HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Recent Fairfax teen suicides raise many unanswered questions
Posted by: Fairfax times ()
Date: October 28, 2014 01:54PM

Three Fairfax County teens whose lives all ended abruptly within the last month — two of whom were discovered near train tracks — could potentially point to a phenomenon called “suicide contagion,” experts say.

On Oct. 15, the body of 15-year-old Brooke Buesking, a sophomore at Robinson Secondary School in Fairfax, was discovered near train tracks that run behind the Burke Centre shopping center. Fairfax County police confirmed that at 9 p.m. that evening, an Amtrak train had hit a person in that area, near Sideburn and New Guinea roads.

About two weeks earlier, on Sept. 28, the body of Cara Lynn Golias, 16, a junior at Fairfax High School, was discovered by police near a railroad bridge trestle in the 13200 block of Yates Ford Road in Hemlock Overlook Regional Park near Clifton. Four days before that, Emma Clark, a senior at South Lakes High School, also died unexpectedly, the details of her death shrouded in mystery.

“Understanding death, especially the death of a peer, can be a very difficult experience. For that reason, we hope that you will listen to your son or daughter as well as discuss with them their feelings and reactions to this tragedy,” South Lakes High School Principal Kim Retzer wrote in an email to students and their families following Clark’s untimely death.

Across the country, suicide is the third leading cause of death among teens, and results in about 4,600 lives lost each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to suicide experts, three deaths within a month by three students within the same school system — all girls of similar age and at least two of which occurred in the same manner — could very well be the result of what experts call “suicide contagion.”

According to Dr. Richard McKeon, chief of the suicide prevention branch of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, “suicide contagion” means that the death by suicide of one youth can influence others. “Typically you are talking about influencing other very vulnerable youth, others who might already have thoughts of suicide or may be suffering from depression or substance abuse. Media coverage of one suicide that details specifically how a suicide took place may seem to glamorize it, and may even become an inadvertent ‘how-to’ manual for another student who is already vulnerable,” he said.

According to the Fairfax County Public Schools Youth Survey for 2013-14, nearly 33 percent of high school seniors reported feeling sad to the point of hopelessness within the last year, and nearly 19 percent of 10th-graders reported that they had seriously considered suicide. Of all students who reported seriously considering suicide within the last year, female students outnumbered male students 2 to 1.

Michelle Cornette, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based American Association of Suicidology, said that two young girls within the same school system who both chose to take their lives by stepping in front of a train within two weeks of each other “could certainly point to contagion,” but Cornette said nationwide, suicide by train is not one of the more frequently seen methods.

“We see firearms, hanging and drowning much more frequently,” she said. “But stepping out in front of a train certainly would be an easy method to access.”

Former American Association of Suicidology director, Dr. Lanny Berman, performed a nationwide study in 2009 which focused specifically on suicide victims who threw themselves in front of moving trains. “People choose methods of suicide mostly because of their relative accessibility,” he said in an email this week. “If a gun is available in the home it is most likely to be used by someone intent on dying by suicide [but] Metro tracks are readily accessed in urban and suburban communities.”

In February, Jack Chen, 15, a sophomore at W.T. Woodson High School in Fairfax, took his life by stepping in front of a commuter train after writing his family a note saying, “There is too much stress in my life from school and the environment it creates, expectations for sports, expectations from my friends and expectations from my family.”

Chen had a 4.3 GPA at the time of his death. Golias, whose body was discovered near a railroad bridge trestle in Clifton on Sept. 28, also had a 4.3 GPA, and was taking multiple Advanced Placement courses. She also was a passionate athlete, dedicating eight years to the FPYC Lions soccer team, as well as playing volleyball her freshman year, and running cross-country her sophomore and junior years.

“It may surprise some people that a teen who is the prom queen and who is also the soccer team captain would commit suicide,” said Cornette. “But they shouldn’t be surprised. It is not always those with abject lives who commit suicide. It is all a matter of self-perception. Just because teens have things going for them doesn’t mean they don’t perceive themselves as troubled, or as having issues.”

Fairfax County Public Schools spokesman John Torre said FCPS does not keep an annual tally of the number of suicides or suicide attempts made by students, but W.T. Woodson High School alone has had at least six apparent suicides within the last three years.

