HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
15 APs, 4 dually enrolled, 800's on SATs, no TJ acceptance
Posted by: Does TJ matter? ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 15 APs, 4 dually enrolled, 800's on SATs, no TJ acceptance
Posted by: Yes it is bullshit ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:30PM

I was curious to see who are all the famous Nobel prize winners or major scientists from TJ and well, the only source I could find was wikipedia. It seems that there really aren't any people who are all that impressive. Nothing major in terms of science... some IT guys who aren't household names and... a lot of writers and Broadway actors. Ok... Broadway is great but is that what the Math and Science center, a virtual private school for the lucky few who go there supposed to produce?

Posted by: Here is the problem.. ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:34PM

Well... the kid's problem is that he is the wrong color for "expressing his creative passion for math and science." Some beaner could shit in a KFC bucket, present that as his TJ project and the liberals who run the place would swoon over it... See there is a scarcity of beaners in the joint and that is the liberals new favorite group... So a run of the mill poor white kid with a near perfect score on the SAT... yawn...

Posted by: Hahhahaha! ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:36PM

Listen to 'em whine!

Posted by: Jackie Chiles ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:37PM

It's because he's white.

And gay.

ed-jaycol1110.JPG?uuid=iWmbRGbbEeSf3NQ7B

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous.

Call me son!

Posted by: Lies, more lies, and statistics ()
Date: November 11, 2014 12:18AM

John Torre, a spokesman for the Fairfax County school system, said wealth plays no role whatsoever: “Socio-economic status has no bearing on a student’s ability to gain access to TJ or any of our other programs,” Torre said.

Still ignoring the Asian cram classes for TJ admissions.

Sigh.

Posted by: givetwohoots ()
Date: November 11, 2014 06:56AM

most people could give a hoot whom gets into that school what a silly thing to waste an article on . Sometimes you do not get picked get over it. It would be nice to have a problem like his If he is as great as the article claims his life will not be determined about four years in HS .

Posted by: what it is ()
Date: November 11, 2014 07:02AM

True. "Status" schools can help many above average people to get the credential they need to move ahead and get a "better" spot. But, those who don't need those schools, well, they don't need them. The real geniuses and self-made among us will have a spot no matter what school they go to . . . so for them it really makes no difference.

However, one would think that a place like TJ should be for students who really don't "fit" into the regular high school. The truth is something different. And it has really become something quite different as the years go on.

Posted by: XGPNb ()
Date: November 12, 2014 10:49AM

White and poor does nothing for the demographics FCPS reports, so they could care less. Same stats and he's black or hispanic, they roll out the red carpet. At my kids' ES, they literally forced all black kids (not many) into Level IV AAP. It did not work out well for most, but the spot was there for the asking.

Posted by: The Agree-er ()
Date: November 12, 2014 12:04PM

XGPNb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> White and poor does nothing for the demographics
> FCPS reports, so they could care less. Same stats
> and he's black or hispanic, they roll out the red
> carpet.

^^^ This.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: November 12, 2014 12:26PM

TJ tells you what the criteria are that they will consider. If you choose not to meet one or more of those criteria, or if you choose to be ignorant of the criteria, it's on you and your kids. I don't care how smart you are.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: November 12, 2014 09:08PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> TJ tells you what the criteria are that they will
> consider. If you choose not to meet one or more
> of those criteria, or if you choose to be ignorant
> of the criteria, it's on you and your kids. I
> don't care how smart you are.

The real question should be just why anyone ever let TJ Admissions come up with such useless criteria. TJ is supposed to be the Governor's HS for Science and Technology in Northern Virginia, but they've let their admissions staff admit a significant percent of applicants who imply can't do the math/science that's taught there and have no real interest in math/science.

Posted by: asisanworkey ()
Date: November 13, 2014 07:36AM

So I have 6th and 7th graders and we will go to TJ this weekend to check out the open house. Both my kids are AAP both get straight A's (4's in 6th) both test in the 98th percentile. Thing is my kids do it without tutoring and in fact without doing anything 'extra' in terms of homework or studying. On average I would say neither does more than 6 hours homework a week. They are great kids.

Enter TJ. I would allow them to go if they are really interested in the material taught there. But - if they were to go they would be in a population where only a small percentage of the students were like them. I am speculating that with 68% Asian students (3X their distribution in the community) most of the kids in TJ have been tutored, and made to do homework 10 hours a week with tutoring 12 months a year every year of their lives.

