HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ramblers have obviously stood the test of time. But what about all of the newer mega mansions and similarly constructed newer houses, will they stand the test of time or will they fall apart?
Posted by: Rambler Man ()
Date: October 24, 2014 06:45AM

file.php?2,file=159995,filename=Screensh

Will year after year of the harsh summer and winter conditions we have here make this type of newer construction fall apart in less than 30 years?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ramblers have obviously stood the test of time. But what about all of the newer mega mansions and similarly constructed newer houses, will they stand the test of time or will they fall apart?
Posted by: interesting pic ()
Date: October 24, 2014 07:06AM

Well, I don't know. But that there house looks like a one of a kind to me. I don't believe I've ever seen a tree in the middle of a driveway like that before.

Re: Ramblers have obviously stood the test of time. But what about all of the newer mega mansions and similarly constructed newer houses, will they stand the test of time or will they fall apart?
Date: October 24, 2014 07:08AM

interesting pic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I don't know. But that there house looks
> like a one of a kind to me. I don't believe I've
> ever seen a tree in the middle of a driveway like
> that before.

Someone posted it in one of the other rambler related threads.
I just thought I would use it as an example of newer construction.

There is also a driveway entrance leading into the front yard.
LOL.

Posted by: living large ()
Date: October 24, 2014 07:38AM

Ramblers are dead! Personally I like them. Land values in this area make it impossible to build a rambler. Economically in this area a small house is gone. Only 5,000+ sq ft homes are built or townhomes.

Date: October 24, 2014 01:30PM

living large Wrote:
> Ramblers are dead! Personally I like them. Land
> values in this area make it impossible to build a
> rambler. Economically in this area a small house
> is gone. Only 5,000+ sq ft homes are built or
> townhomes.

Will those 5,000+ sq ft homes stand the test of time?

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:16PM

OSB is not comparable to Brick.

Posted by: Homeowner... ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:46PM

Rambler Man Wrote:
> Will those 5,000+ sq ft homes stand the test of time?

What test is that, actually? Why would recently built homes of any size not hold up as well as any built in previous eras?

Date: October 24, 2014 02:49PM

Henro Wrote:
> OSB is not comparable to Brick.

You've got brick sub-flooring? Or do you just not know what OSB is?

Posted by: Cranky old Vet ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:52PM

I had a Rambler Ambassador station wagon...real piece of shit

Posted by: A Homeowner who is handy ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:56PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> Henro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > OSB is not comparable to Brick.
>
> You've got brick sub-flooring? Or do you just not
> know what OSB is?

Subflooring is not the only thing OSB can be used for. Do you need to call a handyman when your light bulb goes out? Now, go back to watching re-runs of Home Improvement so you can come back and pretend to be some knowledgeable "Homeowner.." LOL!

IMG_3262.JPG

Date: October 24, 2014 03:17PM

Dumbass. OSB rots and degrades rapidly upon contact with water. Much worse than plain old plywood on that score. Brick, well, not so much really. But brick is so expensive these days that it is rarely used in anything but a decorative context.

Date: October 24, 2014 03:44PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> Dumbass.

You are the Dumbass that insinuated that OSB is only used for subflooring. It is clearly used for more than just that, including sheathing.

> OSB rots and degrades rapidly upon
> contact with water. Much worse than plain old
> plywood on that score.

Yes, that was the point the above poster was making. He clearly implied that brick is superior to OMB. You erroneously thought that OMB was used only in subflooring. Many builders use it and wrap in Tyvek or other housewrap. Drive around any home or addition going up around here and you will see it used.

> Brick, well, not so much
> really. But brick is so expensive these days that
> it is rarely used in anything but a decorative
> context.

Which is why the above poster stated, "OSB is not comparable to Brick."

You fucked up. Just move along.

Posted by: Observer. ()
Date: October 24, 2014 03:53PM

I have seen ramblers with cheap additions built on top of them less than 10 years ago and the while original rambler part was holding up just fine while the cheap additions were already falling apart less than 10 years later.

Date: October 24, 2014 04:30PM

A Homeowner who is handy Wrote:
> You fucked up. Just move along.

Shoe on wrong foot, dumbass. Please review context of "Henro" post.

Date: October 24, 2014 04:45PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> A Homeowner who is handy Wrote:
> -----
> > You fucked up. Just move along.
>
> Shoe on wrong foot, dumbass. Please review
> context of "Henro" post.

