HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Midgetville
Posted by: Mateo ()
Date: May 11, 2005 01:49AM

Please check out my discourse on Midgetville. This is a staple of Northern Virginia's culture and heritage.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/dynamatt17/5747.html

Comment on your own Midgetville experiences. It'll ask you to post a comment at the bottom of the link. I'm trying to collect as many stories as possible, no matter how mundane. I'm hoping to put together a website eventually and that's great material.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Midgetville
Posted by: Cary ()
Date: May 11, 2005 08:58AM

Wow. You got in and out without getting shot at or chased? Impressive.
Midgetville is even more of a staple of our culture than Bunny Man's bridge, which is also kickass.
Nice post. You need to go back during the day and get better pictures :)

Date: May 11, 2005 10:51AM

I'm already working on the Bunnyman Bridge edition.

Posted by: HScheesedicksmustdie ()
Date: May 11, 2005 11:34AM

Pretty neat pretty neat. Pretty cool pretty cool.

Date: May 11, 2005 01:06PM

Only been there once but I guess I'll share my story.
I was in 9th grade, or maybe it was the summer after? Anyway, I was drunk as shit in the back seat of a friends car. We drive through an old neighborhood onto a dirt road with little houses. We slow down and marvel at the pecuilar architecture when BAM at least two midgets appeared with what looked like locks on the end of big chains. We kind of sat there for a minute going what the fuck, but got the hell out when they started flinging the locks at the car and windows.

Moral of the story: beware midgetville! I don't blame them though. If I was a midget and drunk kids constantly came into my neighborhood to laugh at our houses I'd be throwing worse things than a lock on a chain.

Maybe I'll call my friend to get directions and post them here.
Let's see them take on ALL of us with chains.
I'm an asshole.

Date: May 11, 2005 01:33PM

Yes, directions are the one thing that everyone has trouble with....probably because we all go there while drunk.

I make mention of this phenomenon in my link.

For those of you that know Vienna, this is near Thoreau Middle School.

From Tysons Corner, take Chain Bridge Road (Rt 123) towards Vienna and make a left at Park Street. It's the intersection where Jammin' Java and the Ice Cream store are. Make a left at that stoplight and take Park Street until it ends (maybe a mile or two). There will be a 7-11 at the end of Park Street. Make a left onto Ceder Lane (you'll see the middle school). Make your 3rd left onto Wedderburn Lane and go to the end of that road, youll see the no trespassing signs.
Coming from Fairfax City on 123 you'll make a RIGHT onto Park Street rather than a left. This intersection is right in the heart of Vienna (kind of near the Amphora).

My alternate suggestion: take the second left off of Ceder Lane. I believ it may be called Redwood Drive. Then take the first right onto Luckett Avenue. This will intersection of this road with Wedderburn occurs where they both end: Midgetville ground zero. This route will provide a better line of sight as you approach Midgetville, which is necessary.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: May 11, 2005 02:25PM

if we all went in a big group on bicycles, those midgets would be no match for us and we could get away fast via the bike trail

unless they ALL have chains with big-ass Flava Flav-sized locks on them...then they could smash the spokes

My friend who lived there never indicated it was a place for midgets, when I went there one time to drop him at his shack down there, he basically told some dude who was hanging out to let me through without a problem, so I do believe they like to beat on the local sightseers. But the dude who was sort of hanging out near the road was a normal height fellow, I had no idea who he was. Def no modget tho, so they probably have a host of non-midget protectors.... sort of like that Swiss Guard the pope has..

Google Maps finds Midgetville
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 11, 2005 04:53PM

so i slapped in an address into Google Maps http://maps.google.com and found the location you said. exacting address is 2300 Luckett Ave, Vienna, VA 22180. the map is fine and all but i was interested in the satellite imagery feature. check it out. it looks like the place is offroad but im sure it's not. are the images acurate and the place is heavily obscured by trees or perhaps poor resolution? im thinking it's a midget conspiracy. i know the houses are smaller but damn, where are they?! i love google. it's the best free thing commercial thing i know!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: May 11, 2005 05:24PM

Maybe these maps will specify things

Normal Map

Satellite Map

Yes, it's a pretty wooded area so that second image is a little difficult to discern.

