HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what's the deal with cigarette prices?
Posted by: smokingiscool ()
Date: December 06, 2014 10:35PM

6 bucks for a pack of reds?? Every where else in VA outside of nova I can get a pack of reds for 4 bucks. What is the reason for this? I thought the entire state should have the same taxes on cigarettes??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what's the deal with cigarette prices?
Posted by: Gentle Giant ()
Date: December 06, 2014 10:39PM

Hands Down...pay your poor and stupid tax to the man and smoke your Marlboro Reds

Posted by: smoke em if you got em ()
Date: December 06, 2014 11:02PM

Somebody has to pay for all the free food, housing, education and health care that the influx of Niggers, Spic's and assorted Towel heads demand after arriving in FFX county.

Posted by: raise the taxes! ()
Date: December 07, 2014 12:24AM

It's only fair you start paying the bill in advance for your lung cancer treatment.

Posted by: Doctor Kool ()
Date: December 07, 2014 12:40AM

Is it better to be a normal weight smoker or an obese non smoker?

Smoking used to help the fatties keep off weight by signaling to the body that eating time was over, hence the after meal cigarette.

Looking forward to a cigarette could help people cut down on large meals by activating a different pleasure in the brain.

Not a sermon just a thought

Posted by: Hey assfucks ()
Date: December 07, 2014 08:32AM

Your worthless goober asses are eligible for all the same programs as blacks, Hispanics, Arabs, and Asians. If life is SO HARD for you, shuffle on down to the welfare office and apply for something. Whiny-ass douchebag losers.

Posted by: nurse kool ()
Date: December 07, 2014 08:34AM

How about don't smoke AND don't overeat?

Posted by: athought ()
Date: December 07, 2014 10:17AM

When all the militant non smokers quit polluting my line with exhaust from fossils fueled vehicles than I will put away my smokes. Or I may for of emphysema or something first but fuck it ya gotta die of something bitches! Life is over rated you temple of the body morons!

Posted by: yetanotheraddiction ()
Date: December 07, 2014 10:34AM

Yet another addiction we all must suffer for. Alcoholics kill us on the roads and tobacco smokers will kill us anywhere they can. Used to be everywhere, where we ate, drank, flew, drank coffee and worked. Now we control the toxic carcinogen by taxing it. Laughable. You can get nicotine any number of ways that do not cause cancer yet smokers opt to inhale a strong carcinogen. Moreover they will gladly expose others including children, infants, pregnant moms without even thinking of it.

When it comes time to pay the piper (and by piper I mean the hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical care) smokers 'fight a brave battle.' Brave my ass. Selfish morons just add insult to injury by increasing the burden on the health care system. You wanna smoke, fine. You should have to do it in a glass encased room like at the airport with all the other idiots. And yes, you should have to pay a hundred dollars a pack so the rest of us dont have to subsidize your stupidity. If cannabis were one millionth as carcinogenic as tobacco or even alcohol that is all you would hear and rightfully so but in this country 'jobs' in the tobacco industry trump common sense and ordinary custodial care required within a civilized nation...

Date: December 07, 2014 04:18PM

I am aware that smoking is bad. I'm just curious as to why the prices differ in this part of the state. By the way I think it's cute that people believe in second-hand smoking.

Posted by: believe in the number '5' ()
Date: December 07, 2014 04:29PM

smokingiscool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am aware that smoking is bad. I'm just curious
> as to why the prices differ in this part of the
> state. By the way I think it's cute that people
> believe in second-hand smoking.

'believe in second-hand smoke' - idiot. That is like saying you think its cute people believe in the number '5' As to whether or not SHS causes cancer well here is some research that you will never look at because you are a moron:

American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2012. Atlanta, Ga. 2012.

American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2014. Atlanta, Ga. 2014.

American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO). Secondhand Smoke and Cancer. Accessed at www.cancer.net/all-about-cancer/risk-factors-and-prevention/tobacco/secondhand-smoke-and-cancer on December 13, 2013.

