HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
are there any lakes that you can swim in legally or illegally without getting in trouble?
Posted by: gottaquestion ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:26AM

are there any lakes that you can swim in legally or illegally without getting in trouble?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are there any lakes that you can swim in legally or illegally without getting in trouble?
Posted by: 3p66u ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:36AM

Could rent a boat from Fountainhead and find a remote place. I saw some ppl swimming couple weeks ago and nobody seemed to do anything. Not supposed to though since it's drinking water source for Fairfax..

Re: are there any lakes that you can swim in legally or illegally without getting in trouble?
Posted by: Lobo Alumnus ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:44AM

Lake Anne
Lake Anna
Deep Creek Lake

Posted by: CH3NO2 ()
Date: August 27, 2014 12:45PM

Blue Plains sewage treatment plant. They even provide flippers and a shovel.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 27, 2014 01:03PM

I swam in Lake Barcroft a few times over the years, since we had friends who own a house there. I wouldn't have done it this past summer though. Also it is private so you would need to arrange an invitation.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: August 27, 2014 01:13PM

I swam in Lake Barcroft
Sewage spills there too.

P.U.

Posted by: tagalong ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:39PM

There are several makeshift beaches and areas with rope swings along Bull Run. They can be accessed by entering at bull run park and following the trails downstream or off rt.28 just before the bridge into p.w. county. Park where you see the cival war trail sign and follow the trail upstream. Not a lake. But can be fun. These areas are unfortunately abused by our lovely Hispanic population who seem to be genetically incapable of PICKING UP THIER FUCKING TRASH!!!!!

Posted by: eagle64 ()
Date: August 28, 2014 01:32AM

@Bill N.: I too have swum and canoed in Lake Barcroft, but it was with a friend whose uncle lived on the Lake and we were his guests. I presume you are correct in requiring such guest status to use the lake.

Posted by: Tim K ()
Date: August 28, 2014 01:44AM

Potomac is a great place to swim if you go near National Harbor. Water there is very warm for some reason as well. I take my family there every weekend.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: August 28, 2014 05:01AM

the abandoned quarry near the Rappahannock River off Wicklow Drive

Posted by: NS 13 ()
Date: August 28, 2014 10:41AM

Lake Accotink. We swam there in the mid 70's, at the far end of lake.

Posted by: accostinker ()
Date: August 30, 2014 07:47PM

NS 13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lake Accotink. We swam there in the mid 70's, at
> the far end of lake.

Go upstream at the end of the lake for a 1/4 mile or so, stream turns east I guess, good spot to swim. Used to be a killer rope swing there back in the seventies/eighties but fcpa cut the fucking tree down around '89 or so. You can still dive in there but Wade first for obstructions. We had a lot of parties at night there, good times then.

Posted by: Mark Spitz ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:55PM

Is Lake Barcroft open yet? Summer's almost offer you know.

Posted by: Reston ()
Date: August 30, 2014 11:35PM

Lobo Alumnus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lake Anne
> Lake Anna
> Deep Creek Lake

Not legally in Lake Anne- Of course in high school all the SLHS kids would break the rules. Even go skinny dipping at night.

Swimming is prohibited in Reston's lakes and ponds. The bodies of water include lakes Anne, Audubon, Thoreau and Newport, as well as Butler and Bright ponds. Reston has ample opportunities for swimming, with 14 outdoor pools available during the summer. The lakes are designed for storm-water management and are not maintained or monitored for swimming. There are no lifeguards and often few people around during the daytime. Parents are reminded to discuss the hazards of lake swimming with their children.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.