HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Stratford Landing
Posted by: Retired Thank God ()
Date: November 16, 2014 08:07PM

Welcome to the Stratford Landing Elementary School website. We are pleased you have stopped by to learn about the wonderful things that happen at our school. As you will see, we are a community that embraces a strong partnership of staff, parents, and students.

Stratford Landing prides itself on high academic goals for all students. The staff is caring, dedicated, and energetic, working collaboratively to meet the needs of all children. We are committed to providing a quality education for every child in a setting appropriate to individual needs. Each child is accepted as an individual and is challenged to be independent thinkers, problem solvers, and caring, contributing citizens taking an active responsibility in their learning. With the commitment of staff, students, and parents to work together, our students have safe, optimum learning experiences.

We hope you enjoy visiting our website. If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions about this site, please let us know. Welcome to Stratford Landing Elementary School.

So read the above and see if you can find the grammatical error. Each child is challenged to be independent thinkers? How about "an independent thinker, problem solver and caring, contributing citizen." SINGULAR.

I retired from this school just in time. The new principal is no better than the old bully that was the principal. The new principal posted a Back to School Powerpoint on Youtube that is full of errors, too. The woman does not know how to write. For example, on the Youtube video, the slide says, "This is a voiced over Power Point, for those parents interested in hearing more about our changes." Powerpoint is usually written in one word. There is no need for a comma after the word "Point".

At minute 14:48 on the Youtube video it says, "Recess Circles will continue all year, they ask the students to reflect on recess" etc. Besides the fact that the whole idea of making kids stand in a circle after recess is silly, the sentence should not have a comma. It is a run-on. It should be two sentences. How can a circle ask anything? I have never met a circle that could speak.

At 19:00 on the video, it says, in regards to staffing changes, that "this results in a teachers loss here at SL." What does that mean? Where is the apostrophe to show ownership? Or was a teacher actually lost on the property? Or was a teacher position lost, resulting in larger classes? Then why are there two instructional coaches? How about reducing class size by getting rid of the coaches and hiring classroom teachers? Some classes have 28 or 29 students.

At 22:51 it says, in regards to lunch, that students were sitting by themselves everyday. Every day is written with TWO words.

How can someone with a doctorate write like this? How can someone who writes like this get hired to be a principal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stratford Landing
Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: November 16, 2014 08:58PM

Why don't you know the f***ing difference between 'that' and 'who'? You dunce.

Posted by: CompSci PhD ()
Date: November 16, 2014 09:51PM

Retired Thank God Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> How can someone with a doctorate write like this?
> How can someone who writes like this get hired to
> be a principal?

Because her doctorate is in Education, which is tantamount to an 8th grade certificate of completion. At least they generally have the decency to award themselves EdDs, so as not to be confused with actual terminal degrees.

Posted by: SLES Parent ()
Date: November 18, 2014 07:20PM

Well, we had a parent meeting about the changes at SLES this year, and afterwards, the principal wrote in a staff email that there had been Jerry Springer-like moments. Guess she didn't like people protesting her changes. Guess she could be more respectful towards parents. Whenever she sends something she wrote home, it is full of run-on sentences.

Posted by: Miguel del Ambrosio y Igular ()
Date: November 18, 2014 07:27PM

Where's the hispanic version?

Posted by: New to SL ()
Date: January 23, 2015 09:28PM

The school hasn't posted a parent newsletter since November. The pictures on the school website are from August. Many of the links on the website don't work. Not a very professional profile of my kids' new school.

Posted by: back when ()
Date: January 23, 2015 10:08PM

Interesting...

"Back in the day", 70's and early 80's, that area was one of the best for public schools, including Fort Hunt High...

Tons of Ivy Leaguers, and as I remember, more West Pointers came from that area than any other in the country...

Athletics were top notch, too

Posted by: Another SLES Parent ()
Date: January 23, 2015 10:24PM

New to SL Wrote:
> The school hasn't posted a parent newsletter since
> November. The pictures on the school website are
> from August. Many of the links on the website
> don't work. Not a very professional profile of my
> kids' new school.

Not sure why the newsletters aren't posted online, but they send out updates via email.

Posted by: Another SLES Parent ()
Date: January 23, 2015 10:26PM

back when Wrote:
> Interesting...
>
> "Back in the day", 70's and early 80's, that area
> was one of the best for public schools, including
> Fort Hunt High...
>
> Tons of Ivy Leaguers, and as I remember, more West
> Pointers came from that area than any other in the
> country...
>
> Athletics were top notch, too

I have no way of evaluating the school in the 70s and 80s but my kid's experience there has been positive. Though my kid is in AAP and is actually being challenged and learning, versus the experience from our original school.

