HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
More boundry studies by FCPS
Posted by: Facts ()
Date: April 01, 2009 05:18AM

Here we go again. First they tell us that there is no room for SOCO students at Lake Braddock and thats the reason they will spend 60 million of our money on a new middle school in SOCO.

Now there is available capacity at LB? What is the truth?

This is all BS by this school board. See below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fairfax County School Board May Study Overcrowding at Annandale High School

Annandale High School is severely overcrowded, and the school system could provide enrollment relief to the school by using available capacities at Falls Church High School and at Lake Braddock Secondary School.

Poe Middle School is also overcrowded, and a boundary study would realign feeder middle schools at Glasgow and Lake Braddock to provide needed enrollment relief to Poe Middle School.

The School Board will discuss the possibility of a boundary study as new business for its March 19 meeting, with action scheduled for April 2 to vote on whether to conduct the study.

Due to the severity of overcrowding at Annandale High School and at Poe Middle School, the study is being undertaken this spring in order to allow some relief at the beginning of the 2010-11 school year.

School system staff members recommend that this study be limited to Annandale High School, Falls Church High School, Lake Braddock Secondary School, and Poe and Glasgow Middle Schools to take advantage of schools with capacity to receive new students, minimize the complexity of the study, and initiate relief beginning with the 2010-11 school year.

If the School Board votes to conduct this boundary study, it would begin in spring 2009. The process would include town meetings, community outreach, and notices. Authorization of this study does not preclude an expanded study in the future to look at other areas where relief could be provided.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More boundry studies by FCPS
Posted by: Facts ()
Date: April 01, 2009 05:27AM

We should feel so good that this group of nitwits care so much about our kids.

Get the kids out of the 965 portable rat trap trailers first, before you do anything. No GHII. No boundry studies unless you reduce the trailers.

Here is another one:

Boundary Studies - Spring 2009

Fairfax County School Board May Study Overcrowding at Fort Belvoir Elementary School

Concerned that Fort Belvoir Elementary School is overcrowded, the Fairfax County School Board may vote in the near future to conduct a boundary study on ways to eliminate the overcrowding. The School Board will discuss the possibility of a boundary study and the scope of study on its agenda of new business for its March 19 meeting, with action scheduled for April 2 to vote on whether to do the study and the scope of study.

While Fort Belvoir Elementary School is more than 200 students over its capacity of 1,217 students, close-by Woodlawn Elementary School is more than 200 students below its capacity. Growth at Fort Belvoir Elementary School is expected to continue over the next few years.

The question has no easy solution. If the School Board votes to conduct a boundary study, officials at Fort Belvoir and the Fairfax County School Board will work together closely to explore all possible solutions.

While the FCPS planning staff has focused on a particular area for consideration in the scope of study, other boundary solutions are under discussion. The School Board may elect to expand the scope of study to include other schools or Fort Belvoir areas.

If the School Board votes to conduct a boundary study, the Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) web site will list frequently asked questions and their answers for interested residents. Currently, information about the existing boundaries and general information about FCPS boundary studies can be found here.

Posted by: here we go again ()
Date: April 01, 2009 09:53AM

I do remember Dean Tistadt saying that Lake Braddock was full last year when asked about moving SOCO kids over there. I think even the PTA Pres at LB basically said we don't want more kids here-like she has a say in the matter.

I am miffed why FCPS built these high schools for so many students. Study after study says that 2000 should be the max. Not sure how Annandale grew so overcrowded in a few years-there is no land to build on over there.

Lee should be included in this study-send the kids from North Springfield to Lee and the balance to Falls Church and Woodson.

Keep Lake Braddock for the SOCO overflow so we don't have to spend $75 million on a new middle school.

The inclusion of Lake Braddock I am sure was orchestrated by Storck and Bradsher to keep their SOCO MS dreams alive. I would also like to know Tessie Wilson's role in excluding Woodson from this boundary discussion. When are we sending the Fairfax Station "island" kids to Robinson?? I thought eliminating attendance islands was a priority.

