HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA TECH Football
Posted by: Turkey Leg ()
Date: October 24, 2014 11:01AM

What a mess! Scott's offense has zero imagination and Bud's "bring the house" defense is so predictable since he' been doing the same thing for decades. But the worst part is the lousy recruiting - especially here in Northern Virginia. I'll simply point to two examples - Stephon Robertson (Edison) - who had a stellar career at JMU (honors too numerous to list) and Michael Nebrich (Lake Braddock) who is ripping it up at Fordham, These players were not "flying under the radar" in high school. They were both studs! It is my understanding both would have gone to VA TECH if offered. I hate to say it - but Frank needs to step down and they need to look beyond the current staff for a NEW HEAD COACH.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA TECH Football
Posted by: Lick my Balls ()
Date: October 24, 2014 03:47PM

Yep, old Frankie needs to take a hike. That program is in the shitter now.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 24, 2014 07:02PM

Hard to believe a DC-area team would be in such shambles!

Posted by: Ihaveaids ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:22PM

I wouldn't call it a DC area team, being more than 250 miles away. New York is closer than Blacksburg, but the Yankees aren't a DC area team.

Posted by: All knowing seer ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:33PM

There's a reason those two stellar performers aren't at big-time programs.

Posted by: Inquisitive One ()
Date: October 25, 2014 02:46AM

A lot of things have changed during the past couple of years. Tech is a fringe school in the Washington DC area and the presence of Maryland as an ACC school helped a lot. With Maryland moving to the BIG the focus has shifted away from the ACC to the BIG and Tech is finding itself without a large media presence in the Northern Virginia area. Also, their recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by: Hokie Observer Not Yet A Fan ()
Date: October 25, 2014 08:10AM

The chaos, disorganization, and lack of symmetry between the cluster-fuck VT coaching staff is painfully apparent each and every game. Their face-palm fuck-ups alone are good for at least 60 yards for the opposing team every game. That is a leadership problem. Beamer needs to be forced into retirement at the end of the season.

OP is right about recruiting. They don't have a lot of talent across key positions, and there is no depth in their up and coming talent chart. Starting QB is a perfect example - Brewer was a last minute, former Texas Tech "B" caliber player Junior Transfer who already graduated and has a degree. C'mon!

There is an underlying core values and culture problem in the VT Football program. They have too much "me" and not enough "we." We teams execute with consistent, explosive, unified precision. Me teams are inconsistent, spotty, discombobulated, and sporadic. A team culture that values and rewards team, camaraderie, sportsmanship, pride, and poise on and off the field is good. A team culture that tolerates selfish, cheap shot, show boating, smack talking, ghetto thug attitude and conduct on and off the field is bad. How many VT football players are First Team All Americans and Academic All Americans? How many have rap sheets, conduct/academic issues?

The VT Football program will take years to rebuild, and based on their losing record - that will be a very difficult, steep mountain to climb without a new, invigorated, leader as head coach - one who can inspire, organize, recruit, create a winning culture, build a winning record, and field all-around team players with talent and character both on and off the gridiron.

Date: October 25, 2014 12:37PM

Ihaveaids Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't call it a DC area team

That's because you're an idiot.

VA Tech is the college football team of choice for the DC area, other than some dopes in Maryland. That's why they're such chokers -- the DC Area Curse sees to it.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: October 25, 2014 12:47PM

They have a lot of injuries across key positions since the OSU game. DT, DE, ILB, CB, 3 RBs, TE, and WR. There seems to be something wrong with their coaching in playing injured players until they can't go on.

VT masked its inept offensive line for years by recruiting dual-threat QB's. Opponents no longer have two runners to worry about.

Posted by: no so quick, not yet ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:13AM

Inquisitive One Wrote:
> A lot of things have changed during the past
> couple of years. Tech is a fringe school in the
> Washington DC area and the presence of Maryland as
> an ACC school helped a lot. With Maryland moving
> to the BIG the focus has shifted away from the ACC
> to the BIG and Tech is finding itself without a
> large media presence in the Northern Virginia
> area. Also, their recruiting leaves a lot to be
> desired.

Maryland football was a marginal-at-best factor in the ACC.

How did Maryland leaving the ACC impact VaTech's exposure up here, but for the possibility of a game every other year?

VaTech has never really been in a media hotbed of any kind.

Has the focus really shifted away from the ACC already? Really?

Last year ACC football had the nat'l champs, Heisman winner, and every other individual award winner in the country...

I'd give it a little more time to say the focus has shifted away.

Posted by: does this sound right? ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:22AM

Is this the cycle?:

Recruiting, for most older coaches, is a pain in the neck.

Travelling, kissing up to high school kids, going to clinics, etc...and as a coach gets older and more established, they start delegating more and more recruiting, are less energetic about it, maybe a little more out of touch with the young kids.

Then, a new staff comes in, with younger assistants (including those that might have just left the college or NFL playing field a few years before), they are energetic, on the road, relevant, "know" the kids and the lingo...

And thus the cycle begins all over...

