to 6A)
>
> 4. (the rest): Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax,
> Woodson, Falls Church, Stuart, Annandale.
>
> Each of these has 7, except for the Old Concorde,
> which has 6, meaning fairly balanced in numbers.
> You could switch a few of the schools in #3 and
> #4, but any switch should preserve certain natural
> rivalry pairs: Yorktown and W-L; Langley and
> McLean, Madison and Marshall; and Fairfax and
> Woodson (Woodson also has a bit of a rivalry with
> Annandale).
>
> After this, just pick two of these groupings for
> one region, and two for the other region.
>
> In 5A, all that is left would be Lee and
> Wakefield, which could be send to what is now
> Conference 14 (the five Loudon schools).

This is a total mess the way you have it lined up. How can you say geographically compact but have JEB Stuart having to possibly travel to Herndon and South Lakes?

Then only keep Wakefield and Lee in 5A but have them travel to 5 Loudoun Schools?

I agree that Herndon shouldn't be in the Concorde but it wouldn't be any better for them in another conference.

Also, not being in the same conference hasn't stopped Woodson and Fairfax from playing each other the past three years.

Date: December 08, 2015 01:40PM

Sparrow Wrote:
> TRP Wrote:
> -----
> > GAU Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > FYI, based on that tool and looking at 2017
> > when
> > > the alignment will be done, all FCPS schools
> > > except Lee will be bigger than the smallest
> 6A
> > > school currently (1842 students). That would
> be
> > > enough to crowd out the PWC schools.
> >
> > If that is the case, then the PWC schools would
> be
> > sent south and the two regions that would
> replace
> > the current Northern Region would be
> exclusively
> > Fairfax Co, Arlington, and Alexandria.
> >
> > I've read that Herndon wants out of Concorde.
> I'd
> > give them that, but I'd align them with South
> > Lakes, a Natural Rival. I've also read that
> > Woodson wants to be aligned with Fairfax (also
> > natural rivals).
> >
> > There would be 27 schools, and this would be
> how
> > I'd break up the conferences, with the idea to
> > pair up natural rivals and make them relatively
> > geographically compact:
> >
> > 1. (old Concorde): Centreville, Chantilly,
> > Oakton, Robinson, Westfield and Lake Braddock
> > (new).
> >
> > 2. (the southeastern part of our area): West
> > Potomac, Mt. Vernon, Hayfield, South County,
> TCW,
> > Edison, West Springfield.
> >
> > 3. (the northeastern part of our area):
> > Yorktown, W-L, McLean, Langley, Madison,
> Marshall
> > (Madison and Marshall are natural rivals), and
> TJ
> > (who would move back up to 6A)
> >
> > 4. (the rest): Herndon, South Lakes, Fairfax,
> > Woodson, Falls Church, Stuart, Annandale.
> >
> > Each of these has 7, except for the Old
> Concorde,
> > which has 6, meaning fairly balanced in numbers.
>
> > You could switch a few of the schools in #3 and
> > #4, but any switch should preserve certain
> natural
> > rivalry pairs: Yorktown and W-L; Langley and
> > McLean, Madison and Marshall; and Fairfax and
> > Woodson (Woodson also has a bit of a rivalry
> with
> > Annandale).
> >
> > After this, just pick two of these groupings
> for
> > one region, and two for the other region.
> >
> > In 5A, all that is left would be Lee and
> > Wakefield, which could be send to what is now
> > Conference 14 (the five Loudon schools).
>
> This is a total mess the way you have it lined up.
> How can you say geographically compact but have
> JEB Stuart having to possibly travel to Herndon
> and South Lakes?
>
> Then only keep Wakefield and Lee in 5A but have
> them travel to 5 Loudoun Schools?
>
> I agree that Herndon shouldn't be in the Concorde
> but it wouldn't be any better for them in another
> conference.
>
> Also, not being in the same conference hasn't
> stopped Woodson and Fairfax from playing each
> other the past three years.

Lee and Wakefield travelling to Loudoun is a result of their size. It is possible they could be the only 5A schools in Fairfax/Arlington and thus would have to be aligned with Loudoun.

But still, this is a small area – travel isn’t an issue. Stuart to Herndon - big deal.

