HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NoVA UVA Accounting Certificate Financial Aid
Posted by: Marion Barry ()
Date: December 07, 2014 05:07PM

Hey folks - 'long time reader, first time poster. I do intend on posting/replying to funny/controversial posts but this first one is kind of boring so feel free to ignore if you don't have advice/personal experience.

I can't get ahead at my job without getting a CPA - something that requires more time and money then I'd expected before talking to colleagues and doing some research. I have a Business Degree but lack the Accounting credits to sit for the exam and based on the initial pass rates would fail dismally if I took it today.

Long story short - UVA has a program at W Falls Church campus for a Accounting Certificate which satisfies the minimum credit requirements and should be a good prep for the state exam (think bar exam in terms of difficulty I've been told).

I've read everywhere that Certificate Programs (i.e. Certificate of Accounting) aren't usually covered by Student Loan companies (my undergrad is with Discover now w/ 3.1% APR).

Does any one know if there's a student loan company that will cover a Certificate Program at a reasonable APR? I'd pay out of pocket but that's a lot of money. Anyone's feedback is welcome; especially if you've attended UVA NoVA campus. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NoVA UVA Accounting Certificate Financial Aid
Posted by: Glad you're back ()
Date: December 07, 2014 09:01PM

I can't answer your question on financial aid, but is it possible that your work would pay for it? I completed this certificate in order to sit for the CPA exam too, and work paid for a class each semester. Some of them were good, but by the time I was ready to take the exam I had forgotten a lot. Yes, I passed, but I think it had to do more with the cram course that I took.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.