Notice that in the satellite image you can clearly see the trail behind Midgetville. It runs very close to the red marker. This trail is unseen on the normal map image; however, you can kind of see where it runs because no streets cross it inbetween Maple Ave, Park Street, and Ceder Lane.

Midgetville = the new KKK
Date: May 11, 2005 05:41PM

Isn't that a bike trail? I'm no fool, I'm quite certain they are simply using scare tactics. Otherwise there would be weekly reports of people being killed by midgets. WTF... why do they insist on isolating themselves into a cultish like neighborhood? Seriously, it's as bad as someone starting an exclusively white neighborhood and attacking anyone who isnt white that enters the area. Oh wait... that's the KKK.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: May 11, 2005 05:55PM

well, you consider it isolation but the people who choose to live there may consider it accomadation.

You try being the size of a child and being expected to live an adult life, free of the assistance a child receives from a parent, and living in a house for normal-sized individuals.

then each day you are subjected to a more-than-normal amount of passersby, who take advantage of the manner of your isolation to wander in like it is a zoo and ogle at you...

I'm willing to bet that the much-needed fence and gate would just amplify the zoo effect..

what we need to do is build an elegant midget living castle, like those huge retirement homes. If you elect me to represent Vienna, I will make it my pledge to see to it that the midgets are set free from the tyranny of ridicule, the plight of plunder.

so help me GOD.

Date: May 11, 2005 08:14PM

cary -

yeah, i totally ripped off your story and pasted it to my livejournal. I thought it was too good to leave here. I can delete it if you'd like.

I'll plug this site on that posting because all those people obviously have a stake in Fairfax County if they're reading it.

Matt

Posted by: DZK ()
Date: May 11, 2005 08:24PM

I know a girl who lives in "Midgetville" and nobody in her family is an actual midget. Everything in their house is pretty small, though.

But I swear one time we went there and saw midgets (back when I was in Middle School, mid-90's). And I remember them welcoming us and then the whole place busted out into a musical where we all sang... Wait, that was Wizard of Oz, nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2005 08:24PM by DZK.

Posted by: hellchild ()
Date: May 11, 2005 09:36PM

Midgetville-
I had to see for myself so I went there this afternoon. the directions I took were from Penderbrook: 66 East, Exit #62 VA-243/Nutley. right on Nutley towards 29. left on 29. left on Cedar Lane. left on Wedderburn. the road turned sharply left at one point, but if I had continued straight I would have gone down a dirt road. there were a whole row of mailboxes to the right and several "NO TRESSPASSING" signs posted on the trees on either side of the dirt road. I didn't continue any further as there were several normal sized folks in the driveway of the house just to the left that were eyeing me suspiciously. the trees were pretty thick through the whole neighborhood and especially so down that dirt road. it seemed to continue for a good distance but I couldn't make out anything distinct.

EDIT-
I also checked on the bunnyman bridge... the directions I got were 7100 south, exit Ox rd. left on Ox rd. R on Chapel Hill (I couldn't find a Chapel Hill so I turned down Chapel rd.) R on Colchester... at the end of the street there is a turn to the right which leads up to a house and a dirt road that eventually got too muddy for me to continue driving down. I walked a few hundred more feet but didn't see anything that resembled a bridge. just a lot of mud and no tresspassing signs in the middle of the woods.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2005 12:54AM by hellchild.

Date: May 12, 2005 10:41AM

Those are some interesting directions to bunnyman bridge. I usually come from centreville, but if you're coming from 7100, I would imagine you'd want to turn onto Popes Head Road. If you're coming from the reston area on 7100, turn right on popes head. If you're coming from Springfield area, turn left. Follow popes head until you get to the 4 way stop (forget what the name of the road is). Turn left at the 4 way stop. Keep going straight and eventually you'll go right under the bridge.

