HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Yea, FCPS high school students can stay up an hour later to play video games and use social media
Posted by: Video Game Company Exec ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:27AM

Everyone knows that's what will happen, right?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yea, FCPS high school students can stay up an hour later to play video games and use social media
Posted by: xu4uM ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:31AM

Kids aren't going to change a damn thing based on this. They'll stay up as late as they were. I agree it's probably a dumb move, but fuck off for trying to trump up shit like this. Move on, deal with it.

Re: Yea, FCPS high school students can stay up an hour later to play video games and use social media
Posted by: Trafffic ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:39AM

Just forty minutes, because the students, and everyone else will be sitting in traffic longer.

Posted by: LVKMK ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:40AM

Unless you commute earlier. Not everyone in the world commutes at the same time your lazy ass does. Suck it!

Posted by: if we want it, you pay for it ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:41AM

Come budget time the county board should grow some balls and tell schools, ok you got what you wanted, so figure out what program you already have that you are going to take 4 million from to pay for this. But the reality is they will increase the real estate taxes again and more "for sale" signs will go up.

Posted by: Ummm... ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:10AM

This is a low-tax area, If you can't afford the taxes here, you can't afford them anywhere that has more than one stop-light. As for students, they have nothing to do with it. The change in start times was to let the air out of the balloons of all the gas-bag flash-mobber populists ginned up by the right-wing who were making the board's job and that of FCPS more difficult for no good reason. $5 mil is not much money and it is already budgeted. County and school revenues do need to increase and soon, but only people who shouldn't have been here to begin with will claim to be moving away because of it.

Posted by: WOKDJ ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:12AM

When I went to high school in the 90s I had to wake up at 5. I survived somehow. Maybe they should get the kids off weird ass perscription drugs, and to stop drinking, smoking de ganja, taking drugs and spending all night playing "grown-up" sucking retards off (which now applies to boys and girls).

Posted by: Big Dick Black ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:19AM

WOKDJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I went to high school in the 90s I had to
> wake up at 5. I survived somehow. Maybe they
> should get the kids off weird ass perscription
> drugs, and to stop drinking, smoking de ganja,
> taking drugs and spending all night playing
> "grown-up" sucking retards off (which now applies
> to boys and girls).

Throw in "Communication Overload Syndrome" as well. This would cover all your social media shit. I have a friend who has 2 teenagers and he tells me they are obsessed with social media day and night. He says they would forego sleep in a heartbeat to continue to tweet, instagram, snapchat and God knows what else. Ive asked him why not just take the smart phones away and he looked at me like i was crazy. Apparently that is now tantamount to child abuse.

Posted by: ;;;;; ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:23AM

Take the devices away. They multi-task and electronic this and that incessantly and then wonder why they are so tired.

Date: October 24, 2014 10:43AM

There was high school long, long, long before all these devices came along. Kids stayed up late and were difficult to wake in the morning anyway. Rural kids had to get up early and "do chores", then ride a bus for an hour to get to school at all. According to Norman Rockwell, this was all good and healthy and true red-white-and-blue all-American. Now "sleeping in" is what we want to teach kids instead?

Posted by: Got milk? ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:51AM

There are a lot of kids around here who could benefit from milking some cows before they go to school, although I would bet even farm kids have figured out how to text and milk at the same time......

Posted by: Real world ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:51AM

Ummm... Wrote:
> There was high school long, long, long before all
> these devices came along.

Exactly. It's amazing how limited and superficial the thinking of some people can be. It's a battle to get kids to go to bed at night, and it's a battle to get them up out of bed again in the morning. Not willing to have that battle? Don't have kids.

Posted by: Dont buy it ()
Date: October 24, 2014 11:11AM

Ummm... Wrote:
> these devices came along. Kids stayed up late and
> were difficult to wake in the morning anyway.
> Rural kids had to get up early and "do chores",
> then ride a bus for an hour to get to school at
> all. According to Norman Rockwell, this was all
> good and healthy and true red-white-and-blue
> all-American. Now "sleeping in" is what we want
> to teach kids instead?

There is a big difference between getting up early to do chores on the farm and staying up till all hours staring into a 2x3 glowing screen. I was rasied on a farm and got up at 5 every morning feeling ready to go. What I didnt do was stay up all night playing with toys.

You know all these kids scammed their "parents who want to be best friends" type parents into supplying them with phones with the ridiculous "but mom how will you keep in touch with me" line. I would bet a substantial amount of money that at best 5% of teens phone usage involves their parents.

Date: October 24, 2014 11:51AM

Dont buy it Wrote:
> There is a big difference between getting up early
> to do chores on the farm and staying up till all
> hours staring into a 2x3 glowing screen.

What? Getting up at 5:00 am is the same now matter where you do it. If it's okay to get up at 5:00 am to milk cows, it's okay to get up at 5:00 am to get ready for school.

> You know all these kids scammed their "parents who
> want to be best friends" type parents into
> supplying them with phones...

Everyone has a phone. It doesn't matter what sort of parents you have. Except maybe if they are Amish or loopy Westboro Baptist types.

