HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Drivers face thousands of dollars in fines from E-ZPass 495 Express Lanes
Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:56AM

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/26851755/drivers-face-thousands-of-dollars-in-fines-from-e-zpass-495-express-lanes

WASHINGTON -
My investigation into the fines given to E-ZPass drivers who use the 495 Express Lanes has changed from one man's story to a widespread problem.

Last week, we aired my story about Joe Mischler, who faced a whopping $17,000 fine for $36 in unpaid tolls.

When I took Joe's case to the company that manages the roads, Transurban, they finally took his case out of court and reduced his fines to a couple hundred dollars. Transurban's spokeswoman Pierce Coffee said the company was making an “exception” to its policies because Joe's case was “rare” and “unique.”

Well, just minutes after that story aired, I started getting tons of email from other people facing huge fines from Transurban. Elise Pizarro is one of those E-ZPass users.

"It wasn't rare and unique,” Elise said. “This is happening all the time. I'm not the only one it's happening to. Obviously it happened to Joe Mischler. It's happened to other people."

Elise's case mirrors Joe's. She commuted on the 495 Express Lanes. She also had an E-ZPass account that was linked to her credit card. And the gantries didn't pick up all her trips in spring 2013, so she is facing Transurban in court.

For the $28.30 in tolls that were not billed, Elise is facing $9,548.30 in fines. She was so scared of having to pay the full amount that she accepted an out-of-court settlement with Transurban. She has to pay $2,200 by November 19th. Elise took out a loan from her 401k to pay it.

I asked Elise why she was willing to spend thousands of dollars for less than $28.30 in tolls.

“I don't want to try to hire a lawyer. What if I lose?” she explained. “I keep seeing all these settlements ... so it doesn't seem to do any good."

Transurban said that Elise is at fault for insufficient funds in her E-ZPass account, not properly mounting her transponder and not responding before it got to court.

However, Elise said her E-ZPass account has always carried a balance. She contacted Transurban immediately after getting the bill and that she tried remounting her transponder to fix the problem.

Lisa Stanglin is also facing Transurban fines. She found out about it when a collections agency contacted her in September. The agency said she owed thousands of dollars for less than $30 in missed tolls.

She never got an invoice in the mail about the fines. Apparently, the notices went to an old address. But Lisa called Transurban and the company conceded that it had received the notices “return to sender” but didn't do anything about it before turning the fines over to collections.

Even when a transponder is not read by the gantries, Transurban says it can do a “V-Toll” if the E-ZPass account has a license plate connected. When there is no license plate on the account, Transurban sends the bill to whatever address is on file with the DMV.

Still, that doesn't address the original problem of the gantries not reading the E-ZPass.

Lisa pointed at her windshield and said, “The transponder is mounted in my car -- as you can see right here … No idea why it wouldn't register.”

But Transurban provided evidence that Lisa's transponder was not on her windshield at one point. Lisa told me that the Velcro strips peeled off, so she put it on her visor until she got it fixed.

So, it turns out that Lisa, Elise and Joe are not rare cases. Since my first story aired a week ago, I've heard from a lot of people who say their E-ZPass account is fully paid, but the transponder is just not getting read by Transurban's gantries on the beltway.

Sherri Berkman says it's a "racket" that Transurban is taking her to court for over $9,000 for just $30 of missed tolls.

Derek Bigesby calls it "insane" that he has summonses to Fairfax County Court for $3,600 over $13 of tolls. Transurban told Derek he could settle with them -- for $1,700.

Lisa-Marie Comras said she is getting “bamboozled.” Transurban is taking her to court for over $10,000 for $14 in missed tolls.

Shequita Sheffield calls it "highway robbery" that she's being fined $9,500 for $11 of tolls.

Transurban still says these cases are rare.

"About 96 percent of our customers are using the Express Lanes and not having issues -- 99.9 percent of them are solving any issues before court,” said Transurban's Pierce Coffee. “We want this to be 100 percent of people who do not have any issues. We don't want anyone to contact FOX 5 and say 'I'm having issues.'"

Well, 96 percent sounds good -- until you do the math. There are one million drivers on Transurban's 495 Express Lanes. So that means there are 4,000 people out there with these problems. And I found over a dozen of them in just one week.

Transurban suggests a few ways to avoid problems. Make sure your E-ZPass transponder is properly mounted. Your E-ZPass account must have funds in it. Be sure that your license plate is connected to your E-ZPass account so you can be billed by “V-Toll.” Also, be sure the DMV has your current address so you can get the notices in the mail before it goes to collections.

So, while Transurban said it would make an exception for Joe Mischler, the company is not budging on any of these other cases that I've brought to their attention.

