HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Photo Radar
Posted by: Mudpie ()
Date: June 16, 2006 02:20AM

Here is a questions for the Legal Eagles on this site. I would appreciate realistic responses and not banter. Thanks.

Did NOVA or DC ever have photo radar (fixed or mobile) and if so, why was it removed?

Was the system flawed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Photo Radar
Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: June 16, 2006 10:29AM

As far as I am aware, Virginia never had photo rader. They did have photo red light cameras, but the legislation which allowed them, which was passed in 1995, had a 10-year sunset provision and it was not renewed so as of July 1, 2005, the red light cameras were deactivated.

(The cameras you may see on some traffic signals, particularly in the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park, are not photo red cameras, they are cameras used to detect vehicles so that the traffic signal can give the appropriate amount of green time based on demand).

One of the things about Virginia is that it is a Dillon Rule state which means that localities (cities and counties) cannot use red light/photo radar cameras unless the state legislature passes a law allowing it.

I don't know about DC.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 16, 2006 12:54PM

DC has photo radar all over the city, judging by the tickets I have received in the mail. You can find maps of the locations via a google search for dc photo radar.

The system never existed in VA (not for radar), but is going strong in our stunted neighbor to the east.

Posted by: Hawaii ()
Date: June 16, 2006 10:45PM

Posted by: ffxmotorist ()
Date: June 21, 2006 08:44PM

Photoblocker FTW!

http://www.photoblocker.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2006 08:44PM by ffxmotorist.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 21, 2006 09:50PM

ffxmotorist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photoblocker FTW!
>
> http://www.photoblocker.com

the only downside is that you become a perfect target when it comes to LADAR. i guess if you are in DC a lot, it's worth it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:17PM

Now I know there are redlight cams in VA, There is one at Old Mill Rd/Rt 29, Popes Head/FFX Pkwy. And I know there are some tickets from that.

Re: Photo Radar-not in VA
Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: June 28, 2006 09:04PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Now I know there are redlight cams in VA, There is
> one at Old Mill Rd/Rt 29, Popes Head/FFX Pkwy. And
> I know there are some tickets from that.

...since July 1st of 2005, no red light tickets could be issued in the Commonwealth of Virginia, period.

Photo Red Light Program Expired
The enabling state legislation for photo red light monitoring expired June 30, 2005. Acordingly, Fairfax County will no longer use cameras to monitor red light violations.

WTOP, By LARRY O'DELL Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. - Pilot programs that use cameras to catch red light runners in several Virginia localities will end July 1 unless supporters of the technology can find a way to reverse action taken Friday by a legislative committee.

The House Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee, which is dominated by conservative Republicans, rejected several bills to keep the pilot programs alive after their scheduled expiration date.

Date: June 28, 2006 10:01PM

They still haven't physically removed the red light cameras, at least not the one at 28 and Greenwood Drive (I think--the intersection south of New Braddock Road).

Date: June 28, 2006 10:14PM

No, they probably will not remove them anytime soon, but it doesn't matter. I run the one at FFX Parkway and Pope's Head all the time late at night, and it never has flashed once. Is a turned-off camera not just as good as a removed one?

Date: June 29, 2006 06:15AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> No, they probably will not remove them anytime
> soon, but it doesn't matter. I run the one at FFX
> Parkway and Pope's Head all the time late at
> night, and it never has flashed once. Is a
> turned-off camera not just as good as a removed
> one?

the problem is that they have not addressed the major issue in which they were discontinued: car accidents. as long as people think they are active cameras, there are going to be the same high rearending rate. talk about stupid. what i want to know is if one is partially/badly damaged, will they fix/replace it or remove it.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: June 29, 2006 10:58AM

The best way to go is for someone on the board to sacrifice a car for the team and just run one down, destroy it, and see what happens.

I nominate Gravis.

Date: June 29, 2006 02:40PM

Why sacrifice a car? Just get a Sawz-All with the right blade and cut it down...

Date: June 29, 2006 06:35PM

Naw, then it'll be obvious. Anyone have a long chain or wire rope and a truck? Put chain around. pull it down. cart it off.

Date: June 30, 2006 10:37PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Naw, then it'll be obvious.

obvious or not, would they replace it? you dont have to get rid of it, just damage it to the point of needing a full replacement.

Posted by: lex ()
Date: July 02, 2006 09:15AM

the camera's are turned off, a friend from work lives down the street from a guy who was in charge of pulling the films and they turned em off and he lost his job i believe .

Date: July 04, 2006 02:57PM

Whoops, must have been drunk while I was typing that. See, if it was obviously cut down, they might replace it. But if it looks like someone crashed into it, then they'll think it was an accident. Shouldnt have said cart it off. Just pull it down and run. Skid just before it so it looks like you crashed, and chuck a couple glasses on the ground for effect.

Posted by: pay up fool ()
Date: March 26, 2017 03:21PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Now I know there are redlight cams in VA, There is
> one at Old Mill Rd/Rt 29, Popes Head/FFX Pkwy. And
> I know there are some tickets from that.

more cameras more money

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.