HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New minimum wage legislation
Posted by: Low Paid Wages ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:21PM

aimed at 10.10/hr... but....
may take THREEEE YEARS??? HUH?
why? Anyone?
Anyone know?
article's here http://bit.ly/1ycWfb0

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New minimum wage legislation
Posted by: Gimme a raze bitchez ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:24PM

$10.10? Fuck that.

$15 Ahora!

YAH_Chicagoans-NancyDelgado-teaser.jpg

Posted by: Wondering. ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:03PM

Why does anyone with less than minimal skills deserve any kind of minimum wage, let alone a doubling of an already inflated wage? How about these losers make themselves worth something by acquiring some meaningful abilities?

I'm for abolishing the minimum wage altogether. Let the market work out what wages should be.

Posted by: Some people are confused ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:20PM

Wondering. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why does anyone with less than minimal skills
> deserve any kind of minimum wage, let alone a
> doubling of an already inflated wage? How about
> these losers make themselves worth something by
> acquiring some meaningful abilities?

Then who would do the work that current minimum-wage workers are doing? Low-wage labor is a commodity input to many production functions. If it isn't one bunch doing those jobs, it will be another. The question is over how much they should be paid, and whether their employers should pay the cost of that or whether taxpayers should subsidize those costs as is done today.

> I'm for abolishing the minimum wage altogether.
> Let the market work out what wages should be.

Take an Econ course. Markets don't work when those on one side of the market have all the power and those on the other side have none.

Posted by: yGcwe ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:20PM

Finally, the Democrat's Minimum Wage dogma appears to be dying.

I mean, what real American wants to hold his hope on making a living wage?

Commercial:

Husband: Hi Honey. Guess what?

Wife: What, honey?

Husband: The Democrats raised my minimum wage.

Wife: You're my hero!

Minimum wage is for teenagers, or older people working part time.

Posted by: Bollp ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:36PM

She bringing boot back

Posted by: Wondering. ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:42PM

Some people are confused Wrote:
> Then who would do the work that current
> minimum-wage workers are doing? Low-wage labor is
> a commodity input to many production functions.
> If it isn't one bunch doing those jobs, it will be
> another. The question is over how much they
> should be paid, and whether their employers should
> pay the cost of that or whether taxpayers should
> subsidize those costs as is done today.

The answer to that question is "a lot less". The fair answer for the taxpayers is to reduce public assistance programs. It's not the job of government to be a Sugar Daddy.

> Take an Econ course. Markets don't work when
> those on one side of the market have all the power
> and those on the other side have none.

I could write an econ textbook.

Posted by: Shelf-life expired ()
Date: November 26, 2014 06:48PM

yGcwe Wrote:
> Minimum wage is for teenagers, or older people
> working part time.

That notion is long dead. There are almost as many workers with a spouse present in the home being paid minimum wage or below as there are teenagers.

Date: November 26, 2014 06:55PM

Wondering. Wrote:
> The answer to that question is "a lot less". The
> fair answer for the taxpayers is to reduce public
> assistance programs. It's not the job of government
> to be a Sugar Daddy.

We'll see what tune you sing after a tornado blows your whole town away. One of the basic purposes of any society is risk-sharing. Risk is bad. It's why we have insurance programs of all sorts out there. Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize what planet you live on.

> I could write an econ textbook.

No, you couldn't. You plainly don't know shit about the topic.

Posted by: Dems Cant Answer The Question ()
Date: November 26, 2014 09:45PM

If Min wage is raised to 9,10,12,15 dollars a hour what do business owners do with people that have got raises and make more then minimum ..Just raise them up too. As if any business owner is making reaping profits in the "Obama Economy " What a JOKE! This will only put more people out of work!

After this country gets a GOP President and GOP Congress in 2016 and businesses start making money again, then lets talk about it.

Obama Economey = Welfare Economey Fueled by Millions of illegals = AKA Future votes for more welfare Democrats= USA flushed down the drain and starts to degrade as a Turd World Country..

Posted by: Not Paul Krugman ()
Date: November 26, 2014 10:55PM

Shelf-life expired Wrote:
> yGcwe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Minimum wage is for teenagers, or older people
> > working part time.
>
> That notion is long dead. There are almost as
> many workers with a spouse present in the home
> being paid minimum wage or below as there are
> teenagers.

That doesn't mean it has to be. Weren't we promised fundamental transformation back in 2008? Or have you given up?

