HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
skyway market on richmond hwy [hybla valley]
Posted by: kelly marrs ()
Date: October 31, 2014 11:00AM

my grandmothers in the 60,s
Attachments:
skyway market 1 001.jpg
skyway market 2 001.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: skyway market on richmond hwy [hybla valley]
Posted by: good for her! | its nigs galore ()
Date: October 31, 2014 11:01AM

She would roll over in her grave if she knew what Hybla Valley was like today.

Posted by: FORMER MV'ER ()
Date: October 31, 2014 11:07AM

Hey Kelly, I knew a Kristina Marrs in Mount Vernon HS. Any relationship?

Posted by: bingo ()
Date: October 31, 2014 12:19PM

Where on Richmond Highway was Skyway Market?

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: October 31, 2014 12:21PM

The cars in Hybla Valley were just as hooptie then as now.

Posted by: Hooptie ()
Date: October 31, 2014 03:06PM

bingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where on Richmond Highway was Skyway Market?

Same here, where was it located?

And love how that black car has suicide doors. Wish they'd bring them back.

Posted by: Boswell Guy ()
Date: November 01, 2014 08:20PM

Thanks for the post, Kelly. Brings back some memories. I used to buy soda pop there as a kid, and we'd comb the ditches for bottles to bring in for the 2-cent deposit return. I remember you'd go in, facing the checkout counter, and if you turned right, there was a step down to the soda cooler -- there were some toys up on the top shelf there. I have this really strong memory of some kind of a toy race car in a nice display box up on a shelf at that step that I longed for, would go in and pine for it. Funny the stuff you remember. I didn't know it was a Marrs-owned store... no doubt from the Marrs family that lived around the corner down the block. They were cool, recalling they would sell firecrackers "under the radar" around the Fourth.

To Hooptie and bingo --
Skyway Market was located on Route One near the intersection with Boswell Avenue where the Walgreens and Hybla Valley Veterinary Bospital currently are located (uses inbetween included a gas station and in more recent history, Dunkin Donuts). It had some big competition in it's day at the next intersection down, Rangers Market. That was also on Route One, at Woodlawn Trail, now the site of a Firestone Store. Amazing how those little mom-and-pop neighborhood stores flourished along the highway in the 50s, sort of the 7-Elevens of their day. In fact, now I recall there was a 7-Eleven in that block in later years too.

Posted by: Hooptie ()
Date: November 01, 2014 08:43PM

@Boswell Guy

Thanks. I go by there quite frequently (even go to that Walgreens sometimes), and I remember the Dunkin Donuts. Interesting to know what was there before.

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: November 01, 2014 09:01PM

The building on the left, was that a boarding house of some kind? I remember some sort of flophouse there in the mid 80's

Posted by: Boswell Guy ()
Date: November 05, 2014 10:12AM

NS 13,

I bet you're recalling Belle Haven Lodge, which was a low-rent, often long-stay motel nearby, in the next block south, far outliving the other use there that only survived until about the 1970s, Bills Used Cars ("For a real deal, see Bill"). Both the lodge and the used car lot were all part of the property owned by Marx Realty in New York. Belle Haven Lodge actually survived until very recent history, up until an asbestos removal project, then sold to a developer for Fordson Place Shopping Center, which had its grand opening recently. So I'm betting the "flophouse" you're remembering is now the little center with a Peet's Coffee and Tea, Hair Cuttery, Verizon Center and others between Boswell Avenue and Fordson Road.

Anybody remember the competitor used car lot a little further south, Ledbetter Used Cars? Do we still have little sole proprietorship used car lots where high school students today can buy a $700 clunker that will at least get them through the next inspection?

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: November 05, 2014 10:17AM

Thanks Bos. Cash for Clunkers killed the hooptie market.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.