HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chris Carneal: Founder of Boosterthon
Posted by: Dixon Hill ()
Date: October 22, 2014 12:33PM

According to his LinkedIn profile, Chris Carneal attended Samford University and The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Boosterthon is the only "job" he has ever had.

This man is making a lot of money off of the exploitation and abuse of children. His qualifications are not at all impressive. Fairfax County has been had by this guy, plain and simple.

It is unfortunate that the County does not have a centralized inspector general function, that would be the perfect place to complain about Carneal and Boosterthon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chris Carneal: Founder of Boosterthon
Posted by: DPLUF ()
Date: October 22, 2014 12:41PM

Imagine how much more money he's making than you. Capitalism! Consume, baby!

Posted by: You are just jealous ()
Date: October 22, 2014 01:21PM

Fundraising companies are in the business of making money. Boosterthon isn't any different than Sally Foster, etc. Why else are you paying $20 for a small box of candy that you could buy for $10 at CVS? Because they want to make money, too.

There IS an "Inspector General" for Fcps. It is called the School Board Auditor. If you think there is a fraud, waste, or abuse issue, turn it in. However, if people contract with a company, know they are going to keep about half, they do what is in the contract, the principal allows them to do this during school hours, I don't think the problem is with the Boosterthon company. The problem is with FCPS, and that can also be turned in. Children aren't supposed to feel bad or feel left out if they don't participate in a fundraiser. I personally question the time taken away from instruction and recess (kids are entitled to play outside) for the fundraising. The 5810 is new, so they might be grandfathered on running the money (which is now clearly required) and possibly the contract through school accounts and approval channels. The issue of contract management for something like this is still not clear. WHO is the sponsor, since all this goes on during the school day?

Posted by: you can try this out ()
Date: October 22, 2014 01:26PM

Ask and you shall receive.
Attachments:
FCPS - School BoardFraudWasteAbuse.htm

Posted by: Laurence Einuis' Evil Twin ()
Date: October 22, 2014 02:31PM

DPLUF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine how much more money he's making than you.
> Capitalism! Consume, baby!

Do you think making money by mistreating children is a good thing? I feel sorry for you. Boosterthon should be shut down. Chris Carneal can go and sell Amway.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 22, 2014 02:51PM

If there wasn't a demand for Boosterthon, the company wouldn't still be in business. Don't blame Chris. Blame the people who hired him.

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: October 22, 2014 03:36PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> If there wasn't a demand for Boosterthon, the
> company wouldn't still be in business. Don't
> blame Chris. Blame the people who hired him.

That is exactly what I said in earlier posts. He sells a service. Somebody bought it. Who was that? The children are doing this during the school day. Generally that means something is school-sponsored. Did the school system sign the contracts or did the PTA/PTO officers sign them? This is very important. Somebody put the children in the position of being used for this. The school system was involved either way, because the only way they can get into the school buildings is with the permission of the principals.

Oh joy.

Posted by: I give up ()
Date: October 22, 2014 03:46PM

So we have principals who are apparently too stupid to know better being deluded by child manipulator Chris Carneal and his scam organization, Boosterthon?

Time to replace the principals OR subject them to oversight.

Time to demand accountability from Boosterthon.

The principals can go back to teaching. As another poster said, Carneal can sell Amway.

Posted by: Exactly ()
Date: October 22, 2014 03:56PM

It is up to the principals to weed through this stuff. Yes, they need training and oversight on this. If they were fired every time they made a mistake you would have turnover like every week. Boosterthon is accountable. Probably. As long as they did what was in the contract, they are golden.

Does anybody know who signed the contracts? That is the million dollar question.

Posted by: Jude the Obscure ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:09PM

I just emailed the principal of White Oak. Let's see what he has to say.

Posted by: Wanna bet? ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:18PM

My guess is that they have issued a gag order on this and will have DCCO making a statement full of vague comments very soon.

I think the contracts were signed by parents. The money showed up on the white oaks PTA budget. If the principal contracts, the money goes through a school account.

Thee are a lot of lessons to be learned with this. They have been having a lot of issues with the usage of parent support groups. They were signing contracts for employees to help with school trips, etc.

They school system is responsible for anything that happens in the building.

Posted by: waste of time and breath ()
Date: October 22, 2014 04:49PM

Dixon Hill Wrote:
> According to his LinkedIn profile, Chris Carneal
> attended Samford University and The Southern
> Baptist Theological Seminary. Boosterthon is the
> only "job" he has ever had.
>
> This man is making a lot of money off of the
> exploitation and abuse of children. His
> qualifications are not at all impressive. Fairfax
> County has been had by this guy, plain and simple.
>
>
> It is unfortunate that the County does not have a
> centralized inspector general function, that would
> be the perfect place to complain about Carneal and
> Boosterthon.

Hey Dixon Hill. You have to much time on your hands. You should direct your energies into activities that are more constructive, like saving the whales. No seriously, go save the whales!

