HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Local hikes
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: April 10, 2007 10:22PM

This topic has came up here about a year ago, but I'll bring it up again.

Can anybody recommend any cool day hikes in the area, preferably within 1-2 hours away? I've already done the trails at Harpers Ferry, the North Peaks Trail @ Sugarloaf, MD and the Billygoat trail at Great Falls, which are ideally good & close. Any other suggestions? I hear stuff about PW Forest, are there any good hikes down there?

If anyone has good ideas, please post them

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local hikes
Posted by: mariokart ()
Date: April 10, 2007 10:28PM

if you can drive 2 hours, you reach teh shenandoah valley south of where you are right now. the whole fucking place is a camp site, Oh you were talking about hikes, how about going on I-95 until you reach DC?

Date: April 10, 2007 10:41PM

mariokart

I should have added: children need not respond.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: April 10, 2007 10:44PM

the appalachian trail on the north end of the shenandoah national park.
Caution, park somewhere in the park itself, one of the starting points just outside the park on the north has a habit of cars being broken into since the guys know you are out somewhere on the trail and not likely to be returning anytime soon.
Maps can be had at the hudson trail outfitters in fairfax.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 10, 2007 10:47PM

Please be cautious of illegal drug growing at shenendoah

The stories may or may not be overblown, however, I would not want to risk stumbling into one. Those motherfuckers have little choice but to shoot to kill.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: April 10, 2007 10:55PM

Try Skyline Drive. Lots of great day hikes. I did one and it had some cool cabins and a large stream at the half way point. The girl who put the hike together had a book that listed all the features on the trials. Awesome book but I don't remember the name. I think this is the book http://books.google.com/books?id=mU0dre0BsMAC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=skyline+drive+hughes+river&source=web&ots=t96jJ1OH1J&sig=fiRfDWlwVSSmjYwuY606BSgWGvo#PPA23,M1.

Here are some pictures of the Corbin cabins. The book said they were used by moonshiners and people who were hiding from the governement.

Locally the Great Falls trails that follow the river are pretty cool.
Attachments:
firstcabin.JPG
DSCF0067.JPG
hughesriver.JPG

Date: April 10, 2007 11:09PM

Locally the Great Falls trails that follow the river are pretty cool.

I've hiked the Billygoat trails on the MD side many times, and they are pretty awesome, especially for a trail so close to the Beltway. Best hike in the whole NoVA area, IMO.

illegal drug growing at shenendoah

I would not be afraid of coming across this. LOL, I'd actually welcome it. Cautiously, of course. It would be actually be pretty awesome.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about the trails out around Skyline, but I was looking for something a little closer driving-wise.

FWIW, I hiked around Point Lookout and Calvert Cliffs this past weekend. Cool stuff down in that part of Southern MD, despite the freezing cold wind & weather. It's definitely worth a trip down there when it's warm.

Date: April 10, 2007 11:40PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please be cautious of illegal drug growing at
> shenendoah
>
> The stories may or may not be overblown, however,
> I would not want to risk stumbling into one.
> Those motherfuckers have little choice but to
> shoot to kill.

I don't think you would have a problem this time of year, there would be nothing growing. Maybe in the Fall.

On that note: "This one looks just a sow... let me hear ya squeal like a pig boyyyy" http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=0qz4L1O84_I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2007 11:48PM by Lurker..

Date: April 10, 2007 11:48PM

Great film.

To this day I always wondered if their friend really got shot, or just killed himself out of desperation.

Lurker. Wrote:
> This one looks just a sow... let me hear ya squeal
> like a pig boyyyy

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: April 11, 2007 12:00AM

Dear meeper,

I love to hike too.Some of my favorite close places are; Bull Run Mountain conservancy in Fauquier County. Google it and you will find directions. I also really like Thompson Wildlife management area. It's near an apple orchard and the trail connects with the Appalachian trail. There is a trout pond at the trail head but I just head on up the mountain and the views of the valleys below are just beautiful. Third, is Old Rag. I usually do this one on a weekday as it gets crowded on the weekends. I have heard Prince William Forest is nice but I hike alone and my husband won't let me go there by myself. For a close in hike in Fairfax County, Huntley meadows is very easy and you can get some great pics. Last week I went to Bull Run Regional Park in Mannassas and the bluebells were out. It was a great hike but not very hilly. For more hills and close in to Fairfax, try Fountainhead regional Park. If you are really energetic, it's 18 miles to Bull Run Marina with several places on the way to stop and eat lunch or take a little snooze.
You can also go to localhikes.com and put in your zip code and they will also list hikes and tell you about them. REI also has several books about hiking in Virginia. Hiking is one of my favorite things to do. Oh and I also like to kayak. I hope you have fun and be sure to take lots of water.