This SB is totally devious. We need professionals doing our boudaries-too much shenanigans going on.

Posted by: Do more studies ()
Date: April 03, 2009 05:52AM

If the SB wants to do more boundry studies, then do one in SOCO. Move the students to LBHS and Hayfield so that there will be no need for the 60 million dollar middle school. Use the 60 million to save jobs, TEACHERS.

Why not do a complete boundry study of all schools in the FCPS system so that more money could be saved.

Posted by: targeted studies only ()
Date: April 03, 2009 11:28AM

Do more studies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Why not do a complete boundry study of all schools
> in the FCPS system so that more money could be
> saved.

Because
a) the SLHS RD was so incompetently and politically handled that the community has no confidence in the SB's ability to undertake such a large activity effectively and fairly
b) rebalancing and growth is much better handled by more local studies tackling local issues
c) the community has no stomach for such a large divisive activity
d) there is no over-riding need for a county wide study or even studies of the scale of the SLHS RD
e) the internet has changed everything - the SLHS RD showed that the political reality is that an activity of that size or larger can no longer be contained within the formal process. The arguments would be unacceptably divisive, consensus impossible to achieve and the process likely to become mired in court
f)the time and attention would be better spent on tackling known performance issues directly

The SB would be crazy to attempt an activity so widely opposed by the community unless there is an overriding need - and none has been shown

Posted by: Four seperate boundry studies coming ()
Date: April 03, 2009 11:52AM

targeted studies only Wrote:
> Do more studies Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > Why not do a complete boundry study of all
> schools
> > in the FCPS system so that more money could be
> > saved.
>
> Because
> a) the SLHS RD was so incompetently and
> politically handled that the community has no
> confidence in the SB's ability to undertake such a
> large activity effectively and fairly
> b) rebalancing and growth is much better handled
> by more local studies tackling local issues
> c) the community has no stomach for such a large
> divisive activity
> d) there is no over-riding need for a county wide
> study or even studies of the scale of the SLHS RD
> e) the internet has changed everything - the SLHS
> RD showed that the political reality is that an
> activity of that size or larger can no longer be
> contained within the formal process. The arguments
> would be unacceptably divisive, consensus
> impossible to achieve and the process likely to
> become mired in court
> f)the time and attention would be better spent on
> tackling known performance issues directly
>
> The SB would be crazy to attempt an activity so
> widely opposed by the community unless there is an
> overriding need - and none has been shown

FYI,The SB want to divide the county into four sections and do complete boundry studies in each one.

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: April 03, 2009 12:20PM

Listen you nitwit McMansion moms: we are sick and tired of your whiny diatribes about school redistrcting. A Fairfax County education at ANY OF THE SCHOOLS is much better then the best public and many private schools in the rest of the US.

Knowing the lot of you like I do, it's all about your bragging rights -- "Oh, Suzy goes to Langley" or "Johnny goes to Lake Braddock." Get over yourselves already, and put the considerable time you are wasting on this bullshit into spending time with your kids. Then you will be doing something that actually makes a difference in their lives.

Mrs. K

Date: April 03, 2009 12:28PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> Listen you nitwit McMansion moms: we are sick and
> tired of your whiny diatribes about school
> redistrcting. A Fairfax County education at ANY OF
> THE SCHOOLS is much better then the best public
> and many private schools in the rest of the US.
>
> Knowing the lot of you like I do, it's all about
> your bragging rights -- "Oh, Suzy goes to Langley"
> or "Johnny goes to Lake Braddock." Get over
> yourselves already, and put the considerable time
> you are wasting on this bullshit into spending
> time with your kids. Then you will be doing
> something that actually makes a difference in
> their lives.
>
> Mrs. K

Good God you're stupid.

I can only assume that you're jealous of someone for some reason - who knows who or why

Not everyone who thinks that large scale RD is a bad approach lives in a McMansion or goes to any particular school

Would you be one of the nitwits who accuse anyone who accuses anyone who questions RD as being racist/elitist/fat/ugly/whatever?