“Many FCPS high schools have ongoing depression screening efforts targeted to either specific grade levels in grades nine through 12, as well as ongoing crisis intervention training in which counselors, psychologists and social workers have been provided enhanced training in crisis preparedness, prevention, response and recovery,” Torre said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent Fairfax teen suicides raise many unanswered questions
Posted by: What's Missing In Fairfax ()
Date: October 28, 2014 02:49PM

With so many Fairfax youth choosing the homosexual lifestyle, you'd think more of them would be killing themselves. Do they just need more encouragement to commit to it or what? Do we need, as a community, to help them find the train tracks? Do more parents need to take the time to eject them from the family? Are the schools just not sending the right message? Where are we as a society failing that more of these unwanted misfits are not removing themselves from our world?

Posted by: Tracks of My Tears ()
Date: October 28, 2014 10:55PM

Liberal teaching destroys many of the fundamental values and self-sufficiency that a kid could hang on to during a rough time.

Posted by: Scool dayz ()
Date: October 28, 2014 10:57PM

Maybe teachers are assigning too much homework.

Posted by: Fhs students ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:31PM

Scool dayz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe teachers are assigning too much homework.

Is not such thay! But some teachers bully us! They think we are good for nothing and make fun of us if we don't know how to do somethint. It's also some class mates that bullies is. Then our parents think it's easy to get good grade.

Posted by: ThomasTheTankEngine ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:34PM

All these kids dying had perfect grades. All this shows is those that succeed in school are mentally ill. These kids are short circuiting because they are forced to adhere to a cultural Marxist belief system that practices doublethink like in 1984. The competition to get into schools for Whites and Asians is so fierce and so intense while for Blacks and Latinos it is a cakewalk. Liberal educators see this as equality, but really it is just them torturing students to adhere to their belief system or have their future ruined.

Do your 60 page math packet or you will fail. Do your paper and don’t pick a controversial subject and do not show critical thought, but write it with perfect grammar and skirt around questions. Come to school every day and we will tell you where to sit and who to sit by. We will isolate you from friends. We will stick you with shitty teachers who in some cases are pedophiles or outright mentally ill. We will force you to be part of a half Learning Disabled class. If you decide to try hard and go in the AP or IB program, have fun being with the same group of kids for four years and doing a pointless amount of work that will keep you busy just for the sake of busywork. Do a sport and clubs too otherwise you are just another scum white kid we want to fail at getting accepted anywhere accept Radford. We will mentally disabled students to go to the “regular” school because we NEED equality. We NEED Blacks and Latinos running this country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klsbzC9V0Yg

Posted by: Oh ai there ()
Date: October 28, 2014 11:47PM

^

Hey Yucky24, nice to see you in FFX general

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: October 29, 2014 01:18AM

Tracks of My Tears Wrote:
> Liberal teaching destroys many of the fundamental
> values and self-sufficiency that a kid could hang
> on to during a rough time.

What really matters? Who really cares? If my mother can kill me when I am growing in her belly, why am I important now? Maybe she is thinking she made the wrong choice. Maybe I’m more trouble than she thought and she doesn’t want me anymore. What’s more, You all agree this is how I am valued and determined worthy of life, or not. Maybe I’ll just off myself to defy her mighty holiness

Posted by: Don't Be Afraid, Just Do It! ()
Date: October 29, 2014 12:29PM

causeican Wrote:
> What really matters? Who really cares? If my
> mother can kill me when I am growing in her belly,
> why am I important now? Maybe she is thinking she
> made the wrong choice. Maybe I’m more trouble
> than she thought and she doesn’t want me
> anymore. What’s more, You all agree this is how
> I am valued and determined worthy of life, or not.
> Maybe I’ll just off myself to defy her mighty
> holiness

If you're gay, that's the logical and correct thing to do. I'll even show you the way to the train tracks for a tried and sure method!

Posted by: K215 ()
Date: November 09, 2014 02:22PM

If you make one more comment about gays needing to kill themselves I will personally hunt you down and kick your ass so fucking hard you'll have to tell your lover why he can't fuck you this month.

Posted by: CpbpV ()
Date: November 09, 2014 03:46PM

Metro is watma is black run / corrupt / bankrupt borrowed DC train.

VRE is virginia rail. where new deaths are occuring. (in the past, there were many in the news, all were metro. until ...)

really a government psych bitch from DC telling me what to think

“We see firearms, hanging and drowning much more frequently,” she said. “But stepping out in front of a train certainly would be an easy method to access.”

-----------------------------
i think it's democrats in my area wiht my tax money

causing deaths which before late 90's definitely early 2000's illegals and democrats flooded the area at the fastest pace printing and borrowing would allow

they got into reston (condos democrats made deal to use fx co money for, for bribes) then into manassas in great number (illegals quiet in herndon)

took over the voting power.