Posted by: Sleuthing father ()
Date: October 22, 2014 05:41PM

If you do a little armchair research you will find that parents in other areas also complain about what amounts to competition for toys. They also have crying children who want their parents to pledge $25 a lap and when they say no, the floodgates open. I think they meant the prizes to be a good thing but they should be given at the end, and no public announcements made.

Posted by: ) ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:11PM

waste of time and breath Wrote:
> Dixon Hill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > According to his LinkedIn profile, Chris
> Carneal
> > attended Samford University and The Southern
> > Baptist Theological Seminary. Boosterthon is
> the
> > only "job" he has ever had.
> >
> > This man is making a lot of money off of the
> > exploitation and abuse of children. His
> > qualifications are not at all impressive.
> Fairfax
> > County has been had by this guy, plain and
> simple.
> >
> >
> > It is unfortunate that the County does not have
> a
> > centralized inspector general function, that
> would
> > be the perfect place to complain about Carneal
> and
> > Boosterthon.
>
>
> Hey Dixon Hill. You have to much time on your
> hands. You should direct your energies into
> activities that are more constructive, like saving
> the whales. No seriously, go save the whales!

Poor Dixon.hated and despised.this must be the person who brought these people in.

Posted by: Facts On File ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:39PM

It is well documented that the Boosterthon people monitor this web site and make positive comments about Boosterthon.

Posted by: All's fair!!!!!!! ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:51PM

Where is it documented????

Posted by: waste of time and breath ()
Date: October 22, 2014 08:55PM

It's a boosterthon big brother conspiracy! Boosterthon is going to over the WORLD!

Dixon, go save the dolphins, if you don't like the whales.

Posted by: ) ()
Date: October 22, 2014 09:17PM

Poooooooor Dixon.

Posted by: Hyena ()
Date: October 22, 2014 09:31PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> If there wasn't a demand for Boosterthon, the
> company wouldn't still be in business. Don't
> blame Chris. Blame the people who hired him.

If there weren't a demand for suicide bombers, they too would go out of business.
It is time to declare a war on Boosterthon. You;re either with us or against us.

Posted by: WAR! ()
Date: October 22, 2014 11:12PM

WAR!!

WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Red herring ()
Date: October 22, 2014 11:18PM

I'm wondering if this Dixon Hill fellow is really a schoolboard member bombarding forums with his Boosterthon rants to distract fairfax residents from looking at the REAL problems present in fcps.

Look closer at fcps. Boosterthon is the least of your worries, Dixon.

Posted by: Dixon is a chick ()
Date: October 23, 2014 12:55AM

My guess is Dixon is a chick. I would guess 25-35 years old. Not terribly smart, based upon the "centralized inspector general function" comment.

Posted by: thon booster ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:12AM

I work for another county school system in the area. We have used Boosterthon for years and had nothing but positive results. Yes they make a profit because they are a well run business that provides an outstanding service.

Posted by: && ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:47AM

^^^^^Is this a boosterthon worker? Do your kids cry, too?

Posted by: ccccc ()
Date: October 23, 2014 06:30AM

My children's school also participates in Boosterthon. I donate directly to the school. I can't believe the parents that are complaining because their kid isn't getting toys and crying. That's life! I choose not to donate to the school through them and understand that my kids won't get the cheap toys! The kids initially are a little disappointed but believe me they get over it. I don't think it's right to ask the school to pull all the toys because it makes some kids upset.

Posted by: Stefen ()
Date: October 23, 2014 06:57AM

I don't think the toy issue is a matter of the children being spoiled brats who think that everybody should get toys, or parents who can't cope with life. When you single out kids and hand them prizes in front of the other kids for cooperating with the fundraisers, children take it as they did something wrong or didn't do something right with something they associate with school. They are too young to grasp the concept that this is optional, particularly when classes are openly competing and this is being presented as a school-wide project. This puts a lot of pressure on them, and there shouldn't be pressure with fundraising.

Get the professional fundraisers out of the classrooms and quit polluting the kids' minds with this stuff. Why are they allowed in the schools? They don't work for the school system. How much instructional and recess time was taken up with this drivel?

Posted by: Son of LOL ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:11AM

thon booster Wrote:
> I work for another county school system in the
> area. We have used Boosterthon for years and had
> nothing but positive results. Yes they make a
> profit because they are a well run business that
> provides an outstanding service.

Wow, a Boosterthon employee up at 3am. Must be a hard life, thinking of ways to manipulate and belittle kids. No wonder you can't sleep. Chris Carneal must be very proud of your efforts here.

Posted by: ; ()
Date: October 23, 2014 09:27AM

Maybe it is somebody who works nights or is up with a baby and they are so sleep-deprived they are not thinking clearly.......

Posted by: Fatty like candy ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:31AM

Boosterthon is much different from the candy fundraisers etc. At least then you get candy! I'm happy to just write a check and be done. The in the schools for almost two weeks is too much.

I'm sure he's a lovely man and his employees are too, and I'm jealous I didn't think of the idea first. What a great scam.