Posted by: reality2 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 11:30PM

Dems Cant Answer The Question Wrote:
> If Min wage is raised to 9,10,12,15 dollars a hour
> what do business owners do with people that have
> got raises and make more then minimum ..Just raise
> them up too. As if any business owner is making
> reaping profits in the "Obama Economy " What a
> JOKE! This will only put more people out of work!
>
> After this country gets a GOP President and GOP
> Congress in 2016 and businesses start making money
> again, then lets talk about it.
>
>
> Obama Economey = Welfare Economey Fueled by
> Millions of illegals = AKA Future votes for more
> welfare Democrats= USA flushed down the drain and
> starts to degrade as a Turd World Country..

You obviously haven't been paying attention - Businesses are making boatloads of money - The Stock Market has more than doubled and is at all time highs - 401k plans are (if you didn't bail) way above where they were before the recession -- the US has one of the highest growth rates (3.9%) around the World -- the US economy is leading the World right now -- In 2015 the US will become an exporter of Energy rather than in Importer -- The overall energy market is very strong -- Labor markets are recovering -- Housing Market has recovered; Only Wage growth relative to inflation hasn't come back -- Using facts rather than political name calling might be a great idea.

Posted by: cg!7p ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:22AM

The system is not designed, nor is every person designed to become highly skilled or education. Shit jobs are vast and the fastest growing industry. Society needs and depends on these people as much or more than any other profession.
Lets face it, these people aren't the sharpest people around. They can no more help being what they are than a homo, a black or a woman can. Their lives are constant humiliation,abuse and hardship. The weakest of people are forced to endure hardships that the strongest believe themselves way too weak for. They have no voice, unlike the other abused second class citizens in society. The same people who feel their kids deserve inheritance for nothing think these workers deserve nothing for hard, shitty work.
This is not a modern society, have smartphones doesn't mean these aren't still low,ignorant,orangutan days.

Posted by: Econ 101 ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:25AM

Fact: higher min. wage = fewer low-end jobs.
Fact: higher min. wage = higher prices. No one ends up ahead.

Posted by: 1/32nd Cherokee ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:25AM

"The same people who feel their kids deserve inheritance..."

Um, most people don't feel their kids deserve inheritance. It's the kids who feel they deserve inheritance.

Date: November 27, 2014 10:48AM

Dems Cant Answer The Question Wrote:
> If Min wage is raised to 9,10,12,15 dollars a hour
> what do business owners do with people that have
> got raises and make more then minimum ..Just raise
> them up too.

Obviously. Minimum wage effects many more hourly workers than just those working at or below the federal minimum.

> As if any business owner is making reaping profits
> in the "Obama Economy " What a JOKE! This will only
> put more people out of work!

If your business is struggling today, that is on YOU, not Obama. Despite the efforts of Republicans to block and derail it, the broad economy has been on a significant advance since mid-2009. If you can't succeed in an environment like this, you need to look for a new line of work. You are not cut out to be an entrepreneur.

> After this country gets a GOP President and GOP
> Congress in 2016 and businesses start making money
> again, then lets talk about it.

Because we've done so well under Republicans in the past? Nine of the ten recessions since 1950 occurred under Republican Presidents. The one that didn't lasted all of 6 months. The last economically successful Republican administration was who, Calvin Coolidge? And don't put too many eggs in HIS basket either, what with those 27 months worth of recessions in 1923-24 and 1926-27. You need to wake up. Republicans have been awful for the economy since back in great-grandma's days.

Posted by: Shelf-life expired ()
Date: November 27, 2014 10:54AM

Not Paul Krugman Wrote:
> That doesn't mean it has to be.

It does however mean that the notion of minimum wage jobs being just for teens and old folks is outdated bunk. It has been for quite a while. Which was the point. This is the sort of problem that one runs into when all one knows is a bunch of hapless old wives' tales.

Posted by: Oh, you poor baby... ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:35AM

Econ 101 Wrote:
> Fact: higher min. wage = fewer low-end jobs.
> Fact: higher min. wage = higher prices.
> No one ends up ahead.

My, my, but your vast and utter ignorance is showing here. The sorts of studies that modern computing power has made possible have shown now for some time that increases in the minimum wage consistent with historical examples of them result in NO MEASURABLE INCREASES in either inflation or unemployment. Both the increases themselves and the numbers of workers who receive them are too small to combine into an actually observable macro-level effect. It seems that Econ 101 just wasn't enough. Assuming that you ever passed that, you really should have tried Econ 102.

Meanwhile, the people who most obviously benefit would be those millions of workers whose wages would finally catch up for at least some part of what they have lost to inflation since the last increase.