I wish I could help all the people who email me daily with shocking fines from Transurban from using the 495 Express Lanes. But the best thing for viewers to do, according to Transurban, is to contact the company directly. Here's the information:

Beware, your fine could be in the mail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drivers face thousands of dollars in fines from E-ZPass 495 Express Lanes
Posted by: Driver2 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:16AM

Wrong forum.

Frickin retard.

Posted by: correct forum ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:37AM

Name calling without knowing what your saying. Is the gerbil you stuck up your ass trying to nibble its way out? Why you being an ass?

Posted by: thanks ()
Date: October 23, 2014 07:23AM

Last time I checked TrasnUrban operates in Fairfax Co. so this is the correct forum.

Its a great article and some great injustice. The judicial system is uses as a weapon by the government and large corporations against us all. these agreements we all sign without reading basically makes us slaves to the companies. No rights for class action suits is one in particular that gives them the ability to pick us of one by one. They actually use the fact they are capitalized and have legal staff to extort money from us.

'we say you owe us thousands' if its not true you have to spend thousands in legal fees.

Posted by: Just watch ()
Date: October 23, 2014 07:41AM

Just watch the beltway become even more crowded after more and more people hear this story.

Posted by: Greedy hiners want to ride free ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:23AM

Yeah, the velcro strips peeled off. There was always money in my EZ-Pass account. I moved and changed my e-mail, but Transurban should have known that.

Throw the fucking book at them.

Posted by: jungle boogie ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:50AM

I don't understand how a private company can issue fines. It seems like it would be protected by the constitution. And the fine amount would appear to be under the unusual part of 'cruel and unusual punishment' just because the fine is multiple times higher than any other traffic fine. We got corporations running prisons. What's next? Will they offer our court system to the highest bidder? How about the IRS? I really can see them run by a corp in the next ten years

Posted by: EZ Pass ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:54AM

TransUrban scumbags!!!

So why have I never had an issue with my EasyPass on the Montgomery County Mid-County Connector of the New Jersey Turnpike?

I had a friend who's credit card on file for the EasyPass expired but never used the Dulles Tool road so there were not indicators that the credit card had expired.

So TransUrban was going to charge them all sorts of $25 penalties for each use of the Hot Lanes.

Watch out, scumbag alert, TransUrban.

Posted by: Just Wait A Couple Months ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:22AM

And see the shit hit the fan with the new I-95 rip off lanes, And no more free HOV hours On lanes that are already there. The state should pull the plug on all this . And they may have too.

"Widing the beltway" Huh? Surprise Suckers.

Posted by: Uncle Freddie ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:26AM

jungle boogie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand how a private company can issue
> fines. It seems like it would be protected by the
> constitution. And the fine amount would appear to
> be under the unusual part of 'cruel and unusual
> punishment' just because the fine is multiple
> times higher than any other traffic fine. We got
> corporations running prisons. What's next? Will
> they offer our court system to the highest bidder?
> How about the IRS? I really can see them run by a
> corp in the next ten years

That's the right-wing for you. The road to serfdom doesn't turn to the left.

Posted by: Hey moron ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:31AM

EZ Pass Wrote:
> TransUrban scumbags!!!

Tell your scumbag friends not to jump on a toll road unless they actually have the tolls covered. Free-riders are nothing but shop-lifters. They will not be treated well, but they will deserve worse than what they actually get.

Posted by: LOL... ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:38AM

Just Wait A Couple Months Wrote:
> And see the shit hit the fan with the new I-95 rip
> off lanes, And no more free HOV hours On lanes
> that are already there. The state should pull the
> plug on all this . And they may have too.

They may have "too"? LOL! "Widing" may be worse, but I don't know who you think is going to be forcing the state to pull any plugs. That's just space-cadet talk. 95 is a mess and needs to be upgraded again. Move or get a different job if you don't like it.

Posted by: h99jX ()
Date: October 23, 2014 11:44AM

Hey moron Wrote:
> EZ Pass Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TransUrban scumbags!!!
>
> Tell your scumbag friends not to jump on a toll
> road unless they actually have the tolls covered.
> Free-riders are nothing but shop-lifters. They
> will not be treated well, but they will deserve
> worse than what they actually get.

Really? $17,000 fine for $36 in unpaid tolls (without notification from TransUrban) - how much worse than that should people be treated? What a troll comment...

Posted by: North ARlington Resident ()
Date: October 23, 2014 11:50AM

Whats the 495 express lanes? They are putting these express things on 95 too?

Suckas

Posted by: Uncle Sammy ()
Date: October 23, 2014 12:37PM

Uncle Freddie Wrote:
> jungle boogie Wrote:
> -----

> That's the right-wing for you. The road to
> serfdom doesn't turn to the left.