We just finished the one at our school. They raised the exact same amount (within $500) of our please-send-money fundraiser last year. Only difference is this time we have to give up half of it.

Posted by: Hearsay Hearsay ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:32AM

Are you SURE if you donate directly to the school Boosterthon isn't taking a cut? I have heard that if you donate within a certain amount of time of the event they still take it. Have also heard they insist on being the only big fundraiser for the semester. Can anyone confirm? I have not seen a contract so it's all hearsay.

Posted by: 123456789 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:37AM

The irony of all this is that the principals have been taking the public money we have been giving them for things for schools, checking into luxury hotels, going to fine restaurants, buying catered lunches galore, outfitting their staff, golfing, going to the Rotary Club, etc. And then they let tiny children be put into this position. Crying because they don't have enough pledges, watching their friends get prizes when they don't, imposing on their parents' service providers to sponsor them so they won't feel left out, etc., so that the PTA can buy their schools stuff that could have been purchased from the public money we gave them.

Think about it. :--(.

Posted by: Sounds like baloney ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:47AM

Hearsay Hearsay Wrote:
> Are you SURE if you donate directly to the school
> Boosterthon isn't taking a cut? I have heard that
> if you donate within a certain amount of time of
> the event they still take it. Have also heard they
> insist on being the only big fundraiser for the
> semester. Can anyone confirm? I have not seen a
> contract so it's all hearsay.

How could they get the money from the school if it just a general donation?? The principal would have to write them a check. They would have to pull the school accounts and get their legal people to demand it. I seriously doubt it.
How can they limit anybody from doing any other big fundraisers? Do they have a non-competition clause in the contracts? Why would anybody sign something like that? This all sounds like rumors gone wild.
Somebody pull a contract from their non-profit and prove it.

Posted by: 987654321 ()
Date: October 23, 2014 10:52AM

Superintendent Garza's Next Listening Tour to Be Held November 11 at Robinson Secondary School

Superintendent Karen K. Garza invites students, parents, employees, and community members to join her at any of the upcoming Listening Tour meetings scheduled for the 2014-15 school year.

Garza will provide an update on the latest happenings in Fairfax County schools and listen to ideas, comments, and questions from the audience.

The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 11, at 6:30 p.m., at Robinson Secondary School.

A complete schedule of dates and locations is available at http://www.fcps.edu/news/listening-2014-15.shtml. Anyone planning to attend the listening tour is requested to sign up online and indicate if an interpreter is needed.

Posted by: Parents-do your homework! ()
Date: October 23, 2014 12:57PM

I have been watching this thread and the White Oaks thread. It seems like there are a lot of people on both sides of the fence with this. If anybody decides to go to the meeting mentioned above (or approach a staff member) and discuss this, here is some stuff to read. I think this can be discussed with the respect that the PTA/PTO groups and staff deserve. They work very hard. Mad as some of you are, screaming at and belittling any of these people is inappropriate. I am reasonably familiar with the school regulations due to another project I was involved in. I can't make the meeting.

The first thing to remember, ALL FUNDRAISERS IN PUBLIC SCHOOL, NO MATTER WHO THE SPONSOR IS, ARE OPTIONAL. You have many years to go. Don't ever forget that. It gets very hot in the high school years. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS. This also applies to donations to Booster groups that support classes. You don't have to give them anything you don't want to.

reg 5810- Page 9-Any revenue generated by a PTA, co-sponsored, or Booster club event that involves student participation is supposed to be receipted into the School Activity funds. This is a brand new regulation effective this Fall. Before, the old one gave the principal the option, which conflicted with the 1370.

Reg 1370.6-(from 2008) Page 2 If the non-school-sponsored fund-raising activity involves student participation OR the principal determines that funds must be receipted into the School Activity fund records (which the 5810 mandates) then ALL provisions of this regulation are applicable. This is where it gets sticky. It looks like the contract requirements might only apply to school-sponsored fundraisers. Hard to say, because the other paragraph says ALL provisions of this regulation are applicable. Page 4-F.1.-Group competition that puts pressure on individuals to participate is prohibited (which the publicly presented toy prizes and class challenges could be construed as). I think they need to revise this regulation.

Page 2 VIIB. No student shall otherwise be excused from a scheduled class for the purpose of planning or participating in a fund-raising activity. But, the first sentence talks about school-sponsored fund-raising activities.

page3 C. 3. If the fund-raising activity is being conducted by the school or a SCHOOL-SPONSORED organization (is PTA school sponsored? I think they are talking about a school club), the school shall maintain a record of all sales, and all receipts shall be accounted for in the school activity fund account. At the completion of the fund-raising activity, a payment shall be made to the vendor, less the profit due to the school.