Betts KS. Secondhand Suspicions: Breast Cancer and Passive Smoking. Environ Health Perspect. 2007;115:A136-A143.

Borland R, Yong H-H, Siahpush M, et al. Support for and reported compliance with smoke-free restaurants and bars by smokers in four countries: findings from the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey. Tobacco Control. 2006;15(suppl 3):34-41.

California Environmental Protection Agency. Health Effects Assessment for Environmental Tobacco Smoke. June 2005. Accessed at www.oehha.ca.gov/air/environmental_tobacco/pdf/app3partb2005.pdf on December 16, 2013.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health. Current Intelligence Bulletin 54: Environmental Tobacco Smoke in the Workplace – Lung Cancer and Other Health Effects. 1991. (Publication No. 91-108) Accessed at www.nasdonline.org/document/1194/d001030/environmental-tobacco-smoke-in-the-workplace-lung-cancer.html on December 13, 2013.

Chen R, Wilson K, Chen Y, et al. Association between environmental tobacco smoke exposure and dementia syndromes. Occup Environ Med. 2013;70(1):63-69.

Dreyfuss JH. Thirdhand smoke identified as potent, enduring carcinogen. CA Cancer J Clin. 2010;60(4):203-204.

Hang B, Sarker AH, Havel C, et al. Thirdhand smoke causes DNA damage in human cells. Mutagenesis. 2013;28(4):381-391.

Hoh E, Hunt RN, Quintana PJ, et al. Environmental tobacco smoke as a source of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in settled household dust. Environ Sci Technol. 2012;46(7):4174-4183.

Matt GE, Quintana PJ, Destaillats H, et al. Thirdhand tobacco smoke: emerging evidence and arguments for a multidisciplinary research agenda. Environ Health Perspect. 2011;119(9):1218-1226.

Mbah AK, Salihu HM, Dagne G, et al. Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and risk of antenatal depression: application of latent variable modeling. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2013;16(4):293-302.

Mennella JA, Yourshaw LM, Morgan LK. Breastfeeding and smoking: short-term effects on infant feeding and sleep. Pediatrics. 2007;120:497-502.

National Cancer Institute. Secondhand Smoke and Cancer. Accessed at www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS on December 13, 2013.

Peres J. No Clear Link Between Passive Smoking and Lung Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Dec 6. [Epub ahead of print]

Polyzos A, Schmid TE, Piña-Guzmán B, et al. Differential sensitivity of male germ cells to mainstream and sidestream tobacco smoke in the mouse. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2009;237(3):298-305.

Public Health Law Center at William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota. Kids, Cars and Cigarettes: A Brief Look at Policy Options for Smoke-Free Vehicles. April 2011. Accessed at http://publichealthlawcenter.org/sites/default/files/resources/phlc-guide-kidscarssmoke-policyoptions-2011.pdf on December 13, 2013.

Sleiman M, Gundel LA, Pankow JF, et al. Formation of carcinogens indoors by surface-mediated reactions of nicotine with nitrous acid, leading to potential thirdhand smoke hazards. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107(15):6576-6581.

Thomas JL, Hecht SS, Luo X, et al. Thirdhand Tobacco Smoke: A Tobacco-Specific Lung Carcinogen on Surfaces in Smokers' Homes. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]

US Department of Health and Human Services. Report on Carcinogens, 12th Edition. Public Health Service – National Toxicology Program. “Tobacco-Related Exposures,” pp 408-414. Accessed at http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/twelfth/profiles/TobaccoRelatedExposures.pdf on December 13, 2013.

US Department of Health and Human Services. Children and Secondhand Smoke Exposure-Excerpts from The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General, 2007. Accessed at www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/smokeexposure/index.html on December 13, 2013.

US Department of Health & Human Services. How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease: The Biology and Behavioral Basis for Smoking-Attributable Disease: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2010. Accessed at www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/tobaccosmoke/index.html on December 13, 2013.

US Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2006. Accessed at www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/secondhandsmoke/ on December 13, 2013.

