HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
TJHSST to Close?
Posted by: Overpopulated STEM Careers ()
Date: September 15, 2014 09:57PM

Has Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology outlived its purpose? That is the question educators and staff are asking. TJ was created at a time when there appeared to be a shortage of students entering STEM careers. That shortage is long gone.

All credible research finds the same evidence about the STEM workforce: ample supply, stagnant wages and, by industry accounts, thousands of applicants for any advertised job. The real concern should be about the dim employment prospects for our best STEM graduates: The National Institutes of Health, for example, has developed a program to help new biomedical Ph.D.s find alternative careers in the face of “unattractive” job prospects in the field.

Opportunities for engineers vary by the field and economic cycle – as oil exploration has increased, so has demand (and salaries) for petroleum engineers, resulting in a near tripling of petroleum engineering graduates. In contrast, average wages in the IT industry are the same as those that prevailed when Bill Clinton was president despite industry cries of a “shortage.” Overall, U.S. colleges produce twice the number of STEM graduates annually as find jobs in those fields.

TJ students have noticed the trend also. A large and growing number of TJ students, after receiving a quality and expensive STEM education, are choosing college majors in humanities, economics, and other non-technical or non-scientific fields.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/09/15/stem-graduates-cant-find-jobs

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJHSST to Close?
Posted by: Mr Ed ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:58PM

Eliminates the current problem of admitting only those who best know how to work the admissions process. Put them in their base high schools with their academic peers.

Posted by: Not anytime soon ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:08PM

Personally I agree with you but

After all the money being dumped in with the renovation

They aint closing anytime soon

Posted by: Yyyuuuu ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:27PM

Not anytime soon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personally I agree with you but
>
> After all the money being dumped in with the
> renovation
>
> They aint closing anytime soon

They could make TJ a general ed school.

Posted by: Jefferson High School '80 ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:41PM

Yyyuuuu Wrote:
> Not anytime soon Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Personally I agree with you but
> >
> > After all the money being dumped in with the
> > renovation
> >
> > They aint closing anytime soon
>
>
> They could make TJ a general ed school.

Then, a full circle will have been completed.

Posted by: The Times They Are A Changing ()
Date: September 16, 2014 12:16AM

I don't know about TJ, but anyone could see the trend in IT for at least 15 years - companies crying about the supposed dearth of IT people while demanding expansion of the HB-1 program. The fiction that there is not enough native talent has killed IT salaries and jobs for American workers. I find it amazing that this has been allowed to happen. Your country has deliberately screwed you.

At the same time, I've been exasperated by the arrogance of IT workers who assumed that the gravy train would continue forever and that they were superior to people with backgrounds in the liberal arts - while barely being able to put together a coherent sentence and communicate with the client.

I've been on both sides. The HB-1 workers generally cannot communicate adequately to be effective - look at the implementation of Obamacare for an obvious example. But management doesn't care because they can win contracts with cheap workers.

I don't know about the engineering field, but I would imagine it's the same. There is no job security anymore, no matter what field you're in. And - sad to say - if you're over 40, you are no longer valued.

Posted by: New Role for TJ Building ()
Date: September 16, 2014 12:57AM

If everyone agrees that the expense of a Governor's regional School for technology is no longer needed, then why hot turn it into a high school we do need:

Thomas Jefferson High School for Non-English Speakers

Better to change to meet the new demographics of Fairfax County.

You could even make it a Governor's School.

Posted by: Whoosh ()
Date: September 16, 2014 12:58AM

And that big whooshing sound you hear will be all the Asians fleeing to Texas.

Posted by: interesting ()
Date: September 16, 2014 07:17AM

Id like to see the stats for Graduate degrees in STEM. The study cited was for undergrad. Anyway this is circling the drain for the US. Innovation in tech was sort of our last best export. Looks like they have smart people in other parts of the world too. How will we last if we are buying shit that is made AND INVENTED overseas. The only employment here will be gas stations, 7-11's and home/auto repair.

Posted by: Say it's so ()
Date: September 16, 2014 11:04AM

Please do it. Then I wouldn't have to give-it-the-finger every time I drive by.

Signed, parent whose child from FCPS has a recent doctorate in a STEM field, no thanks to TJ. I hate separate gifted education.

Posted by: Relax ()
Date: September 16, 2014 11:37AM

US is fine

Just look at silicon valley and guess what most of the people there are wait for it US citizens

Everyone knew the gov contracting gravy train was going to end at some point. It was nice while it lasted. Salaries are coming much more inline with the rest of the country now. We were due for a correction.