You clearly know nothing about the posters or their kids - or how much time they spend with them or doing what.

Date: April 03, 2009 12:34PM

Four seperate boundry studies coming Wrote:

> FYI,The SB want to divide the county into four
> sections and do complete boundary studies in each
> one.

Which is equally wasteful, unnecessary and arbitrary

Why 4, why not 5, why not 3, why not 6? which section borders make sense? On what criteria?

The selection of the sections would be arbitrary and political and hence subject to backroom dealing in advance and treated with immediate suspicion on announcement and probably legal action later

Similarly, county-wide is politically and operationally impractical

So, you're left with targeted studies as the most effective, cost effective and rationale approaches

Date: April 03, 2009 12:38PM

HAHAHAHA!

Yeah, that's me: stupid. I'm the one who volunteers in the public school reading to your kids, working in the clinic, going on field trips, working the snackbar for fundraising, etc. -- while you sit on your fat, lily-white ass, arguing over redistricting so you can brag about which school your kid goes to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 12:39PM by Mrs. K.

Date: April 03, 2009 12:46PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> HAHAHAHA!
>
> Yeah, that's me: stupid. I'm the one who
> volunteers in the public school reading to your
> kids, working in the clinic, going on field trips,
> working the snackbar for fundraising, etc. --
> while you sit on your fat, lily-white ass, arguing
> over redistricting so you can brag about which
> school your kid goes to.

Someone forgotten their meds?

You sound more like Keith Ledger's Joker than a rational advocate for educational reform. You certainly don't sound very safe around kids, Sounds like a very bad case of 'chip-on-shoulder'

I've never understood why some people think they should be able to demand where other peoples kids go rather than working to fix their own schools.

Posted by: Bull ()
Date: April 03, 2009 12:47PM

> Four seperate boundry studies coming Wrote:
> -----
>
> > FYI,The SB want to divide the county into four
> > sections and do complete boundary studies in
> each
> > one.
>
>
> Which is equally wasteful, unnecessary and
> arbitrary
>
> Why 4, why not 5, why not 3, why not 6? which
> section borders make sense? On what criteria?
>
> The selection of the sections would be arbitrary
> and political and hence subject to backroom
> dealing in advance and treated with immediate
> suspicion on announcement and probably legal
> action later
>
> Similarly, county-wide is politically and
> operationally impractical
>
> So, you're left with targeted studies as the most
> effective, cost effective and rationale approaches

Bull shit and more bull shit. Look who this SB has targeted, South Lakes and for what reason? How come SOCO has not been targeted and why?

Not for the good of the school system, but it is always money and politics.

Posted by: Bull ()
Date: April 03, 2009 12:53PM

> Mrs. K Wrote:
> -----
> > HAHAHAHA!
> >
> > Yeah, that's me: stupid. I'm the one who
> > volunteers in the public school reading to your
> > kids, working in the clinic, going on field
> trips,
> > working the snackbar for fundraising, etc. --
> > while you sit on your fat, lily-white ass,
> arguing
> > over redistricting so you can brag about which
> > school your kid goes to.
>
> Someone forgotten their meds?
>
> You sound more like Keith Ledger's Joker than a
> rational advocate for educational reform. You
> certainly don't sound very safe around kids,
> Sounds like a very bad case of 'chip-on-shoulder'
>
> I've never understood why some people think they
> should be able to demand where other peoples kids
> go rather than working to fix their own schools.

If you are right, then there should have been no RD for South Lakes and the parents should have fixed the school with ass hole Gibson.

Nobody wanted to go there because of high drop out rates, low scores and gangs/drugs. Have they fixed the problems yet? I think not.