Also benefiting would be taxpayers, as some 45% of all workers currently making less than $10.10 an hour are receiving income assistance benefits. These payments amount to privately imposed subsidies to employers who have been able to externalize a part their costs by dumping them onto taxpayers instead of onto shareholders or customers. An increase in the minimum wage would put a portion of these subsidies back where they belong.

Posted by: Our butthurt libnutz troll ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:49AM

Still frothing.

Why so mad?

Posted by: Real world calling ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:57AM

1/32nd Cherokee Wrote:
> Um, most people don't feel their kids deserve inheritance.
> It's the kids who feel they deserve inheritance.

Actually, almost everyone who is successful enough to have the option would like to leave a significant portion of the wealth they have accumulated to the children they have accumulated. While some states still have estate or inheritance taxes that would impact on ordinary sorts of people, federal estate taxes are now for the mega-wealthy only, so passing wealth on is typically not a problem. This is probably bad policy, but it is still the law at the present time.

As for who wants to kick low-income workers in the gut, it is not generally the wealthy and well-educated, but rather the struggling, poorly educated, and often right-wing elements who have been brow-beaten into a fear of soon losing out to and being overtaken by those low-income workers. Not such an admirable sort, those folks.

Posted by: Troo The Voat ! ()
Date: November 27, 2014 11:59AM

Our butthurt libnutz troll Wrote:
> Still frothing. Why so mad?

Still the dumbest poster on the internets.

Posted by: yes, our libnutz is still ()
Date: November 27, 2014 12:30PM

Still stuck on stupid.

Posted by: Pedro357 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 12:54AM

If having a $15 minimum wage is "good" for an economy . . . why not just make it $20 or $50 an hour. Think of it, we could eliminate poverty around the world if everyone got $100/hour!

Posted by: Sorry Pedro ()
Date: November 30, 2014 11:12AM

Under Your plan a loaf of bread would cost 11 dollars.

>As for who wants to kick low-income workers in the gut, it is not generally the wealthy and well-educated, but rather the struggling, poorly educated, and often right-wing elements who have been brow-beaten into a fear of soon losing out to and being overtaken by those low-income workers. Not such an admirable sort, those folks.

Bullshit babbling from an orifice of a silver spoon fed trust fund inheritance leftist Elite. The "Limo Liberals"

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: November 30, 2014 03:29PM

I can remember a time when Minimum wage was $2.65 an hour, I was great to get a .10 cent and hour raise. I started my career in 1988 at $18,900, Today I make $66,000 after 26 years with the same Gov't Job, when I was making 18k Gas was .99 a gallon, Rent on a 1 BR Apt in Manassas was $525.00 a month, today Gas is lower but that wont last long, just look as it was $4.50 the past few years. Corporations are in it to make Profit, that's called Investors, If the product increases due to Labor Wage, the Retailer is going to increase it compensate for the higher cost. If the Retailer has to pay more, they are going to Increase it to cover the added cost, as stated earlier, no one is going to get ahead, and the only ones making anything out of it are the ones willing to work for less (Undocumented workers) or those who Own the Business (Self Employed) and we wonder why so much is Out Sourced to third world countries. China is a snap shot of how America was 50 - 100 years ago, they are now Demanding Higher Pay, Better Benefits, and stealing the technology to sell products to other countries. LG from what I remember reading was Buying the patents that expired from other companies Westinghouse, Phillips, Panasonic etc.. and now sell the products we have already had with the Brand name changed.

Date: November 30, 2014 03:42PM

Sorry Pedro Wrote:
> Bullshit babbling from an orifice of a silver
> spoon fed trust fund inheritance leftist Elite.
> The "Limo Liberals"

Simple facts, asshole. When it comes to who wants to kick low-income workers in
the gut, it is not generally the wealthy and well-educated, but rather the struggling, poorly educated, and often right-wing elements who have been brow-beaten into a fear of soon losing out to and being overtaken by those low-income workers. The country and its economy actually work best when care is taken over the interests of hose on the bottom. This is the lesson that asswipes like Reagan, the Bushes, and that lame-ass Romney-fuck have never managed to learn. We have been paying quite a price for such ignorance.

Date: November 30, 2014 04:00PM

Burke Brat Wrote:

> If the product increases due to Labor Wage, the
> Retailer is going to increase it compensate for
> the higher cost. If the Retailer has to pay more,
> they are going to Increase it to cover the added
> cost, as stated earlier, no one is going to get
> ahead, and the only ones making anything out of
> it are the ones willing to work for less.

You need to read up on something called the price-elasticity of demand.

You also need to understand that low-wage labor is simply one of many inputs in a production function. The prices of all inputs tend to go up over time. Reacting to such changes is part of what it means to run a business. If you're one who can't pass a test without knowing all the answers in advance, then you really aren't worth much as a businessman at all.