Posted by: not a VA Tech but ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:54AM

Back in the day, Tech did major recruiting in the Hampton/Norfolk area and had a great deal of success. Other major programs got wind of it and the well has since dried up for Tech.

As far as people gravitating towards the Big Ten no one gives a rats ass about that conference unless your an alumni of one of the schools. This has always and always will be ACC country.

Posted by: iLester ()
Date: October 27, 2014 11:12AM

FSU and Clemson were down in Tech's early years in the ACC. They've hired new staff and turned their teams around. They've recruited some key players from tidewater area that Tech did so well in 1998-2006.

Beamer's decline mirrors that of Gary Williams's basketball career in Maryland. Williams did well in 1995-2002 when UNC, Georgetown, and Syracuse had down years. All three recruited Baltimore/DC heavily.

Posted by: Jim Beamer ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:48PM

Frank Beamer is far more concerned with keeping his son and golf buddies on Tech's payroll than about anything football-related. Beamerball is all about laughably bad special teams and offense. If not for Bud Foster's defenses covering for him, Beamer would've been exposed as a failure 12 years ago.

Posted by: Turkey Leg ()
Date: November 03, 2014 11:45AM

Bud's defense has not changed in 10 years. I am a youth football coach (and not a very good one) and I know when Bud is going to "bring the house" and what to call. Opposing college coaches are WAY SMARTER than me.

And as far as recruiting goes, too many players are getting out of Virginia who are right under VA Tech's noses and off they go!!!

I love Frank and Bud. I'll love them more when they are not coaching VA Tech's football team.

Posted by: bill foster ()
Date: November 03, 2014 12:00PM

Turkey Leg Wrote:
> Bud's defense has not changed in 10 years. I am a
> youth football coach (and not a very good one) and
> I know when Bud is going to "bring the house" and
> what to call. Opposing college coaches are WAY
> SMARTER than me.
>

By your logic, Urban Meyer must be the dumbest coach in college football, since he couldn't figure out Bud's defense. Maybe Tech should schedule more cupcake Big10 schools to pad their schedule.

Posted by: Leg ()
Date: November 03, 2014 12:01PM

They don't have the size and depth along both lines. Their DEs lately are the size of NFL LBs. It comes down to how much they want to recruit for prototypical pro players at key positions of DL, LB, and OL.

Posted by: fire frank beamer ()
Date: November 23, 2014 02:51AM

Congrats Frankie baby! Your team was the laughing stock of NCAAF yesterday only scoring 3 pts in a 2 OT loss.
GTFO Frank!!!!!

Posted by: Just Say No ()
Date: November 23, 2014 06:31AM

Frank Beamer should take the sixty million (estimated) dollars he's wrung out of Virginia Tech and go away.

Posted by: Whit ()
Date: November 23, 2014 08:38AM

Just Say No Wrote:
> Frank Beamer should take the sixty million
> (estimated) dollars he's wrung out of Virginia
> Tech and go away.

Not gonna happen. That would mean his son Shane and his golf buddies would have to find jobs. Based on their quals, they'd probably never work again.

Posted by: Leggo ()
Date: November 23, 2014 08:48AM

He's not going to last much longer either way. He wants to retire by 2015 or 2016. I can't see forcing him to hire another Off Coord as a fix. The AD has to do a coaching search and decide whether there's a good replacement out there. It'd be much easier to hire a good one if he had a full year for the search. Maybe, Foster becomes the interim coach.

Posted by: GO TERPS! ()
Date: November 23, 2014 09:18AM

VA Tech goblers can suck it.

Fear the Turtle!

Posted by: Jack Welch ()
Date: November 23, 2014 09:22AM

When you produce absolutely nothing against the weakest competition in your field, you should be fired. Period. Doesn't matter what you did 15 years ago. If you're not producing now, it's time to go.

Posted by: Neutron Jack ()
Date: November 23, 2014 10:35AM

Jack Welch knew to jump ship ahead of the posse.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-man-who-destroyed-ge-2009-3

Date: November 23, 2014 11:35AM

GO TERPS! Wrote:
> VA Tech goblers can suck it.
>
> Fear the Turtle!

LOL, it's always cute when a fan of one shitty team criticizes the fans of another shitty team.

But that's pretty much par for the course in the DC area, so don't sweat it. :-)

Posted by: college park = shithole ()
Date: November 23, 2014 02:59PM

GO TERPS! Wrote:
> VA Tech goblers can suck it.
>
> Fear the Turtle!

Crawl back to your ghetto, er, I mean College Park.

Posted by: Troll Spotter.... ()
Date: November 23, 2014 03:22PM

Kilton Wrote:
> GO TERPS! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > VA Tech goblers can suck it.
> >
> > Fear the Turtle!
>
> LOL, it's always cute when a fan of one shitty
> team criticizes the fans of another shitty team.
>
> But that's pretty much par for the course in the
> DC area, so don't sweat it. :-)

It's even cuter when some fragile little man gets his troll jollies by making fun of fans of shitty teams. But that's pretty much par for the course for insecure trolls, so don't sweat it. ;-)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.