HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
windshield repair
Posted by: shield ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:01PM

Some car in front of me sent a pebble into my windshield while driving on I66 this morning. Now there's a small crack. Can it be repair or am I going to have to replace the whole windshield? I guess I can drive it like that but I'm afraid the crack may spread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: windshield repair
Posted by: motorrss ()
Date: October 15, 2011 01:31PM

u can get a small crack sealed but ill tell u this now when it gets cold and u start to use your defroster and heater it will melt the seal away and ull be right back wr u started from. if the crack is no bigger then a quarter or on definite line dont worry about it. if it starts to have a spider webb effect u should look to replace it asap.

Posted by: Bulls Eye ()
Date: October 15, 2011 02:30PM

Is it a crack or more like a bull's eye? If it's a bull's eye, they can repair it with resin and you'll barely be able to see it - and, your windshield should not crack anymore.

I recently checked some prices - and, with my insurance. It turns out that my insurance will waive my $500 deductible if it's just a bull's eye and they'll cover the repair. If the windshield is cracked, then I'd have to pay my $500 deductible, or just pay the place $255.00 to replace my windshield.

I also checked with Safelite Glass about their prices to fix the bull's eye. I was told that it runs approximately $110.

Check with your insurance company first before making any further moves.

Posted by: motorrrss ()
Date: October 15, 2011 02:38PM

did u not just see my previous post u moron. that resin shit doesnt work and its half the price of replacin the windshield stopp being a cheap ass and just fuckin ante up bitch

Date: October 15, 2011 03:11PM

motorrrss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> did u not just see my previous post u moron. that
> resin shit doesnt work and its half the price of
> replacin the windshield stopp being a cheap ass
> and just fuckin ante up bitch

I did see your post. The resin actually does work - if you have a company do the work. Don't buy the $10.00 kit from Walmart and do it yourself.

Where did you happen to go to school? Your writing is quite bad.

Posted by: itssmall ()
Date: October 15, 2011 05:09PM

The crack is quite small. Here's a picture

crack

Posted by: pcp panda ()
Date: October 15, 2011 09:55PM

Nobody cares.

Posted by: phil ()
Date: October 15, 2011 09:59PM

call this guy he replaced mine for $175
703-505-4661

Lawn Mower Repair
Posted by: Steve ()
Date: October 19, 2011 05:15PM

I found a great mower repair shop. Caliber Lawn and Garden it is at 3170 Draper Drive, Fairfax. Great Work, Honest.

Posted by: motorss ()
Date: October 19, 2011 05:22PM

bulls eye unless u actually service cars for living shut ur mouth and this a blog/forum im not gonna spend time with my grammar or sentence structures.

Posted by: Ogien ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:28PM

motorrss Wrote:
> u can get a small crack sealed but ill tell u this
> now when it gets cold and u start to use your
> defroster and heater it will melt the seal away
> and ull be right back wr u started from. if the
> crack is no bigger then a quarter or on definite
> line dont worry about it. if it starts to have a
> spider webb effect u should look to replace it
> asap.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. If done properly, the resin absolutely works perfectly.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 19, 2011 06:47PM

That's nothing. Go down to autozone and get a $10 repair kit and do it yourself. I have the same type of nick and it works fine.

Date: October 19, 2011 08:28PM

motorss Wrote:
> bulls eye unless u actually service cars for
> living shut ur mouth and this a blog/forum im not
> gonna spend time with my grammar or sentence
> structures.

You know, you are quite retarded. Don't use the excuse that this is a blog / forum, so proper grammar and sentence structures are not necessary. If you intend to even appear to have any credibility whatsoever, maybe cleaning up your writing a bit might make you appear more believable.

However, in the meantime, you're nothing but a high school drop-out and flunky. You probably move between auto shop jobs every 6 months. I doubt if you're skilled enough to have any true mechanical skills, so you're not tasked with analyzing true problems with automobiles. Instead, you get assignments like changing oil, fixing flat tires and taking out the trash. That pretty much fills your day up. You dummy!!!

LIberals: Why Are So Many on ANTI-DEPRESSANTS? And Should They Be Allowed to Vote?
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:40PM

l

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 11:42PM by WingNut.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: October 19, 2011 08:48PM

If you have full coverage, many insurance pays for a repair with zero deductible. It can't hurt to try a repair if it is free to you.