Posted by: ArmyDad ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:48PM

New Parent Newsletter

Last month we hosted parents and shared in detail, our math and writing curriculum. It was a great evening with many participants sharing how much they learned about our daily work here Stratford Landing. If you missed it, please view the materials here. If you have any questions, please let Mrs. Shannon know.

On Friday, February 13, trained therapy dogs visited Stratford Landing students as part of the Read to the Dogs Program. Ms. Baker’s first grade students were the first this year to visit with the dogs. Our students loved getting to share stories and pet their new friends.
First grader Annalie shared that her dog, “licked my face while I read! The dog liked the book I read too.” Classmates Addison and Frank agreed, saying that they loved reading to the dogs and getting some puppy kisses at the same time. The students also noticed the difference between reading a book to a person and to a dog. Carter shared that, aside from the fact that the dogs, “had a tail”, his therapy dog also, “listened to me when I was reading and humans don’t always listen when I read.”
Founded in 1976, Therapy Dogs International organizes several programs using therapy dogs, including the Read to the Dogs Program. Reading to a dog has shown not only to improve a student’s reading abilities, but also boost their self-esteem and love of reading. Several students commented that reading to a dog was “easier” and that they felt comfortable reading alongside a calm and tolerant friend.
The Read to the Dogs program will continue on Friday afternoons throughout the remainder of the 2014-2015 school year. We hope that your students enjoy this great opportunity!

They did post a new Parent Newsletter dated March/April. The last one was from November. They still can't use commas correctly, and overuse the word "share". The pictures that come up on the photo button on the website appear to be from 2012 and many of the buttons don't work at all.

We have orders to be transferred at the end of this year, thankfully.

Posted by: Splash ()
Date: March 23, 2015 10:34AM

It could be a whole lot worse brother.

Posted by: style ()
Date: March 23, 2015 11:15AM

Web should be capitalized. Personally I prefer two words, Web site, but Website would be preferable to website. The second sentence of the second paragraph uses staff as singular, yet the following sentence begins with the plural pronoun, we.

Posted by: MEx6y ()
Date: March 23, 2015 11:25AM

back when Wrote:
> Interesting...
>
> "Back in the day", 70's and early 80's, that area
> was one of the best for public schools, including
> Fort Hunt High...
>
> Tons of Ivy Leaguers, and as I remember, more West
> Pointers came from that area than any other in the
> country...
>
> Athletics were top notch, too

back in my day the school didn't hire 3 secretaries for an elementary school and a lady spic as a "school grounds job boss" and they didn't waste postage by sending out frivolous letters either

obvioulsy they need 3 secretaries at an elementary: because someone is fucking them - someone who'd quickly trade a large tax debt for a fuck

Posted by: Woof! ()
Date: March 23, 2015 11:45AM

Sounds like the reading program has gone to the dogs.

Posted by: OnMyWayOut ()
Date: June 03, 2015 08:55PM

Each day is a real treat to work at SLES. Students from every grade level routinely walk or run out of class and do whatever they want. There are no consequences allowed, so the students are running wild. Even the janitor was heard to say that the school is out of control.

So far 12 teachers have solid plans to transfer, and others are looking.

There is a "new" parent newsletter up on the school website, dated March/April, although this is now June. Nobody must ever look at the website from the office.

You can look at the Twitter feed, which has pictures of kids over and over, without specific parent consent having been given for those photos. I would be uncomfortable with my child's picture going up online without any control of where it goes from there.

Posted by: A. Parent ()
Date: June 03, 2015 09:42PM

^^^^

I've not witnessed any of that.

Posted by: AWeekMore ()
Date: June 13, 2015 03:53PM

On Monday afternoon, the staff will gather to say goodbye to the 18 plus staff members that are leaving the school....

Posted by: NavyVA5 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:36PM

These are your BIGGEST issues--recess circles and run on sentences? Maybe you can offer to proofread or be the webmaster, I am sure they would jump at your expertise!!! Do you even volunteer? Likely NOT. If you don't want your kid in a Twitter feed, sign the paper that opts them out. I really enjoy seeing what is happening in the classrooms.

Posted by: Troll Police ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:56PM

This is starting to sound like a hate thread from some parent whose kid was too dumb to get into Level IV AAP.

