HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Please recommend the best computer for a fcps student
Posted by: Sidburgess ()
Date: November 23, 2014 11:09PM

I'd like to get my grand kids computers for Christmas. Currently they're sharing an old a Dell laptop. For those of you with kids in the fcps system, can you recommend an appropriate computer for student use?

Apple? PC? Laptop? Desktop?

Any specs that are a must?

Thanks in advance.

Does fcps issue laptops to highschool students? My grand kids are 11 and 13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Please recommend the best computer for a fcps student
Date: November 23, 2014 11:34PM

MacBook for personal uses ,but you'll still your family desktop if some docs don't transfer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 11:35PM by Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit.

Posted by: Gil Bates ()
Date: November 24, 2014 12:18AM

Just hold it upside down and shake it to reboot.

Attachments:
google_on_my_etch_a_sketch_by_pikajane-d3846dy.jpg

Posted by: GoTo MicroCenter in Vienna ()
Date: November 24, 2014 07:02AM

MicroCenter in Vienna has some very good deals at the moment. here is what I would buy the little ones http://www.microcenter.com/product/434545/X551MAV-MB01-B_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

If you think that is too heavy you could get them any of the 'Chrome Books' along with thumb drive for about the same price. Dont spend over 250 bucks - they dont need it. If they give you any bs about they want to 'game' on their laptops forget it. Any laptop able to actually do well at games will cost a minimum of 700 bucks each. Not necessary at all.

MicroCenter
3089 Nutley Street
Pan Am Plaza
Fairfax, VA 22031
(703) 204-8400
Mon - Wed 9 to 10, Thu 0 to -12, Fri 8 to 10, Sat 9 to 10, Sun 10 to 7

Posted by: above ()
Date: November 24, 2014 07:13AM

I have 11 and 13 yr olds in FFX Schools. no they do not issue laptops. At that age , no they do not need laptops. As I posted above basic laptop is all they would need if you wanted to get any. ChromeBooks essentially are made to browse and use Web Based Cloud applications. FCPS students use Google, Google Documents and Google Spreadsheets. My kids also use Microsoft Office for school.

You can get them Microsoft Office 365 FREE from the public schools here http://www.fcps.edu/it/technology/TechnologyHome.shtml MS Office details here http://fcps.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingDetails.aspx?o=250895c7-b5fb-e311-9400-b8ca3a5db7a1

IF you like Dell the school has Black Friday special through Dell, you can get a laptop for 190 bucks that will do the trick just fine herehttp://www.fcps.edu/it/technology/Dell%20Promotion/FCPS%20-%20Black%20Friday%20Promotion!.pdf

Posted by: Shawshank ()
Date: November 24, 2014 10:15AM

The Chromebook is a nice option, especially if FCPS is using Google Docs. A bit pricier than the Dell laptop for $190, but (personal opinion) you are buying into some potentially annoying headaches working with Microsoft Windows.

Battery life on the Chromebooks is incredible, they are light, and offer just about all of the functionality you would need.

Posted by: utNTX ()
Date: November 24, 2014 11:26AM

Sidburgess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to get my grand kids computers for
> Christmas. Currently they're sharing an old a Dell
> laptop. For those of you with kids in the fcps
> system, can you recommend an appropriate computer
> for student use?
>
> Apple? PC? Laptop? Desktop?
>
> Any specs that are a must?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Does fcps issue laptops to highschool students?
> My grand kids are 11 and 13.

Geesssee,

Get the Apple ideas out of your head and do not listen to any of the Apple fanboys.

The last thing 11/13 year old kids need is a over priced Apple that will limit them in the real world. Due to the slick marketing, all the kids want Apple. IT IS A BAD IDEA BOTH FINANCIALLY AND TECHNICALLY.

Yes the new Intel based Apple machines can run Windows, but at a BIG cost.

You walk into the Apple store, you will not walk out for under $1500 per machine, you can buy 3 decent Windows based laptops for this price.

FFX is now using Online Textbooks and having a Windows based computer that supports Flash and Java is essential. FFX current does not provide computers or tablets and they SHOULD NOT, but who knows what the idiots will decide in the future.

I would recommend Windows 7 laptop, you can still get these with an Intel I5 processor. You do not need an Intel I7 processor, too expensive and does not do much that the I5 will not. You just have to look carefully. MicroCenter in Merrifield is a good option, you can also search machine online as well via their website. Sometimes you can find deals at the Office Supply stores, Costco/BJ's or, Best Buy, but know what you are looking for.