Posted by: Resin works... ()
Date: October 19, 2011 09:10PM

motorrrss Wrote:
> did u not just see my previous post u moron. that
> resin shit doesnt work and its half the price of
> replacin the windshield stopp being a cheap ass
> and just fuckin ante up bitch

You need a clue..... douchebag

When done professionally, the resin does work...

Besides, the insurance companys wouldn't pay for the service if it did not, yo!
Most foks would have to pay for the new windshield anyway due to the deductable.
So it would be better for them financially to not to pay for the resin service.

Date: October 20, 2011 10:44AM

BULLS EYE!!!!! your right on the bulls eye.....you are like a mind reader your right im just a high school drop out with zero automobile knowledge and switch shops every 6 months haha and let me guess ur a harvard grad phd, know everything about everything. typical nova resident... like to pretend they are the smartest and most deserving people to walk the earth (obnoxious). write on these blogs/forums and pretend they know what they are talking bout on almost every topic but in reality just a dumbass that prolly takes his car into a shop not knowing the difference between struts and shocks without googling it, but wait your so god damn smart you dont take your car into a shop u fix all your problems in the drive way right?

Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:11AM

Whoever said $225 to replace a windshield is shitfilled. I just had one done and it was $175, and the guy came to my workplace and did it in the parking lot.

Posted by: johnny cash ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:17AM

it defers depending on the size of the windshield but yeah thats whys it is almost not worth getting the resin fix because its almost as expensive.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:21AM

Call your insurance carrier. A rock hitting your windshield falls within the "comprehensive coverage" on your policy because it's an "act of God." Comprehensive claims do not normally affect your premium because they have no bearing on the risk you represent to the insurance carrier. That is, if you're at fault in a crash and they have to pay out, they raise your rate because you caused the crash and so are considered a "more dangerous" driver from their perspective. But the rock hitting the windshield is just bad luck and has nothing to do with whether you're a risk.

If you have a deductible on your comprehensive coverage, however, you may wind up paying that amount out-of-pocket and it may not be worth submitting the claim. But that's a decision you have to make yourself based on your own policy.

As far as the various sniping goes, I don't read posts that use spellings like "u" and "ur" because I find them illegible. I figure if you want someone to take the time to read your thoughts, it's a fair trade for you to take the time to use proper English spelling and grammar (recognizing that the occasional typo happens, of course).

Posted by: beanlover ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:32AM

hahaha this thread is funny. There are so many anal people on this site. Personally I dont care how you spell as long as the sentence makes sense. On the threads topic however, the resin material does work fine but it can deteriate over time in extreme conditions.

Posted by: motors??? ()
Date: October 20, 2011 11:39AM

hate to say this because he sounds like a total douche lord but motorss is right but only under pretty extreme conditions like beanlover said. Its a judgement call but I would just go with the cheap resin at walmart. Nova isnt really known for having extreme weather...motorsss...

Posted by: shield ()
Date: October 20, 2011 12:29PM

My Allstate comprehensive deductible is $500 so I would have to pay for a new windshield out of pocket. If the crack is not in the line of vision and can be repaired by a local shop then Allstate pays 100% for the repair. I opted for the repair since the crack is not in my line of vision.

The repair took about 10 minutes by shop out of Tyson (VA Glass) and they charged Allstate $50. They came to my house to do the job. The crack looks pretty much the same now, but the shop guaranteed that the crack won't spread. The guaranty is kinda lame as it only count the cost of the repair (i.e. $50) toward a new windshield.

Posted by: Lloydster's Murderer ()
Date: October 20, 2011 12:57PM

Lloydster Wrote:
> Whoever said $225 to replace a windshield is
> shitfilled. I just had one done and it was $175,
> and the guy came to my workplace and did it in the
> parking lot.

Shut up fuck stick...I'm pretty sure the windshield on my XJS costs more to replace than the windshield on your ricer Civic.

