HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Facebook grammar error
Posted by: opps ()
Date: August 29, 2014 03:28PM

The first day of school is Tuesday, September 2! Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, we are looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!

Fairfax County Public Schools
30 minutes ago
The first day of school is Tuesday, September 2! Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend. We are looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Facebook grammar error
Posted by: name error ()
Date: August 29, 2014 03:30PM

opps ?

Posted by: Asshat373722827 ()
Date: August 29, 2014 04:24PM

Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: I'll be ()
Date: August 29, 2014 04:32PM

Hey, opps. You are going to have a delightful time proofreading the written communication from your school. You can get out your red pen and go crazy!

Here's the thing; no one will care about misspelled words, grammar and usage errors or even misspelled vocabulary words. You'll be dismissed as a snobbish effete. I know.

The body rots from the head.

Posted by: Opps is wrong ()
Date: August 29, 2014 04:45PM

Opps,

I hate to break the news to you but you are incorrect.

"Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, we are looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!"

Comma Rule: When a sentence begins with an adverbial clause, put a comma after it.

Posted by: Edvrby L. Clawse ()
Date: August 29, 2014 05:12PM

While you think you know what you are talking about, you don't.

Posted by: English teacher ()
Date: August 29, 2014 05:34PM

Opps is wrong wrote:

Opps,

I hate to break the news to you but you are incorrect.

"Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, we are looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!"

Comma Rule: When a sentence begins with an adverbial clause, put a comma after it.

Opps is right. I'm always embarrassed when my employer (FCPS) does this. "Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend" is not an adverbial clause! An adverbial clause modifies the verb, an adverb, or an adjective in the second clause. An adverbial clause is subordinate to the independent clause (also called a dependent clause). The clauses in this example are both independent clauses and therefore they should be two separate sentences (no comma).

Here is an example of an adverbial clause with a comma:

Having had a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, the children went back to school on September 2nd. OR

Looking forward to a great school year, the children enjoyed their Labor Day weekend.

In both of these cases the adverbial clause cannot stand alone as a sentence and depends on the independent clause for meaning. Thus a comma is used to separate the dependent adverbial clause from the independent clause.

Class dismissed!!

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: August 29, 2014 08:17PM

opps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first day of school is Tuesday, September 2!
> Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend, we are
> looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!
>
> Fairfax County Public Schools
> 30 minutes ago
> The first day of school is Tuesday, September 2!
> Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend. We are
> looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!

Ehh...it's marginal, is arguably an appositive comma [like the one in this sentence]. I wouldn't have written it, would have marked it if I was reviewing the text, but wouldn't have been insistent if the author said (s)he wanted it to stay. Sometimes it's style, eh?

Posted by: educated educators? ()
Date: August 29, 2014 09:25PM

^It is not an appositive comma.

Reference:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/596/01/

I think style is usually used in literature, not in informative messages from the school district. Eh?

Posted by: Beaten By Nuns ()
Date: August 29, 2014 11:27PM

The sentence has two independent clauses and should be separated by a semi-colon. Period.

"Have a happy and safe Labor Day weekend; we are looking forward to a great 2014-15 school year!"

Posted by: Heads Up ()
Date: August 30, 2014 12:10AM

The semi-colon depends on how the two (or more) independent clauses that make up a compound sentence are linked. If they are linked by a "short" conjunctions (e.g., and, or, but, yet, so), only a comma should be used.

Bob likes chicken, but Sue prefers burgers.

If a linking conjunction is omitted, or if a "long"conjunction is used (e.g, however, therefore, nevertheless, etc.), a semicolon should be used.

To err is human; to forgive is divine.
Sue stepped cautiously; however, she still slipped on the ice.

Posted by: sedfrg ()
Date: August 31, 2014 01:35PM

Heads Up Wrote:
> The semi-colon depends on how the two (or more)
> independent clauses that make up a compound
> sentence are linked. If they are linked by a
> "short" conjunctions (e.g., and, or, but, yet,
> so), only a comma should be used.
>
> Bob likes chicken, but Sue prefers burgers.
>
> If a linking conjunction is omitted, or if a
> "long"conjunction is used (e.g, however,
> therefore, nevertheless, etc.), a semicolon should
> be used.
>
> To err is human; to forgive is divine.
> Sue stepped cautiously; however, she still slipped
> on the ice.

Why wouldn't it be "To err is human, to forgive is divine" then? To is short.

Date: August 31, 2014 01:52PM

"To" is short, but it is not a conjunction. It is actually part of an infinitive in the case of "to err is human; to forgive is divine. The word "to" plus a verb is an infinitive (which is basically a verb form). In other cases the word "to" is a preposition (He went to the store).

I really understand that you shouldn't have to be a linguist to be employed by FCPS, but I think someone like me (an English teacher) could proof the messages quite easily. I am actually an English (high school) who has spent quite a bit of time in master's level linguistics classes (plus I speak another language and am certified to teach that as well). Believe me, FCPS does not fully take advantage of my skills. FCPS is not good at identifying employees who are highly competent/experienced and using their skills. They are good at putting their friends in positions where they probably shouldn't be.

Date: August 31, 2014 02:04PM

^^^^^^^You are an English (high school)?

My God this is just too complicated. How have I made it this far in life...

Posted by: Truth Hurts ()
Date: August 31, 2014 02:16PM

English is such a fucked up language you can always debate what is correct and wrong.

Spanish, German and Chinese are real languages with no disputes and accurate.

Date: August 31, 2014 02:30PM

"^^^^^^^You are an English (high school)?

My God this is just too complicated. How have I made it this far in life"

Sorry that I forgot the word "teacher". You got me. I need a proofreader too (ha, ha).

You are right that it is complicated. That's why linguistics degrees take years of study. I have no idea how far in life you are and what you do, but not everyone needs to be a linguist or have perfect grammar. That said, FCPS has resources and certainly can use proofreaders. I, on the other hand, am not doing real well with proofing my FFU posts.

Date: August 31, 2014 07:21PM

^^^^I couldn't help myself. You are doing better than 99% on FFU.
I am an old gray adult who can't remember anything about English class.

And yes, FCPS is quite a corrupt organization.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: August 31, 2014 08:58PM

educated educators? Wrote:
> ^It is not an appositive comma.
>
> Reference:
>
> https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/596/01
> /
>
>
> I think style is usually used in literature, not
> in informative messages from the school district.
> Eh?

Yeah, it is apposition. Read more references. Like I said, I wouldn't have punctuated it that way, but it wouldn't set off the alarm that it apparently did with the OP.

As for "style": there are things that are wrong ("This is rong!") and things that are perhaps non-standard, perhaps just personal preference--or the appropriate choice for the use of the document. Formal writing has its own style. I'm afraid that "I think style is usually used in literature" just tells us that you don't understand what style is.

It's also minor enough that it could be, you know, a typo. If the entire page was written that way, it would be more jarring and more worth pointing out.

FWIW: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Comma splice? Or great writing? You be the judge. And yes, that's literature. Machs nicht.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.