HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Later start time approved!
Posted by: Ugh!! ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:35PM

Well, the school board has approved the later start times for high schools next year. This will cost the county 5 million, result in no more sleep for students, and take teacher's raises off the table again. How many ways can the County tell teachers "We don't give a SHIT about you"? I don't know the exact number to answer that question, but I do know that this ridiculous decision adds one more!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Later start time approved!
Date: October 23, 2014 09:50PM

Awesome! Sleeping in next year.

Posted by: dingus2 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:52PM

Ugh!! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, the school board has approved the later
> start times for high schools next year. This will
> cost the county 5 million, result in no more sleep
> for students, and take teacher's raises off the
> table again. How many ways can the County tell
> teachers "We don't give a SHIT about you"? I don't
> know the exact number to answer that question, but
> I do know that this ridiculous decision adds one
> more!

You make a convincing argument. They did it for no good reason whatsoever. It's like they want to waste 5mil and wake the students up at the same time for a later start time.

Posted by: Here's the REAL reason ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:12PM

Duh... next year these bozos are all up for re-election. They always pass some give away program the year before an election so that they can say they "listened to the community." Sorry teachers, you don't constitute enough of a voting bloc. It's true most of the SB members don't care about you and funny enough - the ones who care for you the least are the Democrats you all vote for.

Posted by: Morning Joe ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:16PM

Now they'll pass some other bs to accommodate early activities with bus service, staff, and teacher requirements.

Posted by: Gannett ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:34PM

Why 5 mil. Explain

Posted by: MattS ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:51PM

A later start time isn't going to change anything. It is just going to push everyone's schedule back 1 hour. Sports will end an hour later and that means an hour later that us students will go to bed because of homework. They should spend 5 million on reducing homework. Not pushing the schedule back an hour.

Posted by: Amen ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:58PM

Great job to all those folks who worked so hard on this.

Posted by: SLEEPing Idiots ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:59PM

Another $5 million wasted. I guess FCPS really doesn't have a budget problem, we can afford to waste it on more buses.

Posted by: Sleeping in ()
Date: October 23, 2014 11:08PM

Thank God for common sense. My teen does better in classes that start later. Last year he took online classes so he could sleep until 8-8:15. Considering it was junior year and one of the hardest and that he took online classes, he got the best grades since 7th grade. He still went to bed at a reasonable hour. He did not stay up later just because he could. Studies prove the teen brain does not function as well at 7:20 in the am. The cost of more buses is worth it to keep teens healthy and learning.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.