HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Too fat to fly, get paid!
Posted by: skinnkyjim ()
Date: September 08, 2014 02:34PM

God I HATE fat people.

A widower has settled his $6million lawsuit against three airlines who barred his late wife from planes because she was 'too fat' to fly.
Vilma Soltesz, who was 407lb, died at the couple's holiday home in Hungary after she was not allowed to fly back to New York City by Delta, KLM or Lufthansa in 2012.
Her husband Janos Soltesz, 57, settled his wrongful death suit last month for an undisclosed amount.
Attachments:
1410184811106_wps_6_A_man_whose_wheelchair_bo.jpg
1410186602451_wps_7_A_man_whose_wheelchair_bo.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too fat to fly, get paid!
Posted by: Sad All Around ()
Date: September 08, 2014 02:44PM

That woman looks like she has more issues than just being fat. I assume she wasn't allowed to fly because they couldn't fit her anywhere on the plane. On the other hand, I assume aircraft have to be built to handle wheelchairs - although I don't know how. It's hard enough for normal sized people to move and sit in planes anymore. In any case, this issue will probably get bigger as we do.

Posted by: 407 lbs. ()
Date: September 08, 2014 04:13PM

How did she get their in the first place? Did she put on all the weight while there? Or did they put her in the cargo hold on the flight over?

Posted by: Amputee Fan ()
Date: September 08, 2014 04:24PM

Do you like sexy Amputees?
Attachments:
Sexy Amputees.jpg

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 08, 2014 04:28PM

My outrage at this is tempered by the knowledge that airlines are doing it to themselves.

Airlines know how much room people need to travel in reasonable comfort. They have no problem jamming people into undersized areas so they can jam a few more passengers on the flight. They have to realize that with growing people and shrinking passenger space they will hit the point where reasonable accommodations can't be made. Frankly I wonder why they haven't figured out how to have an "oversized passenger" row in coach.

Posted by: )))))) ()
Date: September 08, 2014 04:45PM

I am really surprised that there isn't a place on the planes to transport people who can't get out of a wheelchair. I would think ADA would have stipulated that a long time ago. I believe the pilot ultimately has the right to refuse passage to anybody they deem unfit to travel by air. I think this lady would have thrown off the balance of the aircraft, creating a dangerous situation. People try to get on planes all the time who are really, really sick and sometimes they have to be turned away.

There are lots of people who are wheelchair-bound whose medical conditions really are not a problem for flying. Perhaps people are required to be able to egress without major assistance in order to fly in case the plane needs to be evacuated. You start putting people who can't get out of a wheelchair, particularly of this size, on a plane, what are the staff going to do if they have to get everybody off in a great big hurry?

If you are huge, you need to buy an extra seat. Or maybe TWO.

Posted by: Sue Sowwy ()
Date: September 08, 2014 05:06PM

Are airlines required to transport elephants?

Posted by: ))))))))))) ()
Date: September 08, 2014 06:38PM

I just looked up one of the major airlines. They have a wheelchair on board every plane to help you to get to the loo. They are not allowed to lift or carry you, so you have to be able to do your own transfers. You obviously need to be able to fit through the doorway to get into the airline and get down the aisle. I don't think they are required to take out seats and stuff to get you into the plane. The armrests are removable so that you can transfer yourself. They won't/can't help you. If you can squeeze through the doorway, and book first class, you can plop down in the first seat. But, if you have to go potty and you can't fit, I don't think they have to provide for you.

The flight attendants do not provide any medical care. If you want to bring a ventilator or cpap/bipap, it has to have an independent power supply and you have to operate it. You also have to handle all your own medications and personal care (including eating and bathroom) or bring somebody. They also don't have a refrigerator for medications.

You can't have everything in life.

I suggest everybody adjust their diet and exercise routine and try to prevent this type of situation. If you are already in this situation, live with the limitations. I don't ride bikes because they hurt my knees. You don't see me suing anybody.

And I agree with Bill that the airlines are just cruel with how they are trying to cram in passengers.

My personal opinion is that if the airlines had to pay anything because they couldn't accommodate this lady, all the lawyers and judges should go to Hell.

Posted by: )))))))))))))) ()
Date: September 08, 2014 06:53PM

Oh, and all airplanes have seatbelt extenders.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.