Who wants to join in on that culture? I do appreciate that its all hard work and everything but TJ has become an Asian school built around the Asian community. Its not a place I want my kids to be unless they are hungry for the knowledge and work. Its not filled with smart kids as much as its filled with little adults that work 60 hrs. a week year round on their school. My daughter in AAP already complains that at lunch most of the girls are speaking in Korean or Vietnamese.

This may all sound racist and maybe in some way it is but I assure you the cultural takeover of TJ is entirely pre-meditated and based on culture/race.

Posted by: JcFMy ()
Date: November 13, 2014 08:47AM

TJ ain't everything it is cracked up to be!!

I know for a fact that there are issues there and many of the kids do not feel comfortable there and TJ does not always guarantee the best colleges or the best high school experience.

Also if you ever form any "real" friendships, with kids scattered all over the area it makes it very hard fro the kids to get together outside of school. Also what about the commute? Adults do not want to deal with their daily commute, why would you subject your kids to this??

Also when you walk in the school and see a poster the kids made with the following question "Failed The SAT?". Meaning if you did not get a perfect SAT score, you failed. You cannot fail the SAT assuming you put your name on the test form, you just may have a very low score!

I know the following:

Twins, one when to their local high school and one went to TJ. The reason the one choose TJ is they did not think they would make a sports team at the local high school. The TJ student went to a good public in state school, the other that did not go to TJ when to Stanford.

Parents moved to Vienna after their kid went to TJ and then started Crew. The Commute to both school and where Crew was to totally unreasonable, so they tried to move 1/2 between school and crew practice.

Once you are into TJ, they do everything they can to crutch you along as they do not want anyone to make the TJ program look bad.

Heaven forbid any one student outshine other students at TJ, they all have to be on the same plane.

One student as after their Junior year dropped out of TJ. They were not happy with the overall program, the way they were treated and did not offer enough challenging material for them. Where did they go after they dropped out their Junior year? MIT without ever graduating from High School!

Posted by: Pham Phan ()
Date: November 13, 2014 10:20AM

asisanworkey Wrote:
> So I have 6th and 7th graders and we will go to TJ
> this weekend to check out the open house. Both my
> kids are AAP both get straight A's (4's in 6th)
> both test in the 98th percentile. Thing is my
> kids do it without tutoring and in fact without
> doing anything 'extra' in terms of homework or
> studying. On average I would say neither does
> more than 6 hours homework a week. They are great
> kids.
>
> Enter TJ. I would allow them to go if they are
> really interested in the material taught there.
> But - if they were to go they would be in a
> population where only a small percentage of the
> students were like them. I am speculating that
> with 68% Asian students (3X their distribution in
> the community) most of the kids in TJ have been
> tutored, and made to do homework 10 hours a week
> with tutoring 12 months a year every year of their
> lives.
>
> Who wants to join in on that culture? I do
> appreciate that its all hard work and everything
> but TJ has become an Asian school built around the
> Asian community. Its not a place I want my kids
> to be unless they are hungry for the knowledge and
> work. Its not filled with smart kids as much as
> its filled with little adults that work 60 hrs. a
> week year round on their school. My daughter in
> AAP already complains that at lunch most of the
> girls are speaking in Korean or Vietnamese.
>
> This may all sound racist and maybe in some way it
> is but I assure you the cultural takeover of TJ is
> entirely pre-meditated and based on culture/race.

"My daughter in AAP already complains that at lunch most of the girls are speaking in Korean or Vietnamese."

Then she's sitting at the wrong table. Just go to any other table in the school and she can hear Spanish all day long.

Posted by: y3Dd7 ()
Date: November 13, 2014 06:11PM

Pham Phan Wrote:
>
> Then she's sitting at the wrong table. Just go to
> any other table in the school and she can hear
> Spanish all day long.

Not true at our school - we are only 9% hispanic and I do not believe there are any hispanics in her AAP class. There are ~53% White, ~28% Asian ~5% Black and ~5% 2 or more races. Id be willing to bet AAP lvl IV is 50% or more Asian.

So she listens to Vietnamese or Korean at lunch. Maybe I should have started her out in Vietnamese immersion instead of Spanish immersion...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.