Posted by: hellchild ()
Date: May 12, 2005 11:05AM

I got my bunnyman directions from here - http://www.virginiaghosts.com/directions_bunnyman.php
I'll try yours next week, thanks for the info!
S

Date: May 12, 2005 11:37AM

Yeah...after looking at that map..it's the wrong segment of colchester road it's pointing out. Colchester off of Chapel road is the wrong part...and they AREN'T connected. Take Popes Head to Colchester and turn onto colchester and go straight until it brings you right under the bridge.

Date: May 12, 2005 01:06PM

Back in the late 1800’s, there was a man locked up in a mental institution in a small Northern Virginia town. The residents of the town disliked having the institution so close to their homes. The residents assembled and protested to the state. The state finally gave in and decided to move the institution elsewhere. During the move a couple of the patients escaped and took refuge at a nearby bridge. It is said that the two men used the bridge as a hideout, one of those men was found hung from a tree a few days later, the other man was coined "Bunnyman" after numerous bunny carcasses were found near the bridge. I have heard two reasons for the bunny carcasses. One, the man ate the rabbits and left the carcasses (because really, who eats carcasses). The other theory is; the man used the rabbit skin for clothing. The legend gets a little unclear once again with respect to the fate of Bunnyman. Some say that when police finally tracked him down, he ran onto the tracks of an oncoming train, killing himself. Others say he just vanished into the woods to never be seen (alive) again. The Bunnyman’s body has never been found.

Since the early 1900’s there has been around 30 deaths at the bridge, most of which cannot be explained logically. It is said that bunny carcasses are occasionally found near the bridge and the Bunnyman still haunts the bridge.

Date: May 13, 2005 04:39AM

Ha! I can't believe there is a Popes Head Road. Honestly, that is just weird. "yeah, i live on the pope's head. it's great."

rstidman,
give them a castle, are you crazy? they would become the tyrants. i like your zoo idea better. :)

DZK,
I had a similar experience. We took a field trip to a factory to see how the assembly line worked. All the workers were midgets! Not only that but they must have had a carrot addiction as they were all orange. They wore green clothes which clashed horribly with their skin and they were doing the musical bit. Though I think our guide, Mr. Wonka, had done a few too many hits of acid.

Posted by: Alex Churchman ()
Date: May 14, 2005 05:44AM

Used to live there.

Not for midgets just tiny secluded houses rented out cheaply generally to working class kids fresh out of high school. Like I was.

You are right about the cedar lane location.

Again, no midgets, and as someone who did live there, it was damned inconvenient to have to spend your weekend evenings fending off packs of drunken teenagers. So please if you must see for yourself, be considerate.

Posted by: Lorri Mechem ()
Date: October 08, 2005 01:17AM

My friend and I used to know Jane Nixon who is the grand daughter of James Wedderburn, and used to visit her often. If I remember, she was married to a man named Walter who was managing a restaurant. This was back in the early 80's when she was pregnant with twins. My husband and I were looking for a place to live after we got married and Jane offered us one of the cottages for a really low rent. It was called the "stump house" as its foundation was 4 big tree stumps. The whole house was crooked and way tiny but sturdy. We decided in the end that we couldn't hack it although the enchantment of the place was alluring. I am sad to see it go. It's too bad the county just doesn't buy the property and maintain it as a park or even set up little workshops for music or crafts or whatever in the cottages. There is virtually no place like this left in the DC area. Very retro and campy and, in my opinion, very worth saving. Lorri

P. S. No midgets ever lived there. Just the houses are "midgets" i.e. tiny.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: October 09, 2005 12:18AM

yes, we had gathered that information, but thanks for posting that mindless drivel without a hot sex-and-midgets ending. Nobody cares but to find out how the midgets living there get it on.

Posted by: Carlos Teran ()
Date: March 26, 2006 06:23PM

i just went to midgetville last night. Me and my friends were sober. so we decided to put the car in a position to leave quickly then me and my friend walked into midgwtville and took some pictures. nothing happened it was just creepy looking. Also another person we knew walked in during the day and was chased away by dogs. My brother drove in once and was faced by a man with a beard with a shotgun and he immediately backed out.