Context is that OP asked if new construction will stand as long as old brick ramblers. Henro implied that new construction would not last as long because OSB is not comparable to brick because OSB is an inferior product. You wrongly implied that Henro does not Know what OSB is because you wrongly concluded that OSB is used only for sub flooring. As I correctly pointed out, OSB is also used as sheathing.

Once again, you fucked up. Just move along.

Posted by: Romney Rambler ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:50PM

My dad had a 68 Rambler American, it lasted 6 years and 120,000miles!

Date: October 24, 2014 06:34PM

> Context is that OP asked if new construction will
> stand as long as old brick ramblers.

Shoe again on wrong foot, dumbass. OP asked not about "standing", but standing the test of time.

> Henro implied that new construction would not
> last as long because OSB is not comparable to brick
> because OSB is an inferior product.

Henro implied nothing. There IS NO CONTEXT at all included in his post. You simply imagined it all.

> You wrongly implied that Henro does not Know what
> OSB is because you wrongly concluded that OSB is used
> only for sub flooring. As I correctly pointed
> out, OSB is also used as sheathing.

More faulty imagining. There was no exclusivity implied at all.

> Once again, you fucked up. Just move along.

Once again, you're full of shit. Drop dead.

Date: October 24, 2014 07:12PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> -----
> > Context is that OP asked if new construction
> will
> > stand as long as old brick ramblers.
>
> Shoe again on wrong foot, dumbass. OP asked not
> about "standing", but standing the test of time.
>
>
> > Henro implied that new construction would not
> > last as long because OSB is not comparable to
> brick
> > because OSB is an inferior product.
>
> Henro implied nothing. There IS NO CONTEXT at all
> included in his post. You simply imagined it all.
>
>
> > You wrongly implied that Henro does not Know
> what
> > OSB is because you wrongly concluded that OSB is
> used
> > only for sub flooring. As I correctly pointed
> > out, OSB is also used as sheathing.
>
> More faulty imagining. There was no exclusivity
> implied at all.
>
> > Once again, you fucked up. Just move along.
>
> Once again, you're full of shit. Drop dead.

Are you a recent immigrant who is learning English? The topic of the thread is the context of all replies except for yours. Tell us then, why did you bring up sub floor.

Posted by: but of course ()
Date: October 24, 2014 07:18PM

That looks to be the entrance ramp for the riding lawn mower?

Date: October 24, 2014 07:27PM

> Are you a recent immigrant who is learning English?

No, I am a writer. People pay me to do it.

> The topic of the thread is the context of all
> replies except for yours. Tell us then, why
> did you bring up sub floor.

As an example. Henro again provided NO CONTEXT AT ALL in his comment. You simply imagined one.

Date: October 25, 2014 11:31AM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> -----
> > Are you a recent immigrant who is learning
> English?
>
> No, I am a writer. People pay me to do it.

Stop lying.

> > The topic of the thread is the context of all
> > replies except for yours. Tell us then, why
> > did you bring up sub floor.
>
> As an example. Henro again provided NO CONTEXT AT
> ALL in his comment. You simply imagined one.

Context:
noun
the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect.
the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

The topic is the context. Someone who writes for a living would know that. You can't actually be contending that his statement is just some stand alone set if words. What prompted him to write them? The topic?

At least thank us for teaching you what OSB is.

Date: October 25, 2014 07:45PM

> Homeowner... Wrote:
> Stop lying.

Get over yourself, asshole.

> At least thank us for teaching you what OSB is.

LOL! See the above.

Posted by: cuffs high st ()
Date: October 25, 2014 07:58PM

Most ramblers are frame with brick veneer (no different than new homes)

The technology and techniques make new construction as durable or exceedingly so as homes from the past. My new 6000sf has almost the same heating cooling bill as my old rambler shitshack and it kicks ass.

Date: October 26, 2014 03:21PM

Homeowner... Wrote:

> LOL! See the above.

I did see above. I saw above where you were made to play the fool. LOL!

Posted by: Heads up, Flap-jaw... ()
Date: October 26, 2014 03:28PM

Lameness isn't an eraser. You don't have a clue as to what I do for a living, while I know exactly what OSB is and what its good and bad properties are. You're just fucked on both those fronts. Along with many others, I'm sure.

Date: October 26, 2014 04:18PM

Heads up, Flap-jaw... Wrote:
> You don't have a clue
> as to what I do for a living,

Nor do I give a shit.

> while I know exactly
> what OSB is and what its good and bad properties
> are.

Yet you accused another of not knowing what it was good for. Why? Because he indicated it was used as sheathing, which it is. You didn't seem to know that, hence your subfloor comment.

