HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324AllNext
Current Page: 20 of 24
Re: High School Football 2015
Posted by: RydellllRoad ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:38AM

Robinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Robinson wins tonight and SC wins tonight, do
> you think they have what it takes to beat SC next
> round?

I don't think so. SC is not bad against the run and I think they can hold ROB in check enough. If ROB had a decent passing game I think they could put up some decent numbers against SC secondary. And although ROB defense is among the best SC will definitely score points. So unless it is a bad weather game and turns into a defensive struggle ala 0-3 vs Westfield and SC gets turnoveritis again I don't see it happening. Just my opinion - that's why they play the games.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Agree 2 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 12:38PM

RydellllRoad Wrote:
> Robinson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If Robinson wins tonight and SC wins tonight,
> do
> > you think they have what it takes to beat SC
> next
> > round?
>
> I don't think so. SC is not bad against the run
> and I think they can hold ROB in check enough. If
> ROB had a decent passing game I think they could
> put up some decent numbers against SC secondary.
> And although ROB defense is among the best SC will
> definitely score points. So unless it is a bad
> weather game and turns into a defensive struggle
> ala 0-3 vs Westfield and SC gets turnoveritis
> again I don't see it happening. Just my opinion -
> that's why they play the games.

I agree that SC would have to shoot theirselves in the foot not to advance to the NR Championship game.

What about the other side, seeing both WF and LB play, I think LB has the upper hand.

I would love to see a SC LB rematch for the NR Championship!!

Posted by: Jut my opinion ()
Date: November 20, 2015 02:13PM

Just my opinion but if there were to be a Robinson vs. SOCO game it could be pretty interesting. Yes SOCO has a good run defense but I think Robinson has the best run game out of the remaining teams. Good sized OL and 3 quality RB's who are always fresh with that rotation.

If Robinson could grind it out on the ground that bodes well for their D, which next to Westfield, has the second best D of the remaining teams. SOCO is a very talented offense, the key is to keep them on the sideline which a team that has a great run game can do.

Who knows, it could also wind up being a blowout in favor of SOCO but that would be very surprising. As the previous poster said, that's why they play the game.

The LB vs. WF match up would also be interesting, LB is a very balanced team on O and has a good D. But I read the other day on Gameday that the starting D for WF had only given up 56 points all year. That's pretty impressive, too bad they don't have a consistent offense or they would an impressive team. You also have to think that if these teams play next week lady luck might also be in LB's side since WF has ended their season in the very same game the past 2 years.

Posted by: 63vLx ()
Date: November 20, 2015 02:22PM

Are we so sure that Battlefield doesn't have a chance tonight?

Date: November 20, 2015 02:27PM

Are we so sure that Battlefield doesn't have a chance tonight?

Good team but I would agree with previous poster, PW County teams were down a bit this year. LB is a very good team, probably a little too much firepower for Battlefield to handle.

Posted by: All great points ()
Date: November 20, 2015 03:06PM

I like the fact the thread got back to sound, civil thoughts on Football.....Robinson should control the ball vs Chantilly tonight, but if Tilly gets one extra break, they could win it.....then SC Tilly game could be 58 to 48....a track meet.

Soco coming back vs LB was so big for them....many teams would have folded. This might be their year for the region. More mature...better D...and at home.

Posted by: Not my opinion ()
Date: November 20, 2015 04:19PM

WF has ended their season the first week of December the last 2 years...they always feast after Thanksgiving...and for the record, they have beaten LB in the post season the last 2 years once being down 16 to 0 and last year destroying them 41 to 0 at half...so not diminishing LB this year however your opinion doesn't mean s$$t since you don't even know the Facts... Back to the bar lush!

Date: November 20, 2015 04:35PM

Not my opinion Wrote:
> WF has ended their season the first week of
> December the last 2 years...they always feast
> after Thanksgiving...and for the record, they have
> beaten LB in the post season the last 2 years once
> being down 16 to 0 and last year destroying them
> 41 to 0 at half...so not diminishing LB this year
> however your opinion doesn't mean s$$t since you
> don't even know the Facts... Back to the bar lush!

You must be drinking. I've seen a lot of Westfield football over the years and this season's offense is pretty anemic to be blunt. The worst part is there has been virtually no improvement - to my eye anyway - between Week 1 and Week 11. Their defense may bail them out but I would not be so confident of making it past the semi-finals. Coach Simmons has lost 8 games to only 4 different teams in the last 5 years - 2 of those losses were to Lake Braddock.

Date: November 20, 2015 04:46PM

WF has ended their season the first week of December the last 2 years...they always feast after Thanksgiving...and for the record, they have beaten LB in the post season the last 2 years once being down 16 to 0 and last year destroying them 41 to 0 at half...so not diminishing LB this year however your opinion doesn't mean s$$t since you don't even know the Facts... Back to the bar lush!

First, I mentioned in my post that LB had been beaten the past two seasons in next Saturday's game. Second, I've followed and been to every WF game over the past 9 seasons. I'm pretty well versed in their program, have had sons play in it.

I've also witnessed the ineptness of this years offense between lousy OL play, no consistent run game, and horrible play calling. I was merely pointing out that if WF had any kind of an O they would be the clear cut favorite in my book. However, as the SOCO game proved they cannot win if the game becomes a scoring match.

BTW, I'm totally sober, unlike you I'm being realistic at WF's chances next week if they win tonight. Maybe you should read the entire post before lashing out at people. Up until your comment it had been a pretty legitimate thread!

Posted by: Knighthawk ()
Date: November 20, 2015 09:54PM

Just finished watching an amazing end to the Chantilly - Robinson game.

Chantilly ties it at 24 with 29 seconds left, kickoff and Robinson takes it to the Rams 43 with 22 seconds left. First play, pass to the RB down the middle to the Charger 28. Second play, 28 Yard TD pass with 7 seconds left to win the game!

Backup RB lines up as the TE comes out to the left for the pass. CB runs to the inside and doesn't react soon enough to get back over and stop the TD pass.

Great game.

Posted by: y4MFY ()
Date: November 20, 2015 09:57PM

Soco wins 42-9
LB wins 13-10
Robinson wins 31-24
Westfield up 24-13 last time I saw

Posted by: XmjUK ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:09PM

next week

Robinson at South County
Westfield at Lake Braddock

Cosby at Thomas Dale
Ocean Lakes at Oscar Smith

Posted by: GAU ()
Date: November 20, 2015 10:22PM

Tuscarora won.
Potomac Falls lost.
Woodgrove won.
Stone Bridge 35 Broad Run 10

Date: November 20, 2015 11:08PM

So I took in the Westfield-South Lakes game. SL was definitely not the easy win as in the past four seasons when Westfield outscored SL 204-33. A lot more players on the sidelines and they were well coached. Brought a large crowd to the game also.

Westfield's defense just kept sitting back on SL bubble screens and sideline passes and were content to keep the play in front of them but gave up a lot of yardage.

Scanlon ran one in just before the half after nice defensive stand and short punt gave Westfield the ball at the SL 23. So 7-0 at the half.

Westfield goes up 10-0 after another drive stalls and a short FG. After a WF punt pins SL on their own 1 yard line South Lakes delivers the first real punch of the game - WF geared up to run stop a safety but SL hits a sideline pass for a 99 yard TD and monster momentum shift. SL misses XP 10-6. Westfield punts and SL keeps momentum with a nice drive for a TD going up 13-10.

WF then makes a counter-punch returning the KO for a TD and retaking lead 17-13. After watching a dozen or more predictable sideline completions throughout the game WF LB #1 finally decides to actually step up and picks SL pass inside SL 30. WF punches it in 24-13 final score.