THEN WE SAW reports of teens being hit by VRE in the paper. only after manassas had been flooded with corrupt democrats

----------------------------
I do NOT need some DC slut's opion on what i should thing

and the main language in lord fairfax's back yard, my place of birth, is english bitch, not spanish

Posted by: JdWcv ()
Date: November 09, 2014 03:48PM

oh i forgot. in dc it was always some older male or female (probably a drug hit)

VRE of course seems to be all fuckable, women and young boys

Posted by: Don't Be Afraid, Just Do It! ()
Date: November 09, 2014 06:08PM

K215 Wrote:
> If you make one more comment about gays needing to
> kill themselves I will personally hunt you down
> and kick your ass so fucking hard you'll have to
> tell your lover why he can't fuck you this month.

K215, Did you mommy and daddy tell you they still love you when you came out of the closet? They're lying and are ashamed! Hurt them back. You know where Daddy keeps his gun, and where Mommy keeps her pills. In a few minutes you can hurt them and everyone who's been mean to you. Just think, you'll be flying on the back of a magical unicorn that poops strawberry ice cream while show tunes play in the clouds! Everyone will feel bad for what they did and sorry for teasing you. If you have a boyfriend, agree to do it together and make everyone else miss you! Just do it!

Meet me down by the tracks, K215. I'll be waiting to help you cross over. The same for all the gays in Fairfax and everywhere else. Just do it.
Attachments:
imagesCATFHS5N.jpg

Posted by: Scared little bitch above ()
Date: November 09, 2014 06:24PM

Post your real name man.

Posted by: Choo Choo ()
Date: November 09, 2014 06:39PM

Scared little bitch above Wrote:
> Post your real name man.

GarybuseydoesitFAGGOT.jpg

Posted by: 4GDe6 ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:21PM

my names santa, and i have a big yellow present for you

Posted by: FbPvx ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:27PM

hey garry, when the city workers behind you in "anti citizen protection gear", take you into court and extort you until you loose most of your money

then tell me about love of goverment without law (parliaments)

because i know plenty of stars in hollywood have been rumoring the county's and police have been raping old hollywood systematically

i'm sure it's true

just sign on to obama.gov so google knows where you are. all it takes

Posted by: MXPew ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:29PM

or, like some f'ing foreigner maruading the usa,

you could move around allot leaving debt behind you, carefully guarding your identity and location

maybe get allot of gov cash in a job somewhere before jumping town to FL a while

you know man...

do the shake and bake is what i'm sayin

Posted by: pHFye ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:51PM

in india, with free immigration and spending and they welcome foreigners to spend their money and make loans, they are ruled by parliament not constitutional rights, and are gun laws are %99 no (if you apply), and they shoot anyone who has a rifle as a terrorist, nothing other than a small pistol is allowed even for %1.

THERE ARE VERY FEW DEATHS ON PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN INDIA

imagine that. maybe DC girl has an obama point there telling me obama cash infiltrating fairfax, la courthouse ne'er doing law, can't go wrong anywhere - since it's all the same anyway, that VRE deaths are something new (though she says nothing of the 90's DC metro frequet metro killings)

you see my problem is: india does have people run over by trains allot, and government workers set apart from the rest livign it up does effect the rest

my problem is having someone 1/2 my age telling me what to think and thinking i owe to believe it
Attachments:
gun-law-2.jpg
gravy.jpg

Posted by: jm3uU ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:55PM

a string of train deaths. NOT NEW

Posted by: t6kFC ()
Date: November 09, 2014 09:05PM

if it were psychological it would be a cry that the government had killed them, thus they put themselves to death by being run over by a government overspent project

but that's a far fetch unless they are being poisoned - so many doing the same - unless obama schooling is that bad (which i don't doubt, but can't say is to blame). i very much doubt so many girls and boys alike are all so disgusted by schools they throw themselves in front of government equipment to make a death statement obama gov control and inflation is running over america. why? they are being brainwashed to think nothing is wrong and it's all the same, the money. maybe mother nature told them otherwise. but i doubt it, since so many today wouldn't believe a gov in usa might alight itself to steal and kill any non-gov workers for money. yet there are, they do, and while some see it others even if old enough will not see what is right in front of their eyes, especially since they may have incentive not to believe (ie, a cash flow from a gov worker).

it's just as likely it's murder, and there's many motives available

sex with women and young boys, money (insurance on childrens heads), even an empty school chair someone else could jump into would be enough for certain people from certain places who are "just in town"

there's so much to look forward to seeing why there is some leap in deaths on just VRE in just manassass just since bull-o-va gov and the early 2000's

should be easy to get people to start talking about what motives might be and where to start looking

Posted by: kDYXH ()
Date: November 09, 2014 09:11PM

i'm saying Metro (DC niggas) have a thick history of metro deaths.