Now if they would quit building all these crap construction condos for 700k and up I would be happy

We need more normal housing in this area you know places where people can buy for less than 500k in a good school district

Oh wait Fairfax co really is screwed

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:34PM

Never happen. FCPS would rather have one world class school for a few kids than a large number of very good schools. Besides what will all of those parents brag about when their kid is merely another above average kid in the neighborhood school?

Truth was we never needed TJ. It would have been better to have made expanded STEM offerings in a large number of high schools than it was to concentrate it at one place.

Posted by: Gold Standard! ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:43PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Never happen. FCPS would rather have one world
> class school for a few kids than a large number of
> very good schools. Besides what will all of those
> parents brag about when their kid is merely
> another above average kid in the neighborhood
> school?
>
> Truth was we never needed TJ. It would have been
> better to have made expanded STEM offerings in a
> large number of high schools than it was to
> concentrate it at one place.

True. But then it's harder to get on those lists of top schools in the country for bragging rights when you spread your top talent more thin.

It's kind of like the homologation models for car companies. You don't sell many and usually lose money on them so it doesn't make much sense on its own. But they help build an image and sell the rest of the line.

Posted by: MC2 ()
Date: September 16, 2014 07:30PM

Thank god we have so many smart students in TJ. It only takes one of them to invent something to spur our economy, protect our nation, or make our lives better. We should not be envious of these academic athletes but instead thank them for their hard work. Just like most of people, I hate studying!

Posted by: a question ()
Date: September 16, 2014 08:06PM

Academic athletes? Really?

Posted by: MC2 ()
Date: September 16, 2014 08:41PM

Why not? Exercising their brains instead of their biceps. Both takes hard work and dedication.

Posted by: WeNeedMoreSchoolBuildings ()
Date: September 16, 2014 08:55PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Never happen. FCPS would rather have one world
> class school for a few kids than a large number of
> very good schools. Besides what will all of those
> parents brag about when their kid is merely
> another above average kid in the neighborhood
> school?
>
> Truth was we never needed TJ. It would have been
> better to have made expanded STEM offerings in a
> large number of high schools than it was to
> concentrate it at one place.

+10000

Posted by: best and brightest ()
Date: September 16, 2014 09:14PM

How come, with all these STEM geniuses around, we still can't secure a fucking credit card?

Posted by: Success or Failure ()
Date: September 16, 2014 11:12PM

MC2 Wrote:
> Thank god we have so many smart students in TJ. It
> only takes one of them to invent something to spur
> our economy, protect our nation, or make our lives
> better. We should not be envious of these
> academic athletes but instead thank them for their
> hard work. Just like most of people, I hate
> studying!

Of course! Just look at all the astronauts, Nobel winners, and internationally acclaimed physicists who came out of TJ over the past years. I know that list of names is around here somewhere.

Posted by: D ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:54AM

The sad thing here is that none of you have a clue as to what you are talking about. I am TJHSST student interested in STEM, yes. I am interested in IT, engineering, tech fields, medicine... But we also have rigorous humanities courses at TJHSST too, including standard and AP courses, plus electives like journalism. So i am equally as interested in humanities as i am in STEM, and both are equally as important to move forward in life. Hell, my mom and dad persued humanities and science respectively, and they both graduated from TJ. By the way, some of us are real athletes too. We dont all simply "exercise our minds."

Posted by: D ()
Date: September 17, 2014 08:01AM

Additionally, maybe you should try to have a clue about what you're talking about before you say that students are only accepted based on how good they are at cheating the admissions process, which btw is more than just a test. Also, who has the right to deny or devalue a career in STEM if that is what a student is truly passionate about and wants to pursue?

Posted by: Apparently, not so smart ()
Date: September 17, 2014 12:39PM

D Wrote:
> Additionally, maybe you should try to have a clue
> about what you're talking about before you say
> that students are only accepted based on how good
> they are at cheating the admissions process, which
> btw is more than just a test. Also, who has the
> right to deny or devalue a career in STEM if that
> is what a student is truly passionate about and
> wants to pursue?

And you might try to have a clue about reading the thread.

Nobody made any comments along the lines of your post dumbass.

Posted by: Blame Mark Warner ()
Date: September 17, 2014 01:24PM

Mark Warner has let so many H1-B people in we don't need our own. But, he doesn't get that they can't vote for him.

Posted by: a voter ()
Date: September 17, 2014 02:53PM

"Mark Warner has let so many H1-B people in we don't need our own. But, he doesn't get that they can't vote for him."