Date: October 20, 2011 09:19PM

motorss Wrote:
> BULLS EYE!!!!! your right on the bulls eye.....you
> are like a mind reader your right im just a high
> school drop out with zero automobile knowledge and
> switch shops every 6 months haha and let me guess
> ur a harvard grad phd, know everything about
> everything. typical nova resident... like to
> pretend they are the smartest and most deserving
> people to walk the earth (obnoxious). write on
> these blogs/forums and pretend they know what they
> are talking bout on almost every topic but in
> reality just a dumbass that prolly takes his car
> into a shop not knowing the difference between
> struts and shocks without googling it, but wait
> your so god damn smart you dont take your car into
> a shop u fix all your problems in the drive way
> right?

Nonsense. You idiot! I have a double garage with a full array of air tools, tools, torque wrenches, code readers, etc. 90% of my car repairs are done by myself. So, please don't stereotype me as you just have. Meanwhile, I think the way I described you is spot on. You write and talk like you're half retarded. I don't think I'm a NoVA big shot. However, I do know when I come across an idiot on the Internet who thinks they know more than they do ... yet, they continue to dig themselves deeper holes by posting even more stupid responses to the comments.

Yet, tomorrow, a glass company will be coming to my work site and they will perform the "resin fix" on my car. The cost? Zero! Zip! Zilch! Nada! My insurance company has waived my deductible to have this repair done. So, in your words I guess I'm an idiot by going ahead with this service that will not fix my windshield correctly, right? Well, let me come back in 6 months to provide you with an update. You big dummy!

Date: October 20, 2011 09:23PM

Lloydster Wrote:
> Whoever said $225 to replace a windshield is
> shitfilled. I just had one done and it was $175,
> and the guy came to my workplace and did it in the
> parking lot.

It depends on the vehicle. Our 2010 Ford Edge is going to cost $255, taxes included. The same job by Safelite was going to be $384 + $20 to drive to our location + $9.00 to dispose of the glass for us. Safelite is a fuggin rip off.

Date: October 21, 2011 10:01AM

oh yeahh mr nova big shot/mr fix it, i would love to see this two door garage you speak of with all your tools/code readers. However I have this strange feeling your just bullshittin...bulls eye. That could be your new name brah...bullshit!

To be honest my man you sound exactly how depicted you stuck up know it all nova resident. ill keep stereotyping people like you because people like you never let me down. what is it that you say you do again? besides sit on the computer giving out advice and running your mouth about bad writing because someone does not care as much as you do about this forum/blog.

it looks like a couple other people agreed with me but judging but how god damn smart you are no ones opinion but yours matter (stereotype once again proven right). I might not have been 100% correct but I have seen it myself and I would much rather replace a windshield than doing the resin fix because it is anywhere from half the price to 3/5 the price to just replace it and if it fails like it can under certain circumstances (sorry if i did not elaborate earlier shit head) i would not want to throw more money at the problem doing the windshield replacement when it could have been avoided. Sorry for giving an opinion based on previous experiences in which i have had people come in saying that some other shop had tried to fix it and the resin fix had failed months down the road (not every resin fix fails) but i dont know what situation your in, I simply gave in opinion to avoid spending more money then the consumer originally intended.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: October 21, 2011 10:14AM

So....what's the actual consensus - are the ding repair kits available at autozone (or walmart) worth getting for exactly what's pictured up above? I've got a hit just like that - brand new - that I want fixed and certainly don't mind doing it myself if it's worth it.

Posted by: Aholes ()
Date: October 21, 2011 11:31AM

I have a small ding on mine I'll probably have repaired before it gets too cold. Maybe if the selfish assholes around here in thier SUVs could pony up the $100 for mudflaps it would save a lot of people the trouble of having to repair a damaged windshield.

I like the guy touting his XJS as some badge of honor. I can buy an unreliable XJS for less than a Civic these days. The difference is the Civic will start every day.

Posted by: A ho les ()
Date: October 21, 2011 11:36AM

Check out this ricer:

some_text

Hellz Yeeeah!