and VRE does not have a deep history of suicide by train

i've seen 30 years of news papers (though none much last 5 years they are trash)

------------------------------
prove me wrong

show me some research for your gov paycheck

DC (metro) has no death by train strike history that recently stopped since obama, and VRE has a firm death history that really is an extension of the already ongoing suicides

prove it

(btw, by death statistics, your already wrong, there is no strong history of suicide in VA until obama appears on the scene: huge spike in. which i'm goign to guess. jose walks in takes gun shoots you, cops think you shot yourself with own gun. guess what jose works for a lease company and your new mexican neighbor got a loan from the county gov. in other words: VA has always been good at not investigating suicide, not really caring which way to save money, and taking the gov side in all law cases. in the past: a strict state but also fair - and they were able to be fair, by not allowing bullshit)

Posted by: Hey Roadkill ()
Date: November 10, 2014 08:47AM

Scared little bitch above Wrote:
> Post your real name man.

Just do it, tough guy. Were you so tough when your daddy slapped you for announcing that you're queer? Get your My Little Pony blanket and head for the tracks.

Posted by: enough ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:07AM

Hey moderator - isn't it time to do something?

This thread's a problem, no?

Posted by: P7DFC ()
Date: November 10, 2014 09:35AM

It's just a fad that will die out.

Posted by: Not limited to FFX ()
Date: November 10, 2014 02:07PM

A 16 year old Patriot High School girl committed suicide last week as well.

Posted by: Watch What Happens Next ()
Date: November 10, 2014 06:17PM

enough Wrote:
> Hey moderator - isn't it time to do something?
>
> This thread's a problem, no?
Attachments:
Wonka FFXU.jpg

Posted by: K215 ()
Date: November 11, 2014 11:24AM

All of you who have something against gays, grow the fuck up. Stay out of people's fucking business. The loss of life is ALWAYS something extremly tragic and the disrespect to the family's and memories of the people lost here absolutely disgust me. No matter why or how it happened, you're responce should ALWAYS be apologetic and sympathetic. Not being your own stupid polital opinions that no one gives a shit about. Have some fucking decency. I have never been more ashamed of this county.

Posted by: SoCo ()
Date: November 11, 2014 12:19PM

had one last year also. And one (at least) the year before. And why doesn't FCPS track this stuff?

Posted by: Just Do It! ()
Date: November 11, 2014 04:14PM

K215 Wrote:
> All of you who have something against gays, grow
> the fuck up. Stay out of people's fucking
> business. The loss of life is ALWAYS something
> extremly tragic and the disrespect to the family's
> and memories of the people lost here absolutely
> disgust me. No matter why or how it happened,
> you're responce should ALWAYS be apologetic and
> sympathetic. Not being your own stupid polital
> opinions that no one gives a shit about. Have some
> fucking decency. I have never been more ashamed of
> this county.

What you should be ashamed of is your own lack of literacy. Poor grammar and spelling reflects badly both on you and the FCPS system.

And I give a shit about my opinions, so your statement is incorrect.

That said, will all the gays please report to the VRE tracks immediately. The 6:07 is due any minute and we don't want an opportunity to be missed.

Posted by: I'm A Betting Man ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:28PM

SoCo Wrote:
> had one last year also. And one (at least) the
> year before. And why doesn't FCPS track this
> stuff?

You're right. Tracking and publishing would make things better. For example, I've got that faggot cheerleader from South Lakes in the FFXU Death Pool and am hoping he offs himself soon. I want to know when I win.

Posted by: Larry Vegas ()
Date: November 11, 2014 05:32PM

I'm A Betting Man Wrote:

>
> You're right. Tracking and publishing would make
> things better. For example, I've got that faggot
> cheerleader from South Lakes in the FFXU Death
> Pool and am hoping he offs himself soon. I want to
> know when I win.

Are you willing to sell those rights for Gerry Connolly and any Langley Senior?

Posted by: AIOFJ15 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 11:54PM

" Just Do It!" you need to shut your mouth, You ought to be ashamed of youself for even joking about killing someone. What leads a person to suicide is being in a cold, dark place that no one should ever be in. No one. Gay, straight, black, white, it doesn't matter. I would know because when I was a young teen I tried to kill myself, don't you make the mistake of being the person who wants to lead another human being to their death. It's not funny, and nor will it ever be.This is a dark time our community is going through. FCPS is not always to blame, administrators and teachers do care for their students, but perhaps a new methodology would help this horrible crisis.

Posted by: AIOFJ15 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 12:00AM

Well, OK, maybe gays should.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.