Now, you need to look at the issue of sponsorship. Attached is an updated publication from Risk Management that helps to clarify sponsorship. Generally, if something is during the school day, uses school staff, etc., it is supposed to be sponsored by the school. I don't understand the issue of co-sponsorship. It seems to be like being a little bit pregnant. Somebody has to be the sponsor and have the control of the contract and hold the liability. And if money is running into a school account (because students are involved), I personally think the contracts and receipts should be with the money, which means the events should be school-sponsored. That makes the whole thing easily accessible via FOIA. This also relieves the parents from the pressures of reviewing contracts and assuming liability. The school system has a whole department and legal team to do that, which we pay for. It seems to me that if children were being taken out of class, recess was being cut into, and the run was being done during the school day, the SCHOOL should have had the control over the contract. They hold the liability for anything during the school day for the most part anyway. I know PTA and the schools have a little different relationship than they do with Boosters. However, the principal does not have access to their bank accounts, right? So, they are indeed separate from the school system. I think the parent groups might have been signing the contracts. How can they obligate children during the school day and obligate these professional fundraisers to enter classrooms and deal with the children and assume the liability for all that? They are volunteers. Obviously the school system is also actively involved with allowing these people access to the children and the building.

The school system is looking closely at their relationships with parent groups. They have been working on a lot of issues for four years now. A lot of this information came out due to this. Have fun scratching your heads over all this.
Attachments:
R5810.pdf
R1370.pdf
sponsorhipRM-34.pdf

Posted by: Yyhgt ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:06PM

Let's put everything over here to give white oaks a break since they didn't do it this year.

Posted by: but still ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:08PM

It would be a good idea to get the White Oaks contract. Let's see if the contracts are the same. We should also find out WHY they decided not to do it again (good decision, probably some good information attached to it).

Posted by: PTA records ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:12PM

How do you plan to get the white oaks contract? It is probably not subject to foia. The money ran through the PTA, so they have the contract. They are supposed to release information to members, but if people are pissed, they might not. That is why the school system moved their records and money out of music booster clubs and into their bank accounts and computer records.

Posted by: PTA RECORDS ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:23PM

You probably can't get ANY PTA records to compare them. See what the problem is?

Posted by: pta records ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:31PM

About the only way you could get a copy of the contracts via FOIA is if the principals also had to sign consent for the Boosterthon staff to come to the school and interact with the students. That would make them public record, because a public official's name would be on it in their official capacity. There is the off-chance that they signed the contract and allowed the money to go through the PTA accounts, which of course is a bad idea but they did more ridiculous stuff than that over the years. Good luck.

bareaves@fcps.edu is your FOIA contact.

Posted by: transfer ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:35PM

shell game Wrote:
> It is not acceptable for the School Board to tell
> people to take this up with the schools. What's
> needed is a consistent policy. Given the
> misconduct associated with Boosterthon, the
> policy, for the time being should be: NO
> BOOSTERTHON.
>
> If the School Board can't see this, then we need a
> new Board.

They are required to turn it over to the school staff. If you can't come to terms with them after going up the whole darn chain, then try again.

Posted by: sleuthing father ()
Date: October 23, 2014 02:58PM

I did a google and found some stuff on topix.com (Alpharetta, GA). The site keeps crashing. The gossip is that the teachers "keep" 10% of the pledges from their classroom (don't know how they do that) there is a $2000 deposit, and they reserve the right to audit your records for a year to make sure that they received all of their money. They ran into the same problems with conflicts with PTA guidelines about using children for fundraising, interrupting class time (state laws), and crying children. They also found cases where the kids were told to inflate their lap count to get more money. For everybody. There were complaints about using and manipulating children.

Posted by: a straight path ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:29PM

If the schools claim they didn't do the contracts, ask the PTA. If the PTA will not produce the contracts, ask under what authority the PTA brings in people of uncertain qualifications and background into the schools. Then, call social services on the PTA for fostering child abuse.

Then, raise hell with the school board for letting this happen. Vote them all out of office. They, along with Chris Carneal, can hang out at Barnes and Noble trying to sign people up for Amway.

Posted by: Another idea ()
Date: October 23, 2014 03:59PM

Don't all pta's fall under the state charter? You could probably contact somebody at the state level for some advice. CPS probably isn't going to take on a PTA. It does seem really strange that the school system would allow a fundraiser to go on during school hours and try to pass the buck. You tend to get passed around with the school system. How do these people obtain access to the children? They show up at the front door of the school, the school staff greets them, screens them, gives them a pass. They allow them to enter the classrooms. Pta's don't have the authority to allow that. What kind of discussion did they have w/ their principals? You can also try the sb auditor. This is not in line with the school regulations. That falls under their department.

Posted by: Va PTA ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:01PM

1-866-482-5437

Posted by: lmgtfy ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:30PM

Many of the school PTAs have their budgets on their website which shows the money is still going to them and not the school.

A lot of them post their meeting minutes too. Be sure to read the ones the month AFTER the Boosterthon happened at their school if you have a lot of spare time and/or are considering bringing this racket to your school.