US Department of Health and Human Services. The Health Consequences of Smoking: A Report of the Surgeon General. 2004. Accessed at www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/smokingconsequences/index.html on December 13, 2013.

US Environmental Protection Agency. Frequent Questions. Indoor Air Quality. What can I do about secondhand smoke coming from my neighbor's apartment? Accessed at http://iaq.supportportal.com/link/portal/23002/23007/Article/21526/What-can-I-do-about-secondhand-smoke-coming-from-my-neighbor-s-apartment on December 13, 2013

US Environmental Protection Agency. Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking (Also Known as Exposure to Secondhand Smoke or Environmental Tobacco Smoke ETS). US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Office of Health and Environmental Assessment, Washington, DC; 1992. Accessed at http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/cfm/recordisplay.cfm?deid=2835 on December 13, 2013.

Wilson KM, Pier JC, Wesgate SC, Cohen JM, Blumkin AK. Second-Hand Tobacco Smoke Exposure and Severity of Influenza in Hospitalized Children. J Pediatr. 2012 Aug 3.

Winickoff JP, Friebely J, Tanski SE, et al. Beliefs about the health effects of “thirdhand” smoke and home smoking bans. Pediatrics. 2009;123(1):e74-79.

World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Smoke-free Policies, IARC Handbook of Cancer Prevention, Volume 13. 2009. “Chapter 2: Health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke (SHS),” pgs. 9-58. Accessed at www.iarc.fr/en/publications/pdfs-online/prev/handbook13/handbook13-2.pdf on December 13, 2013.

World Health Organization International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC Strengthens Its Findings on Several Carcinogenic Personal Habits and Household Exposures. November 2009. Accessed at www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2009/pdfs/pr196_E.pdf on December 13, 2013.

Zollinger TW, Saywell RM Jr, Robinson JJ, Jay SJ, Spitznagle MH. Effect of personal characteristics on individual support for indoor smoke-free air laws, Indiana, 2008. Prev Chronic Dis. 2012;9:E153. Accessed at www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2012/12_0091.htm on December 16, 2013.

Date: December 07, 2014 05:04PM

Google "evidence second hand smoke". You can find "studies" for both sides of the argument. I'm not even gonna waste my time citing shit. I just asked a simple question that's yet to be answered.

Posted by: Cigarette taxes ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:18PM

The federal excise tax on cigarettes is $1.01 per pack. The state adds another 30 cents to that, the second lowest state tax in the country. Here is a list of per pack taxes added by local jurisdictions as of July 2012...

Alexandria .80
Arlington County .30
Clifton .30
Dumfries .60
Fairfax City .85
Fairfax County .30
Falls Church .75
Haymarket .50
Herndon .75
Hillsboro .05
Leesburg .75
Lovettsville .40
Manassas City .65
Manassas Park .50
Middleburg .55
Purcellville .65
Round Hill .15
Vienna .75
Warrenton .15

Posted by: hcpvM ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:36PM

smokingiscool Wrote:
> Google "evidence second hand smoke". You can find
> "studies" for both sides of the argument. I'm not
> even gonna waste my time citing shit. I just asked
> a simple question that's yet to be answered.

The harm of second hand smoke is not in dispute within the scientific community. Im sure you could find studies from the 50's showing smoking is good for your health. Use your brain for god's sake. Stop smoking you will never regret it.

As to the costs of killing yourself with tobacco, why not use some of your fantastic research skills you used finding bogus second hand smoke studies and figure it out...

Posted by: well........ ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:40PM

smoke em if you got em Wrote:
> Somebody has to pay for all the free food,
> housing, education and health care that the influx
> of Niggers, Spic's and assorted Towel heads demand
> after arriving in FFX county.

The vast majority of Virginia residents that are dependent on government hand outs are white people. Look it up dumb-ass.

