HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How do you plan to deal with rush-hour traffic disruption caused by new HS start times?
Posted by: Stuck Behind a Schoolbus ()
Date: October 29, 2014 05:02PM

This is going to cause a lot of headaches where I live.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you plan to deal with rush-hour traffic disruption caused by new HS start times?
Posted by: won't matter ()
Date: October 29, 2014 05:04PM

My commute will only get better. Thanks SLEEPers!

Re: How do you plan to deal with rush-hour traffic disruption caused by new HS start times?
Posted by: kPdJW ()
Date: October 29, 2014 05:04PM

wake up earlier, dickhead.

Posted by: ytphj ()
Date: October 29, 2014 05:21PM

Stuck Behind a Schoolbus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is going to cause a lot of headaches where I
> live.

Works great for me. I work at a middle school so we're now the earliest. Won't have to deal with the Robinson or lake Braddock traffic anymore and will probably shave about 10-15 minutes of my commute. Couldn't be happier.

Posted by: Math whiz ()
Date: October 29, 2014 08:30PM

It's the same number of kids going to the same number of schools.

Posted by: Stuck Behind a Schoolbus ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:52PM

Math whiz Wrote:
> It's the same number of kids going to the same
> number of schools.

So if your paperboy delivered 365 newspapers to your house on January 1, it would be the same as getting one a day for the year? It's the same number of newspapers going to the same number of houses.

Timing is important. High school drivers and high school buses are currently off the roads by 7:20. Next year it will be later, when more commuters are also on the road. Right now I leave home right after high school starts. Next year I will be in that traffic. Now I could leave earlier to avoid the traffic but wouldn't that be a cost of the change, having commuters adjust their schedules. Well, I guess it's free, so . . ." No, wait. It's costing taxpayers $5 million next year.

Posted by: Non commuter ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:53PM

Keep working from home.

Posted by: a mother ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:58PM

On the days that my son had late start, he took an extra ten minutes to get to school because of the traffic. Those forty minutes will turn out to be less than thirty--not to mention the millions being spent.

Value for money? NO.

Posted by: 2 mile commute ()
Date: October 29, 2014 09:59PM

Yawn. Don't matter much. Good commute days are 5 minutes, bad commute days are 7 minutes. I'm ok with hearing an extra song on the radio once in a while. Sucks to be you though. Hows that 5br in Chantilly?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 30, 2014 06:14AM

> This is going to cause a lot of headaches where I
> live.

Life's tough! Try waking up before 8:00 and see if traffic is any better.

Posted by: vXuUu ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:01AM

kPdJW Wrote:
> wake up earlier, dickhead.

+1000 'its only 40 min.' thats what all the detractors say - so grown up should be able to cope. Wake up earlier and get an hour of work in before you go to work; telecommute till 930am; work later; negotiate a flex schedule with your boss (surely all the super-hard Merikan adults that think kids getting up at night to go to school can give terms to their bosses).

There are many avenues to solve what wont be a problem anyway. Stop complaining adults, put on your bigperson pants and deal with life. When one poster was asked what he says to his kids when the ask why they get up at night to go to school - "life is hard, get a helmet.' That advise works for grown ups too...

Posted by: big yellow cheeses ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:09AM

Will stay retired and continue enjoying that FCPS check every month, sorry for those still having to work at the asylums

Posted by: Math whiz ()
Date: October 30, 2014 01:13PM

> Timing is important. High school drivers and high
> school buses are currently off the roads by 7:20.
> Next year it will be later, when more commuters
> are also on the road.

High schools and middle schools simply traded situations. There will be MORE buses needed to support the new schedule, and a bus isn't more or less of a problem because of what school it's headed to.

> Right now I leave home right after high school
> starts. Next year I will be in that traffic.

Who cares? It isn't all about you.

> Now I could leave earlier to avoid the traffic...

I'm sure ypu'll think of something.

> ...but wouldn't that be a cost of the change,
> having commuters adjust their schedules.

No.

> Well, I guess it's free, so . . ." No, wait. It's
> costing taxpayers $5 million next year.

More Dumb. Your taxes don't change by a penny.

Posted by: The Wheels on the Bus... ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:35PM

Put your kid on a bus. Make them work a real job to earn money to buy a car rather than giving them your old BMW. Imagine how many cars would be off the road.

Posted by: wYFH6 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:42PM

people, please stop having kids!

if you do, stfu about anything and everything related to them

your brats cost us a shit load of money and they are not important

Posted by: GS-15 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 08:42PM

I'll have to switch my schedule from telecommute Fridays to telecommute M-F

I just bring my Ipad to the gold course when I telecommute anyways...

Posted by: Six years late ()
Date: October 30, 2014 09:12PM

My kids were in 6th and 7th grades when I was an avid supporter of SLEEP. Due to transportation issues, I never thought it would go through. I'm glad to see that it has been approve! In much smaller counties, high school starts at 8:30.

Posted by: air raid sirens ()
Date: January 05, 2015 07:23AM

Ugh, holiday is over. Had to wake up at 5:40 am to get my 12 yr. old up for school this morning. Id like to propose air raid sirens be installed throughout Fairfax County to go off for a 5 min. duration at 6am on school days so that they can be heard at a minimum of 85 dB at every residence. Wake up all the jerkoff Republicans making our kids go to school before sunrise.

Posted by: Sunrise, sunset ()
Date: January 05, 2015 07:53AM

Sunrise today was at 7:27. Somebody has to go in before that hour, or you will have to pay to buy, maintain, and operate a couple of thousand more school buses. Which of course will all be on the road at the same time, making just one morning trip and one afternoon trip per day. Not a very good idea.

If you thought having kids was going to help with your ability to sleep in in the morning, you obviously made a very big mistake.

Posted by: School Bored ()
Date: January 05, 2015 08:09AM

> Timing is important. High school drivers and high
> school buses are currently off the roads by 7:20.
> Next year it will be later, when more commuters
> are also on the road.

Under the revised schedule, it's middle school buses and helicopter parents in their SUV's who will be off the road by that hour. The two groups are merely trading places. You didn't seem to have a very good grasp of that.

> Right now I leave home right after high school starts.
> Next year I will be in that traffic. Now I could leave
> earlier to avoid the traffic but wouldn't that be a cost
> of the change, having commuters adjust their schedules.
> Well, I guess it's free, so . . ." No, wait. It's
> costing taxpayers $5 million next year.

Bulletin: Nobody but you cares about little old you. Mommy won't be coming over to kiss it better. Adapt or die. Meanwhile, the whole change was done to stuff a sock in the mouth of the obnoxious right-wing "populists" at SLEEP, Inc. Bunch of brown-shirted hussies. Blame them, if you are looking for villains. And at a mere $5 million (much of it for new buses that were and would have been needed anyway), this option was actually one of the cheap ones.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.