HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Danny Gatton Remembered 20 years Later
Posted by: Danny Gatton Fan ()
Date: September 14, 2014 09:38PM

Danny Gatton was 'The Greatest Guitar Player Of All time" And he was indeed great.

He would have been world famous but he did not like to travel much as he was a home boy from the DC area. He lived in "Southern Maryland, in Newberg Charles County Md.

Sadly Danny died by his own hand in 1994 at his home.

And does anyone remember Steve Bishop another local guitar player, he was younger then Danny but almost as good. He passed in 2012 and graduated from WT Woodson in 1972. After Gigs in DC he went to LA then Nashville.

RIP Danny and Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Danny Gatton Remembered 20 years Later
Posted by: The Humbler ()
Date: September 14, 2014 11:09PM

Danny was incredible. Used to see him a lot back in the day. Lots of times in little hole-in-the-wall places where there were maybe 25 people in the audience. Those were the best shows. He was just playing to play and doing whatever he felt like. Listening to him just warming up and screwing around sometimes you'd be thinking "Holy shit, what did I just hear?"

The greatest is always a tough call given how many other great players and different styles there are but he was right up there.

Wayback machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A50Vi2VQgLA

Posted by: Back-N-Tyme ()
Date: September 15, 2014 01:06AM

I remember him blowing my effing mind at the Childe Harold.

Danny was indeed one of the greatest Guitarists who ever lived.

Even Keith Richards was blown away by him and wanted him in the Stones.

Posted by: Billyhancock ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:11AM

I remember (vaguely) seeing Gatton with Billy Hancock in the early 80's at some dive on Capitol Hill. Can't remember the name of the place, but as I recalled, they played this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUxzPWxx79A

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: September 15, 2014 10:31AM

dont forget Roy Buchannon

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:12AM

When I was a kid, I used to visit the Falls Plaza apts where my friends and I played. We used to go up to the "hippie house" (as we called it) and peak through their basement window and watch Danny and the Fat Boys jam. Good times man.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: September 15, 2014 11:29AM

Saw Danny many times in the early years. Even saw him at Water Mellon Park with Liz Myers and freinds. Story goes he met Billy Hancock and Dave Elliot while with Liz and stole them away from her and formed the Fat Boys. She was pissed about that. Danny will and always been a huge influence on me and my playing and an even bigger tallent in the music industry. Sad that he was taken away from us so early. Also have to mention Dick Hintz his key board player. Those four could tear it up!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5XH84mmI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDfqPQNqgUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbNKMlrkHMc

Miss you DWG. RIP
Nip

Posted by: Roots Rock ()
Date: September 15, 2014 02:08PM

What made Danny great was the way that he could transition between styles and still make it flow naturally, always hitting everything pure and clean and lightning fast, and doing it all effortlessly. There are lots of great players but nobody else that I can think of who it all that well. You'd have to combine a Les Paul with Chet Atkins with Stevie Ray and Van Halen and some other top players to get it all in one 3 minute riff.

Bonamassa, who was lucky enough to be schooled by Danny as a kid, is a reasonable imitation but too technical and has no real soul of his own and that comes through.

Thackery was another great local player. But not quite at the level of Gatton. Probably a better showman just as a fun bar band. Still alive though so he's got that going for him.

Posted by: Danny Gatton Fan ()
Date: September 15, 2014 09:50PM

>What made Danny great was the way that he could transition between styles and still make it flow naturally, always hitting everything pure and clean and lightning fast, and doing it all effortlessly

So very very true. You said that well. And Danny was most comfortable playing in his own groove. What ever it was at the time. And Yes Danny liked to play to small groups as well as large. He just loved to play his music.

I could not believe it when I heard the news about Danny Oct 4th 1994.. RIP Danny.

Danny was 49 at the time..He would have been 69 today.

Danny Gatton and the Fat Boys!

Posted by: New Gatton Fan ()
Date: September 16, 2014 11:32AM

One of the most useful posts ever.

Danny's a little before my time here so I'd not heard of him. Checked out a few YouTube videos. Wow. He makes it look like it's nothing more than just breathing, yet he's playing some pretty complex stuff.

Thanks OP for sharing.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: October 03, 2014 12:43PM

Posted by: The Axeman ()
Date: October 03, 2014 05:22PM

Led Zeppelin was the best guitar player ever. I never heard of Donny Gatton.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.