HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Penn Daw people do you remember Pizza Villa?
Posted by: Penn Daw Guy ()
Date: November 27, 2014 06:52AM

Checking in here to see if anyone remembers eating at Pizza Villa Pizza? It was a great tasting rectangular thin (crispy) crust pizza. They had these little teeny pepperonis. Great stuff. They made a great steak sub too.

I recall the owner was a thin Italian-looking guy with black hair (can't remember his name). There was a younger guy with kinda long, bushy brown hair, working for him that he would always argue with. There was also a very regular customer that's was ALWAYS there, short red hair, older guy, always drinking a beer.

Just a thought from the past... Pizza Villa. I really miss the old days, riding my bike or skateboard to Pizza Villa with friends.

I once met some buddies there and one friend liked there steak subs so much he challenged us all and he ended up eating 5-6 in one sitting. He wasn't a fat kid at all. I remember we ended up there again the next day after some skateboard riding and he ordered a steak sub again. I couldn't believe that.

Anyway, the Pizza is my obsession... Does anyone know any History of this joint? The Names? Any Trivia or Memories? current Whereabouts of the original team? Comparable, currently available Pizza anywhere? Did they make the pizza crust shells there or was it something they got from a supplier and just topped there at the store? I have been comparing every pizza to the Villa for decades and miss that place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Penn Daw people do you remember Pizza Villa?
Posted by: yea I do ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:41AM

Square pizza that sucked

Posted by: one thing to remember ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:00AM

Duck pin

Posted by: trangert418 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:19AM

I went there frequently as a kid. Loved the pizza and the steak and cheese. I recall there being a tall guy with thinning black hair that I always thought was the owner of the joint. Then there was an older, really thin, wrinkly looking, red haired man that worked there. I remember one was named "Shirley" but don't know which guy that was. The only other person I remember there was Billy, probably 20 something, mentally & physically challenged, that folded pizza boxes, swept the floor, cleaned tables, etc.

I don't know how long ago the place closed down but sometime after it closed I ran into the tall guy at the Safeway in Fairfax......the one between Old Lee Hwy and University Dr. This was probably at least 20 years ago. I asked him about the pizza shop and he said he couldn't afford to stay there because the rent was too high. I didn't ask what he was currently doing but he was dressed in business attire.

Date: November 27, 2014 10:12PM

Interesting, yes I recall the name "Billy" too. Can't remember which one that was. And I do believe the red-haired guy I am speaking of was handicapped as you mentioned. Those guys were all characters at times. It had been a business there for many, many years before my times there. My brother was substantially older than me and he used to go there too when he was young.

I gotta extend my questions for "yeah I do" or anyone else who had there square Pizza and didn't like it... please tell me a pizza that you do like. Very curious.

Not exactly square.. it was rectangle, 12 slices (3x4), we used to fight over the 2 center pieces but any crust piece was a good consolation prize anyway. The small pizza was about 12" round and not as good as a "large" rectangle for some reason. I remember they had Murray Steaks stopping in there all the time but I assume that was just for the sandwich steaks.

Date: November 27, 2014 10:15PM

I also recall the name "Shirley" for some reason. Reaching distant memory.

Date: November 27, 2014 11:20PM

My last recollection of the place was early to mid 80s. When did it close down?

Posted by: Possible Back Story ()
Date: November 28, 2014 12:28AM

There were a lot of these same kind of establishments peppered around Northern Virginia back in the day. The one that I used to frequent was called Pizza Fair. It was on Rt. 50 in Falls Church, just east of Graham Road, on the north side of Rt. 50.

I read somewhere (maybe Chowhound) that these places were started as a result of some pizza oven sales company that made its way through here and sold the recipes and possibly the ingredients to those who bought their ovens and opened up pizza places. Something akin to franchising, without using the same brand for the businesses.

I finally found one of these left standing a couple of years ago. Pepi's Pizza Box on (I think) Van Dorn Street just off of 236 in Western Alexandria. Bought a few pizzas there over the course of the couple of years, but they recently closed. It was a dump, but the pizza (ordered to go) brought back memories.

The Broiler in Arlington has also been mentioned as a place that serves this style of pizza, but if they ever did (and they might have, because the large is the 3 x 4 rectangle), they have mangled the recipe, including way too much gloppy cheese.

Date: November 28, 2014 12:53AM

I don't remember it as "Pepi's" Pizza Box, just Pizza Box, but it sounds like the same place. It was next to the 7-11 on Jordan St by Foxchase Shopping Center. I didn't go there as frequebtly as Penn Daw Pizza but I do remember the pizza being very similar. They relocated to the shopping center on Pickett St.

I looked it up and it closed down on 2/1/14

Date: November 28, 2014 06:00AM

Never saw the Pizza Fair but I also recall "Pizza Box", both with and without the "Pepi" over next to that 7-11 off of Duke Street! I never stopped in there that I remember and also never knew they were later relocated on Pickett Street. Man I would have bravely risked an exposure to Pepi's nastiness for a second chance at the rectangle. Sorry I missed that. I will check out The Broiler soon and tell them to go easy on the glop.

I would bet the idea that this pizza was a perk from the oven sales company is accurate. It makes good sense. Going on that thought, there MUST be an operation still in business somewhere, still stuck in the rut and resisting change, within a drive of here.

I am going through a phase... If you folks can help me find a replacement rectangle somewhere all I will need is a couple BETA movie rentals from Erols and I am all set.

Date: November 29, 2014 11:44AM

Bump for a now defunct pizza type.