Say what you want WF OL had a solid game. WF QB had plenty of time to throw but did not have a good game and stepped into the pressure/rush resulting in a number of big loss sacks. Held the ball way too long, missed a couple wide open receivers. And WF WR's did not make a play all night long. Many opportunities to make a play /make a big catch. Did not get it done. Why #82 is not the main target I don't know. He is always open and always makes the catches. Running game was solid. #24 plenty adequate - probably had 150 yards rushing. WF did break out perhaps the 10th RB of the season - they actually gave a series in the second half to a freshman RB.

In sum, WF played well enough to win... but LB has to be considered a solid favorite to win next Saturday.

Posted by: Painful ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:17PM

Anyone who was at the Westfield vs. South Lakes game tonight think it was just a brutal game to watch as I did? It was 7-0 WF at the half, 13-10 SL early 4th.

Only by the grace of a higher power did WF turn it around in the 4th. Had a kick off return for a TD right after SL took the lead. Then WF intercepted the ball very next SL possession to set up another short score.

Thought SL actually was the better team in terms of how they played. They just looked like they wanted it more. God, WF's O line is atrocious, not sure why #66 plays at all, cannot block to save his life.

All year WF's OL has not been very good, it appears their going backward in terms of play. It's amazing that they can't either coach these kids up or find snyone else to do s better job.

Also, does #4 and #11 on WF understand the job of a WR is to catch the ball. These two should be nicknamed the butterfinger brothers, good grief.

Hope you enjoyed yourself tonight WF, cause it seems that next week will probably be the end of the road. Don't kid yourself, other than your defense your not very good!

Posted by: vMnke ()
Date: November 20, 2015 11:18PM

I didn't see the game, but it doesn't look like LB was exactly lighting it up tonight either.

Date: November 20, 2015 11:53PM

Painful Wrote:
> Anyone who was at the Westfield vs. South Lakes
> game tonight think it was just a brutal game to
> watch as I did?

I thought it was a pretty exciting game - when was the last time you ever saw WF come from behind to win? Two years ago vs LB maybe? You think other teams are just going to roll over and die?

> Thought SL actually was the better team in terms
> of how they played. They just looked like they
> wanted it more.

SL offense was more polished yes but they played small ball except for 1 big play. WF did look at times like they were not very interested in the game. Sometimes it takes being an underdog or playing vs a rival to fire them up.

> WF's O line is atrocious

Disagree - they were plenty adequate tonight. Not their fault no one was making any plays. #10 had time to throw on most plays. And the running game was not ineffective.

> Also, does #4 and #11 on WF understand the job of
> a WR is to catch the ball.

They did not make any plays.

> Hope you enjoyed yourself tonight WF, cause it
> seems that next week will probably be the end of
> the road.

Probably.

WF needs more plays in their arsenal. No mis-direction, no counter plays - every single play all game long goes exactly where you think it's gonna go. Defense is never guessing. Special teams had an excellent night other than the roughing the punter.

Posted by: SL fan ()
Date: November 21, 2015 06:00AM

Brutal? No. It was a good game to watch. I thought South Lakes outplayed them a good portion of the game and gave it away with the mistakes they made. Too many turnovers and dropped balls for South Lakes did them in. Too bad, they had a great season and looked like it could have continued.

I hadn't seen Westfield this year. Hats off to their players and coaches for doing what SL has done all year in the types of games, keep fighting and finding a way to win.

Posted by: Young Lion ()
Date: November 21, 2015 07:41AM

South Lakes should be commended on a job well done, what a difference a year or two make(s), along with attitude and Coaching. SL had many 2 way athletes that just ran out of Gas towards the end...#56 Justin May (an undersized kid) played like an All American #76 brought it also...Great year for SL..you should be proud each and every one of you.

Posted by: steve k2* ()
Date: November 21, 2015 08:50AM

5A
Atlee @ Tuscarora (-21.0)
*Tuscarora won 42-27

Potomac Falls @ Massaponax (-10.0)
*Massaponax won 28-7

Stone Bridge @ Broad Run (-2.0)
*Stone Bridge won 35-10 for Ashburn supremacy again.

6A
9 West Potomac @ 1 South County (-14.5)
*South County won 42-9; Stallions jump back with a dominating performance.

13 Chantilly @ 5 Robinson (-7.0)
*Robinson won 31-24. Chantilly had every chance in the world to win this, but getting inside the 10 2 times and walking away with 0 points on 2 missed FGs did them in. They moved the ball throughout the night and had the lead for most of it, a terrific 65 yard 2 minute drive led by Tamarrow to tie the game with 27 seconds left looked like it would force OT. Despite that, Robinson went 60+ yards in the 27 seconds on two passes for the game winning TD. Robinson avoided the upset and surprisingly passed the ball quite a bit more than I had seen them do it before.

7 Battlefield @ 2 Lake Braddock (-13.0)
*Lake Braddock won 13-10. Sets up a very intriguing semi against Westfield next week.

6 South Lakes @ 3 Westfield (-24.0)
*Westfield won 24-13. Definitely didn’t cruise like I expected. Kudos to South Lakes for a fantastic season. A lot of wonderful coaching jobs this year, but Coach Taylor has my vote for coach of the year in 6A North.

Posted by: Nova Fan ()
Date: November 21, 2015 12:05PM

Westfield should have crushed SL. Everytime I saw them come off the field they had a big screen set up and was able to make adjustments with the entire offense and defense. Must be nice to coach at a school with practically zero two-way players.
South Lakes threw the game away. Gave Westfield a short field after an abismal punt with 30 seconds to go in the half and #10 scrambled for the first TD. Westfield then picks the ball off the first drive of the second half on the SL 20 yd line and has to settle for a field goal. Scores on a kick return which I saw at least 4 holding penalties but a great return by #27. And then Westfield picks the ball off after an unexplainable missed block on a quick screen at the SL #15 and it takes them like 8 plays to score from there. All short fields they were not able to drive the ball and score one time. Very predictable play calling and Everytime they tried to take a shot the SL secondary was right there to knock the ball away. SL offense had at least 4 drops in the first half. One drop on a post that would have been a touchdown. And too many personal fouls and holdings that ruined drives. Kick return was the difference.
So the question is what is Westfield do on offense? I mean seriously. Look like Tarzan play like Jane. Does not take good coaching to win with the kids they have in the regular season. It was painful to watch their offense. #10 can't throw anything but a deep pass and even those hold up in the air too long I'm just confused. That all being said they made plays and SL didn't. That usually happens by the 4th quarter when you have a bunch of 1 way players. SL looked tired to me in the 4th quarter. #79 never comes off the field at 6'5 315 and was impressive to watch. Hats off to SL defense they played inspired ball. Good luck to Westfield and remaining teams.

Posted by: UVA ()
Date: November 21, 2015 12:16PM

I hate when people say Westfield doesn't have that many athletes. What? All over the field. The coaches need to do a better job of getting them in the right situations to make plays. South lakes looked really well coached and I was very impressed on both offense and defensively as well.
Westfield made no adjustments offensively it was almost like they had no respect for SL and just thought they were going to run it up their throat and didn't. The only run play that worked was motioning away and running outside zone to the boundary. When SL adjusted to that Westfield looked awful on offense. #10 is just not a good QB has no business playing QB. The designed QB counteres and draws need to go. Yes he scrambled one in but there was literally no one from SL on that side of the field. Put him back to receiver. Northern region football on down. Not what it used to be.

Posted by: westfielddadx2 ()
Date: November 21, 2015 02:36PM

Think there may be a bit too much navel gazing? Who really cares HOW Westfield won? Never ceases to amaze me how some Westfield fans complain about every game not being a blowout. #79 for South Lakes played an awesome game. #17 for South Lakes should have been ejected from the game after that personal foul.

Anyone know why #15 was playing last night? #23 and #14 have been playing in front of him all year. Don't mean to pick on him but he had the coverage on both SL TD's and I really have not seen him on the field before except in mop-up duty.

And there was no holding on the KO return.
https://vimeo.com/146470779
1:10
Nada - clean return.