Date: April 03, 2009 01:02PM

> Mrs. K Wrote:
> -----
> > HAHAHAHA!
> >
> > Yeah, that's me: stupid. I'm the one who
> > volunteers in the public school reading to your
> > kids, working in the clinic, going on field
> trips,
> > working the snackbar for fundraising, etc. --
> > while you sit on your fat, lily-white ass,
> arguing
> > over redistricting so you can brag about which
> > school your kid goes to.
>
> Someone forgotten their meds?
>
> rational advocate for educational reform. You
> certainly don't sound very safe around kids,
> Sounds like a very bad case of 'chip-on-shoulder'
>

And you sound just like the mother I called from the school clinic who was too busy with her tennis lesson to come pick up her barfing kid.

Date: April 03, 2009 01:09PM

Bull Wrote:

>
> If you are right, then there should have been no
> RD for South Lakes and the parents should have
> fixed the school with ass hole Gibson.
>
> Nobody wanted to go there because of high drop out
> rates, low scores and gangs/drugs. Have they fixed
> the problems yet? I think not.

Absolutely - there were good non-RD solutions including IB magnets which had widespread public support

The scale of the RD ensured that enough surrounding communities would gang up on the chosen redistributes in order to be left out themselves. You can argue whether this was by design or coincidence

Which is exactly what happened - especially in the case of the Herndon team who were quite explicit and open about their strategy of bus-throwing at the small group meetings.

Even if you argue that Westfield was too big and SL too small, the Oakton community was just swept up in someone-else's problem and the Madison island was treated appallingly for entirely political reasons so that the plan did not seem too asymmetric.

Any county-wide or even 1/4 county RD would be torn apart by similar but larger forces and behaviors.

Date: April 03, 2009 01:12PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> targeted studies only Wrote:
> -----
> > Mrs. K Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > HAHAHAHA!
> > >
> > > Yeah, that's me: stupid. I'm the one who
> > > volunteers in the public school reading to
> your
> > > kids, working in the clinic, going on field
> > trips,
> > > working the snackbar for fundraising, etc. --
> > > while you sit on your fat, lily-white ass,
> > arguing
> > > over redistricting so you can brag about
> which
> > > school your kid goes to.
> >
> > Someone forgotten their meds?
> >
> > You sound more like Keith Ledger's Joker than a
> > rational advocate for educational reform. You
> > certainly don't sound very safe around kids,
> > Sounds like a very bad case of
> 'chip-on-shoulder'
> >
>
>
> And you sound just like the mother I called from
> the school clinic who was too busy with her tennis
> lesson to come pick up her barfing kid.

sorry, not a mom, don't play tennis and have many years barf-wiping experience - grow-up

seriously - why do you think that RD and deciding, based on your own political biases, where other people kids should go is the answer to every problem?

Date: April 03, 2009 01:38PM

Hey, you can tell me to grow up all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that I am at the school day in and out for your kids, and you aren't -- because you're too busy whining about RD, playing tennis, or having lunch with the girls.

It's sad that you are too dumb to realize what is really important. The next time your kid thanks me for helping them at school,and tells me that they wish their mom could be there, I'll be thinking of you and everything you're missing out on.

Date: April 03, 2009 01:43PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
>

stop ranting, take your meds and answer the question...

"seriously - why do you think that RD and deciding, based on your own political biases, where other people kids should go is the answer to every problem?"

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: April 03, 2009 01:52PM

>
> Why 4, why not 5, why not 3, why not 6? which
> section borders make sense? On what criteria?
>
> The selection of the sections would be arbitrary
> and political and hence subject to backroom
> dealing in advance and treated with immediate
> suspicion on announcement and probably legal
> action later
>

The 4 align with County's planning areas. The claim is that it's a good way to get good long-term data since the planning areas haven't changed in 30 years.

http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/0/177f558c1dcb6c4087257563005adcdb/$FILE/CompPlan.pdf

But it's yet another way to slice things up to make sure no one can figure anything out -

County planning areas that have nothing to do with
HS boundaries that have nothing to do with
MS boundaries that have nothing to do with
ES boundaries,
Pyramids that aren't pyramids,
Clusters containing pyramids that aren't pyramids,
GT pyramids that have nothing to do with
HS/MS pyramids,
SB members by districts that have nothing to do with anything but politics.