Which explains why the it's the outer loop that has more problems... always steering to the left generally results in disaster.

Taking your inane comment to its illogical extreme.... It's recognized fact that exiting from the left to the right is almost always the better choice.

Gives the nature of politics a whole new meaning.

Posted by: Lane.Meyer ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:09PM

And remember fans...

If you leave the transponder in the HOV-on position, then you can use the 495 Express Lanes for free regardless of the occupancy of your vehicle. I am approaching nearly 2 years since the 495 Express Lanes opened that I have used the lanes in this manner 5 days a week, round-trip for the full length of the lanes and I have paid no tolls, no fines and received no tickets.

You guys go ahead and keep sitting in traffic, though...

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:50PM

Uncle Freddie Wrote:
> jungle boogie Wrote:
> -----
> > I don't understand how a private company can
> issue
> > fines. It seems like it would be protected by
> the
> > constitution. And the fine amount would appear
> to
> > be under the unusual part of 'cruel and unusual
> > punishment' just because the fine is multiple
> > times higher than any other traffic fine. We
> got
> > corporations running prisons. What's next? Will
> > they offer our court system to the highest
> bidder?
> > How about the IRS? I really can see them run by
> a
> > corp in the next ten years
>
> That's the right-wing for you. The road to
> serfdom doesn't turn to the left.

Tim Kaine's administration was the one that pushed this project. I was unaware he and his Democrats were "right-wing."

Posted by: Easy Pass ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:54PM

Hey moron Wrote:
> EZ Pass Wrote:
> -----
>

Hey moron, you are a troll!

I recall what happened to my friend, first they had no intention of not covering the tolls. They had a credit card that was one of many that was hacked and they bank proactively replaced it. They forgot that this was the card tied to their EasyPass. Not sure why the EasyPass account will not automatically notify you by email, but anyway unlike the Dulles Toll Road that has the lights to alert you that there is a low balance, this is not a feature of the HOT Lanes or many of the high speed toll readers.

So not sure why TransUrban cannot work with the EasyPass people to get a message to you??

Fines after fines after fines, this is how TransUrban plans on making money, not by collecting tolls for vehicles. It is pretty obvious what is going on here.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: October 23, 2014 01:58PM

jungle boogie Wrote:
> I don't understand how a private company can issue
> fines. It seems like it would be protected by the
> constitution. And the fine amount would appear to
> be under the unusual part of 'cruel and unusual
> punishment' just because the fine is multiple
> times higher than any other traffic fine. We got
> corporations running prisons. What's next? Will
> they offer our court system to the highest bidder?
> How about the IRS? I really can see them run by a
> corp in the next ten years

Virginia statute: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+33.2-503

Part of it reads as follows:

"The HOT lanes operator may impose and collect an administrative fee in addition to the unpaid toll so as to recover the expenses of collecting the unpaid toll, which administrative fee shall be reasonably related to the actual cost of collecting the unpaid toll and not exceed $100 per violation. The operator of the vehicle shall pay the unpaid tolls and any administrative fee detailed in a notice or invoice issued by a HOT lanes operator. If paid within 30 days of notification, the administrative fee shall not exceed $25. "

Notice it's PER VIOLATION. So if, for example, you took four trips in a single day without an E-ZPass, that puts you on the hook for four "administrative fees" (one per trip, as each trip without an E-ZPass is a "violation"). It's a big difference from the "Toll-by-Plate" option in the Miami area, where you receive one bill per month with a single administrative fee.

Posted by: Burke Brat ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:41PM

Hey moron Wrote:
> EZ Pass Wrote:
> -----
>

I would agree if it was deliberate, but there is a problem with the system with Excessive charges. My wife travels every day along the hot lanes, after the data breach by Home Depot we got issued new cards, well if you have EZ Pass on that card you need to remember to update it with EZ pass, if not a few months later you get bills in the mail. There is no way to tell your transponder didn't work.

Posted by: RTFM ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:18PM

Lane.Meyer Wrote:
> And remember fans...
>
> If you leave the transponder in the HOV-on
> position, then you can use the 495 Express Lanes
> for free regardless of the occupancy of your
> vehicle. I am approaching nearly 2 years since the
> 495 Express Lanes opened that I have used the
> lanes in this manner 5 days a week, round-trip for
> the full length of the lanes and I have paid no
> tolls, no fines and received no tickets.
>
> You guys go ahead and keep sitting in traffic,
> though...

Correct. But you can't do anything about people who don't mount the thingy properly or don't notify everyone of their change of address. I'm not thrilled with Transurban's collection tactics or exponentially escalating fees but the installation and rules aren't too hard to follow to stay out of trouble. Don't assume anything about how it works, follow the directions. Or you could just run in "HOV MODE" and avoid most of the problems. Also, check the EZPass and 495expresslanes websites now and then if you are a regular user to be sure you aren't racking up unknown fees and tolls before it gets out of hand.

