HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Let me get this stratight
Posted by: Voting Next Week ()
Date: October 30, 2014 01:37PM

Obama says that employees of Doctors Without Borders who treat dying Ebola patients in Africa can come to America and go anywhere they want as long as they tell people that they have no symptoms, and can take aspirin to reduce fevers.

Army soldiers building hospitals in Africa with no contact with patients will serve a 21-day quarantine in Italy before returning to the US.

So said President Obama in yesterday's speech. Though there are rumors that the generals defied his orders to let them come straight home.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let me get this stratight
Posted by: Obama ebola watch ()
Date: October 30, 2014 02:53PM

Yes, you heard that correctly.

Posted by: Hillary C. ()
Date: October 30, 2014 03:57PM

Obama has never hidden his deep hatred of the military and anyone else who would defend America.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 30, 2014 04:15PM

There is something of a legal difference between the two situations.

Logically, there is no more compelling reason to quarrantine soldiers building hospitals in ebola infected nations in Africa than there is to quarrantine health care workers in those same countries. It is arguably less logical, because soldiers may be less likely than health care workers to come into contact with ebola infected persons.

Posted by: 9Gm3k ()
Date: October 31, 2014 08:55AM

The soldiers get paid while they are in quarantine, the health care workers don't. It's a lot to ask someone to give up. The workers go the West Africa as volunteers, they aren't getting paid for that either. Then, without any real basis for it, they are told they have to give up three more weeks on top of it at the end. Soldiers are different, they've signed up for a certian amount of being jerked around and they still get paid for it.

Posted by: Irrelevant ()
Date: October 31, 2014 09:47AM

The payment (or not) is irrelevant... The health and welfare of the general population is what matters, except to our commander in chump...

Posted by: tp7FD ()
Date: November 01, 2014 01:07PM

All I know is that asshole up in Maine has brought my respect for nurses down to that of towtruck drivers.

Posted by: Because... ()
Date: November 01, 2014 06:33PM

tp7FD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I know is that asshole up in Maine has brought
> my respect for nurses down to that of towtruck
> drivers.

Because you're too stupid to understand science? Or because you're a certified epidemiologist and thus qualified to have an opinion about how disease spreads?

Those are the only possibilities, pick one.

Posted by: Canadian teabaggers eh? ()
Date: November 01, 2014 06:44PM

Canadians and Australians don't understand science either...

Canada won't issue visas to residents of countries with widespread Ebola

Last Updated Friday, October 31, 2014 10:29PM EDT

TORONTO -- Canada is following in Australia's footsteps and has closed its doors, effectively immediately, to people from the West African countries battling Ebola.

In a move that puts Canada at odds with the World Health Organization, the federal government said Friday it is suspending the issuance of visas for residents and nationals of countries with "widespread and persistent-intense transmission" of Ebola virus disease. As well, work on permanent residence applications for people from the affected countries is also being suspended.

The stress on countries with widespread transmission provides an out for the United States, which currently still has at least one active Ebola case within its borders. At present only three countries meet the definition of widespread and persistent Ebola transmission: Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.

Posted by: Selfish Maine Nurse ()
Date: November 01, 2014 06:45PM

That nurse DID cause people worldwide to suddenly support mandatory quarantines. Selfishness did it, nothing else.

Even Doctors Without Borders is following the military (and ignoring Obama/CDC) by implementing a 21-day quarantine for their people now.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.