Posted by: yes. ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:41PM

I was thinking the same thing about the minutes. Page 16 of the 5810 (see above) says the front office is supposed to get copies of all parent group minutes. that is new for this year. It was in the old 5810 as "should" have the minutes. If you can't get the minutes from the pta, try foia-ing the front office or just stopping by. They are supposed to have them in the front office. "Supposed."

It also says the principal has to approve all fundraisers, and that funds raised in the name of the school will become the property of the school. So, how does it work if you are raising funds for the non-profit, which you SAY you are going to give to the school?

The White Oaks PTA president might actually talk to you and tell you why they changed their minds. Who knows. Always worth a try.

Good luck.

Posted by: freebies ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:42PM

Stenwoodpta.org

Enjoy their meeting minutes. It's all starting to make sense - free lunches, free junkets. THAT is how they get in the door.

http://stenwoodpta.org/Portals/0/DocumentsSecure/ExecBoard/Meeting/January%202014%20Stenwood%20PTA%20Executive%20Board%20Meeting%20Final%20Minutes.pdf

Posted by: UThumbSucker ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:42PM

Dixon Hill Wrote:
> According to his LinkedIn profile, Chris Carneal
> attended Samford University and The Southern
> Baptist Theological Seminary. Boosterthon is the
> only "job" he has ever had.
>
> This man is making a lot of money off of the
> exploitation and abuse of children. His
> qualifications are not at all impressive. Fairfax
> County has been had by this guy, plain and simple.
>
>
> It is unfortunate that the County does not have a
> centralized inspector general function, that would
> be the perfect place to complain about Carneal and
> Boosterthon.

Just like a Libertard to ssy something like that. Commie

Posted by: Free lunch, but no free shirt. ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:43PM

"...agreed on a contract for next year that would give us 54% if we raise > $50,000 like this year (instead of the 52% this year), 53% if we raise > $40,000, and 52% if
we raise > $30,000. ..

o In future, may tie an ad in the directory to a logo on the t-shirts,
would help pay for t-shirts in the 2015/16 school year Boosterthon race."

Wait - they take half and don't even pay for the shirts!? I thought their fee covered "everything?"

Posted by: info please ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:50PM

Free lunch, but no free shirt. Wrote:
> "...agreed on a contract for next year that would
> give us 54% if we raise > $50,000 like this year
> (instead of the 52% this year), 53% if we raise >
> $40,000, and 52% if
> we raise > $30,000. ..
>
> o In future, may tie an ad in the directory to a
> logo on the t-shirts,
> would help pay for t-shirts in the 2015/16 school
> year Boosterthon race."
>
> Wait - they take half and don't even pay for the
> shirts!? I thought their fee covered "everything?"

Which school is this?

Posted by: sweet!!!! ()
Date: October 23, 2014 04:50PM

freebies Wrote:
> Stenwoodpta.org
>
> Enjoy their meeting minutes. It's all starting to
> make sense - free lunches, free junkets. THAT is
> how they get in the door.
>
> http://stenwoodpta.org/Portals/0/DocumentsSecure/E
> xecBoard/Meeting/January%202014%20Stenwood%20PTA%2
> 0Executive%20Board%20Meeting%20Final%20Minutes.pdf

that didn't take long. So they fly Board officers down to Atlanta all expenses paid to show them what it is all about. Is that $5 million of insurance required or $5000 per occurrence? the sponsoring organization has to supply the insurance. They said they were having trouble getting enough. If this is during the school day, this probably falls under each child's personal health plan or a liability policy for the school system. but, since pta is the sponsor, they are saddled with covering their rear ends. this is very typical of parent groups. They are dumped on a LOT.

Posted by: XcJvV ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:02PM

Laurence Einuis' Evil Twin Wrote:
> DPLUF Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Imagine how much more money he's making than
> you.
> > Capitalism! Consume, baby!
>
> Do you think making money by mistreating children
> is a good thing? I feel sorry for you. Boosterthon
> should be shut down. Chris Carneal can go and sell
> Amway.

Go fuck yourself. Go bitch at whatever county representative decided this was a good idea. Leave this dude alone, if there's an issue with how he makes money, he'll run out of PAYING CUSTOMERS.

Posted by: Smoking ()
Date: October 23, 2014 05:24PM

This thread has had almost 500 hits in the last 24 hrs.

Posted by: WWJ34 ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:08PM

Laurence Einuis owns a major share in Boosterthon.
Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Posted by: Boosterthon Prom? ()
Date: October 24, 2014 02:33PM

WWJ34 Wrote:
> Laurence Einuis owns a major share in
> Boosterthon.
> Just thought I'd throw that out there...

That explains the special "Make Out And Touch" song used for the prom, as well as new arrangements of a couple of Village People tunes.

Posted by: WHjVw ()
Date: October 24, 2014 04:15PM

And, of course, the yearly Judy Garland medleys performed by the band.

Posted by: we're not gonna take it ()
Date: February 19, 2015 03:32PM

Fairfax Pride-BOOSTERTHON FREE IN 2015

Kiss my Tau Omega, Brett Trapp!

