HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zero Tolerance?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 05, 2009 04:57PM

LOL! wtf?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540
Attachments:
fcps_logo_fail.jpg

Posted by: F ()
Date: April 05, 2009 05:47PM

Gravis wrote:

"the media has a policy about not publishing suicides of people that arent already in the spotlight. this policy is for the sake of the family."

Ignorant blowhard.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: April 05, 2009 05:51PM

That's messed up. Tripping at school? We forgive you; come back in 5 days. Taking a birth control pill? 14 day suspension and we recommend expulsion.

What is the availability of nurses in Fairfax county? Are they always in their office?

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 05, 2009 06:16PM

This is the most retarded thing I've heard of...the shit was prescribed. There have to be exemptions for extenuating circumstances.

Posted by: Been there, too ()
Date: April 05, 2009 06:49PM

inkahootz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the most retarded thing I've heard
> of...the shit was prescribed. There have to be
> exemptions for extenuating circumstances.
What were the "extenuating circumstances"? She knew she was breaking the rules. She said she had been trying to be discreet. She had, apparently, been taking it in school for months. She just finally got caught.

I think the policy of zero tolerance is unreasonable and needs to be changed. But, there were no extenuating circumstances here. She knew the rules and she broke them. To say she should have "read the fine print" is also ridiculous. I have seen the forms they have to sign for the last fifteen years as my kids have gone through FCPS. This policy is not buried in the fine print.

The time to change policy is not after you violate it. If parents want to change the policy then organize and petition the school board (or the state legislature if needed) to change it.

I had a child get a similar suspension. I thought the policy was bad then and still do now. But, I didn't feel strongly enough to lead a fight to change it. It won't change until someone feels that strongly. This young woman is getting appropriate punishment. It is the punishment that is called for under the rules. She knew the rules. She broke them. There are no extenuating circumstances.

And, by the way, how hard is it to change the time of day you take a pill? You slowly move it a few hours earlier or later and this problem doesn't exist. She did not have to take the pill in the middle of the day.

Posted by: Armani Slacks ()
Date: April 05, 2009 07:17PM

inkahootz Wrote:
> This is the most retarded thing I've heard
> of...the shit was prescribed. There have to be
> exemptions for extenuating circumstances.

Spoken like someone who has a history of alcohol problems.

"DUIs kill thousands each year." -Mothers against drunk driving.

Posted by: Geena ()
Date: April 05, 2009 07:45PM

Nurses are not always there. Fequently someone from guidance has to dispense the meds.............

Posted by: NegativeDreamStealer ()
Date: April 05, 2009 07:55PM

Been there, too Wrote:
"I think the policy of zero tolerance is unreasonable and needs to be changed. But, there were no extenuating circumstances here. She knew the rules and she broke them...This young woman is getting appropriate punishment."

Your argument is irrational. No punishment is appropriate under a "rule" that is unjust, in this case absurdly so.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 05, 2009 08:39PM

An easier solution than changing the drug rules is to make lunch longer. Reasonable workplaces give hour long lunches.

Posted by: keep on ()
Date: April 05, 2009 09:03PM

how would a longer lunch period be a solution to the drug rules that are corrupt

Posted by: Jackass Dale ()
Date: April 05, 2009 10:03PM

FCPS's policy on this bares a striking similarity to Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan's ruling on occurances of rape. The female shall be punished (stoned to death) because someone raped her.

The logic in this is undeniable. (sarcasm)

Posted by: dave ()
Date: April 05, 2009 11:03PM

IF THE DRUGS ARE PRESCRIBED BY A DOCTOR,THE SCOOL HAS NO BUSINESS GETTING INVOLVED IN ANY WAY..THE STUDENT DID NOTHING WRONG. PERIOD,NO OTHER DISCUSSION NEEDED.THESE MOTHER FUCKERS AT THE SCHOOL ARE ON A SICK POWER TRIP.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 05, 2009 11:26PM

Rules (laws) are meant to be broken, illegals have taught me that, scream amnesty or abuse!

Posted by: Compaz ()
Date: April 05, 2009 11:57PM

I for one am glad she was given this punishment. It will set an example for other young harlets to practice abstinance.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 06, 2009 01:08AM

Compiz sucks. GNOME does too. and KDE.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 06, 2009 08:43AM

ash Wrote:
> Compiz sucks. GNOME does too. and KDE.

calm down steve, this thread is not a threat.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540
Attachments:
steve-ballmer.jpg

Date: April 06, 2009 08:25PM

I wonder if this school system ever pushed Ritalin on any of their students? My little brother's school system did... my mom found him hanging in his closet at age 16.

Peace little brother...

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 07, 2009 01:34AM

FCPS does not officially 'push' any kids to use prescriptions, they just 'strongly encourage' parents to 'help' their children by giving them 'the tools they need to succeed' in school.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 06:57AM

What were the incident(s) that led to zero tolerance/thinking being the order of the day? Was it all a post-Columbine thing?

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: April 07, 2009 09:02AM

That was the main thing, yeah.

Posted by: Just In ()
Date: April 07, 2009 09:58AM

Sure it was a birth control pill LOL That's the oldest trick in FFX county school. IF caught just say it was an asprin or something like that.

Posted by: Just Out ()
Date: April 07, 2009 10:25AM

Nah, it was a pound of pure heroin; LOL That's the oldest trick in the FFX county school Hearins Office. IF the accused is innocent, just say it was herion or cocanine or something like that.

Posted by: DRUDGE ()
Date: April 07, 2009 10:47AM

the story made Drudgereport

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Posted by: negro ()
Date: April 08, 2009 05:16PM

Even if they had any "extenuating circumstance" they don't give a flip. 1 out of the last 60 hearings have been overturned... You think all those kids didn't have circumstances, it really doesn't matter to them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.