Date: April 03, 2009 02:09PM

WestfieldDad Wrote:
> targeted studies only Wrote:
> -----
>
> >
> > Why 4, why not 5, why not 3, why not 6? which
> > section borders make sense? On what criteria?
> >
> > The selection of the sections would be
> arbitrary
> > and political and hence subject to backroom
> > dealing in advance and treated with immediate
> > suspicion on announcement and probably legal
> > action later
> >
>
> The 4 align with County's planning areas. The
> claim is that it's a good way to get good
> long-term data since the planning areas haven't
> changed in 30 years.
>
> http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/0/
> 177f558c1dcb6c4087257563005adcdb/$FILE/CompPlan.pd
> f
>
> But it's yet another way to slice things up to
> make sure no one can figure anything out -
>
> County planning areas that have nothing to do with
>
> HS boundaries that have nothing to do with
> MS boundaries that have nothing to do with
> ES boundaries,
> Pyramids that aren't pyramids,
> Clusters containing pyramids that aren't
> pyramids,
> GT pyramids that have nothing to do with
> HS/MS pyramids,
> SB members by districts that have nothing to do
> with anything but politics.

A very bizarre proposal - even worse that the last DOA proposal from staff

As I read it, each SB member would appoint a political crony to work with staff without public input and come up with potentially wide ranging recommendations.

They would sweep into a quadrant on a regular basis with no public oversight and recommend away.

No indications as to where this would fit with the public process or public input

Patronage posts and make-work for staff - opaque and ripe for backroom dealing

Posted by: Undercover plan ()
Date: April 03, 2009 02:24PM

> WestfieldDad Wrote:
> -----
> > targeted studies only Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
> > >
> > > Why 4, why not 5, why not 3, why not 6? which
> > > section borders make sense? On what criteria?
> > >
> > > The selection of the sections would be
> > arbitrary
> > > and political and hence subject to backroom
> > > dealing in advance and treated with immediate
> > > suspicion on announcement and probably legal
> > > action later
> > >
> >
> > The 4 align with County's planning areas. The
> > claim is that it's a good way to get good
> > long-term data since the planning areas haven't
> > changed in 30 years.
> >
> >
> http://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/fairfax/Board.nsf/0/
>
> >
> 177f558c1dcb6c4087257563005adcdb/$FILE/CompPlan.pd
>
> > f
> >
> > But it's yet another way to slice things up to
> > make sure no one can figure anything out -
> >
> > County planning areas that have nothing to do
> with
> >
> > HS boundaries that have nothing to do with
> > MS boundaries that have nothing to do with
> > ES boundaries,
> > Pyramids that aren't pyramids,
> > Clusters containing pyramids that aren't
> > pyramids,
> > GT pyramids that have nothing to do with
> > HS/MS pyramids,
> > SB members by districts that have nothing to do
> > with anything but politics.
>
> A very bizarre proposal - even worse that the last
> DOA proposal from staff
>
> As I read it, each SB member would appoint a
> political crony to work with staff without public
> input and come up with potentially wide ranging
> recommendations.
>
> They would sweep into a quadrant on a regular
> basis with no public oversight and recommend
> away.
>
> No indications as to where this would fit with the
> public process or public input
>
> Patronage posts and make-work for staff - opaque
> and ripe for backroom dealing

Now you know what is wrong with this F__king SB

Posted by: Mays ()
Date: April 03, 2009 02:42PM

Well, that didn't take long. Nothing like the whisper of a boundary study to bring out the very best in people.

Posted by: quantum ()
Date: April 03, 2009 03:01PM

Mrs. K - there may some validity to your points, although they are not expressed in a way the would persuade those that currently disagree with you. But the issue goes well beyond redistricting. Given population shifts and changes, and the fact that structures don't tend to organically expand or contract, redistricting is going to be inevitable from time to time. And one would think that most parents understand that.