Posted by: understand ()
Date: June 24, 2015 08:21AM

"These are your BIGGEST issues--recess circles and run on sentences? "

These kinds of complaints are usually indicative of larger issues that are much harder to articulate from the outside (parents). The fact that so many teachers are leaving is the bigger indicator of more serious problems. Those teachers are not going to fully articulate the problems because they are still in the system and need to be able to transfer out.

Posted by: can only walk, not talk ()
Date: June 24, 2015 08:22AM

Also, teachers have very little power in this system. Like none.

Pay?
Posted by: TriMom ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:52PM

Maybe if FCPS paid better teachers wouldn't have to move out of the county or state to afford a house. Look at the whole county, teachers are leaving in droves to Arlington, Loudoun, PW and Stafford. Way bigger issues. They are the BOTTOM of the pay scale. Do your research.

Re: Pay?
Posted by: RGNeighbor264 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 11:09PM

Let's cut to the chase, our neighborhood likes to tell everyone what to do, teachers, principals, even when I volunteer there is always a complainer in our school of what, 1000 kids, 2000 parents?! Shut up or become a teacher or administrator. Can't imagine putting up with all the whiners among us. God bless everyone across the street! If you want to push people around, go to a private school. 5 disgruntled parents--stop making the other 99% of us look crazy like you.

Posted by: TriMom ()
Date: June 25, 2015 11:24PM

Just re read the list of those leaving (not to mention those who moved midyear) SOME will NOT be missed in the classroom. Let's see moving to England, NY, PA, different position, out of county, and closer to home. No one is moving even remotely close to our school to work for FCPS. Failing to see larger issues other than pay and gas prices.

Posted by: Boss Momma ()
Date: June 25, 2015 11:41PM

Mom Mobs.
Parents want to rule this school. That phony fundraising scheme....Boosterthon.

Arrogant entitled kids.

Parents that are used to having their way. Kids out of control

Posted by: Thereinthetrenches ()
Date: June 28, 2015 11:34AM

There are a lot of kids out of control because there are no consequences for anything. The principal told the teachers in writing that it was against the SR&R to send kids to the office for infractions. This is not true, as the SR&R says a graduated system of discipline is needed.

The kids walk out of class and there are no consequences. The discipline plan is based on telling the kids that they agreed on the class rules at the start of the year and reminding them to follow them, but the teachers are not allowed to call the kids by name in class.

So if one kid is rolling on the floor making faces, the teacher is supposed to say, "Everyone should remember that we pay attention in class," until that kid gets the message and gets up. Like that is effective. It would be much more effective to say, "Johnny, get up right now!" If there is an adminstrator in the room, the teacher will be chastised for using the kid's name and embarrassing him.

There are no consequences for not doing homework, so if a parent doesn't care, the kids don't.

There are kids who have significant emotional needs, but if they are not actually throwing furniture, the administration won't recommend another placement where they can get emotional and behavioral support. They think that if the kid isn't out of control aggressive, they don't qualify for an ED Center, which is not at all true. Kids that are one on one with an adult for most of the day are not getting an appropriate education in the least restrictive environment.

There are many kids that are working hard and doing well, but more could be successful if there were a good understanding of how to best support kids who struggle in school.

On top of this, you would be shocked to see how much class time is spent in morning meetings and teaching math with games, while science and social studies have only a couple of hours per week. Math games are part of instruction, to build facility with numbers and concepts, but if you can't reduce fractions with paper and pencil you are going to have trouble.

Posted by: DolphinReader ()
Date: July 04, 2015 10:30PM

They have a nice summerprogram to get books to the kids that was outlined in the parent newsletter. Too bad they don't realize that the vehicle described is a bookmobile, not a book mobile. I don't understand why they don't proofread before they send something out.

They said: We have widely followed school and teacher Twitter accounts.
They don't say which ones they have followed. Or perhaps they mean others followed theirs?

They said: iPads for learning purposes were introduced to staff through and initial Pilot Team of teachers and rolled out in learning stations to students. Again, proofread! It's "an initial pilot team." Don't capitalize Pilot Team, and put "an" instead of "and". The kids spend way too much time on screens as it is, but that's a topic for another time.

They said: We reflected and revised Word Study to support students and hold students accountable for writing across curriculums.

I think they probably reflected UPON and revised Word Study and HELD students accountable for writing across THE CURRICULUM. There is one curriculum per grade level. Don't change verb tense in the middle of the sentence.

