HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Thoughts about South Lakes and the ED program
Posted by: Reston - here we come! ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:16PM

Came to the area recently, and we are trying to decide if we can safely send our daughter (16) to South Lakes. She has an IEP, needs special services, but we are trying to also mainstream. Anyone with knowledge of principal, AP of special ed, safety record, sports, etc. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts about South Lakes and the ED program
Posted by: RestonToneLocIan ()
Date: August 21, 2014 10:45PM

Reston - here we come! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Came to the area recently, and we are trying to
> decide if we can safely send our daughter (16) to
> South Lakes. She has an IEP, needs special
> services, but we are trying to also mainstream.
> Anyone with knowledge of principal, AP of special
> ed, safety record, sports, etc. Thank you.

If by IEP you mean "incredibly eatable pu$$y" then you are in the right place! They also have some pretty good alternative ed programs, if your kid can survive the gauntlet of some of the black kids.

Posted by: Try Citi-Data ()
Date: August 21, 2014 11:54PM

Post your question on citi-data for real answers, unlike the troll post above.

Posted by: Christy C. ()
Date: August 22, 2014 12:28AM

Though fcps has a good reputation, their reputation for special ed services is not favorable and services are being cut drastically. They will talk the talk and tell you all your daughter's needs will be met, but in reality she will be a number pushed through the system until she graduates.

You need an advocate to navigate the fcps system. I encourage you to invest a few hours of your time talking with a reputable advocate so you can then make an educated decision for your daughter's educational placement.

DCUrbanmoms special needs forums will have he answers your are seeking.

Good luck to your family. Welcome to the area. I wish I could offer you more optimism, but the reality is FCPS does not have a good reputation for taking care of special needs kids, especially with the ED label.

Go here:

http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/list.page

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: August 22, 2014 02:22AM

For help and advice re fcps se, check out the Resource Center in Dunn Loring and CHADD, a non-profit. Don’t ever come here and be serious or personal.
W A R N I N G ***** W A R N I N G ****** W A R N I N G

Posted by: teacher ()
Date: August 22, 2014 06:09AM

As a 30+ year FCPS vet - not spec. ed teacher, I can assure you that people MOVE to Fairfax to get the FCPS services. Each school has a different set of teachers and I cannot speak to SL, but I assure you that as a district we have the resources and the programs. I have sat in numerous IEP meetings with professional advocates and for the most part they push for students to be "fixed" and not become self-reliant. I have had special ed students leave my senior level class to be on the dean's list at college. Posters are right that trolls infect this forum. Go to SL and speak to the spec. ed chair. Welcome to FCPS!

Posted by: apple ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:44AM

At some FCPS elementary schools they are happy to label your kid LD - to up the numbers for staffing purposes. LD teachers want to be assigned to the cushy suburbs. Don't want to go where the greatest need exists, some sketchy area with a lot of poor kids. High school LD services are not quite as plum an assignment. The LD teachers have more pressure to produce results.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.