But they can vote. Read Brian's post on another thread--nobody ever checks.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:09PM

OP, your post opens with the statement, "Has Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology outlived its purpose? That is the question educators and staff are asking."

But I don't see any support for the underlined assertion anywhere in the rest of your post.

Posted by: TJ bs ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:15PM

D Wrote:
> The sad thing here is that none of you have a clue
> as to what you are talking about.

Ah to be young and perfect! Arrogant ass - I guess that is what TJ teaches. I got into TJ, I'm brilliant, and the rest of you are all worthless.

Posted by: Shot Self in Foot ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:23PM

The Times They Are A Changing Wrote:
> I've been on both sides.

People who think it's an HB-1 visa have not been involved on any side of much of anything.

Posted by: Correction... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:31PM

Apparently, not so smart Wrote:
> And you might try to have a clue about reading the
> thread. Nobody made any comments along the lines of
> your post dumbass.

Yes, they did. And like so many of your type, I'm guessing you think STEM students study the bottom parts of plants.

Posted by: Epic Fail... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:34PM

Blame Mark Warner Wrote:
> Mark Warner has let so many H1-B people in we
> don't need our own. But, he doesn't get that they
> can't vote for him.

Right! You're smart, and he's dumb. You abysmally ignorant fucktards are all alike. What a total waste!

Posted by: many opportunities out there ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:38PM

TJ is optional as far as kids going into STEM. If you want to make a career in a STEM field, you don't need TJ to get there. All of the high schools have high level math and science courses available. We also have NOVA and Mason for students who want to dual enroll or who are high flyers and have exhausted the high school courses. Many of the real genius minds do things on their own anyway. It's not the school that "makes" them. Their curiosity is what drives them and that will be there whether TJ is or not.

Posted by: Sheesh.... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 04:38PM

a voter Wrote:
> But they can vote. Read Brian's post on another
> thread--nobody ever checks.

If "Brian" said that non-citizens can vote, he was being more of an ignorant dork than usual.

Posted by: It's all low-level crap ()
Date: September 17, 2014 05:29PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
> But I don't see any support for the underlined
> assertion anywhere in the rest of your post.

That's because the whole thread is just a bunch of sorry-ass made-up bullshit from chronic low-achievers who are pissed that so many of their betters around here live in nice houses, drive nice cars, eat at nice restaurants, and are able to take nice vacations. It's a bit like penis-envy -- the dickless just wish they had one.

Posted by: NANCY SALGADO IS A SLUT ()
Date: September 17, 2014 05:31PM

FIGHT FOR 15!

Posted by: Swimmer dude... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 05:49PM

D Wrote:
> The sad thing here is that none of you have a clue
> as to what you are talking about. I am TJHSST
> student interested in STEM, yes. I am interested
> in IT, engineering, tech fields, medicine... But
> we also have rigorous humanities courses at TJHSST
> too, including standard and AP courses, plus
> electives like journalism. So i am equally as
> interested in humanities as i am in STEM, and both
> are equally as important to move forward in life.
> Hell, my mom and dad pursued humanities and
> science respectively, and they both graduated from
> TJ. By the way, some of us are real athletes too.
> We dont all simply "exercise our minds."

Yes, the TJ swim team was really tough this past year. And not just Andrew Seliskar. Meanwhile -- and Contrary to the foolish nonsense that these low-grade yahoos, hayseeds and goobers blubber about -- TJ is a big success and a great asset, both to the students who attend and to the area as a whole. We could actually use several more such schools. Maybe a second STEM-focused school, but then others as well focused on arts and letters, history and the social sciences, and the performing arts. NoVa has quite an array young people with high levels of academic interest and talent. We would do well to help the cream of as many of those crops as we can.

Posted by: we are behind on this? ()
Date: September 17, 2014 05:56PM

"We could actually use several more such schools. Maybe a second STEM-focused school, but then others as well focused on arts and letters, history and the social sciences, and the performing arts. NoVa has quite an array young people with high levels of academic interest and talent. We would do well to help the cream of as many of those crops as we can."

Are you saying that our high schools are not serving these students now? Are you saying that our schools do not give opportunities to these students? Are you saying that our performing arts, arts, history, letters, and social sciences are lagging in the high schools that we have? Explain please.

Posted by: Worthless plodders ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:03PM

The Times They Are A Changing Wrote:
> There is no job security anymore, no matter what
> field you're in.

There is if you are good enough. Nobody's going to go out of their way to hold onto some no-account plodder.

> And - sad to say - if you're over 40, you are no
> longer valued.