Posted by: Carneal will hire anyone ()
Date: February 19, 2015 08:40PM

As long as they are a raving evangelical.

Man, Boosterthon will hire anyone! Look at some typical educational backgrounds off of LinkedIn:

Logos University - “Christian” accredited only

Attended University of Georgia, but did not graduate

Liberty University

Focus Leadership Institute - “Designed to challenge and equip followers of Jesus Christ”

I'm sure each and every one of them meets FCPS standards to come into the classroom and teach. I'm sure each and every one of them is trained to address the multicultural student body here in Fairfax.

Unlike certain other posters, I'm not naming names. These people have enough trouble, having these poor backgrounds.

Posted by: Chris Carneal and Boosterthon ()
Date: February 20, 2015 03:49PM

There is a complete lack of transparency with Boosterthon. The company was founded by an evangelical with aspirations of being some sort of televangelist, and it is operated by a man who not only spent five years to get a degree in English, but he also presided over the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, which has been banned at many schools for abuses.

Ladies and gentlemen, these individuals, Chris Carneal and Brett Trapp are NOT who you want teaching morals to your children.

The solution is clear. Boosterthon must be banned until the serious problems with it have been rectified.

Posted by: brainexploded ()
Date: February 20, 2015 04:44PM

I was wondering why all the irrational attacks on Boosterthon during the last year. Now I see why: anti-Christian/anti-Conservative bigotry. It didn't make any sense prior but now I understand.

Posted by: maybe rational ()
Date: February 20, 2015 04:54PM

I can see a problem if he tries to promote a Christian agenda in the public schools. Seems like maybe he and his guys should stick to Christian schools until they can come up with a religion-free curriculum.

Posted by: brainexploded ()
Date: February 20, 2015 05:00PM

maybe rational Wrote:
> I can see a problem if he tries to promote a
> Christian agenda in the public schools. Seems like
> maybe he and his guys should stick to Christian
> schools until they can come up with a
> religion-free curriculum.

Sure, but that is not the reason that was being put forward.

Posted by: Samford University ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:51PM

Chris Carneal attended Samford University, a second rate, authoritarian, religious school.

The school more or less insists you live on campus-so you can be indoctrinated. This is clearly reflected in the way Carneal operates his scam company, Boosterthon:

The university seeks to foster a spirit of community, benefiting from the full participation of each campus citizen. The student and the community are best served when the student is available to be involved in campus activities. Experience confirms that students who reside on campus are more likely to be fully engaged in their educational experiences, more likely to establish strong interpersonal relationships, and more likely to learn from group and interpersonal interaction.

To maximize the totality of the undergraduate experience, it is recommended that students live on campus until the completion of the bachelor’s degree. Unmarried undergraduate day students under age 21 are required to live on campus unless they live at home with a parent or guardian.

Students who have lived on campus for four academic terms (fall and spring semesters), who are beginning their fifth semester, who have a minimum of 2.5 cumulative grade point average, and who are in good standing with the university, may petition the Office of Residence Life for permission to reside off campus.

Students with senior status may live off campus without petition. Undergraduate students at least 22 years of age and graduate students are assigned university housing on a space-available basis after undergraduates are assigned.

During the summer and Jan terms, housing is limited to students enrolled at Samford University during the term, or to students required to be in residence to participate in university-approved activities. During fall and spring semesters, housing is limited to full-time students or to part-time students with special needs. On-campus housing is not available to students over 24 years of age without permission from the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

Posted by: The truth comes out! ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:57PM

"I was wondering why all the irrational attacks on Boosterthon during the last year. Now I see why: anti-Christian/anti-Conservative bigotry. It didn't make any sense prior but now I understand."

BINGO!

Posted by: A place for everything ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:14PM

The truth comes out! Wrote:
> "I was wondering why all the irrational attacks on
> Boosterthon during the last year. Now I see why:
> anti-Christian/anti-Conservative bigotry. It
> didn't make any sense prior but now I
> understand."
>
> BINGO!

Christianity belongs in Christian schools. Boosterthon has no place in public schools.

Posted by: go shovel ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:33PM

Shut up and go shovel.

Posted by: the connection ()
Date: February 21, 2015 03:47PM

Posted by: Some help, please? ()
Date: February 21, 2015 09:15PM

Did Chris Carneal actually graduate from Samford? His LinkedIn is a little vague.

Posted by: Who cares? ()
Date: February 22, 2015 01:18AM

" Did Chris Carneal actually graduate from Samford? His LinkedIn is a little vague."

Who gives a shit? Do you really have nothing better to do with your time?

Posted by: FCPS standards ()
Date: February 22, 2015 01:54PM

Who cares? Wrote:
> " Did Chris Carneal actually graduate from
> Samford? His LinkedIn is a little vague."
>
> Who gives a shit? Do you really have nothing
> better to do with your time?

Do you want unqualified people teaching our children? If so, support Boosterthon.