Date: December 08, 2015 02:02PM

GAU Wrote:
> Sparrow Wrote:
> -----
> > TRP Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > GAU Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > FYI, based on that tool and looking at 2017
> > > when
> > > > the alignment will be done, all FCPS
> schools
> > > > except Lee will be bigger than the smallest
> > 6A
> > > > school currently (1842 students). That
> would
> > be
> > > > enough to crowd out the PWC schools.
> > >
> > > If that is the case, then the PWC schools
> would
> > be
> > > sent south and the two regions that would
> > replace
> > > the current Northern Region would be
> > exclusively
> > > Fairfax Co, Arlington, and Alexandria.
> > >
> > > I've read that Herndon wants out of Concorde.
>
> > I'd
> > > give them that, but I'd align them with South
> > > Lakes, a Natural Rival. I've also read that
> > > Woodson wants to be aligned with Fairfax
> (also
> > > natural rivals).
> > >
> > > There would be 27 schools, and this would be
> > how
> > > I'd break up the conferences, with the idea
> to
> > > pair up natural rivals and make them
> relatively
> > > geographically compact:
> > >
> > > 1. (old Concorde): Centreville, Chantilly,
> > > Oakton, Robinson, Westfield and Lake Braddock
> > > (new).
> > >
> > > 2. (the southeastern part of our area): West
> > > Potomac, Mt. Vernon, Hayfield, South County,
> > TCW,
> > > Edison, West Springfield.
> > >
> > > 3. (the northeastern part of our area):
> > > Yorktown, W-L, McLean, Langley, Madison,
> > Marshall
> > > (Madison and Marshall are natural rivals),
> and
> > TJ
> > > (who would move back up to 6A)
> > >
> > > 4. (the rest): Herndon, South Lakes,
> Fairfax,
> > > Woodson, Falls Church, Stuart, Annandale.
> > >
> > > Each of these has 7, except for the Old
> > Concorde,
> > > which has 6, meaning fairly balanced in
> numbers.
> >
> > > You could switch a few of the schools in #3
> and
> > > #4, but any switch should preserve certain
> > natural
> > > rivalry pairs: Yorktown and W-L; Langley and
> > > McLean, Madison and Marshall; and Fairfax and
> > > Woodson (Woodson also has a bit of a rivalry
> > with
> > > Annandale).
> > >
> > > After this, just pick two of these groupings
> > for
> > > one region, and two for the other region.
> > >
> > > In 5A, all that is left would be Lee and
> > > Wakefield, which could be send to what is now
> > > Conference 14 (the five Loudon schools).
> >
> > This is a total mess the way you have it lined
> up.
> > How can you say geographically compact but have
> > JEB Stuart having to possibly travel to Herndon
> > and South Lakes?
> >
> > Then only keep Wakefield and Lee in 5A but have
> > them travel to 5 Loudoun Schools?
> >
> > I agree that Herndon shouldn't be in the
> Concorde
> > but it wouldn't be any better for them in
> another
> > conference.
> >
> > Also, not being in the same conference hasn't
> > stopped Woodson and Fairfax from playing each
> > other the past three years.
>
>
> Lee and Wakefield travelling to Loudoun is a
> result of their size. It is possible they could be
> the only 5A schools in Fairfax/Arlington and thus
> would have to be aligned with Loudoun.
>
> But still, this is a small area – travel isn’t
> an issue. Stuart to Herndon - big deal.

Thank you, GAU, for the defense. It's not perfect, but it's not a mess. If one is so concerned about Stuart, we could put them with the Yorktown group, but the problem with that is that gives that group 8 schools, and the group they leave, 6. I'd much prefer to have the conferences balanced out as much as possible. Stuart gets Annandale and Falls Church in this alignment, and those schools are pretty close.

And, I'd still rather put natural rivals in the same group, when possible. If you do that, for football, you can follow the scheduling convention of having the rivals play the last game of their respective season. If one team, or both, are having a bad season, and don't have anything to play for competitively, they will still get up for their rival, regardless of records.

Finally, yes, Lee and Wakefield to Loudon isn't ideal, but it's a function of them being the only 5A teams left in Arlington/Fairfax under those projected enrollements. It's much worse for George Mason High School (in the City of Falls Church). They have to travel all the way out to the Shenandoah Valley for their opponents.

Posted by: Knighthawk ()
Date: December 08, 2015 02:12PM

If both Lee and Wakefield are the only true Northern Virginia schools that would be left in 5A, then they have no choice but to travel to Loudoun to play Briar Woods, Broad Run, Potomac Falls, Stone Bridge and Tuscarora.

The travel would be for only 3 or 2 games depending on the home and away schedule and they could still maintain their rivalries with the other schools that moved up to 6A.

If that were the case, I would realign the "districts" as so.

Concorde - Centreville, Chantilly, Westfield, South Lakes, Herndon, Robinson

Patriot - Fairfax, Oakton, Woodson, Lake Braddock, West Springfield, South County
Annandale

Liberty - Langley, Madison, McLean, W&L, Yorktown, Marshall, T.C. Williams

National - West Potomac, Mount Vernon, Hayfield, Edison, Falls Church, Stuart, TJ

Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324AllNext
Current Page: 22 of 24

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.