Should have worked a little harder between 25 and 40, I'd say. If you aren't gaining ground, you're losing it, you know. People who are energetic, growing, and productive are valued at every age.

Posted by: The Fermilab way... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:19PM

MC2 Wrote:
> Thank god we have so many smart students in TJ. It
> only takes one of them to invent something to spur
> our economy, protect our nation, or make our lives
> better.

That's not really how it works. It actually takes teams of them. Which is one reason why they do so much team stuff at TJ. It's all reciprocal and collaborative.

> Just like most of people, I hate studying!

Most people, or most dumb people?

Posted by: LOL... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:31PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> Truth was we never needed TJ.

We never needed penicillin either. It's just been really nice to have.

> It would have been better to have made expanded
> STEM offerings in a large number of high schools
> than it was to concentrate it at one place.

We did that too. It's not like FCPS and other monks are off at the monastery keeping the secrets of the universe from non-TJ students. What a hopelessly dumb idea. TJ is simply a place where those with top potential and a strong interest in STEM can go and develop that potential with their peers. The synergies that 20 really sharp kids can generate don't look anything like what just one or two of them could come up with. Get with the program here, for crying out loud.

Posted by: Swimmwe dude... ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:37PM

we are behind on this? Wrote:
> Are you saying that our high schools are not
> serving these students now? Are you saying that
> our schools do not give opportunities to these
> students? Are you saying that our performing
> arts, arts, history, letters, and social sciences
> are lagging in the high schools that we have?
> Explain please.

If you were thinking of applying to TJ, don't bother.

Posted by: whats that giant sucking sound ()
Date: September 17, 2014 06:44PM

do you know what TJ really is

its a private school paid for with public funds

P.S. tons of asians move here just because of TJ while providing nothing to the general community in terms of service or giving back both of which are foreign concepts

I'd be curious to know what percentage of students end up moving back here after college. If it isn't high enough we are basically subsidizing

At the end of the day TJ aint all that. You can go to an "elite" college no matter what school you go to. Getting and staying on top in the working world is a lot different than the classroom.

Bamboo ceiling bitches

Posted by: Pictures at an Exhibition ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:09PM

whats that giant sucking sound Wrote:
> At the end of the day TJ aint all that.

Yes, it is.

> You can go to an "elite" college no matter
> what school you go to.

Certainly. But the "elite" that's behind you will help you deal with the "elite" that's ahead of you.

> Getting and staying on top in the working
> world is a lot different than the classroom.

What YOU see as the working world, and what TJ graduates do, are two VERY VERY VERY different things.

Posted by: what is this? ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:17PM

"Certainly. But the "elite" that's behind you will help you deal with the "elite" that's ahead of you."

What is this supposed to mean? When you say "deal with", do you mean that there is something more to being "elite" than working hard and having the knowledge base to compete? Explain.

Maybe, because so many of these "elite" are Asians, a person would need to understand Asian culture to deal with these people later?

Posted by: might manage one in the future ()
Date: September 17, 2014 07:20PM

"What YOU see as the working world, and what TJ graduates do, are two VERY VERY VERY different things."

Explain that difference please.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:24PM

LOL... Wrote:
> We never needed penicillin either. It's just been
> really nice to have.

Poor example. We did need penicillin until we got penicillin resistant diseases and until we developed the next round of antibiotics. Yes humanity proved capable of surviving without penicillin, but if that is the standard then public education itself isn't necessary either.

> We did that too. It's not like FCPS and other
> monks are off at the monastery keeping the secrets
> of the universe from non-TJ students. What a
> hopelessly dumb idea. TJ is simply a place where
> those with top potential and a strong interest in
> STEM can go and develop that potential with their
> peers. The synergies that 20 really sharp kids
> can generate don't look anything like what just
> one or two of them could come up with.

More TJ Kool-Aid. What makes you think those same kinds of synergies couldn't easily have happened at 10 different high schools rather than just one? Fairfax County could easily fill TJ three or four times over with qualified kids without dilluting student quality. A program spread over a number of schools would have allowed these qualified kids to participate. In addition there are a number of other students who could participate in aspects of the program but could not handle the whole. Spreading it out would have let these kids have a chance to participate to the extent they were able.

What concentrating it at TJ did was create a monopoly of opportunity. Students who go there have the opportunity to be exposed to and participate in educational opportunities that are not available to students attending other schools in the county. If parents thought their kids had the same opportunities at other schools as they have at TJ, they wouldn't try so hard to get their kids into TJ.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.