> with the ridiculous "but mom how will you keep in
> touch with me" line.

That's a PARENT line. You don't have teenage kids, do you.

> I would bet a substantial amount of money that at
> best 5% of teens phone usage involves their parents.

Huh? So what? What a dumb comment.

Posted by: Geezer Life ()
Date: October 24, 2014 12:05PM

Ummm... Wrote:
> >
> What? Getting up at 5:00 am is the same now
> matter where you do it. If it's okay to get up at
> 5:00 am to milk cows, it's okay to get up at 5:00
> am to get ready for school.

I think what the poster was trying to say is there is a difference between getting a good nights sleep and staying up until the wee hours texting chatting whatever. If you have a good nights sleep it doesnt matter what youre getting up for, you will feel better.

> > Everyone has a phone. It doesn't matter what sort
> of parents you have. Except maybe if they are
> Amish or loopy Westboro Baptist types.

That statement is so stupid I cant respond. If everyone had a portable blender in their car does that mean your kids need one too?

> That's a PARENT line. You don't have teenage
> kids, do you.

I beg your pardon, Ive raised several. And the first thing out of their mouths after "But all my friends have a phone" was "You will be able to stay in contact with me all the time now". If you have teenagers, you obviously dont listen to them much.

Date: October 24, 2014 12:40PM

Geezer Life Wrote:
> I think what the poster was trying to say is there
> is a difference between getting a good nights
> sleep and staying up until the wee hours texting
> chatting whatever. If you have a good nights sleep
> it doesnt matter what youre getting up for, you
> will feel better.

I don't think the poster had a clue as to what he was saying. This whole bit of SLEEP slobber is based on a claim that teenagers have different internal clocks. Those clocks would not know the difference between milking cows and getting ready for school. Either 5:00 am is bad or it isn't.

> That statement is so stupid I cant respond. If
> everyone had a portable blender in their car does
> that mean your kids need one too?

Liar. You somehow managed to respond. The response may have been ridiculously feeble, but it was still a response.

> I beg your pardon, Ive raised several. And the
> first thing out of their mouths after "But all my
> friends have a phone" was "You will be able to
> stay in contact with me all the time now".

Have you ever heard of "Why didn't you call?" Parents want to be reachable and want to be reached. They don't care about the kid across town having a phone. They care about their own kid having a phone. Spouse too. Especially now that pay-phones have all but gone out of existence.

> If you have teenagers, you obviously dont listen to them much.

Blow me, asshole. Who the fuck do you think you are?

Posted by: BrundleFly ()
Date: October 24, 2014 12:55PM

Ummm... Wrote:
> >
> Blow me, asshole. Who the fuck do you think you
> are?

In the unfortunate event that you do have children, I feel deeply sorry for them. You must be a great person to talk to.

Date: October 24, 2014 03:34PM

BrundleFly Wrote:
> You must be a great person to talk to.

Not if you're a whiny presumptuous asshole. I actually have little tolerance for whiny presumptuous assholes.

Posted by: Buggie Whip ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:16PM

Ummm... Wrote:
> these devices came along. Kids stayed up late and
> were difficult to wake in the morning anyway.
> Rural kids had to get up early and "do chores",
> then ride a bus for an hour to get to school at
> all. According to Norman Rockwell, this was all
> good and healthy and true red-white-and-blue
> all-American. Now "sleeping in" is what we want
> to teach kids instead?

Times change. The world Rockwell was describing is gone. You know what there was to do at night back then - nothing. Now you have access to an amazing array of information and entertainment 24/7. Kids today are growing up in a different world. You could say we are teaching them to sleep in by moving their time to get out of bed to 6:30 am but in my opinion that hardly constitutes 'sleeping in.'

We live in a much faster much more efficiency driven world. Kids dont get up to do farm chores any more because we have industrialized agriculture. I want to prepare our kids for the world they will live in not the one Rockwell painted 65 years ago. The kids that like to stay up late will be the ones trading in overseas markets or writing code late into the night - they can be productive all times of the the day and night.

Face it, thinking of getting up before the sun is a good thing for moral character is a thing of the past; from a time when having one kid milk cows in the morning was commercially viable.

Posted by: nov00 ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:22PM

Will elementary schools all start much earlier?

Posted by: hockeyhurt ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:54PM

WOKDJ Wrote:
> When I went to high school in the 90s I had to
> wake up at 5. I survived somehow. Maybe they
> should get the kids off weird ass perscription
> drugs, and to stop drinking, smoking de ganja,
> taking drugs and spending all night playing
> "grown-up" sucking retards off (which now applies
> to boys and girls).

I'm with you bro, and make their bitch ass parents take their phone away during the night. They can't sleep because they are getting texts all night long, that's no gonna change.

Posted by: Onika Maraj ()
Date: October 27, 2014 09:02PM

I remember back in Emporia in Middle school once It became 6:30 AM, you'd have to be sitting in your seat doing your work & also there were not any Tardy Passes or Late Passes, you'd actually had to stay after school and do Detention or Help a Teacher out during Lunch

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.