What is relevant is the quality of education in the sounty. Is it on average good? Yes. But there is a perception that this is due to the considerable number of middle to upper class parents in the county, and not due to any special efforts on the part of the schools. I am not sure this is fair - there are certain schools in which the pursuit of excellence exists in pockets - and the schools do some things fairly well. But the perception - likely with some validity - is that the schools are not making the most of the county's resources and the bureaucracy is primarily interested in perpetuating itself. And its very poor performance with certain minority students only underscores this. It is a cause of not only embarrassment, but colors almost every decision the school board makes.

What caused issues with the South Lakes redistricting was that again there was a perception that it was important to grab a big chunk of middle to upper middle class students as a means to improve that school. Again, likely not entirely fair, because South Lakes undoubtedly was and is doing some good things. But the grab for "good" students seemed all too opportunistic and superficial - with a lack of focus on substantive improvement. So the complaints at their best are not in the nature of Johnny and Suzy need to go to this or that school, but rather with sincere frustration at the lack of regard for very competitive academic excellence, so vital to participating in a global economy.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: April 03, 2009 03:03PM

I don't know about the rest of it....but FCPS should GET RID of Fort Belvoir Elementary!

Those cheap fucking military parents don't pay any Fairfax County or Virginia taxes, they all claim Texas or Florida as their home of record (no State income tax).

Turn Ft Belvoir ES over to Uncle Sam and let him run it....he runs "American Schools" all over the world, he can damned well run one at Belvoir.

I can only imagine the bullshit a FCPS bus has to go through to get onto the base....give the Army the fucking place!

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: April 03, 2009 03:21PM

> rational advocate for educational reform.

Keith Ledger?
Attachments:
keith2.jpg

Posted by: martyrs unite ()
Date: April 03, 2009 05:17PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> Hey, you can tell me to grow up all day long, but
> that doesn't change the fact that I am at the
> school day in and out for your kids, and you
> aren't -- because you're too busy whining about
> RD, playing tennis, or having lunch with the
> girls.
>
> It's sad that you are too dumb to realize what is
> really important. The next time your kid thanks me
> for helping them at school,and tells me that they
> wish their mom could be there, I'll be thinking of
> you and everything you're missing out on.

It is nice that our martyr friend, Mrs. K is not getting paid for all of her hard work-we need more volunteers in our schools!!

What? Mrs. K is an FCPS paid employee? can't be. I was ready to erect a bronze statue of her in front of Gatehouse I.

Funny how, Mrs. K, who is oh so full of herself and overflowing with wisdom, assumes that all active parents are tennis moms. Mrs. K would be quite surprised if she knew all the folks in the growing Rebellion, wouldn't she?

Too bad FCPS ignores so many of our high poverty schools and does nothing to improve the education for these kids and their hard-working taxpaying parents. Maybe if FCPS did their job, these RD's would not be as contentious.

Date: April 03, 2009 05:41PM

I'm not a martyr. I volunteer to help your kids and mine because they need the support.

You are just pissed because I pointed out that you are too busy doing superficial and selfish things, rather than spending time with your in kids.

Man, am I tired of you whiners bitching here about RD. It's 2009: create a Face Book group already.

Date: April 03, 2009 08:43PM

Mrs. K Wrote:

> You are just pissed because I pointed out that you
> are too busy doing superficial and selfish things,
> rather than spending time with your in kids.
>

Yup - like working to earn the wages that pay the taxes that pay for the schools and coaching after-school and weekend activities

You appear to have no rational argument or suggestions just a generic chip-on-your-shoulder and an anger problem

If you have real ideas for improving the schools share them - otherwise stop ranting and let those of us who support excellence in education get on with it

You have a very distorted view of how the majority of people around here work (hard and long hours) and raise their kids (actively, intellectually engaged and in partnership with their schools) - which is why they object to their kids being treated like commodities to back fill failing schools and communities that don't put the work in.