Posted by: Crazy people ()
Date: February 22, 2015 06:01PM

You're a nutjob. It's a fundraiser and character program. They go into class for 10 mins a day to teacher a fun character lesson and keep the kids pumped up about the fundraiser. Hardly a conspiracy. Get a life

Posted by: how to do it ()
Date: February 22, 2015 06:45PM

All kids whose parents want them in Boosterthon can be marched off somewhere for 10 minutes to hear the Carneal propaganda. Those who do not remain in class and learn. The Boosterthon kids' parents can hire tutors to help them make up what they don't learn.

The fun run and assembly should be held off school premises outside of school hours. Then let's see how many people show up and pledge.

About all Brett Trapp would be good for is playing Otter in an Animal House remake. There's probably a Game of Thrones role for Chris Carneal as a follower of the High Sparrow.

Just close Boosterthon down, now.

Posted by: Keep on ()
Date: February 23, 2015 01:52AM

I'll bet you all are the same people that don't volunteer at your kids school. You just complain about everything that everyone else does.

You can keep complaining, and keep working yourself up acting like it's some conspiracy theory. Thing is, Boosterthon won't shut down...way too many people like what they offer. But if it makes you happy, keep complaining, and you'll keep getting ignored by your school and PTA that are used to complainters like you.

Posted by: a parent speaks! ()
Date: February 23, 2015 12:32PM

"The Boosterthon folks take over the school and inject themselves into so many pieces of the school day," said Karen Zatz, whose two children attend Fry Elementary School in Naperville. "(They are) playing with kids, eating lunch with them, and I think that's a purposeful manipulation. I also personally don't think it's the responsibility of very young children to fund-raise for their PTA. Parents are the ones who should be fundraising, not my 6-year-old."

Posted by: Where's Carneal's Response? ()
Date: February 23, 2015 02:05PM

The Boosterthon Fun Run is not fun for families. The message sent to our kids is that they should be paid for exercise, feel guilty if they don’t get money from family, and that charity comes in the form of a promotional speaker stealing classroom time.

Our family gladly donates each year to many charities. Not once did I experience any of our chosen charities guilt tripping me into crying because I could’t give a desired amount. My third grader cries each night that we don’t allow her to call and beg family members for their hard earned money or their barely surviving SS check.

We support our schools!

We would happily and willingly write a check to PTO in which 100% goes to the school instead of 50% or less.

This Boosterthon makes me so upset and frustrated. We want to teach our children that it is rewarding to help a charity if able, and that exercise is a daily must for overall health, not just for 9 days.

It’s upsetting that the school, although hard up for money, would allow Boosterthon to interrupt sacred and vital classroom time to attempt to fatten Boosterthons pockets.

I am sure there is a better way to raise money for our schools. When we were stationed in the Midwest we paid an additional school fee with the promise that there would be no nickel and diming fund-raisers to stress families. With that a 100% went to the schools.

Posted by: LcFLE ()
Date: February 23, 2015 02:35PM

If in fact boosterthon is run during school hours (ie tax payers hours) I will be little upset over this. Granted I have no children I do pay local and state taxes and will be writing a letter to my state senator as should everyone else. If no school hours are used I could care less, if people want to be taken let them. I would be more incline to give money if the PTA begged for it with a boot at every street corner.

Posted by: where to write ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:06PM

Write to your school board (you elect them) and to your county supervisor, they are the ones in charge of the schools.

Make no mistake, Boosterthon is NOT VIABLE without school facilities, school time, and assistance from school personnel, to say nothing of free access to the kids.

Posted by: taxpayer dollars wasted ()
Date: February 23, 2015 04:20PM

Instructional time is very expensive indeed. When it is used for "fundraising", you are defeating your purpose. You all should be writing to your School Board member about this. The county is technically operate at a deficit doing this during the school day. That is why their fundraising regulation says not to do this. You think these are "free" hours? No. Our taxes go for those instructional hours.

The school system regulations call for money raised using students to be accounted for in the school records. The school system only has to pay 48%, as vs the higher amounts posted in other threads. If they still want to do this, do it after school (like Jump Rope for Heart) and run it through the school system contract. Those who don't like it or can't work it into their schedules will not be affected. No matter how many kids do it, the school system will come out ahead. Right now, they are at a negative number. Lot of good that does.

Posted by: Who cares? ()
Date: February 23, 2015 04:28PM

You can create controversy from anything if you try hard enough. Schools do a lot of things during the day. Assemblies, field trips, science fairs, book fair and much more. They don't teach in the classroom 100% of the day. The character and leadership program that Boosterthon offers is just another addition to the educational process, and Boosterthon pays for the entire program and all of the materials out of the percentage they receive. T-shirts for all kids whether they get pledges or not, is a major cost, plus staff pay, character curriculum materials for all kids, race materials and much more.

You can argue that schools already teach character traits, but they also teach science and kids still go on science field trips. Part of instilling certain things in kids is doing it a few different ways. Boosterthon offers something to schools that reinforces positive character traits, they raise a lot of money and they cover all costs out of their percentage.