I hate the 15.6" displays, prefer the 14" displays but they sometimes cost more than the 15.6" machines.

Have the kids get Microsoft Office 2010 Student/Teacher version if it is still available, usually it is a multi license copy of software. FFX used to give out licenses for FREE if you knew how to figure it out, but they changed this recently as Microsoft is moving to Office 365 and I think FFX may be moving to Office 365, but not sure what changed.

Here is what I will tell you, many of today's colleges and businesses only use Windows based machines. If you start a young kid out on Apple/Mac you handicap them. ALL the FCPS machines are Windows based, currently ALL Windows 7.

Your kids will rotate out of these machines before they go off to college, so not worth spending a BUNCH of cash now. Computers are good for 4 years at most before the technology improves, Operation Systems are updated or they get so infested with malware and trashware due to back user behavior. The Malware/Trashware can be addressed, but smart web surfing and no ready/click/aim helps.

I have friends that have kids going off to college and MANY of the colleges say if you have a Mac/Apple, get rid of it as many of their programs are not going to support/use them. Very true with most Business and Engineering schools.

In the "real" world, you walk into any large corporation or even small business 90+% of them will all be Windows based.

You can easily learn Mac/Apple if you need to later on or if you choose to move to this platform, however, it does not work so well the other way around.

$500 is tops I would spend on any laptop or even a desktop with a decent monitor.

I only pay $300 for the desktops I have been deploying for the past few years and these are only the G2020 processors and they are better/faster the the Intel I3's.

Stay away from Toshiba and Sony machines if Sony still makes them. Look for HP, Asus or Dell machines.

For a printing YOU WANT a Brother HL-2270DW, $99 if you find them on sale, they do what they are supposed to do and just work. I do also like HP printers, but HP cannot touch this Brother HL-2270DW for the price, reliability and features.

Posted by: golden arches ()
Date: November 24, 2014 11:33AM

Get them this one. That way they will have a leg up on their co-workers on the first day of work.

4101yJC5TRL.jpg

Posted by: anet ()
Date: November 24, 2014 12:53PM

Dell makes a very light (3 lb) Inspiron laptop that fits easily into a backpack. 11 inch screen. My son uses it for homework, but mostly for games.

Posted by: Ludwig ()
Date: November 24, 2014 01:05PM

Posted by: Denis ()
Date: November 05, 2019 10:58AM

Hard question, it all depends from your own needs only can decide. The best way to choose laptop for studying is to make a small research about parts of laptop and find the model which corresponds your needs. For example I knew that pentium would be too weak for me. You should read this useful article about laptops for studying. Maybe you will find the model you are searching.

Posted by: Kgdf ()
Date: November 05, 2019 11:02AM

Bang for the buck, Lenovo Yoga. End of thread.

Posted by: SylviaBAlmaraz ()
Date: December 30, 2021 03:31AM

Hello, I am a college student. I was also facing the same problem in selecting the best computer. But thanks to my friend for helping me out. You can look at this website https://www.get-itsolutions.com/best-computer-for-accounting/ if you want to buy the best computer for accounting. I am sure it will help you in choosing the best computer. Because I have also bought the best computer by reading an article on that website.

Posted by: ridndwv ()
Date: December 30, 2021 04:34AM

the county will issue laptops to students.. of course, the access these students have to the infinite web is limited because they re county property.. unless you are trying to set a precedent of purchasing an outrageously overpriced item (macbooks) for your grandkids, i suggest a anything but..
as long as they have access to blackboard and their school s online program they will be just fine...
young tweens don t need all the bells and whistles..
they need internet access to their school s platform.. many schools use gmail accounts for communication with students..
i think keeping it as simple yet efficient as possible is best..
setting these high expectations for adolescents years to come (my 14yr old daughter wants a macbook solely because it matches her iphone--hell no!!) is not gonna help them when it s completely unnecessary..

Posted by: FCPS is an asshole factory ()
Date: December 30, 2021 12:13PM

Go to Rite Aid and get them some notebook paper and crayons. That’s all they need for FCPS because the teachers are all assholes. At least they can draw pictures to fill up their days. The FCPS employees cannot teach a cat to shit in its litter box. Look into homeschool programs and workbooks or tutoring if you want them to actually learn anything. FCPS is a shitty babysitting service and they smile and nod a lot or fall asleep in parent teacher conferences where they tell you your child is doing well when he cannot read or write his own name.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.