Date: March 26, 2006 07:42PM

pff... if one of those fools pulled a shotgun on me, i would calmly call the cops and wait for their stumpy legs of fury run back into their house. pulling a gun on someone is a serious offense. i somehow dont think he would want midgetville being on the news only to attract everyone. im betting it wasnt even loaded.

Posted by: TrickieL ()
Date: March 26, 2006 09:37PM

My son used to love to be driven there by me when he was in swventh grade, especially when he had a sleepover. My car was small enough to carry the boys and still get through those tiny little dirt roads. We never saw any midgets. Just broken down lawn furniture and mangy dogs.

I drove there a week ago just for the fun of it. The mailboxes were having mail deliverd there and I didn't see anyone. No one has ever chased me. I thought the place was going to be sold.

Trickie

Date: March 27, 2006 08:20AM

you probably shouldnt call midgets "mangy dogs" but then again, what do i care.  :P

Posted by: Gwar ()
Date: March 27, 2006 09:33AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> pff... if one of those fools pulled a shotgun on
> me, i would calmly call the cops and wait for
> their stumpy legs of fury run back into their
> house.

You'd call the cops? Why? So they'd pepper spray you for doing nothing? I thought the police were a bunch of goose stepping sociopaths.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: March 27, 2006 09:57AM

....and we all climbed into the hot tub and had glorious 8 way sex.

Date: March 27, 2006 06:51PM

Gwar Wrote:
> You'd call the cops? Why? So they'd pepper spray
> you for doing nothing? I thought the police were a
> bunch of goose stepping sociopaths.

when roaming free on their own accord, they seem to have no accountability. they are looking for trouble. when you point out trouble, it's like throwing a steak and expecting a dog not to go and chow down. if you ask me, that mindset is sociopathic.

Posted by: Nancy ()
Date: April 03, 2006 07:07PM

Where is this place, I have been trying to find it but can't . . .can you help?

Date: April 03, 2006 09:00PM

it's near woodburn elementary school, woodburn road I think.

Posted by: TrickieL ()
Date: April 03, 2006 09:26PM

No it isn't. Go down cedar Lane towards Cedar lane Elementary school. When you pass Thoreau Middle sCHOOL on the right, slow down and look for Wedderburn rd. It will be on your left. Turn left on Wedderburn. As soon as you turn look for the line of mailboxes on the right. There is a dirt road, Turn right on the dirt road and there is the Midget houses!!!! Don't do anything tomake them mad. remember people live there.

Date: April 03, 2006 09:31PM

wedderburn, woodburn, I think I can be forgiven.

I know there's a school near there somewhere even if I didn't get the name right.

Count on a huge fucking disappointment, btw

Posted by: Trickiel ()
Date: April 03, 2006 10:26PM

That's okay RESton Peace. I still think you are sweet. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad.

Date: April 03, 2006 10:34PM

hey, what a coincidence, I think I am pretty sweet too.

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 18, 2006 09:16AM

Do you think they have cable? hmmm

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 18, 2006 10:49AM

It's still there. I was walking on the W and O path and took a detour there. There is a huge yellow rope around the entrance and the gate is locked so cars can't get through. I walked all around there. The houses are all getting cleared out. I think they will build there soon. I hope they call it "Midget Estates" to honor the history of Midgetville.

Trickie

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: September 18, 2006 10:50AM

they got baught out? wtf?

So where will they live now?

Date: September 18, 2006 10:53AM

The midgets are all gone. I did see one woman go in with a key to the gate. She was not a midget. Her car was filled with junk. I think she was a homeless lady and she gave me a dirty look when she saw me walking around in Midgetville. One time I did see a midget type dog on a rope. he was a Pomeranian and was barking at me.

Trickie

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: September 18, 2006 05:05PM

Someone said in the begining how we should go with locks on chains. Why not guns?

Now, the Colchester raod which brings you to bunnymans bridge is the one theat is aceessible from Braddock Rd, Popes Head Rd (4 way stop next to church) and Newman rd (from Town of Clifton) Just some info.