Date: October 23, 2014 07:18PM

RTFM Wrote:
> Lane.Meyer Wrote:
> -----
> > And remember fans...
> >
> > If you leave the transponder in the HOV-on
> > position, then you can use the 495 Express
> Lanes
> > for free regardless of the occupancy of your
> > vehicle. I am approaching nearly 2 years since
> the
> > 495 Express Lanes opened that I have used the
> > lanes in this manner 5 days a week, round-trip
> for
> > the full length of the lanes and I have paid no
> > tolls, no fines and received no tickets.
> >
> > You guys go ahead and keep sitting in traffic,
> > though...
>
> Correct. But you can't do anything about people
> who don't mount the thingy properly or don't
> notify everyone of their change of address. I'm
> not thrilled with Transurban's collection tactics
> or exponentially escalating fees but the
> installation and rules aren't too hard to follow
> to stay out of trouble. Don't assume anything
> about how it works, follow the directions. Or you
> could just run in "HOV MODE" and avoid most of the
> problems. Also, check the EZPass and
> 495expresslanes websites now and then if you are a
> regular user to be sure you aren't racking up
> unknown fees and tolls before it gets out of hand.

Thank you, RTFM...yeah, there's no getting around mounting the transponder properly. As was stated above, if you don't mount it properly then you're not being read properly going through the gantry.

If you're not being read properly and your plates are in the EZPass database...they'll ding you just for the toll.

If you don't have an EZ Pass transponder and you go through the 495 Express Lanes gantries, then you're getting billed for the toll AND the collection fee. Although, I believe I read somewhere that if you are aware that you went through the gantry without an EZ Pass then you can proactively reach out to TransUrban and pay the toll minus the collection fee on their website. I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of people have done this. I suspect...less than 5% of violators.

Posted by: ..... ()
Date: October 23, 2014 07:36PM

I pop on fake plates every morning and afternoon, drive the speed limit and don't pay one penny. 2 years on now.

eat a dick.

Date: October 23, 2014 09:24PM

..... Wrote:
> I pop on fake plates every morning and afternoon,
> drive the speed limit and don't pay one penny. 2
> years on now.
>
> eat a dick.

Ah yes...well played. WELL PLAYED, sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq3-wA2OFjw

Posted by: kev ()
Date: October 24, 2014 10:24AM

..... Wrote:
> I pop on fake plates every morning and afternoon,
> drive the speed limit and don't pay one penny. 2
> years on now.
>
> eat a dick.

Are you aware of the penalties/charges for using fake plates? If you can't do the time don't do the crime.

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: October 24, 2014 01:00PM

kev Wrote:
> ..... Wrote:
> -----
> > I pop on fake plates every morning and
> afternoon,
> > drive the speed limit and don't pay one penny.
> 2
> > years on now.
> >
> > eat a dick.
>
>
> Are you aware of the penalties/charges for using
> fake plates? If you can't do the time don't do the
> crime.

If you don't speed, don't commit a moving violation and don't get in an accident...how is one getting caught exactly?

Posted by: Private vs public ()
Date: October 24, 2014 01:04PM

I thought gun lovers like you heralded the private industry as being efficient and streamlined and better than the government.

You reap what you sow douchebag. You could have just had a 10 cent increase in gas tax which would cost you 50 bucks a year, but instead we get tolled, or atleast you do.

Private industry is efficient... efficient at taking your money and not being accountable to good practice.

Posted by: Pissed off american ()
Date: October 28, 2014 03:34PM

Posted by: Pissed ()
Date: October 28, 2014 03:39PM

I had a ez pass and missed the letters, when I called they said "we didn't pick up your ez pass but see it in the photos but you need to pay the fines anyways" Before court I settled for about 2000 I had a ez pass in good standing and 495 express said it was their bad. Transurban is not a American company but the are rapeing US citizens, we need to get more media involved and start some kind of class action.

Posted by: ppkNT ()
Date: October 28, 2014 04:10PM

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/26851755/drivers-face-thousands-of-dollars-in-fines-from-e-zpass-495-express-lanes

this just confirms foxdc is run by niggers stealing from nva

the are spreading the rumor such a fine is possible and putting a gun to your head to collect is plausible

they are facists. and it's clear they need to be in prison for threatening the public.

Posted by: jCtGD ()
Date: October 28, 2014 04:11PM

dc police !

i have a gun you paid for ! hand me your house and car or i'll shoot and if your not dead you'll be in prison for attacking an officer !

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.