HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
lice in schools
Posted by: tired parent ()
Date: October 24, 2014 09:13AM

Ohmigod, I can't believe I just spent another hour last night going through all the kid's hair and now I'm washing the sheets and pillowcases and hiding the stuffed animals again.

Can we just hose down all the kids at school with some anti-lice treatment? Maybe after lunch but before recess they go through the lice wash on their way out the door.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lice in schools
Posted by: FCPS Alum ()
Date: October 24, 2014 11:03AM

When I was a kid, people who had lice were dirty. Period. We can't say that now according to my kids' school. "Studies" indicate that anyone can get lice no matter the level of hygiene. Well yeah, genius, when you're exposed to dirty people, you might end up getting their lice.

I don't recall a case of lice among anyone I was around growing up here. Embrace the diversity!

Re: lice in schools
Posted by: Lice ()
Date: October 24, 2014 11:24AM

The Lice issue comes up every year, usually around this time when it is cooler out.

The problem is many fold.

1. False Positives. I had my kids finger for Lice a number of times. I wanted to make sure if this was a problem, I understood it and could track and resolve the issue. Well after spending a lot of time and money I was NEVER able to detect Lice in my kids hair. Never bothered to jump through all the hoods, dry cleaning, washing and using special shampoos.

2. If there is a Lice problem, the schools ALWAYS talk about sharing hats and combs or brushes. This is NEVER the problem. Think about it, only in Elementary Schools is this ever an issue. Just go look at where all the kids keep their coats and backpacks, usually many end up in a pile on the floor. This is the PROBLEM!!!! A breeding ground for cross contamination.

3. SACC is also a breeding ground for problems. Younger kids by law have to take a nap or rest. Book bags, backpacks and coats/hats have no where to be properly stored. Usually end up in a pile on a floor or are hung on coat racks that all the coats touch each other. A breeding ground for cross contamination.

4. Middle school kids usually have lockers, often do not wear coats and keep their backpacks with them a good part of the day or they only have it in their own, not shared lockers. Little to no change of cross contamination.

5. High school kids rarely use locker, do not wear coats and keep all of their belongings with them for the entire day. Little to no chance of cross contamination.

Almost all Lice reports are in Elementary schools, almost all Lice outbreaks are in K-3, but can still happen in 4-6 as well.

If the stupid Health Departments and Schools would use their heads and think about how Lice can be spread they would see the problem is STUPID obvious.

I would expect a lot of the bedbug issue to also be caused by Elementary School book bags, back packs and coats piled up on the floor or hung too close on hooks.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.