Posted by: YourMom ()
Date: September 20, 2006 10:37AM

Those migets are insane, the first time i went i was with some of my boys the houses are so fucking small but they all drive big ass SuVS. We started honking the horn really loud to see if there reputaion was true. Sure enough at least 4 of those little wankers come out with rocks and glass bottles. they busted out the back window of the car so we dipped out still alittle shocked at what had just happened.The next weekend me and about 4 other people went back with paintball guns, we again honked the horn for the wankers to come out. Sure enough they come out and we lit there ass's up. It was the funniest thing i have ever seen, it looked like something out of HALO. Now that i look back i feel kinda bad but i will never be albe to forget that no matter how hard i try.

Date: September 20, 2006 01:03PM

Well if I was a midget, and teens kept coming to my midget neighborhood and honking or throwing stuff, I would tend to get angry too. First of all, they can't get clothes to fit right. Second, it's hard for them to reach into cabinets and shelves. Third, people stereotype them and they often get jobs as santa's elves or leprechauns. In some countries people even bowl with them using the midget as the ball!!! Of course they're gonna get mad when cars and kids come to just alugh at them. ( I regret that I went there too. I never was mean to them or honked). I think they have all moved out now.
Would you go to the Northern Va. training Center and gawk at the retards too?

trickie

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 20, 2006 02:56PM

Would you go to the Northern Va. training Center and gawk at the retards too?

He's already living there babe.

Date: September 20, 2006 11:54PM

YourMom Wrote:
> [story about shooting midgets w/ paintball markers]

Good job.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: September 21, 2006 12:55AM

Yourmom, I have the upmost respect for you. That paintball story was fucking awesome, a true tale of ownage. There is a short guy in my dorm, but he doesn't believe a midgetville actually exists.

Date: September 21, 2006 01:08AM

The guy in your dorm is half-right. The place with the small houses exists. It is not some kind of gathering place for actual people of reduced height. The gentleman who said he paintballed them, while extremely amusing, is full of crap.

Please see the following reference:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php3?tip_AttractionNo==4204

and

http://alexandriagazette.com/article.asp?archive=true&article=39005&paper=62&cat=109

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2006 01:10AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: G ()
Date: December 29, 2006 05:18AM

do midgets hunt rats??
how come midgets don't have there own state???
i would like to go to a midget town.

Posted by: Genny ()
Date: January 15, 2007 01:35AM

Gosh I just went there tonight b/c my friend told me about it and he drove us there...I didnt think he was telling the truth b.c he said that there use to be like mailboxes out there yrs. ago and that they would take there mail lol...(mean ppl!) but that they are not there anymore...and there not...theres like two roads right? and both have chains on them and says no trespassing....I was tooo scared to go it was likw 12 :00 a.m. already and dark nooooooooo way!..

Posted by: Skitso ()
Date: January 15, 2007 05:27AM

Gravis Wrote:
> Ha! I can't believe there is a Popes Head Road.
> Honestly, that is just weird. "yeah, i live on
> the pope's head. it's great."
>
> rstidman,
> give them a castle, are you crazy? they would
> become the tyrants. i like your zoo idea better.
> :)
>
> DZK,
> I had a similar experience. We took a field
> trip to a factory to see how the assembly line
> worked. All the workers were midgets! Not only
> that but they must have had a carrot addiction as
> they were all orange. They wore green clothes
> which clashed horribly with their skin and they
> were doing the musical bit. Though I think our
> guide, Mr. Wonka, had done a few too many hits of
> acid.

i do live on popes head road..

Posted by: Good Speller ()
Date: January 15, 2007 07:18PM

2300 Luckett Ave, Vienna VA doesn't exist according to county tax records.

Posted by: allivant ()
Date: January 16, 2007 04:20PM

Mateo Wrote:
> > I'm already working on the Bunnyman Bridge
> edition.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/bunny/bunny.htm

Read the above link. My friend in HS lived past the bridge. It was pretty creepy driving to her house at night.

vaburbia.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2007 04:25PM by allivant.

Posted by: Brainsindrains ()
Date: January 17, 2007 10:43PM

Midgetville was also supposed to be located over near this tiny buttwipe park off Hummer Road called Manassas Gap Railroad park. I went there years ago after parking over at annandale community park and then finding the old railroad bed and walking across HUmmer Road and into this neighborhood and then onto the M Gap park railroad bed-once on it I walk a way and saw a street on side with tiny house and then some odd looking houses on the other side.