Posted by: Poor quality ()
Date: November 21, 2015 03:10PM

NR really down this year

Posted by: SL Dad ()
Date: November 21, 2015 04:05PM

westfielddadx2 Wrote:
> Think there may be a bit too much navel gazing?
> Who really cares HOW Westfield won? Never ceases
> to amaze me how some Westfield fans complain about
> every game not being a blowout.

Agreed, by and large all the teams that make it to the second round are good enough to beat any other team on a given night and all the scores from other games except Soco/WaPo reflected that. Having seen some of the past WF teams that have trounced SL teams in past seasons it did appear that WF doesn't have the overall athleticism it's had in the past. That said, they didn't play spectacularly but they did play largely mistake free and turnover free ball which is usually enough to get it done. The PK/Punter for WF is outstanding.

Posted by: Bulldog Fan ()
Date: November 21, 2015 04:36PM

Agreed, by and large all the teams that make it to the second round are good enough to beat any other team on a given night and all the scores from other games except Soco/WaPo reflected that. Having seen some of the past WF teams that have trounced SL teams in past seasons it did appear that WF doesn't have the overall athleticism it's had in the past. That said, they didn't play spectacularly but they did play largely mistake free and turnover free ball which is usually enough to get it done. The PK/Punter for WF is outstanding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

WF has some good players, play well as a team, for the most part are coached well too. Their best player is their D1 LB who is out for the season, Navy commit. The K/P/PK might be FCS caliber if he can get his accuracy on FG's under control. The QB is a D1 basketball player, DE is a D1 wrestler, the rest are just good athletes, nothing exceptional. They'll need to play pretty much mistake free next week to beat LB.

Posted by: Bulldog observer ()
Date: November 21, 2015 05:50PM

I believe the frustration with the Westfield faithful stems from them not having a running game, and a subpar O-line, longing for days of old, they realize the region would be theirs if only they had a Running game...yes the last 2 games they have dusted off their 2 tight-end, fullback formation and have had o.k. Success..too little too late...however luck has been on their side and they continue to win ugly...so anything is possible.

Posted by: Prediction ()
Date: November 21, 2015 10:19PM

Westfield v Robinson

Posted by: Tilly Tittans ()
Date: November 21, 2015 10:29PM

I am going with a 45% chance that happens.
Check back at the post:

"The one team the LB QB does NOT want to see is the Westfield Bulldogs defense."
Not an exact quotei used but it is the TRUTH!

Posted by: Doug spit ()
Date: November 21, 2015 11:43PM

Maybe Westfield wins this time 2 to 0

Posted by: Maybe just me ()
Date: November 22, 2015 09:26AM

Maybe just me but isnt Northern region football down this year a lot

Posted by: tCu9t ()
Date: November 22, 2015 09:42AM

>>>>>>>>>>Maybe just me but isnt Northern region football down this year a lot

I think the NR has 4 pretty great teams this year, plus a handful of very strong teams below them.

The folks that feel it's down are the Concorde guys that are lamenting Centreville and Westfield not being the #1 and 2 seeds.

They aren't willing to give LB and SC props for their strength. They see them as not belonging regardless of what they do, and if WF and CV are remotely beatable, then the whole region is down.

Consider this -- if Westfield and Centreville were #1 and 2, with Rob, Chantilly, Oakton being middle of the pack, these people would be saying that the region is as strong as ever... because "everybody knows" that a 6-4 concorde team should destroy a 9-1 Patriot team, right? That's the way it has been for a few years

Now, you have a strong WF team, and the top of the patriot is competitive with them, so they view it as the concorde being down, rather than the Patriot strengthening. If you take the traditionally strong Concorde teams - WF, Rob, CV - and then ADD stronger SC and LB, and others to a lesser extent, doesn't that make the region UP? Stronger?

Posted by: nufan ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:08AM

Quit whining.

Posted by: 44pGd ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:11AM

Not whining, answering his question

Posted by: WnMJn ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:18AM

I'm just challenging the logic of the region being 'down'. You have 1 team that's clearly worse (CVille), and several teams that are better than they had been. Saying the region is down is basically saying that the top teams are there by accident - or by default since Centreville isn't as good.

Posted by: maybe just me ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:42AM

No I don't root for Centreville I root for another 6a non Concorde team, still think the region is down overall this year

Posted by: p6Vve ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:52AM

I see Cville as the only team that's significantly down though

WF - good as usual
Rob - as good as usual or better
Chantilly - usual
Cville - down
Oakton - usual
Herndon - usual

SC - better than usual
LB - good as usual
WP - better than usual
WS - better but not consistent
Ann - better than usual, but record doesn't reflect it
WTW - usual
TC - down?
MV - usual

Posted by: XtdWh ()
Date: November 22, 2015 10:54AM

I suppose I'd add that Battlefield and Patriot were a bit down - though Battlefield was still good, just not AS good

Date: November 22, 2015 11:16AM

Yes. Cville is not as good as they have been. Same goes for others. But it's the same folks(except Cville) making noise. Robinson played two average teams this year in the playoffs and squeaked by both. Although is was the second go around with the teams. Let's see other playoff teams.... Madison was one and done, west Springfield was one and done, west po advanced to second round but both teams couldn't beat LB or SC, hayfield was one and done, south lakes improved but lost to WF. Patriot from PWC sucked. Battlefield played LB tough, but lost. See the trend. The top teams are almost the same except for Cville. Does that make the region down. No. I have seen all the top teams play and nobody has the wow factor. I think the top teams are not as good as the top teams the last few years. I think that folks look at that versus seeing the Madison, South lakes, west po, west Springfield etc all making steps forward. Waiting for other schools to step up and beat the top tier teams. Jmo

Posted by: ttjWx ()
Date: November 22, 2015 11:24AM

IMO, you look at the teams overall and steps forward... looking at playoff losses as an indicator is tough... EVERY playoff team loses their last game of the season except the one who wins states.

Date: November 22, 2015 12:24PM

Just pointing out facts. You need to beat the top teams. Playoffs are playoffs and anything can happen. Didn't say that playoff loses indicated anything than the top teams won. That is the trend as it should be. I will say this as to if the region is "DOWN " or not, the top teams wouldn't stand a chance against the top teams from the last few years. I think others teams are getting better thou.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 22, 2015 02:25PM

Bulldog Fan Wrote:
> WF has some good players, play well as a team, for
> the most part are coached well too. ..... the rest are just good athletes,
> nothing exceptional.

To be frank that pretty much sums up Westfield teams all 5 of Coach Simmons seasons. Every year they have 1 or 2 marginal D1 prospects - nothing more. But one of those kids is always a RB. Not so this year.

South Lakes was light years better team than just last year. I didn't they they would get past Oakton. They seemed to have a lot of underclassmen playing - Madison seniors. Will be interesting to see which team can keep it going next season.

Regarding 6A North - other than Centreville and Patriot - I don't really think that the individual teams in the region are "down." Perception might be that way since there aren't as many big name players/recruits in the area as the past couple of seasons. South County is building up to be a force though - that second round score against WP was a little bit eye-opening. If they win big against Robinson - which I think is a possibility - that might be an indication they are a team that could give Ocean Lakes or Oscar Smith a good game.

You just never know - everyone had already crowned LC Bird 5A state champs and Hermitage just knocked off a team that had outscored their opponents 493-25.

Posted by: steve k2* ()
Date: November 22, 2015 03:10PM

6A
4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)
*This past Friday Robinson showed me they have a passing attack I to go along with their strong line play on both sides of the ball. Robinson’s talent at the lines will keep this game close, but I think South County has a deeper and more athletic group overall.

3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock
*I have gone back and forth on this one so much. My head says Lake Braddock’s offense should have them favored, BUT defense wins championships, Westfield is in Lake Braddock’s head and I have to stick with my preseason pick to win the region. I just wish they had looked better against South Lakes to give me more confidence here.