Date: October 21, 2011 05:31PM

motorss Wrote:
> oh yeahh mr nova big shot/mr fix it, i would love
> to see this two door garage you speak of with all
> your tools/code readers. However I have this
> strange feeling your just bullshittin...bulls eye.
> That could be your new name brah...bullshit!
>

You don't know when to quit, do you? What time does your parents ask you to get off the Internet and head to bed because you have school the next day?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 21, 2011 05:42PM

Olde Farte Wrote:
> So....what's the actual consensus - are the ding
> repair kits available at autozone (or walmart)
> worth getting for exactly what's pictured up
> above? I've got a hit just like that - brand new -
> that I want fixed and certainly don't mind doing
> it myself if it's worth it.
>
>

I've fixed two bullseye nicks using that same product. The first one lasted for 4 years with no expansion of the cracking. Then I got my windshield replaced (Route 66 Autoglass - highly recommended) and got another nick in the SAME FUCKING SPOT and it's lasted 6 months already. It's worked for me, but that's all I can say.

Date: October 22, 2011 09:43AM

Bulls Eye Wrote:
> You don't know when to quit, do you? What time
> does your parents ask you to get off the Internet
> and head to bed because you have school the next
> day?

my parents ask me to get off? i dont know about you but I live and support my living for me and my family...by myself.... im just going to assume that the only reason that you live in the nova area is cuz (oh no...i used cuz instead of because) your parents raised you here and paid for all your expenses and some how you think your still better then me but in reality you couldnt have made it past high scool in the real world alone. How should we come to the conclusion of who is the bigger moron? Should it be because i dont write like a pro or rather that you think your so much better then me because your some stupid yuppie that is only where he is in life because his parents pushed him through life?.....The answer is pretty obvious so no need to comment homie(oh no I used a slang term). I have made a fine living for myself in life and in nova without my parents holding my hand through every turn of life. "you big dummy!!!"

Posted by: Has a point ()
Date: October 22, 2011 09:56AM

motorss Wrote:
> Bulls Eye Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You don't know when to quit, do you? What time
> > does your parents ask you to get off the
> Internet
> > and head to bed because you have school the
> next
> > day?
>
>
> my parents ask me to get off? i dont know about
> you but I live and support my living for me and my
> family...by myself.... im just going to assume
> that the only reason that you live in the nova
> area is cuz (oh no...i used cuz instead of
> because) your parents raised you here and paid for
> all your expenses and some how you think your
> still better then me but in reality you couldnt
> have made it past high scool in the real world
> alone. How should we come to the conclusion of who
> is the bigger moron? Should it be because i dont
> write like a pro or rather that you think your so
> much better then me because your some stupid
> yuppie that is only where he is in life because
> his parents pushed him through life?.....The
> answer is pretty obvious so no need to comment
> homie(oh no I used a slang term). I have made a
> fine living for myself in life and in nova without
> my parents holding my hand through every turn of
> life. "you big dummy!!!"

Bulls Eye has a point. Adults shouldn't be using "ur", "cuz", etc. if you wish to be treated with respect. Those are terms used by kids or people who are borderline illiterate. I don't understand why people have such a problem with some punctuation, capitalization, and using real words. No wonder America continues to decline, we can't fucking spell or put a sentence together.

Posted by: stupid ()
Date: October 22, 2011 12:06PM

....motorss and bulls eye still going at it? This is probably one of the stupidest arguments I have ever read. All over using internet slang? GROW THE FUCK UP,both of you!!! In all honesty though motorss he does have a point no matter how insignificant it is.

Date: October 22, 2011 02:35PM

I didnt ask you fucking losers to treat me with respect all that I did was write an opinion if you want to not take in the information because they way I chose to write then dont. I could care less but dont give me this bullshit about how I sound like a kid because I used ur or cuz as opposed to (your, youre,because etc.) just because I chose to write in slang terms. The facts and experiences that I have used dont change or become less credible. Try not to get your panties in bunch over stupid shit.

Date: October 22, 2011 02:48PM

> Bulls Eye has a point. Adults shouldn't be using
> "ur", "cuz", etc. if you wish to be treated with
> respect. Those are terms used by kids or people
> who are borderline illiterate. I don't understand
> why people have such a problem with some
> punctuation, capitalization, and using real words.
> No wonder America continues to decline, we can't
> fucking spell or put a sentence together.

What makes you more of an adult? because you dont spell using short cuts? If I am in a bussiness environment requiring writings than you would never catch me using "ur" or "cuz" but I got news for you. This is a blog/forum aka not my life, work, and definatley not the end of the world.