Posted by: Mark Hess ()
Date: July 02, 2015 04:46PM

I worked there from 1972 to about 1975 as a teen. Bruce was the owner (a great guy BTW). Shirley was a poor alcoholic but also a nice guy. There was Rusty and Donnie (cousins). Bruce made the dough by hand each day and his pizza had a real following. Later on he sold out. By then, there were pizza franchises all over the Route 1 area.

Posted by: Hungryagain ()
Date: July 03, 2015 05:09AM

Does anyone know of a place like that now around the area?

Date: July 03, 2015 03:26PM

Most of my visits to Pizza Villa were after bowling at the old Ten Pin Coliseum (later changed to Alexandria Bowling Center).

Been several years since I was in ABC and heard recently that it closed up. Not much left in Penn Daw from my youth......Krispy Kreme is about it.

Posted by: Nice Guy Eddie ()
Date: July 03, 2015 06:38PM

one thing to remember Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Duck pin

Same here. First thought was Penn Daw lanes.

Posted by: ...... ()
Date: July 04, 2015 02:41PM

Everythings gone.
Even the bookstore.
cvs and the auto parts store to close in august.
theyre building apartments like they just built across the st.
supposedly the ground floor will be stores, unlike the ones just built.

Posted by: Gruntled ()
Date: July 06, 2015 08:49AM

I really miss Pizza Villa. I think a rent hike forced them out, and the place was taken over for a VERY short time by an outfit called Telepizza. I don't know that I ever ordered anything from them.

Pizza Villa was the best. The only thing I've had recently that compares is from Bozelli's.

Posted by: vbtmn ()
Date: July 06, 2015 03:33PM

I miss Full Tilt Marine. Next door (or very close to) Krispy Kreme. They had the best prices around on Yamaha outboard motors (Mercury too if you were dumb enough to buy that junk).

Gotta go to North Carolina now to get a deal on a pair of new Yammys.

Date: December 22, 2016 07:25AM

I wont give up... any updates? Any tips on something closer in taste/style to Penn Daw Pizza? I need a delicious overly-thinned crisp crust pizza in a super flimsy cardboard box. ....Ahhh, Bruce? Billy? Shirley? ...You've left a legend.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: December 22, 2016 10:51AM

In South Arlington, on Fillmore Street just north of the Columbia Pike intersection, there is a place that used to be called Fillmore Pizza, but the sign on the store now says Sicilian Pizza. When they were known as Fillmore, they served the type of pizza you describe. Although I'm not sure they advertise it, I was told they still may offer the old, rectangular pizza if asked.

Posted by: The Broiler ()
Date: December 22, 2016 02:38PM

You might also give The Broiler a try (Columbia Pike, just west of Glebe Rd.), and ask them to go easy on the cheese. I have been meaning to do this, but haven't been over that way in quite a while. I am the one who mentioned The Broiler above-the crust seemed to be close, but no way on the amount of cheese.

The Fillmore Pizza online menu shows only circular pies, but Fillmore above may be onto something--see if they will do it on request.

Posted by: skinsfan87 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 02:56PM

Not in Fairfax County but in Front Royal there is a place called Melting Pot, very similar to the Penn Daw or Pizza Box Pizza. Its been there since 1972.
http://www.meltingpotpizza.com/

Posted by: Fried Snakehead Pizza Eater ()
Date: December 23, 2016 05:20PM

Not in Fairfax County but in New York City there's this place called Lombardi's, The Best Pizza in America.

http://www.firstpizza.com/

And In Fairfax City..there's this really cool place called Zaytoons..They sell Pizza.

And At Fair Lakes Next to Dicks There's the best two big pizzas made in FXCO..At Whole Foods for bout 20 bucks..! Bout as Good as Lombardis..Bacon Ham Sausage Pepperoni .. Hog Meat Special..You check what you want ..Veggies you got it Baby!

DAJAX Working on That Fried Snakehead Topping..Maybe I can just get Kimchi Pizza..Or Peanut Butter Pizza..Like Koreans made at a Pizza Joint next to the 7-11 cross from Jefferson Fire on Rt 50 many moons ago.. And At Natty Harbor and Chuys there's two Lib Gun Grabbing Queers Drinking Warm Shitty Beers , calling umselves..by my name..
Attachments:
Lombardis.jpg
WholeFoods.jpg

Date: September 16, 2017 05:03PM

Thanks to all.. Filmore and Broiker, special thanks. These may be hot leads to follow up on.

I'm in Front Royal occasionally and will try that place too!!!! Thank you!

Continue with any other memories or leads. Every discount pizza I've had since was a waste of the calories by comparison to my Pizza Villa memories.

Date: December 11, 2022 12:36PM

I sadly STILL haven’t tried the Broiler or Filmore in my quest for the PENN DAW PIZZA of 2022. Gonna get it on schedule for this week not see whats up there. Anyone else remember BRUCE, BILLY, SHIRLEY and that awesome RECTANGLE pizza?

Date: December 11, 2022 12:43PM

WHAT? I must!!!!!!!!! Even if it’s not right.. thanks to the guy above that mentioned this. It LOOKS right, thats enough! I am going to the Broiler.
Attachments:
5540CEC6-5A74-4FB4-8F04-3257AEBF8B58.png

Date: December 12, 2022 02:27PM

WOW… The Broiler was actually pretty close! It’s definitely rectangle, cut in the 3x4 matrix, and pretty good. Not disappointed. Thank you.

I asked for less cheese, nit even knowing what their normal cheese is and it was very good. Especially the peperoni.

Posted by: Picccillo The Italian Pizza Boss ()
Date: December 12, 2022 05:43PM

You wanna thin crust good pizza HUH

You needs a dough shelter

See this place for all you ever want to know about pizza

Http://www.pizzamaking.com

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.