The great thing though is these can go either way and regardless it will set the stage for a really fun final the following week.

Posted by: Big boy bill ()
Date: November 22, 2015 08:44PM

Next year Woodson will win states you herd it here first

Posted by: Northern region fan ()
Date: November 23, 2015 07:15AM

Now that the season is just about over, it's time to look back. Anyone have thoughts on the following:

Most surprising teams (performing better than expected)? Choose up to five

Most disappointing teams? Choose up to five

Games that were the biggest upsets? Choose up to five

Date: November 23, 2015 07:49AM

6A Most surprising teams.

1. South Lakes
2. Madison
3. Robinson
4. Annandale
5. WT Woodson

Most disappointing teams

1. Centreville
2. Chantilly
3. Hayfield
4. West Springfield
5. West Potomac

Biggest upsets

1. WT Woodson 35 West Springfield 28
2. James Madison 35 Stone Bridge 24
3. West Springfield 28 West Potomac 9
4. Oakton 28 Centreville 24
5. Fairfax 22 Herndon 0

Posted by: Official ()
Date: November 23, 2015 08:47AM

steve k2* Wrote:
> 6A
> 4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)
> *This past Friday Robinson showed me they have a
> passing attack I to go along with their strong
> line play on both sides of the ball. Robinson’s
> talent at the lines will keep this game close, but
> I think South County has a deeper and more
> athletic group overall.
>
> 3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock
> *I have gone back and forth on this one so much.
> My head says Lake Braddock’s offense should have
> them favored, BUT defense wins championships,
> Westfield is in Lake Braddock’s head and I have
> to stick with my preseason pick to win the region.
> I just wish they had looked better against South
> Lakes to give me more confidence here.
>
> The great thing though is these can go either way
> and regardless it will set the stage for a really
> fun final the following week.

Usually agree with you Steve, but not so much this week.

Robinson has had a great season but they can't hang with a strong balanced attack like Soco...Chantilly has the smallest o-line in the conf and Robinson gave up 400 yards to them. Tilly threw it all over the place on them. Robinson passing attack? QB completed one pass until the last drive. Soco will press WR and stack line...won't be close....SOCO by 15+.

WF D is good for sure, but not as dominant as folks say...again...a balanced attack from LB will likely yield 20 pts at least. WF on the road, with no real offensive system...I like LB by 8.

Posted by: Must be voting with your heart ()
Date: November 23, 2015 09:06AM

Knighthawk Wrote:
> 6A Most surprising teams.
>
> 1. South Lakes
> 2. Madison
> 3. Robinson
> 4. Annandale
> 5. WT Woodson
>
> Most disappointing teams
>
> 1. Centreville
> 2. Chantilly
> 3. Hayfield
> 4. West Springfield
> 5. West Potomac
>
> Biggest upsets
>
> 1. WT Woodson 35 West Springfield 28
> 2. James Madison 35 Stone Bridge 24
> 3. West Springfield 28 West Potomac 9
> 4. Oakton 28 Centreville 24
> 5. Fairfax 22 Herndon 0

Hard to argue with those top 3 most surprising.....very impressive. But the Disappointments and upsets are not too well flushed out...

A 13 seed over a 4 seed has to be in the top 3 upsets. Chantilly over Madison. And your second most disappointing team beating two of your most surprising teams, both on the road. And almost beat a third in Robinson last week. Oakton, a 5 win team beating a 4 win team (at home) is hardly a big upset...especially if C'ville is disappointing. Woodson beat one team with a winning record, and you have that team as disappointing. And got blownout by 50 pts three times. Won 4 games...3 of them over teams with a total of 5 wins. Two programs that struggle as much as they do in FFX and Herdon....one win over 2 win?...not a big upset. Herndon gave up 50 pts+ in three games and lost 7 in a row.

Posted by: I don't know about that ()
Date: November 23, 2015 09:20AM

>WF D is good for sure, but not as dominant as folks say...again...a balanced >attack from LB will likely yield 20 pts at least. WF on the road, with no >real offensive system...I like LB by 8.

I don't know, WF's starting D has given up 72 points in 12 games this year, that's 6 points a game, that's pretty dominant.

If they put #17 at QB and #10 at WR on offense they'd be in good shape in my opinion.

Date: November 23, 2015 09:44AM

Must be voting with your heart Wrote:
> Knighthawk Wrote:
> -----
> > 6A Most surprising teams.
> >
> > 1. South Lakes
> > 2. Madison
> > 3. Robinson
> > 4. Annandale
> > 5. WT Woodson
> >
> > Most disappointing teams
> >
> > 1. Centreville
> > 2. Chantilly
> > 3. Hayfield
> > 4. West Springfield
> > 5. West Potomac
> >
> > Biggest upsets
> >
> > 1. WT Woodson 35 West Springfield 28
> > 2. James Madison 35 Stone Bridge 24
> > 3. West Springfield 28 West Potomac 9
> > 4. Oakton 28 Centreville 24
> > 5. Fairfax 22 Herndon 0
>
>
> Hard to argue with those top 3 most
> surprising.....very impressive. But the
> Disappointments and upsets are not too well
> flushed out...
>
> A 13 seed over a 4 seed has to be in the top 3
> upsets. Chantilly over Madison. And your second
> most disappointing team beating two of your most
> surprising teams, both on the road. And almost
> beat a third in Robinson last week. Oakton, a 5
> win team beating a 4 win team (at home) is hardly
> a big upset...especially if C'ville is
> disappointing. Woodson beat one team with a
> winning record, and you have that team as
> disappointing. And got blownout by 50 pts three
> times. Won 4 games...3 of them over teams with a
> total of 5 wins. Two programs that struggle as
> much as they do in FFX and Herdon....one win over
> 2 win?...not a big upset. Herndon gave up 50 pts+
> in three games and lost 7 in a row.

Instead of knit picking my choices, post your own. None of this was based "on my heart." It was based on expectations of these teams coming into the season and how their seasons played out. I also didn't look at playoff games. Strictly regular season. You obviously are looking at the past two weeks. I'm not. Chantilly may have come to play in the playoffs, but their regular season was a disappointment and came in as a 13 seed because of it. Herndon is a Concorde District team so to have a 5A cellar dweller in Fairfax beat them is an upset, especially since that was their only win of the year.

Again, come up with your own list. The original post asked for 5 teams, so I gave them 5 teams.

Posted by: Conference 6 fan ()
Date: November 23, 2015 10:19AM

I'll both respond to this and post my own

Knighthawk Wrote:
> 6A Most surprising teams.
>
> 1. South Lakes
> 2. Madison
> 3. Robinson
> 4. Annandale
> 5. WT Woodson

My list:

1. South Lakes
2. Marshall
3. Woodson
4. Madison
5. Washington-Lee

South Lakes has to be #1 on any list, as most predictions had them last(!) in Conference 6. I wouldn't put Madison as high as you did, because I expected them to be good this year. In fact, I predicted them to win Conference 6, when most were on the Hayfield bandwagon (some were also predicting Yorktown). I put W-L on this list because of how they turned their season around, as most had them in the bottom half of Conference 6, and they ended up finishing in the top half. Woodson makes the list because they made the playoffs, though that was on the strength of their win v. West Springfield, which springs them into the playoffs. This list doesn't have to be confined to 6A teams, and Marshall, with two consecutive winless seasons to be followed up with a playoff appearance has to qualify. I'm not sure why Annandale, who finished 16th seed made your list. That's about what I expected of them.
>
> Most disappointing teams
>
> 1. Centreville
> 2. Chantilly
> 3. Hayfield
> 4. West Springfield
> 5. West Potomac

My list:

1. Fairfax
2. Centreville
3. Hayfield
4. Yorktown
5. West Springfield

I don't know how Fairfax isn't at the top of the list of any team that is the most disappointing. A 1-9 record is about as bad as it gets. It's true that McLean was also 1-9, but that's about in line with expectations for them going in to this season. Expectations for this season for Fairfax were higher. To put into perspective exactly how disappointing that 1-9 record was, consider how their JV team did last year. After an 0-3 start, they rattled off four consecutive wins, which included 62-0 over McLean, 54-15 over Marshall, 13-6 over Stone Bridge (yes, Stone Bridge), and 34-0 over South Lakes. That's not to say that this streak of JV wins last year should have translated into a winning season for this year's varsity, but it does show that there is some talent there, which should have yielded more than a 1-9 record. Centreville deserves mention, as does Hayfield, the consensus pick for Conference 6. I'd put Yorktown on the list as they were picked to be second or third in Conference 6. I'll buy WS given how they were shocked by Woodson. Honorable (dishonorable?) mention might go to Langley. I'm not sure I see why West Po was disappointing.
>
> Biggest upsets
>
> 1. WT Woodson 35 West Springfield 28
> 2. James Madison 35 Stone Bridge 24
> 3. West Springfield 28 West Potomac 9
> 4. Oakton 28 Centreville 24

Definitely agree with your #1. It's not even close. Hindsight would show that Madison over Stonebridge wasn't much of an upset, but at the time, it was. Not sure about WS over West Po, and I also would not consider Fairfax over Herndon a big upset (at least at the time the game was played). I'd put Oakton over Centreville on that list as you did. I would also include Washington-Lee's 23-20 win over Langley in OT on this list.

Date: November 23, 2015 11:45AM

Conference 6 fan Wrote:
> I'll both respond to this and post my own
>
> Knighthawk Wrote:
> -----
> > 6A Most surprising teams.
> >
> > 1. South Lakes
> > 2. Madison
> > 3. Robinson
> > 4. Annandale
> > 5. WT Woodson
>
> My list:
>
> 1. South Lakes
> 2. Marshall
> 3. Woodson
> 4. Madison
> 5. Washington-Lee
>
> South Lakes has to be #1 on any list, as most
> predictions had them last(!) in Conference 6. I
> wouldn't put Madison as high as you did, because I
> expected them to be good this year. In fact, I
> predicted them to win Conference 6, when most were
> on the Hayfield bandwagon (some were also
> predicting Yorktown). I put W-L on this list
> because of how they turned their season around, as
> most had them in the bottom half of Conference 6,
> and they ended up finishing in the top half.
> Woodson makes the list because they made the
> playoffs, though that was on the strength of their
> win v. West Springfield, which springs them into
> the playoffs. This list doesn't have to be
> confined to 6A teams, and Marshall, with two
> consecutive winless seasons to be followed up with
> a playoff appearance has to qualify. I'm not sure
> why Annandale, who finished 16th seed made your
> list. That's about what I expected of them.
> >
> > Most disappointing teams
> >
> > 1. Centreville
> > 2. Chantilly
> > 3. Hayfield
> > 4. West Springfield
> > 5. West Potomac
>
> My list:
>
> 1. Fairfax
> 2. Centreville
> 3. Hayfield
> 4. Yorktown
> 5. West Springfield
>
> I don't know how Fairfax isn't at the top of the
> list of any team that is the most disappointing.
> A 1-9 record is about as bad as it gets. It's true
> that McLean was also 1-9, but that's about in line
> with expectations for them going in to this
> season. Expectations for this season for Fairfax
> were higher. To put into perspective exactly how
> disappointing that 1-9 record was, consider how
> their JV team did last year. After an 0-3 start,
> they rattled off four consecutive wins, which
> included 62-0 over McLean, 54-15 over Marshall,
> 13-6 over Stone Bridge (yes, Stone Bridge), and
> 34-0 over South Lakes. That's not to say that
> this streak of JV wins last year should have
> translated into a winning season for this year's
> varsity, but it does show that there is some
> talent there, which should have yielded more than
> a 1-9 record. Centreville deserves mention, as
> does Hayfield, the consensus pick for Conference
> 6. I'd put Yorktown on the list as they were
> picked to be second or third in Conference 6.
> I'll buy WS given how they were shocked by
> Woodson. Honorable (dishonorable?) mention might
> go to Langley. I'm not sure I see why West Po was
> disappointing.
> >
> > Biggest upsets
> >
> > 1. WT Woodson 35 West Springfield 28
> > 2. James Madison 35 Stone Bridge 24
> > 3. West Springfield 28 West Potomac 9
> > 4. Oakton 28 Centreville 24
>
> Definitely agree with your #1. It's not even
> close. Hindsight would show that Madison over
> Stonebridge wasn't much of an upset, but at the
> time, it was. Not sure about WS over West Po, and
> I also would not consider Fairfax over Herndon a
> big upset (at least at the time the game was
> played). I'd put Oakton over Centreville on that
> list as you did. I would also include
> Washington-Lee's 23-20 win over Langley in OT on
> this list.

I didn't inlcude 5A games or teams unless it was games played against 6A teams.

Posted by: stinglesshornet ()
Date: November 23, 2015 12:05PM

Knighthawk Wrote:

Really? How could anyone beating Herndon be considered an upset?

Date: November 23, 2015 01:54PM

stinglesshornet Wrote:
> Knighthawk Wrote:
> -----
>
> Really? How could anyone beating Herndon be
> considered an upset?

Because a 6A Concorde District Herndon team doesn't have any business losing to a 5A Fairfax team. Period.

Posted by: stinglesshornet ()
Date: November 23, 2015 02:12PM

Knighthawk Wrote:
> stinglesshornet Wrote:
> -----
> > Knighthawk Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 5. Fairfax 22 Herndon 0
> >
> > Really? How could anyone beating Herndon be
> > considered an upset?
>
> Because a 6A Concorde District Herndon team
> doesn't have any business losing to a 5A Fairfax
> team. Period.

That might be true in theory but it is Herndon we are talking about the Hornets haven't had a winning season in 8years. And Fairfax is 6A they got a bigger enrollment than Herndon.

Posted by: Northern region fan ()
Date: November 23, 2015 02:27PM

stinglesshornet Wrote:
> Knighthawk Wrote:
> -----
> > stinglesshornet Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Knighthawk Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > 5. Fairfax 22 Herndon 0
> > >
> > > Really? How could anyone beating Herndon be
> > > considered an upset?
> >
> > Because a 6A Concorde District Herndon team
> > doesn't have any business losing to a 5A
> Fairfax
> > team. Period.
>
> That might be true in theory but it is Herndon we
> are talking about the Hornets haven't had a
> winning season in 8years. And Fairfax is 6A they
> got a bigger enrollment than Herndon.

Hornet is correct. Last year, Liberty was a mixture of 5A and 6A teams, but this year's conference 6 is not. All teams in this year's Conference 6 -- Fairfax, Hayfield, Langley, Madison, McLean, South Lakes, Washington-Lee, Yorktown -- are all 6A. Stone Bridge, Marshall, and TJ, from the old Liberty, were all 5A, but no longer in that grouping.

