HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recent repaving of 495 before Legion Bridge
Date: December 08, 2014 01:07PM

So they somewhat recently (during the past summer, I guess) milled down the section of 495 (Inner Loop) between Tysons and the American Legion Bridge, and "repaved" it.

Well, it has to be the worst damn job of repaving I've ever seen, especially the rightmost two lanes near the GW Parkway exit. Various uneven layers of asphalt, with some three inches higher on the left side of the lane compared to the middle or right. You'll see cars shunting over to the far right of their lane to avoiding riding with half of their left tires sitting in midair.

Anyways, is this a temporary repaving job, while they complete work on the rail in the median? Or do they intend to leave it as is? Kind of a night-and-day contrast with the 95 repaving in Howard County, which is smooth as a racetrack...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent repaving of 495 before Legion Bridge
Posted by: Tudwe ()
Date: December 08, 2014 01:19PM

So this is not really a "repaving" job.

This is really part of a much LARGER nightmare that will cause constant back up on 495N heading into Maryland from Rt 66 and beyond for the afternoons. Just wait and mark my word on this.

So VDOT has decided to make the right most shoulder a driving lane just like Rt 66 during HOV timeframes. So the right most shoulder had to be dug up and reworked to handle the weight and constant traffic travel on it. This is the majority of the construction. This is to allow the HOT Lanes a constant path to the American Legion Bridge rather than needing to merge back into the normal traffic lanes.

As part of all of this, the center Jersey wall is being raised to help cut down light from blinding drivers and to reduce the distraction of traffic flowing on both sides of the Jersey wall.

Just wait, you will see if you need to take I495 North into Maryland, once the HOT lane extension is working and they are allowing traffic to use the far right shoulder, any traffic that is not going to exit on the GW Parkway will have to merge back into the main traffic lanes.

Gridlock in Tysons, you will NEVER be able to leave, it will help housing/Condo sales in Tysons Corner proper!!

Posted by: Car Driver ()
Date: December 08, 2014 03:16PM

They are adding a fifth lane for a little more than mile. They did not realized that when you go from 6 lanes to 4 on the bridge it would create massive daily backups. Like 6 to 5 to 4 lanes over a mile is going to solve it?? VDOT is lazy and stupid. The nightly back up I pass while driving home is like it was before the Express Lanes on the Friday on a three day weekend. BUT, it is every night.

To use the hot lanes from my Burke home to go to work in Rockville, I would have to use the Braddock RD entrance. It would add 10 minutes to my commute to go down Braddock to gain 10 minutes by paying.

I instead cut across Woodburn to gallows. Most mornings, It is $8.00 or more to go a little over 4 miles. The State is raping NOVA citizens again. MD added the ICC that actually works and goes 16 miles. It is the most expensive road of this type in the US. See below. Now they are going to do this to I95. Again, this dumps more cars into NOVA at choke points. Tis also screws weekend users of the current carpool lanes who will be forced to pay for this.

Peak Toll Rate Comparisons:

Agency or Facility Approximate Peak Mileage Rates (2 axle)

I-495 Express - Virginia

$1.25 for E-ZPass (14 miles)

I-15 - California $1.00 for FasTrack (20 miles)

SR 91 - California
$.90 PM Peak
$.50 AM Peak for FasTrack (10 miles)

Rt. 73 – California
$.44 for FasTrack (15 miles)

Rt. 261 – California

$.30 for FasTrack (15 miles)

Dulles Greenway – Virginia

$.43 for E-ZPass (14 miles)

Rt. 241 – California

$.44 for FasTrack (12 miles)

ICC / MD 200
$.25 for E-ZPass (16 miles)

Posted by: Sonny Drysdale ()
Date: December 08, 2014 03:22PM

You mean the Cabin John bridge. I don't like change.

Posted by: Woodburn Road ()
Date: December 08, 2014 05:14PM

Car Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I instead cut across Woodburn to gallows. Most
> mornings, It is $8.00 or more to go a little over
> 4 miles. The State is raping NOVA citizens again.
> MD added the ICC that actually works and goes 16
> miles. It is the most expensive road of this type
> in the US. See below. Now they are going to do
> this to I95. Again, this dumps more cars into
> NOVA at choke points.

And it increases the traffic using my neighborhood as a cut-through. Thanks fuckwad, I've been hating living off of Gallows thease past 2years.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.