Posted by: yoface ()
Date: January 20, 2007 04:32PM

i'm going to midgetville today.

im pretty freaking excited.

bunny man bridge it cool too. I first saw it by accident. My sister needed a ride to her friends house out in clifton, who lives on chapel rd.

there's a chapel rd off braddock and off 123, and i thought they were both connected, so i continued down thinking i would end up on the other side. When i approached the bridge and passed under it i got a wierd chill down my spine. It didn't hit me until i hit a dead end that it was the bunny man bridge. It was creepy having to turn around and go back through it. alone.

Posted by: saucy ()
Date: February 02, 2007 03:01PM

That does it! I've been haring about this Midgetville since 1997 when I came here as a student at Mason. I'm going tomorrow. Off Cedar Lane? I'm there! I want to see this shit before they tear it down. No bullshit. Who wants to come?

Posted by: snafu ()
Date: February 02, 2007 07:53PM

I remember hearing of a fast food place on route one called Red Barn in the 60's. They have mostly midgers working in the kitchen and everywhere but the counter. One day a local elementary school class came through on a tour. Some of the kids got scared as they had never seen midgets and started crying. The tour was ended as everyone felt bad about how it turned out.

Posted by: jen ()
Date: February 26, 2007 03:03AM

this thread is really old and the lj link is protected - but I wanted to express my gratitude to the author of this thread.

I always called the place Tiny Town after the Dead Milkmen song.

when i was a teenager in probably 1987, my friend barry's older brother's friend (follow that?) got us high and took us for a drive to see a neighbourhood that supposedly was built to house midgets. it was pretty crazy! we didn't see any people (large or small) but all the houses were small and the mailboxes were really low to the ground and the doors were low.

well, afterwards barry and i could not find it again and years passed and when i told people about Tiny Town they thought i was lying, crazy, or had hallucinated the whole thing. but it was totally real! over time i have heard/seen a couple references to it, but recently a friend brought it up again and was all "yeah, you and your bullshit Tiny Town" so i had to defend myself, naturally - which is how i found this thread. i feel somewhat vindicated and also - somewhat relieved. Thanks!

Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: May 13, 2007 01:49AM

Thanks for the laughs!

We piled a group from the Outback in Vienna into my Cherokee and went to Midgetville about 10 years ago, around 2 AM because nobody would believe Steven and Mark. There was only a chain and we took it down and drove back in there. We saw the tiny houses, lights on and stuff, but the little people were all in bed I'm sure.

They all sold out to the developer last year and made good money for their lots. Briefly there were signs about "estate homes, pre-construction" but now the signs are gone. Housing bust I guess. It's a swamp anyway. If it wasn't the reputation of the land, the fact that every rainfall that whole area gets flooded probably made it the last area to be developed within 4 minutes of Tysons Corner.

I know people on the street.

Posted by: TR ()
Date: May 25, 2007 12:30PM

Don't know if anybody's reading, but:

I went in today. The place is completely abandoned and boarded up. Not a soul, midget or otherwise, still there.

It's very, very easy to walk right in from the W&OD trail; there's even a small path leading off the trail near the two-story house and the trailer. If for some reason the "high-security" entrance off Wedderburn road with the No Trespassing signs give you the heebie-jeebies, this is the way to go in. The path quickly turns into a gravel path that leads you past all the shacks, which are in varied states of ruin. Apparently people were living in some of them just a couple of years ago, and some of the houses look fine aside from being boarded up; some of them are completely collapsed.

On one of the houses, the plywood has either been torn away from the entrance or was never put in...you can walk right in the screen door and poke around. It's about 4 rooms; a small living room, a bathroom and two empty rooms. No kitchen that I could tell. Aside from the ever-present beer cans, there are a lot of old educational-looking books from the 1960s and 70s lying all around.

SO if you're not to obvious and pick a quiet time of the morning, it's pretty easy to explore there. It may be smart to wear green or brown so you won't be too noticeable, but the only security is whoever happens to see you and is concerned.