Posted by: Out of proportion ()
Date: November 23, 2015 10:55PM

Official Wrote:
> steve k2* Wrote:
> -----
> > 6A
> > 4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)
> > *This past Friday Robinson showed me they have
> a
> > passing attack I to go along with their strong
> > line play on both sides of the ball.
> Robinson’s
> > talent at the lines will keep this game close,
> but
> > I think South County has a deeper and more
> > athletic group overall.
> >
> > 3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock
> > *I have gone back and forth on this one so much.
>
> > My head says Lake Braddock’s offense should
> have
> > them favored, BUT defense wins championships,
> > Westfield is in Lake Braddock’s head and I
> have
> > to stick with my preseason pick to win the
> region.
> > I just wish they had looked better against
> South
> > Lakes to give me more confidence here.
> >
> > The great thing though is these can go either
> way
> > and regardless it will set the stage for a
> really
> > fun final the following week.
>
> Usually agree with you Steve, but not so much this
> week.
>
> Robinson has had a great season but they can't
> hang with a strong balanced attack like
> Soco...Chantilly has the smallest o-line in the
> conf and Robinson gave up 400 yards to them. Tilly
> threw it all over the place on them. Robinson
> passing attack? QB completed one pass until the
> last drive. Soco will press WR and stack
> line...won't be close....SOCO by 15+.
>

I agree - Chantilly passed the ball on robinsons defense for almost 400 yards last Friday. Yet there's not much correlation between their size of the line and how many PASSING yards they had.. Considering there were 6 sacks and only 36 yards rushing. I also know tha their defense is capable of much better, as seen in the other games they've played. Robinsons defense allows almost no rushing yards and their only weakness is pass. South county has one or two strong targets in the pass game, yet if their defense can hold them off, robinsons offense will do its meticulous movement down the field and take 10 minutes of the clock for one drive.

South county is defenitly more talented and has a better attack, so I'm going to have to give south county the win by 7, but I wouldn't count out Robinson. When their offense and defense come to play, they are unstoppable. The tough style of football wears teams out and has proven to be a very effective method of beating teams.

Posted by: Football2 ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:37AM

Out of proportion Wrote:
> Official Wrote:
> -----
> > steve k2* Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 6A
> > > 4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)
> > > *This past Friday Robinson showed me they
> have
> > a
> > > passing attack I to go along with their
> strong
> > > line play on both sides of the ball.
> > Robinson’s
> > > talent at the lines will keep this game
> close,
> > but
> > > I think South County has a deeper and more
> > > athletic group overall.
> > >
> > > 3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock
> > > *I have gone back and forth on this one so
> much.
> >
> > > My head says Lake Braddock’s offense should
> > have
> > > them favored, BUT defense wins championships,
> > > Westfield is in Lake Braddock’s head and I
> > have
> > > to stick with my preseason pick to win the
> > region.
> > > I just wish they had looked better against
> > South
> > > Lakes to give me more confidence here.
> > >
> > > The great thing though is these can go either
> > way
> > > and regardless it will set the stage for a
> > really
> > > fun final the following week.
> >
> > Usually agree with you Steve, but not so much
> this
> > week.
> >
> > Robinson has had a great season but they can't
> > hang with a strong balanced attack like
> > Soco...Chantilly has the smallest o-line in
> the
> > conf and Robinson gave up 400 yards to them.
> Tilly
> > threw it all over the place on them. Robinson
> > passing attack? QB completed one pass until the
> > last drive. Soco will press WR and stack
> > line...won't be close....SOCO by 15+.
> >
>
> I agree - Chantilly passed the ball on robinsons
> defense for almost 400 yards last Friday. Yet
> there's not much correlation between their size of
> the line and how many PASSING yards they had..
> Considering there were 6 sacks and only 36 yards
> rushing. I also know tha their defense is capable
> of much better, as seen in the other games they've
> played. Robinsons defense allows almost no rushing
> yards and their only weakness is pass. South
> county has one or two strong targets in the pass
> game, yet if their defense can hold them off,
> robinsons offense will do its meticulous movement
> down the field and take 10 minutes of the clock
> for one drive.
>
> South county is defenitly more talented and has a
> better attack, so I'm going to have to give south
> county the win by 7, but I wouldn't count out
> Robinson. When their offense and defense come to
> play, they are unstoppable. The tough style of
> football wears teams out and has proven to be a
> very effective method of beating teams.

Not sure if unstoppable is the word I would use for their offense. They are very predictable and their "passing game" is nonexistent!! They are tough, but they aren't super athletic and that will come back to haunt them against a quick and physical South County team.

Robinson, lost to some, somewhat higher powered offenses for the region in West Springfield and Braddock, but they haven't faced a offense and group with team speed like South County. South County's defense has gotten better throughout the year, and they aren't going to allow Robinson to keep the ball for 10 minutes at a time. Looking forward to a good game, but South County is too much for Robinson to handle in the end.

Posted by: See too much to agree ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:46AM

Out of proportion Wrote:
> Official Wrote:
> -----
> > steve k2* Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 6A
> > > 4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)
> > > *This past Friday Robinson showed me they
> have
> > a
> > > passing attack I to go along with their
> strong
> > > line play on both sides of the ball.
> > Robinson’s
> > > talent at the lines will keep this game
> close,
> > but
> > > I think South County has a deeper and more
> > > athletic group overall.
> > >
> > > 3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock
> > > *I have gone back and forth on this one so
> much.
> >
> > > My head says Lake Braddock’s offense should
> > have
> > > them favored, BUT defense wins championships,
> > > Westfield is in Lake Braddock’s head and I
> > have
> > > to stick with my preseason pick to win the
> > region.
> > > I just wish they had looked better against
> > South
> > > Lakes to give me more confidence here.
> > >
> > > The great thing though is these can go either
> > way
> > > and regardless it will set the stage for a
> > really
> > > fun final the following week.
> >
> > Usually agree with you Steve, but not so much
> this
> > week.
> >
> > Robinson has had a great season but they can't
> > hang with a strong balanced attack like
> > Soco...Chantilly has the smallest o-line in
> the
> > conf and Robinson gave up 400 yards to them.
> Tilly
> > threw it all over the place on them. Robinson
> > passing attack? QB completed one pass until the
> > last drive. Soco will press WR and stack
> > line...won't be close....SOCO by 15+.
> >
>
> I agree - Chantilly passed the ball on robinsons
> defense for almost 400 yards last Friday. Yet
> there's not much correlation between their size of
> the line and how many PASSING yards they had..
> Considering there were 6 sacks and only 36 yards
> rushing. I also know tha their defense is capable
> of much better, as seen in the other games they've
> played. Robinsons defense allows almost no rushing
> yards and their only weakness is pass. South
> county has one or two strong targets in the pass
> game, yet if their defense can hold them off,
> robinsons offense will do its meticulous movement
> down the field and take 10 minutes of the clock
> for one drive.
>
> South county is defenitly more talented and has a
> better attack, so I'm going to have to give south
> county the win by 7, but I wouldn't count out
> Robinson. When their offense and defense come to
> play, they are unstoppable. The tough style of
> football wears teams out and has proven to be a
> very effective method of beating teams.

O-line size absolutely impacts passing. Ask anyone who has coached. That's one of the key reasons small teams run veer (Navy). But Tilly is gone, so let's focus on Robinson. They come to the ball very hard and are physical. But not big on either line.... Against teams that did one thing well, that might get it done. SC will run a bit, and an athletic QB will be able to get the ball to one of the best big bodied targets around. Robinson will have to roll the safety over to help just as they did against Chantilly. The second WR will have a field day just like Tilly's did. There is just too much film now on how they pressure. They can't stay in base defense and stop a very good offense.

SOCO threw for over 25 TDs this year....can't hide in this one.

Agree with you that If Robinson can keep the ball for long drives, they have a shot, but not if they don't.

If Tilly put up 24, SC will put up 35. You said 7pts...I will revisit my pick.....SOCO 35 - Rob 20..Let's see whose right.

Posted by: Westfield Fan ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:58AM

I've loved Steve K2's picks all year and obviously he knows a ton about football in the area. After seeing all of these teams play, however, I am going with the following picks:

Robinson @ South County (-21.0)
Westfield @ Lake Braddock (-10.0)

The offenses are going to shine a little brighter than the Robinson/Westfield defenses making these some high scoring games. As a Westfield fan, I'll be more than happy if I'm wrong on that pick!

Posted by: Not buying WF ()
Date: November 24, 2015 09:00AM

I was there last year when WF destroyed the spread LB offense. Different this year. LB is bigger than last year, better running attack...and will make fewer errors. WF offense is nothing like last year.....no real QB...and got worse at WR by moving best target to QB. No really good RB, and Clancy is not in the middle. And not as important...LB is at home.