Posted by: I found some arguments ()
Date: December 07, 2014 07:53PM

I found some arguments that show the earth is flat so dont go claiming its round...

http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Posted by: Numbers Dude ()
Date: December 07, 2014 08:03PM

well........ Wrote:
> smoke em if you got em Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Somebody has to pay for all the free food,
> > housing, education and health care that the
> influx
> > of Niggers, Spic's and assorted Towel heads
> demand
> > after arriving in FFX county.
>
>
> The vast majority of Virginia residents that are
> dependent on government hand outs are white
> people. Look it up dumb-ass.

You don't understand percentages most likely. Welfare usage varies greatly by ethnicity. Since there are 200 million white people in the US and 40 million african americans the rate of welfare usage is what you have to look at not the total number.

African American welfare usage is around 40% while whites use the same programs at about a 4% rate at any given time.

Legal immigrants are eligible for welfare after 5 years in the states and use welfare programs in the 45% range per the whole migrant population.

Latinos need assistance at a much higher rate than Asian immigrants.

Posted by: In fact... ()
Date: December 07, 2014 08:05PM

It isn't all open and shut. It is all about associations. Smoking is associated with higher rates of this bad thing or that. But some people who smoke for a very long time are never afflicted with these bad things. And some people who have never smoked at all are. It appears that smoking is neither necessary nor sufficient in a majority of cases.

As for second-hand smoke, it is well to remember that no one has higher levels of exposure to second-hand smoke than a smoker. With respect to at least some claims for the dangers of second-hand smoke then, it would appear that being a smoker helps ward off these dangers, as smokers have not been plagued with them as often as they should have been from their elevated exposure to second-hand smoke alone.

That said, I don't think there is a person in the world who would not be well-advised to quit smoking by one therapeutic means or another.

Posted by: smokeysez ()
Date: December 08, 2014 05:13AM

yetanotheraddiction Wrote:
> Yet another addiction we all must suffer for.
> Alcoholics kill us on the roads and tobacco
> smokers will kill us anywhere they can. Used to
> be everywhere, where we ate, drank, flew, drank
> coffee and worked. Now we control the toxic
> carcinogen by taxing it. Laughable. You can get
> nicotine any number of ways that do not cause
> cancer yet smokers opt to inhale a strong
> carcinogen. Moreover they will gladly expose
> others including children, infants, pregnant moms
> without even thinking of it.
>
> When it comes time to pay the piper (and by piper
> I mean the hundreds of thousands of dollars of
> medical care) smokers 'fight a brave battle.'
> Brave my ass. Selfish morons just add insult to
> injury by increasing the burden on the health care
> system. You wanna smoke, fine. You should have
> to do it in a glass encased room like at the
> airport with all the other idiots. And yes, you
> should have to pay a hundred dollars a pack so the
> rest of us dont have to subsidize your stupidity.
> If cannabis were one millionth as carcinogenic as
> tobacco or even alcohol that is all you would hear
> and rightfully so but in this country 'jobs' in
> the tobacco industry trump common sense and
> ordinary custodial care required within a
> civilized nation...

Eat a dick you sanctimonious loser. Your methane is giving me cancer.

Posted by: smokeysez ()
Date: December 08, 2014 05:15AM

Don't care if I kill you with cancer too.

Posted by: Performance art of misunderstand ()
Date: December 08, 2014 07:13AM

In fact... Wrote:
> It isn't all open and shut. It is all about
> associations. Smoking is associated with higher
> rates of this bad thing or that. But some people
> who smoke for a very long time are never afflicted
> with these bad things. And some people who have
> never smoked at all are. It appears that smoking
> is neither necessary nor sufficient in a majority
> of cases.
>
> As for second-hand smoke, it is well to remember
> that no one has higher levels of exposure to
> second-hand smoke than a smoker. With respect to
> at least some claims for the dangers of
> second-hand smoke then, it would appear that being
> a smoker helps ward off these dangers, as smokers
> have not been plagued with them as often as they
> should have been from their elevated exposure to
> second-hand smoke alone.
>
> That said, I don't think there is a person in the
> world who would not be well-advised to quit
> smoking by one therapeutic means or another.

wow, amazing. Performance art of misunderstanding and ignorance - bravo.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.