Posted by: cuz ur cuz ur ()
Date: October 22, 2011 02:49PM

who cares/

Date: October 22, 2011 07:40PM

motorss Wrote:
> im just going to assume
> that the only reason that you live in the nova
> area is cuz (oh no...i used cuz instead of
> because) your parents raised you here and paid for
> all your expenses and some how you think your
> still better then me but in reality you couldnt
> have made it past high scool in the real world
> alone.

Well, motorss, you know what happens when people assume, right? Please don't assume anything about others ever again. You're assumption is about 180 degrees off. My parents didn't pay for a dime of what I received or achieved. I didn't grow up in this area, but did move to the area following my military service. I didn't have a silver spoon in my mouth as you'd like to make everyone believe. I didn't have the opportunity to enter college following high school, either. Instead, I took a break of 3 days after graduating and was then headed to basic training.

As to my education, I connected with the right employers following my military service. I made use of the benefits provided - especially the tuition reimbursement program.

Life has been great so far, and I wouldn't change a minute of it. I wouldn't have wanted things given to me as I've learned though the school of "hard knox" what it takes to survive. I've survived and I've done it with great success, too.

Date: October 23, 2011 01:06AM

Of course you are

Date: November 07, 2011 03:01PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Olde Farte Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------
> > So....what's the actual consensus - are the ding
> > repair kits available at autozone (or walmart)
> > worth getting for exactly what's pictured up
> > above? I've got a hit just like that - brand new - that
> > I want fixed and certainly don't mind doing
> > it myself if it's worth it.
>
> I've fixed two bullseye nicks using that same
> product. The first one lasted for 4 years with no
> expansion of the cracking. Then I got my
> windshield replaced (Route 66 Autoglass - highly
> recommended) and got another nick in the SAME
> FUCKING SPOT and it's lasted 6 months already.
> It's worked for me, but that's all I can say.

Just a followup - just used the pictured product to fix my windshield's ding - looks good after the fact. Very straight-forward procedure. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Now just have to see if it lasts without any expansion.

Posted by: Lloydster ()
Date: November 08, 2011 07:24AM

Olde Farte Wrote:
> Warhawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Olde Farte Wrote:
> > ----------------------------------------
> > > So....what's the actual consensus - are the
> ding
> > > repair kits available at autozone (or
> walmart)
> > > worth getting for exactly what's pictured up
> > > above? I've got a hit just like that - brand
> new - that
> > > I want fixed and certainly don't mind doing
> > > it myself if it's worth it.
> >
> > I've fixed two bullseye nicks using that same
> > product. The first one lasted for 4 years with
> no
> > expansion of the cracking. Then I got my
> > windshield replaced (Route 66 Autoglass -
> highly
> > recommended) and got another nick in the SAME
> > FUCKING SPOT and it's lasted 6 months already.
> > It's worked for me, but that's all I can say.
>
> Just a followup - just used the pictured product
> to fix my windshield's ding - looks good after the
> fact. Very straight-forward procedure. Wouldn't
> hesitate to do it again. Now just have to see if
> it lasts without any expansion.

I think if it makes it through one winter you would home free. Curious how this turns out fartman.

Date: November 08, 2011 09:04AM

Lloydster Wrote:
> I think if it makes it through one winter you
> would home free. Curious how this turns out
> fartman.

If I'm still hanging around here I'll post another followup next spring-ish.

Mini-followup for right now - the "patch" is quite hard to see - exactly what one would expect if it worked. I took an LED flashlight and looked at the patch from various angles (sight and lighting); under some conditions the cracks are still visible though they obviously have been filled - at least partially - with the resin. This bodes well for longevity.

Posted by: Medel ()
Date: November 20, 2021 07:55AM

Hello everyone, who can tell you what to do if I noticed a crack on the windshield of the car, how can this be fixed?

Posted by: Leandro ()
Date: November 20, 2021 11:00AM

Hello, first of all you need to take scotch tape and completely seal the crack. This is necessary so that moisture, and even more dirt, does not get into the crack or chip, which will complicate its further repair and the result after repair. Then contact the nearest auto service, where they will first stop the crack, drill the chip from which it went, and then completely spill it with polymer. If the crack is very large and the glass cannot be repaired, then you need a windshield replacement, first you have to order a suitable glass and then contact a car service.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.