WF QB will throw one pick and put it on the ground again..LB by 11.

Posted by: Not buying WF ()
Date: November 24, 2015 09:27AM

I was there last year when WF destroyed the spread LB offense. Different this year. LB is bigger than last year, better running attack...Balanced. WF offense is nothing like last year.....no real QB...and got worse at WR by moving best target to QB. No really good RB, and Clancy is not in the middle. And not as important...LB is at home.

WF QB will throw one pick and put it on the ground again..LB by 11.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: November 24, 2015 10:15AM

>I was there last year when WF destroyed the spread LB offense. Different this year. LB is bigger than last year, better running attack...Balanced. WF offense is nothing like last year.....no real QB...and got worse at WR by moving best target to QB. No really good RB, and Clancy is not in the middle. And not as important...LB is at home.

>WF QB will throw one pick and put it on the ground again..LB by 11.

I would agree, not sure if 11 is what LB will win by but I think they definitely will win. WF hurt themselves offensively by having their best WR at QB as you stated. They really have no running game, #24 is good against weak defenses but absolutely disappears when WF plays a good defensive team which LB has.

It's also supposed to rain on Saturday, not really conducive to passing so the team that runs the ball will win. Advantage LB, even though WF has a strong D their best defensive player is Clancy, he will be sorely missed. Centreville and Robinson were able to gain yards on the ground against WF without #41 in the middle making plays. LB has a distinct advantage and probably will pound away.

LB has been so focused on their run game since this very game last year where WF absolutely destroyed them. Poythress made it a priority in the offseason to make LB's running game strong for the post season run. He learned that relying on a passing attack as your primary offense come playoffs is not the answer. Unfortunately WF might find this out come Saturday since that's what they've evolved into.

It's almost like both teams have switched places from a year ago if that makes any sense.

Date: November 24, 2015 10:42AM

4 Robinson @ 1 South County (-7.0)

I think in the end South County will win by more than 7. I'd think more in the 14-17 point range.

3 Westfield (-3.0) @ 2 Lake Braddock

I can't agree with making Westfield a favorite. I'd think Lake Braddock could win this in the 10-14 point range.

That being said - it really depends on which teams make the fewest mistakes and can bring the intensity for all 4 quarters. I wouldn't be out-right shocked if ROB or WFD ended up with a win but think it is unlikely.

Regarding Westfield's offensive attack - they came into the season expecting a really talented RB to be available to them. Remember last year against South Lakes? #22 had 94 yards on 4 carries (2 40+ TDs) and a 96 yard KO return. Disappeared due to issues and then again this year.

I still think it's a coin toss on #10 at QB. He's done OK. Does not really throw a lot of picks - WFD has a stable of tall and experienced WRs already. If they can step up and have a big game against LB it could be a lot different than the South Lakes game. Not taking anything away from SL defense - they had great coverage but the opportunities to fight through and make catches were there.

Posted by: Magic 8 Ball ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:02AM

Hard to prepare for what you have not seen all year...maybe this comes down to Coaching and someone finally proves they have a SET!

Just a thought!

Posted by: Region Semis ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:12AM

Lots of coaches who have been around the region a while in this group. Does any team have a coaching advantage or disadvantage? These games could very easily come down to coaching decisions and adjustments in the second half.

Posted by: viziosaleman ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:19AM

Nova Fan Wrote:
> Everytime I saw
> them come off the field they had a big screen set
> up and was able to make adjustments with the
> entire offense and defense. Must be nice to coach
> at a school with practically zero two-way players.

That is a new development I have noticed this season. Westfield is not the only team utilizing a sideline big screen. I have seen this with other teams as well.

Posted by: Couldn't agree more ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:24AM

^^^^that comment right there about sums it up.

At this point in the season the teams that are still playing have gotten there largely through in game adjustments. There's probably not a whole lot left in the playbook that the other guy hasn't seen already on film, save a trick play here or there. Look for these last few games to come down to whose got the better coaching staff and who can the adjustment on the fly to win.

Posted by: Chiropractor ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:30AM

or the comment, "Must be Nice to Coach at a school with practically zero two-way Players"... WF Has a lot of Kids that Could/Should Go Both ways...Hmmm imagine WF dropping that Lousy Zone Coverage and pressing another teams WR's with their own 6'-5", 6-4" and 6-2" WR's... all those kids have played multiple positions throughout HS and Youth there goes LB's Passing Game and brings 3-4 tacklers closer to the Line of Scrimmage to slow down #9... I mean if you actually wanted to win the Game that is!

Posted by: Bulldog Booster ()
Date: November 24, 2015 01:39PM

>or the comment, "Must be Nice to Coach at a school with practically zero two-way Players"... WF Has a lot of Kids that Could/Should Go Both ways...Hmmm imagine WF dropping that Lousy Zone Coverage and pressing another teams WR's with their own 6'-5", 6-4" and 6-2" WR's... all those kids have played multiple positions throughout HS and Youth there goes LB's Passing Game and brings 3-4 tacklers closer to the Line of Scrimmage to slow down #9... I mean if you actually wanted to win the Game that is!

Only problem with that is what happens when they get injured. WF had Clancy playing TE/FB on offense during suspended players absence. That got him a torn ACL and a quick exit to the season.

They've got enough kids, just sometimes not always the best ones starting or playing the position best suited for them or the team. For example, last Friday against SL, one of the DB's who played/started gave up 2 TD's. He hadn't started since the first game of the season, got suspended then hurt. Why start him in place of the guy who'd been playing well?

Saturday will be the true test for WF's coaching staff, offensively they need a game plan to generate points. The offense has been a major weakness for this team all season.

Their D coordinator usually does a pretty good job coming up with packages for the playoffs rarely if ever used during the regular season. Look what he did against Edwards and LB last year, blitzed him almost every down in the playoffs after barely doing it all season.

Posted by: KeepitReal ()
Date: November 24, 2015 02:25PM

One thing that everyone is basing their opinion on is the earlier games that were played, all teams get better down the line or they get decimated by injuries which West Springfield did and others. I've watched all the teams in the area and the team that is on the rise is Robinson, they have gotten better each week. The coaching in the Concord division is absolutely incredible and they always get their teams playing better down the stretch, hence Cville, Chantilly, Oakton etc... I think SoCo should be the favorite, but I think LB and Westfields are losing steam.. If Robinson grounds and pounds, passes a little they could wear SoCo out. Robinson is vulnerable to the pass, but they have faced several teams that can pass, they bend, but don't break all that bad. Soco has not faced a physical team like Robinson. The LB game against Westfields will be a very even game, I will give the edge to WF.

Posted by: When keepin it real goes wrong ()
Date: November 24, 2015 02:33PM

So LB's single wing isn't a physical offense? Westfield's D isn't a physical defense? And LB's defense for that matter. C'mon man, let's keep it real here.

Posted by: keepinitrealer ()
Date: November 24, 2015 02:44PM

KeepitReal Wrote:
> Soco has not faced a physical team like Robinson.

South County 26 - Westfield 19

Date: November 24, 2015 02:45PM

When keepin it real goes wrong Wrote:
> So LB's single wing isn't a physical offense?
> Westfield's D isn't a physical defense? And LB's
> defense for that matter. C'mon man, let's keep it
> real here.

Really getting logged in just to respond to this LOL. See Yah Saturday afternoon. If you read my post, several teams have gotten better some have faded out. It's all about how you're playing now, regular season is over. Just like in College and pro's, post season is everything.