Posted by: Johnny Q taxpayer ()
Date: February 23, 2015 05:28PM

Who cares? Wrote:
> You can create controversy from anything if you
> try hard enough. Schools do a lot of things during
> the day. Assemblies, field trips, science fairs,
> book fair and much more. They don't teach in the
> classroom 100% of the day.

Yea so? Its not the PTA and b-thon wasting my tax dollar to raise money for a private entity. Have all the science fairs and book fairs they want. All the rest Sound like the GS cookie scam to me.

Posted by: suggestion---> ()
Date: February 24, 2015 07:21AM

If boosterthon and the pta pay for everything, let them start paying for the lost instructional out of their profits and then a lot of people will see the light. As soon as they receive an estimate for $24,000 of lost instructional time, that will be the end of that.

Posted by: back to the future ()
Date: February 24, 2015 02:45PM

Given all of the pissing and moaning about budget shortfalls, Boosterthon should repay the subsidies it has received. Until they do so, they should not be allowed back into FCPS.

Posted by: Complainers ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:12PM

If I were Boosterthon I honestly wouldn't want to serve schools in your area. You people have been pissing and moaning about Boosterthon for a few years now. Plenty of other school districts in America that seem to love them and NO other school districts have multiple message boards dedicated to people complaining about Boosterthon like FCPS does. Either you just have a really crappy Boosterthon team in your area or you're just a different type of people entirely than what we have in the rest of America. Good grief

Posted by: You got it ()
Date: February 24, 2015 08:04PM

We have entirely different people in this area.

Posted by: I'm done ()
Date: February 25, 2015 12:24AM

I for one am done with this. I've made my opinion known to FCPS about how I feel about Boosterthon. I've wasted enough of my life on this issue. As someone else posted, it has become like "beating a dead horse". I'm going to focus my time on something more productive. My son is in his last year of elementary school anyways. Bye FFU!

Posted by: On the horizon......... ()
Date: February 25, 2015 01:25PM

I'm done Wrote:
> I for one am done with this. I've made my opinion
> known to FCPS about how I feel about Boosterthon.
> I've wasted enough of my life on this issue. As
> someone else posted, it has become like "beating a
> dead horse". I'm going to focus my time on
> something more productive. My son is in his last
> year of elementary school anyways. Bye FFU!

Just wait for high school. It gets worse.

Posted by: dead horse ()
Date: February 25, 2015 01:34PM

It is unfortunate that the Boosterthon horse is not quite yet dead. We need to keep beating it until it is.

Posted by: High School ()
Date: February 25, 2015 07:58PM

Problem is there's only a few people that don't like Boosterthon. Many like them. So you can keep on beating that horse...with toothpicks. Your school will just keep ignoring you because they know there's always a few people that will complain no matter what they do

Posted by: let's resolve this ()
Date: March 02, 2015 06:48PM

We need to tell the school board no more Boosterthon until they can prove all of their at school employees are qualified to teach. That will probably be the end of it.

Posted by: Cynthia ()
Date: April 07, 2015 06:36PM

Did anyone go to FCPS School Board regarding Boosterthon? They just had a fundraiser at my daughter's school in Arlington, and I am on the "against Boosterthon" side for obvious reasons.

I just wonder if anyone had success trying to get this company out of the schools in Fairfax altogether?

Posted by: Sorry, Cynthia ()
Date: April 07, 2015 06:53PM

FCPS won't address the issue. Angela Atwater, Ed.D., says the matter is closed.

Too bad about Arlington. Are the Arlington PTO/PTA people getting free trips to Atlanta from Boosterthon?

Posted by: Cynthia ()
Date: April 07, 2015 09:23PM

Wow - I don't know about any free trips. I am already persona non-grata for bringing up questions about Boosterthon, so I hesitate to ask more questions.

I was thinking of attending an Arlington School Board meeting to protest Boosterthon's ability to enter our schools in this manner - taking instructional time with no way for kids to opt out or for families to have their kids opt out.

Do you know why Fairfax won't consider the issue anymore?

Posted by: slanderorhyperbole ()
Date: April 07, 2015 10:50PM

Dixon Hill Wrote:
> Chris Carneal ... is making a lot of money off of the ... abuse of children.

Interesting thread. Not much information though. Much blustering. Where is the evidence of child abuse? I haven't seen any attempt to document or explain this accusation.

Posted by: Hello Cynthia ()
Date: April 07, 2015 10:51PM

You might, just want to consider making a FOIA request to the Fairfax Schools. Ask them for all of the correspondence they have received, recently, about Boosterthon. You'll find some good points (use of instructional time, use of recess, copies of contracts) that might get the attention of the people in Arlington.

Also, be sure to ask about those trips to Atlanta.

Posted by: Child Exploitation = Boosterthon ()
Date: August 27, 2017 09:33AM

Time to dust off the old Boosterthon Thread.....

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.