Posted by: RC teacher ()
Date: July 05, 2015 08:28AM

Thereinthetrenches Wrote:
> There are a lot of kids out of control because
> there are no consequences for anything. The
> principal told the teachers in writing that it was
> against the SR&R to send kids to the office for
> infractions. This is not true, as the SR&R says a
> graduated system of discipline is needed.
>
> The kids walk out of class and there are no
> consequences. The discipline plan is based on
> telling the kids that they agreed on the class
> rules at the start of the year and reminding them
> to follow them, but the teachers are not allowed
> to call the kids by name in class.
>
> So if one kid is rolling on the floor making
> faces, the teacher is supposed to say, "Everyone
> should remember that we pay attention in class,"
> until that kid gets the message and gets up. Like
> that is effective. It would be much more effective
> to say, "Johnny, get up right now!" If there is an
> adminstrator in the room, the teacher will be
> chastised for using the kid's name and
> embarrassing him.
>
> There are no consequences for not doing homework,
> so if a parent doesn't care, the kids don't.
>
> There are kids who have significant emotional
> needs, but if they are not actually throwing
> furniture, the administration won't recommend
> another placement where they can get emotional and
> behavioral support. They think that if the kid
> isn't out of control aggressive, they don't
> qualify for an ED Center, which is not at all
> true. Kids that are one on one with an adult for
> most of the day are not getting an appropriate
> education in the least restrictive environment.
>
> There are many kids that are working hard and
> doing well, but more could be successful if there
> were a good understanding of how to best support
> kids who struggle in school.
>
> On top of this, you would be shocked to see how
> much class time is spent in morning meetings and
> teaching math with games, while science and social
> studies have only a couple of hours per week. Math
> games are part of instruction, to build facility
> with numbers and concepts, but if you can't reduce
> fractions with paper and pencil you are going to
> have trouble.

It sounds like you are in the first year of implementing Responsive Classroom. Yes it's tough at first, because you need total school buy-in (sounds like you're not a believer yet), but each year it gets better because the students will have grown up through the grades with RC (of course, if you teach upper grades, this takes longer for you). However, you will eventually be amazed at how well students will excel in everything - because they have a good base of social skills that honestly, they often don't learn at home. Hang in there, it'll get better.

Posted by: Flip Flippen to the RESCUE ()
Date: July 05, 2015 09:01AM

Menville "Flip" Flippen, where are you? You did such a great job at MVHS, PLEASE come and save SLES. Capture those hearts so we'll have the heads! Your intensive training as a psychotherapist is showing its worth, as are the years of experience in those psychiatric hospitals! If there were more space, your results with the Fortune 500 could be discussed as well!

Posted by: yFeFJ ()
Date: July 07, 2015 06:43PM

There's a lot of bat-shit crazy going on in here.

Posted by: Busy DP ()
Date: July 22, 2015 12:32AM

Dolphin Reader,
You have talent. Have you offered to be a first, second, third set of eyes for the web page or anything else that goes out? I am sure the school would jump at an expert like you to help. As a busy parent I am not bothered by editing issues but if I had your skill, I would offer my services rather than complain. Hope you can be a part of the MAJORITY of doers at SL. Thanks! -Your neighbor

Posted by: Another Parent ()
Date: August 14, 2015 09:26PM

When not busy at school, Mrs. Prahl enjoys time with her family. Her husband, Dave, is an 8th grade Health and P.E. teacher at South County Middle School. They have 3 children, Abby is 7 and starting 2nd grade, Jake is 6 and starting 1st grade, and Noah is 2. The Prahl's love to swim all year and visit grandparents whenever they can! Please join me in welcoming Mrs. Prahl to our administrative team at Stratford Landing.

Sincerely,

Maureen Marshall, Ed.D.

Principal

I am looking at the letter posted by the principal and I am also amazed that a principal would make such errors in writing something that was going to be published. A teacher that did that would be written up. The above should have a period after the part where it says they have 3 children. Prahls is plural, and does not need an apostrophe. If the principal feels like it is okay to put something up for the community to read with errors in it, there is something wrong. I just looked at the SOL scores and was upset to see the drop in math. My daughter loved playing math games at school, but did not seem to learn much about how to do math with a paper and pencil. Thankfully, she passed.

Posted by: Don't Get It ()
Date: September 16, 2015 06:59PM

There is a big emphasis on having the kids at the school use the computer program IXL Math, but it is clearly listed as "NOT APPROVED" on the FCPS database for staff. So why are they having the kids use it and insisting that the teachers assign it when it is clearly not approved???

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.