Date: November 24, 2015 02:46PM

keepinitrealer Wrote:
> KeepitReal Wrote:
> -----
> > Soco has not faced a physical team like
> Robinson.
>
> South County 26 - Westfield 19

How many kids were suspended at that time for WF, quite a few if I remember correctly

Posted by: Still not keepin it real ()
Date: November 24, 2015 03:05PM

I'm ALWAYS logged in to see what you have to say, it's usually very insightful.....good luck with that play sheet Vossler

Posted by: keepinitrealer ()
Date: November 24, 2015 03:15PM

Westfield handled Chantilly pretty easily - up 28-0 and if they had kept starters in it would have been worse. That was 3 weeks ago. Your telling me Chantilly was suddenly that much better of a team 2 weeks later against Robinson?

Posted by: Yes ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:33PM

keepinitrealer Wrote:
> Westfield handled Chantilly pretty easily - up
> 28-0 and if they had kept starters in it would
> have been worse. That was 3 weeks ago. Your
> telling me Chantilly was suddenly that much better
> of a team 2 weeks later against Robinson?

Yes that's completely true. Teams tend to play with a compleltey different mentality in the playoffs especially when they are under dogs. Robinson beat Chantilly 24-14 in the middle of the season and beat Centreville 28-7 ONE Week before they only beat them 24-21. Playoffs are not the regular season: it comes down to who gets better, who coaches better, and what teams still want to play.

Posted by: Reply . Quote ()
Date: November 24, 2015 09:46PM

Yes Wrote:
> and what teams still want to play.

This.

Posted by: Robo wins ()
Date: November 25, 2015 02:28AM

I agree with previous poster SOCO hasn't played a team like robo physically they wil wear down and grow frustrated with long drives. There's a call for rain SAT and that works very well in Robo's favor 21-10 ROBO

Posted by: Defense 2 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 09:38AM

KeepitReal Wrote:
> One thing that everyone is basing their opinion on
> is the earlier games that were played, all teams
> get better down the line or they get decimated by
> injuries which West Springfield did and others.
> I've watched all the teams in the area and the
> team that is on the rise is Robinson, they have
> gotten better each week. The coaching in the
> Concord division is absolutely incredible and they
> always get their teams playing better down the
> stretch, hence Cville, Chantilly, Oakton etc... I
> think SoCo should be the favorite, but I think LB
> and Westfields are losing steam.. If Robinson
> grounds and pounds, passes a little they could
> wear SoCo out. Robinson is vulnerable to the pass,
> but they have faced several teams that can pass,
> they bend, but don't break all that bad. Soco has
> not faced a physical team like Robinson. The LB
> game against Westfields will be a very even game,
> I will give the edge to WF.

Not sure what you mean by Soco hasn't faced a physical defense. Not only do they face a physical defense every day at practice, they've played Westfield, Annandale, and Braddock all pretty physical defenses. Also, scrimmaged Western Branch, one of the top defenses in the state all year.

Posted by: Hudl Dont Lie ()
Date: November 25, 2015 10:16AM

Having watched the Rob-Tilly game on Hudl where were the long, clock consuming drives everyone is talking about from Robinson?

Posted by: Bulldog Fan ()
Date: November 25, 2015 10:34AM

Not sure what you mean by Soco hasn't faced a physical defense. Not only do they face a physical defense every day at practice, they've played Westfield, Annandale, and Braddock all pretty physical defenses. Also, scrimmaged Western Branch, one of the top defenses in the state all year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the OP was attempting to state that SOCO hadn't faced an all around physical team, offensively and defensively, as Robinson. However, like many have posted, they played LB who is pretty physical on both sides. While WF may not be as physical on the offensive side as some there isn't a D in the area I've seen that's as physical as they are.

I also don't agree with the original poster's claim that LB and WF are losing steam. They both played pretty decent opponents in the second round of the playoffs, that's why the close scores. However as all good teams do they both won because they were the better teams.

The bottom line is we have the 4 best teams in 6A North playing this weekend, don't think too many would disagree with that. Both home teams should be favored but it would be no surprise if either of the visiting teams pull off victories. All 4 have strengths and weaknesses but bottom line they are all very good football teams that are well coached.

Posted by: Agree ()
Date: November 25, 2015 11:08AM

I completely agree. This region semi finals is going to be a great Saturday for football and lead to an even better one next week. In every possible situation, there is a rematch and revenge of some sort on the line

Posted by: is it just me ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:43PM

is it just me or is the NR down this year in terms of quality?

Posted by: Get Lost ()
Date: November 25, 2015 01:57PM

you wouldn't know Quality if she sat on your Face...

Date: November 25, 2015 02:44PM

is it just me Wrote:
> is it just me or is the NR down this year in terms
> of quality?

Can you be more specific? Some teams better some teams worse - but, no - overall I don't think the "quality" is down at all.

Posted by: I agree with that one ()
Date: November 25, 2015 05:00PM

Agree with the previous poster. Seems like the "top" teams are not nearly as good as the top teams in the NR in years past. Somewhat disappointing this year.
Signed, Long time NR observer - not a Concorde or Patriot supporter....

Re: High School Football 2015 and drug scandal and south county high school
Posted by: Truf ()
Date: November 25, 2015 10:22PM

SOCO ain't going to win state because they might get disqualified for hidin a major drug dealin scandal in the south county high school. Rumor say teachers herd talking bout drugs possessions and use by students in south county high school this month, and investigations by police is coming because the principal is hiding it from the popo. When POPO go to SOCO they come up positive for weed and emphatamins. Bong deflate gate comin soon.

Posted by: Come on dude ()
Date: November 25, 2015 11:10PM

Truf Wrote:
> SOCO ain't going to win state because they might
> get disqualified for hidin a major drug dealin
> scandal in the south county high school. Rumor say
> teachers herd talking bout drugs possessions and
> use by students in south county high school this
> month, and investigations by police is coming
> because the principal is hiding it from the popo.
> When POPO go to SOCO they come up positive for
> weed and emphatamins. Bong deflate gate comin
> soon.

And this has what to do with the football team? Stop reaching.

Posted by: SC Pride ()
Date: November 26, 2015 01:40PM

Heard Robinson had a bunch of football alumni and ate turkey legs at practice today. SoCo just had better players show up to practice... SoCo by 20.
Happy Thanksgiving!!

Posted by: Jealous? ()
Date: November 26, 2015 02:06PM

SC Pride Wrote:
> Heard Robinson had a bunch of football alumni and
> ate turkey legs at practice today. SoCo just had
> better players show up to practice... SoCo by 20.
> Happy Thanksgiving!!

Sounds like someone's just upset they don't have a history of success that make alumni Come back and didn't get any turkey legs after practice was over. Robinsons beat teams with better talent all year long, It'll be fight, no way there is a blow out on either side.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:10PM

Sounds like da rumors is true. Soco lit football going down down down.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:19PM

Soco pride winnin mix 0.5 grams of weed with 1 gram of premium turf inhaled by defense. Meth for desert at half time, we know what it do.

Posted by: Ilnana ()
Date: November 26, 2015 02:29PM

Sounds like da rumors is true. Soco drug lit football going down down down. Way up they feel blessed.
Attachments:
image.png
image.jpeg

Posted by: Fchfx ()
Date: November 27, 2015 10:14PM

Ocean lakes lost

Thomas dale vs. Oscar smith

Posted by: D5 Loudoun Rules ()
Date: November 27, 2015 11:59PM

Tuscarora outscores North Stafford 63-49 and Stone Bridge knocks of Massaponex 50-49!

Scores would make the Big 12 proud!

Still, two big wins for teams that played a bunch ofFairfax 6A schools this year.

Posted by: Emporer ()
Date: November 28, 2015 08:37AM

I smoked alot too when I was young at South County prison but look how I turned out
Attachments:
Soco Dooby.jpg

Posted by: update man ()
Date: November 28, 2015 02:04PM

Robinson up 10-0...2nd quarter

Posted by: calling tom brady ()
Date: November 28, 2015 02:32PM

LB QB has already thrown 4 interceptions.......not even halftime yet!

Pages: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324AllNext
Current Page: 20 of 24

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.