Arguing now, just makes you look childish instead if stupid.

Look, the floor is yours explain what in Henro's post made you think he didn't know what OSB was used for. Then explain how your subfloor comment fits in. Until you do that, you'll just be a whiney, childish prick of a troll.

Date: October 26, 2014 04:33PM

> Nor do I give a shit.

Yes, it's easy to see how few shits you give. LOL!

> Yet you accused another of not knowing what it was
> good for. Why? Because he indicated it was used
> as sheathing, which it is.

Liar. I made no such accusation, and he said no such thing. He said OSB was not comparable to brick. That's ALL he said.

> You didn't seem to know that, hence your
> subfloor comment.

Is OSB used as subflooring? Simple question. Do you know the answer?

> Arguing now, just makes you look childish instead
> if stupid.

You're the dumbass in this exchange. Why don't you just take your lumps and fuck off before things get even worse for you?

Date: October 26, 2014 05:27PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> Yes, it's easy to see how few shits you give.
> LOL!

When it comes to how you scrape by in life, you are correct, I give very few shits.

> Liar. I made no such accusation,

If that us the case, why did you ask this question: Or do you just not know what OSB is?

> and he said no
> such thing. He said OSB was not comparable to
> brick. That's ALL he said.

What is the exterior material of a good many of the ramblers in this area? What is the sheathing material used in most construction? Too dense to contextualize?

> Is OSB used as subflooring?

Yes. And unlike you, I've demonstrated it throughout this thread.

> Do you know the answer?

Yes, see above.

> You're the dumbass in this exchange. Why don't
> you just take your lumps and fuck off before
> things get even worse for you?

Be man enough to respond to the following, pussy.

"Look, the floor is yours explain what in Henro's post made you think he didn't know what OSB was used for. Then explain how your subfloor comment fits in."

Don't just delete it, and pretend it isn't there. Show us how smart you are and respond. C'mon dish out those lumps! LOL!

Posted by: Retard spotted ()
Date: October 26, 2014 05:37PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> Henro Wrote:
> -----
> > OSB is not comparable to Brick.
>
> You've got brick sub-flooring? Or do you just not
> know what OSB is?

You're as dumb as a brick.

Date: October 26, 2014 05:51PM

> When it comes to how you scrape by in life, you
> are correct, I give very few shits.

I'm a wealthy man, dude. Long and very successful career. I sit back now and live the good life. You are a downscale bit of worthless scum.

> If that us the case, why did you ask this
> question: Or do you just not know what OSB is?

Here, you colossal assfuck, is the entire exchange...

Henro: OSB is not comparable to Brick.
ME: You've got brick sub-flooring? Or do you just not know what OSB is?

There is NOTHING in Henro's post or in any of the posts preceding to clarify what the fuck he was talking about. Among other materials, brick and OSB are both used in constructing exterior walls. They are NOT both used in setting down subflooring. Does having that difference underscored for you in such stark terms make coming to terms with it any easier for you, or is there some sort of brain-deficit still operating that keeps you from understanding the perfectly obvious?

Come on, show us how you don't give a shit again. Fucking weenie dumbass.

Date: October 26, 2014 06:58PM

Homeowner... Wrote:

> I'm a wealthy man, dude. Long and very successful
> career. I sit back now and live the good life.
> You are a downscale bit of worthless scum.

Wealthy? You are about as wealthy as every Internet tough guy is tough.

> Here, you colossal assfuck, is the entire
> exchange...
>
> Henro: OSB is not comparable to Brick.
> ME: You've got brick sub-flooring? Or do you just
> not know what OSB is?
>
> There is NOTHING in Henro's post or in any of the
> posts preceding to clarify what the fuck he was
> talking about.

There you go again fucking up on context.

Date: October 26, 2014 07:10PM

> Wealthy? You are about as wealthy as every
> Internet tough guy is tough.

I used to be pretty tough and not so wealthy. Now, I'm not so tough, but pretty wealthy. This is better, as you will undoubtedly never know from any first-hand experience.

> There you go again fucking up on context.

Hang it up, assfuck. You had nothing to start with and have used it all up. Stupid dumbshit.

Posted by: A homeowner who is handy ()
Date: October 26, 2014 07:16PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> -----
> > Wealthy? You are about as wealthy as every
> > Internet tough guy is tough.
>
> I used to be pretty tough and not so wealthy.
> Now, I'm not so tough, but pretty wealthy. This
> is better, as you will undoubtedly never know from
> any first-hand experience.