Save your anger for those failing schools, their enablers and their apologists. Let the rest of us keep working on keeping our schools successful and getting our kids prepared for the real world of global competition - they're not your playthings

Posted by: yes ()
Date: April 03, 2009 08:45PM

South Lakes > Westfield

Date: April 03, 2009 09:43PM

martyrs unite Wrote:
> Mrs. K Wrote:
> -----
>
> Too bad FCPS ignores so many of our high poverty
> schools and does nothing to improve the education
> for these kids and their hard-working taxpaying
> parents. Maybe if FCPS did their job, these RD's
> would not be as contentious.

Its not about FCPS ignoring high poverty communities - just look at how much we spend on ESOL etc. Its about those communities realizing that they have to stand up and focus their kids on education. Many of us came from communities as poor as any in Fairfax now - but our parents realized the value of education and made sure we worked. Most middle class families in the county came from working class roots which is one reason why they have such a strong work and education ethic - and one of the reasons that the county is so sucessful.

At some point parents have to take responsibility and stop expecting everyone else to do everything for them.

We pay high taxes to make sure that everyone in FFX has an opportunity - but at some point people have to take responsibility for not taking that opportunity. Constant use of redistricting to smooth out socio-economic, linguistic or ethnic variations is not the solution - and the danger is that it gets used to hide the underlying problems.

If we need more funding, then we should be demanding more of our tax dollars back from Richmond.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: April 03, 2009 09:46PM

quantum Wrote:
> Mrs. K - there may some validity to your points,
> although they are not expressed in a way the would
> persuade those that currently disagree with you.
> But the issue goes well beyond redistricting.
> Given population shifts and changes, and the fact
> that structures don't tend to organically expand
> or contract, redistricting is going to be
> inevitable from time to time. And one would think
> that most parents understand that.
>

There was an article in the WaPo at least 5 years ago that MoCo had decided the way to address the general initial population bulge from new development was to build the base schools at what was believed to be the long term need and cover the difference with the high end modulars. Meant less capital cost and fewer redistrictings.

>
>
> What caused issues with the South Lakes
> redistricting was that again there was a
> perception that it was important to grab a big
> chunk of middle to upper middle class students as
> a means to improve that school. Again, likely not
> entirely fair, because South Lakes undoubtedly was
> and is doing some good things. But the grab for
> "good" students seemed all too opportunistic and
> superficial - with a lack of focus on substantive
> improvement.
>

The politics around the selection of the HSes brought to the party didn't exactly help matters. FCPS was simultaneously wasting money expanding Langley, Madison was/remains over capacity, and Westfield was/is clearly dropping well below capacity by Staff's own numbers.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 03, 2009 10:23PM

In stead of redistricting, why not jsut put mroe trailer classrooms at the overcrowded schools?

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: April 03, 2009 10:25PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> we are sick and
> tired of your whiny diatribes about school
> redistrcting.

+1

Date: April 03, 2009 10:35PM

Genevieve Wrote:
> Mrs. K Wrote:
> -----
> > we are sick and
> > tired of your whiny diatribes about school
> > redistrcting.
>
> +1

then don't read the thread

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 03, 2009 11:04PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
>>>> Man, am I tired of you whiners bitching here about
> RD. It's 2009: create a Face Book group already.

lol srsly, go Mrs K!!

Fuck off, you school board groupies!

Posted by: Margie ()
Date: April 03, 2009 11:49PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
>>>> Man, am I tired of you whiners bitching here about
> RD. It's 2009: create a Face Book group already.

+10...You go girl!

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: April 04, 2009 02:58AM

Quantum,
Might you be able to share with us where your brilliant offspring has chosen to attend school next year? I have little doubt that congratulations are in order.
Best wishes to the proud family.

