HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Chapman's Mill Tour, July 8th near Haymarket, VA
Posted by: Hawaii ()
Date: June 16, 2006 08:54PM

I don't know if anyone else is into it or not, but I enjoy reading and studying about the history of this area. One of my main points of interest is Chapman's Mill near Haymarket, VA, for personal reasons (my grandfather used to live near there when I was growing up). I've been talking to the lady that runs the restoration campaign that they've been doing for the past two years or so, and she let me know about an event there on July 8th. I don't know if any of y'all would be interested in going, but I'll put the info here just in case. I figured this really should be in the Prince William section, but some people in Fairfax County may be interested in coming out this way to check it out. The mill project's website is http://www.chapmansmill.org . If you're into local history, this is a great opportunity to see one of the oldest structures in the area, and the first opportunity to see it in the past couple of years, because it's been closed to the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beverley / Chapman's Mill Offering Tours of Stabilization Project
Cintec, the English firm stabilizing the walls of Beverley/Chapman's Mill is offering free tours to the public to view the work ongoing at the mill on Saturday, July 8, 2006 from 9 AM to 3 PM. Cintec staff will show how they use the internal anchor system to stabilize the walls of the mill. The anchors are steel rods that are encased in heavy fabric mesh that is filled with concrete. These are inserted into the holes made by drilling into the corners of the mill, and from the top to the bottom of the walls. For more details of this process please view chapmansmill.org.

ALL VISITORS MUST BE 18 YERS OLD OR OLDER. CHILDREN WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO ENTER THE PREMISES. ALL VISTORS WILL BE ASKED TO SIGN A WAIVER OF LIABILITY. In addition, visitors are asked to bring hard hats and safety goggles if possible. Please bring your own drinking water as well.

This is an unique opportunity to observe a difficult and challenging project to save the walls of the Beverley/Chapman's Mill, circa 1742, on the Prince William/Fauquier County line off I66 and Rt. 55 in Broad Run. This mill is the tallest stone building in the U.S. whose walls are being preserved by Turn The Mill Around Campaign, a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization whose mission is to preserve and interpret the site to the public.

To reach the mill from Northern Virginia, exit of I66 at Haymarket and take Rt. 55 west. After crossing the railroad tracks in Thoroughfare, take the next right, which is Turner Rd., which crosses over I66. Take an immediate left onto Beverley Mill Rd. and proceed to the end of the road (approximately 1 mile). Park where indicated and walk to the mill.

To reach the mill from the west, take I66 to The Plains and exit onto Rt. 55. Proceed 4 miles east on Rt. 55 and take a left on Turner Rd. Take an immediate left onto Beverley Mill Rd. after crossing over I66. Go west on Beverley Mill Rd. until it dead-ends at the mill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chapman's Mill Tour, July 8th near Haymarket, VA
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 16, 2006 09:49PM

Are they going to have a good olde fashioned blunt-wrapping contest, followed by a ceremonial smokeout? If so I am there.

Posted by: Reston Peace sucks cock for money ()
Date: June 17, 2006 12:32AM

whats the deal with marijuana, get over it

Posted by: ohhhh ()
Date: June 17, 2006 02:42PM

Oh! Is Chapman's Mill that big stone building you see off 66 west to the right?

Posted by: Hawaii ()
Date: June 17, 2006 03:31PM

Yep, that's the mill, easily seen off Rt. 66, past the Haymarket exit. It was burned in 1998, so it's a shell of it's former self, literally. It really is a massive structure when you get close to it. I haven't done the research to confirm this, but I've read that it's one of the largest stone mills in the United States. If you enjoy reading about the Civil War, the mill and the Thoroughfare Gap area are ripe with stories from that era. Here's an up-close picture of the burned ruins:

http://www.millfoto.com/~photos/tn/21997_1024.ts1072732199955.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2006 04:35PM by Hawaii.

Posted by: July 4th ()
Date: March 26, 2017 01:23PM

Happy birthday USA!

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: March 26, 2017 01:36PM

Quit bumping old crap. I was hoping that a new tour of that relic was actually in the works.

Posted by: Selma ()
Date: August 22, 2017 04:37PM

Restoration underway. Incredible work.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.