You've never been either.

> > There you go again fucking up on context.
>
> Hang it up, assfuck. You had nothing to start
> with and have used it all up. Stupid dumbshit.

Persistence is not always a great quality. Particularly after I handed you your ass on a silver platter.

Date: October 26, 2014 07:23PM

A homeowner who is handy Wrote:
Attachments:
loser.jpg

Date: October 27, 2014 11:10AM

WoW!
Oriented strand board or OSB is used for both roof and siding are usually 1/2 inch and sub-floor being 3/4. When it is kept dry it will last.
Plywood became cost prohibative so OSB filled the role at a cheeper price.
When OSB sheeting is used with HARDI-Plank it looks good and weathers well.

Now days brick is a veneer usually just the face of the structure this will come down easy when rot from behind sets in or very fast moving winds get it dislodged.

I have built hundreds of houses and nothing beats Brick all four sides.
Havent you read the three pigs?

Don't even get me started on "quick grow pine" 2x4's.

Posted by: peanut gallery ()
Date: October 27, 2014 11:32AM

Henro Wrote:
> WoW!
> Oriented strand board or OSB is used for both roof
> and siding are usually 1/2 inch and sub-floor
> being 3/4. When it is kept dry it will last.
> Plywood became cost prohibative so OSB filled the
> role at a cheeper price.
> When OSB sheeting is used with HARDI-Plank it
> looks good and weathers well.
>
> Now days brick is a veneer usually just the face
> of the structure this will come down easy when rot
> from behind sets in or very fast moving winds get
> it dislodged.
>
> I have built hundreds of houses and nothing beats
> Brick all four sides.
> Havent you read the three pigs?
>
> Don't even get me started on "quick grow pine"
> 2x4's.

But you don't know what OSB is! *snicker* *chuckle*

bml.gif

Posted by: yrhrgd ()
Date: October 27, 2014 12:49PM

Henro Wrote:
> WoW!
> Oriented strand board or OSB is used for both roof
> and siding are usually 1/2 inch and sub-floor
> being 3/4. When it is kept dry it will last.
> Plywood became cost prohibative so OSB filled the
> role at a cheeper price.
> When OSB sheeting is used with HARDI-Plank it
> looks good and weathers well.
>
> Now days brick is a veneer usually just the face
> of the structure this will come down easy when rot
> from behind sets in or very fast moving winds get
> it dislodged.
>
> I have built hundreds of houses and nothing beats
> Brick all four sides.
> Havent you read the three pigs?
>
> Don't even get me started on "quick grow pine"
> 2x4's.

New homes built today have to withstand hurricane force winds. This requirement was a major change after hurricaine andrew. The idea that a strong wind will blow over brick veneer is idiotic.

Most of the rambler homes in this area are in fact brick veneer.

Actually most of the splits and rambler homes in the DC area should have been torn down years a go but high housing costs prohibited it.

Go to most other areas and the people living in ramblers are barely a step up from a trailer park.

Date: October 27, 2014 01:20PM

Yes Mr/Mrs wise one the IRC code is what buildings are engineered for but the quick building going on I have yet to see inspectors catch masons not anchoring the brick facade correctly ( at designed locations) over time it will pull away.

Posted by: Poof ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:26PM

peanut gallery Wrote:
> Henro Wrote:
> Plywood became cost prohibitive so OSB filled
> the role at a cheaper price.

> > When OSB sheeting is used with HARDI-Plank it
> > looks good and weathers well.
> >

Hardi-Plank? Isn't that a lot more expensive than vinyl or other siding?

OSB? Very flammable, correct?

Posted by: rich guy from Falls Church ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:28PM

I have stone veneer siding

Posted by: Follin Lane ()
Date: October 27, 2014 01:36PM

rich guy from Falls Church Wrote:
> I have stone veneer siding

You must have asked your builder for the Vienna model.

Date: October 27, 2014 02:31PM

Hardi-Plank? Isn't that a lot more expensive than vinyl or other siding?

yes

OSB? Very flammable, correct?

yes

Every thing is flammable at the right tempature.

Posted by: Truuth Train ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:36PM

Homeowner... Wrote:
> You're the dumbass in this exchange. Why don't
> you just take your lumps and fuck off before
> things get even worse for you?

Guy, guys, guys. Settle down.

You're BOTH fucking dumbasses.

Posted by: 1 thing we can all agree on ()
Date: October 27, 2014 02:37PM

"Homeowner..." is a troll

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.