Posted by: ya ()
Date: May 25, 2007 03:37PM

TR Wrote:
> Don't know if anybody's reading, but:
>

Are you kidding me??!??! MIdgets!?!??! All you had to say was midgets and Im there!

Give me a break. Midgetville no longer exists. It never existed.

Date: May 25, 2007 05:43PM

Well, yeah, the place is really Wedderburn, which was some kind of an artists' colony/timeshare retreat in the 1930s. But the midget rumors definitely came from the fact that the cabins there are smallish and out of the way.

Date: May 26, 2007 03:40PM

TR,

Excellent! Thanks for the information. Did you happen to snag any pictures while you were there? (And if so could you post them here?) If not I'll have to go by and grab some myself. I'd hate to let this prevalent urban legend fall into obscurity because of a lack of photo evidence.

Good work and thank you!

Date: May 27, 2007 12:15AM

Watch it on the photos. Dont take pics of anything that could incriminate you.

Date: May 27, 2007 01:04AM

Cary, KOT has a point... you just asked people to post pics of a misdemeanor-in-progress...

Date: May 27, 2007 11:13AM

He's right.

One more thing to help you find it. It's RIGHT AT the 10 mile marker on the W&OD.

Date: May 27, 2007 01:06PM

Dont have any pictures that have a sign that says no trespassing on it. Or if you do, make sure your outside fo the sign. Take pictures from public property, i.e the trail or a VDOT street. If the street says private drive then dont stand on it. And dont go in the house to take pictures. Use a zoom lens thru a windo or door. (which just happened to be open...)

Edit: wear gloves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2007 01:07PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Date: May 29, 2007 12:36PM

Interesting Wedderburn links:

http://www.keepwedderburn.com/ - Tons of pictures and information

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/24/AR2005082400814.html - Washington Post article "Fight Over 'Midgetville' Nears Its Final Round, August 25, 2005"

Posted by: Any updates? ()
Date: October 07, 2007 10:55PM

Anyone know if they got there way?

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: October 07, 2007 11:40PM

It was built as an artist's colony, by the Wedderburn family. No midgets ever lived there. The houses were just small. Very averaged sized people lived there until it was bought by developers.

Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: October 08, 2007 12:24AM

Neen Wrote:
> It was built as an artist's colony, by the
> Wedderburn family. No midgets ever lived there.
> The houses were just small. Very averaged sized
> people lived there until it was bought by
> developers.

You crushed my dream of pwning some midgets. =(

Posted by: want to see ()
Date: October 08, 2007 08:48PM

Did they wreck it yet or is it still there?

Posted by: walker ()
Date: November 27, 2007 12:41AM

It's still there. I went late Saturday afternoon. Didn't see any midgets, just a deer. It was kind of noisy walking around because of the fallen leaves.

Posted by: county longtime ()
Date: November 07, 2012 08:31PM

Known as "Midgetville" because of its tiny early 20th-century cottages and towering trees, the Wedderburn property has been in the hands of the same Vienna family for more than 100 years. (By Dayna Smith -- The Washington Post)
Attachments:
midgitV.jpg

Posted by: Nick R. ()
Date: December 26, 2022 03:04PM

They are still in northern va! drive to mcdonalds at 7600 little river turnpike, the road next to it (woodland rd) has midget secrets, its where they went after vienna, in several trips there were at leaat six I saw!

If you drive straight you'll see 1 house with 2 but if you drive until you see the one right turn, definitely take that right, there's a large group of midgets sharing houses back in the woods.

I went there and tried to talk to them (bringing whiskey and cold beer) but got yelled at by a pair of pissed off midgets who told me they found God.

When they told me to get out the voices were like the yellow brick road scene in wizard of oz, I laughed so hard I couldn't drive.

Go down there! Bring a Bible and play missionary, I ruined it for myself with the booze but if they are religious you could try and talk to them that way.

Posted by: Made in the USA ()
Date: December 26, 2022 08:03PM

Knew a guy that lived there a long ways back named, Midgo.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.