Posted by: STFU already ()
Date: November 30, 2014 05:08PM

I wish everybody would SHTF about raising the minimum wage!

I make minimum wage but with my $250 a month Section 8 townhouse and all my other government freebies, I live very well.

They would have to rise the minimum wage to $30 or more for me to afford my current standard of living.

PLEASE I DO NOT WANT A RAISE!!!!! (but they can increase my bennies all they want!)

Posted by: FrankRizzo ()
Date: November 30, 2014 05:24PM

STFU already Wrote:
> I wish everybody would SHTF about raising the
> minimum wage!
>
> I make minimum wage but with my $250 a month
> Section 8 townhouse and all my other government
> freebies, I live very well.
>
> They would have to rise the minimum wage to $30 or
> more for me to afford my current standard of
> living.
>
> PLEASE I DO NOT WANT A RAISE!!!!! (but they can
> increase my bennies all they want!)

Hey, FUCK YOU!

Posted by: Shove it up your ass, numbnuts ()
Date: November 30, 2014 05:25PM

STFU already Wrote:
> I make minimum wage but with my $250 a month
> Section 8 townhouse and all my other government
> freebies, I live very well.

No, you don't. And neither does anyone else.

> They would have to rise the minimum wage to $30 or
> more for me to afford my current standard of
> living.

Bwahahahahaha! Is that what Rush told you? What a loser!

> PLEASE I DO NOT WANT A RAISE!!!!! (but they can
> increase my bennies all they want!)

You lose less that 100 cents in bennies for a dollar gained in income.

Posted by: GJY3U ()
Date: December 01, 2014 05:11PM

Anyone making minimum wage with kids should have their kids taken away.

Posted by: automated systems, Inc. ()
Date: December 01, 2014 05:20PM

We're doing great!

Posted by: Liberal Economist ()
Date: December 01, 2014 07:43PM

Let's raise the minimum wage to $300 so everyone can be RICH! Hooray! Why didn't anyone think of this before? Aren't we liberal economists smart?!

Posted by: I gots 99 problems and babies #1 ()
Date: December 01, 2014 10:32PM

Stop having fucking babies and most of your problems will be solved.

Posted by: Automation Engineer ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:10AM

Raising the minimum wage makes automation more cost effective and will be great for my business. Too bad about elimination of jobs for dumbass entitled lazy libtards!

Posted by: More Morons ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:15AM

GJY3U Wrote:
> Anyone making minimum wage with kids should have
> their kids taken away.

What should be done about people who are as stupid as you are?

Posted by: More morons ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:19AM

Liberal Economist Wrote:
> Let's raise the minimum wage to $300 so everyone
> can be RICH! Hooray! Why didn't anyone think of
> this before? Aren't we liberal economists
> smart?!

Pay attention in school, frisbee-brain. It will eventually be explained to you enough times for you to understand why this wouldn't work. It's incredible how stupid some of you are.

Posted by: the real moron alert ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:22AM

More morons Wrote:
> Liberal Economist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let's raise the minimum wage to $300 so
> everyone
> > can be RICH! Hooray! Why didn't anyone think
> of
> > this before? Aren't we liberal economists
> > smart?!
>
> Pay attention in school, frisbee-brain. It will
> eventually be explained to you enough times for
> you to understand why this wouldn't work. It's
> incredible how stupid some of you are.

The real moron can't detect the sarcasm in that post.

Date: December 02, 2014 10:26AM

Automation Engineer Wrote:
> Raising the minimum wage makes automation more
> cost effective and will be great for my business.

Then we should raise the minimum wage simply to spur innovation.

> Too bad about elimination of jobs for dumbass
> entitled lazy libtards!

Minimum wage jobs are like the washing and ironing that we used to make women do. It's a waste of productivity. The sooner we don't need those jobs anymore, the better off we will be.

By the way, you don't have a business. You are still in high school after all.

Date: December 02, 2014 10:30AM

the real moron alert Wrote:
> The real moron can't detect the sarcasm in that post.

That's because there wasn't any sarcasm. Like so many other mindless morons before you, you actually took that proposal to be a serious argument.

Posted by: Obama Supporter ()
Date: December 02, 2014 07:28PM

Seriously, why do conservatives oppose the idea of raising the minimum wage to $300/hr? They're just heartless old misers. A vote for Democrats is a vote for everyone to be RICH, RICH, RICH!!! Remember, if you want to make $300/hr at your job as a Walmart greeter, vote DEMOCRAT!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.