Posted by: +50 ()
Date: April 04, 2009 05:41AM

> Genevieve Wrote:
> -----
> > Mrs. K Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > we are sick and
> > > tired of your whiny diatribes about school
> > > redistrcting.
> >
> > +1
>
> then don't read the thread

+ 50

Re: More boundary studies by FCPS
Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 04, 2009 04:51PM

Mrs. K., Alias has said you were a stay at home mom due to the fact that you had a child dying of an incurable disease. If this is this case, I am terribly sorry.
The fact that he hasn't pounced on this post to insert that correction tells me that this must be him or what he told me was a lie, very possible.

But if it is the case, it is a contradiction to what you describing here in this thread.

But not unusual based on my theory that Alias posts most of the posts in this site under anonposts and reg-known posters, such as 496, Meeper, WTL, Gravis, Mr. Mephisto, Angelus#, ferfux, Bob and so many others.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 04, 2009 05:07PM

spunky Wrote:
>>> my theory that Alias posts most of the posts in this site under anonposts and reg-known posters, such as 496, Meeper, WTL, Gravis, Mr. Mephisto, Angelus#, ferfux, Bob and so many others.

Date: April 04, 2009 09:48PM

It's amazing how quick people are to bring up to my son. I truly hope that you never have to consider how you will bury your child -- even if you are an asshole.

My son has a genetic syndrome which involves defects and other issues with his major organs, neurologic and immune systems, and it will kill him. He has lived longer than the doctors have expected; however he is terminal. I get to go to bed every night not knowing if he's going to be alive in the morning. Most of you will never understand how fucking hard that is, but there are a few of you who do.

When my son is ill and at home, seeing one of his umpteen doctors, or in the hospital, I am with him. When he's well, he goes to school because he still deserves to learn what he can, and have as much of a normal life as possible.

When I am able to get out of the house, I volunteer at the kids' schools because I think it's important to give back, and it's nice to do something normal for a change. Normal is something I bet you take forgranted; I sure as hell don't.

Mrs. K

Posted by: Spunky's son ()
Date: April 04, 2009 10:46PM

Mom, Spunky, will you ever learn to shut your mouth? How do you think my sister and I felt growing up having you for a mother? Did you ever stop to think why we had no friends? Did you know the kids in Rhode Island called you "The psycho lady" and then at Quantico you were "The crazy Bitch"? First you drove my father away and then me. Will you ever learn? The fact that I have pounced on this post should help you realize you need to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 04, 2009 11:09PM

Spunky's son Wrote:
> Mom, Spunky, will you ever learn to shut your
> mouth? How do you think my sister and I felt
> growing up having you for a mother? Did you ever
>
My kids had so many friends that they had a special
name they called me. We all had a great time.
You know nothing about my kids nor me. This post
is evidence of your ignorance.

stop to think why we had no friends? Did you know
> the kids in Rhode Island called you "The psycho
> lady" and then at Quantico you were "The crazy
> Bitch"? First you drove my father away and then

If you only knew...fool!

> me. Will you ever learn? The fact that I have
> pounced on this post should help you realize you
> need to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Using anonposts again Alias? Don't like it when the truth comes out
do you? Being selective about what you will allow to be posted?
What a joke!

Date: April 04, 2009 11:58PM

This post has disappeared

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2009 12:05AM by Margie.

Date: April 05, 2009 12:02AM

This post has disappeared.

Posted by: Question for Spunky ()
Date: April 05, 2009 12:03AM

When the wife of a marine stationed in Hawaii gives birth to a daughter, does that make the child hawaiian? While stationed in Okinawa I asked a psycho lady the same question.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: April 07, 2009 01:58AM

Mrs. K.

Spunky said that you express the recessive trait for Moebius Syndrome.
She said that you sleep with your eyes open, that you cannot smile, frown, move your eyes in a lateral direction, or control your blinking.

Posted by: anonymous73 ()
Date: April 07, 2009 11:05PM

tubby,

FCPS only operates Ft. Belvoir elementary, DOD actually built the school with their own money. Obviously there is tight security, it is a military base! Also, FCPS gets about 3 million a year from the feds to compensate from lost real estate revenue due to federal activities.

http://www.fcps.edu/news/impact.htm/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.