Hugs to the Meeper,

Trickie

Date: April 11, 2007 12:20AM

Bull Run Mountain conservancy does look pretty cool! Here's the link http://www.fobr.org/gallery.html

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 11, 2007 12:39AM

I'd recommend hemlock overlook if that one coont hadn't gotten lost there last year.

Date: April 11, 2007 11:46AM

Trickie- hey thanks alot for your info, you mentioned a couple places I'm not familiar with, I will definitely check them out. I might try to swing down to Fountainhead this weekend, I haven't heard of the place and it looks interesting. I do have a one of those Hiking in NoVA books, but it's almost all stuff over an hour away, and I sorta like I like not having to drive out to the Shenandoah every time I want to go for a hike.

Question, why won't you hike at PW Forest alone? Is there something dangerous about the place?

Thanks again.

Posted by: hang over ()
Date: April 11, 2007 11:55AM

Meep, you could always take a quick run down Benning Road in S.E. DC if you want to get that heart rate up.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 11, 2007 01:00PM

or red rocks overlook near Leesburg. Overlooks the River.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: April 11, 2007 01:30PM

You are welcome, Meeper. If you go to Fountainhead, wear hiking or trail shoes because it is rocky and there are some hills. Be sure not to go all the way to the Park office. Just turn right when you see the big parking lot and follow the blazes on trees directing you toward Bull Run Marina. There are some old tiny family plots and about 4 miles in, a meadow with lots of deer eating. Soon after you will come to a picnic table and that's where I sit in the sun, have lunch etc. I love that park.
There is nothing wrong with Prince William Forest that I know of. I just do not know much about it so I would hike there with a friend first. My husband is always such an alarmist. Every time he reads about someone getting eaten by a bear or some person getting killed by a murderer on a trail, he loves to show it to me and say "See what happens when people hike all alone". He gets almost gleeful about it. he still brings up those two lesbo girls who were murdered in the Shenandoah a few years ago.
Oh the Thompson Wildlife place is in Markham Va. You can Google it to find directions.

Hugs, trickie

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 16, 2007 06:23PM

Ahh yep ive been to a lot of those place you metioned trickie, they are pretty good. Ive never been to fountain head, will check that out.

Closest hike: Bull Run trail or stone bridge trail at manasass battlefield
(Actually burke lake might be closer but that is not a hike)
Ive done all those, bull run trail has some hills and mud and cliff but nothing liek shanadoahs.

Prince William park is very similar to Burke Lake.

Ive done billy goat trail 50 billion times. I always try to climb to different cliff every time i go there.

The shanandoahs: Theres so many trails there and few people to patrol them...
But theres a good selection of hard and easy trails. Ive done White Oak canyon falls and old rag (a harder one) and s bunch of others.

Camelbak=good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2007 06:25PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: MDJ87 ()
Date: April 17, 2007 10:31PM

I don't know what kind of hikes you're looking for but I use to do a thing called Letterboxing (http://www.letterboxing.org/). On that site theres a list of "letterboxes" located around parks around the world. The hikes vary in length but it's great fun. You hike through the woods looking for a box that contains a book. In the book is a log of everyone who has found that letterbox. Each box also contains an ink stamp thats original for that box.

Date: April 20, 2007 01:31PM

Here's some small hikes in Reston. Reston has a ton of paved paths that connect all over the place. - http://www.restonpaths.com/TwinBranches/index.htm Click on the yellow markers to see pictures.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: April 24, 2007 10:10AM

My husband played golf with these people who told him about a great place to hike. it's called Sky Meadows State Park. You go down route 50 past Middleburg. Then turn left on route 17. (Better check directions on the web site) There are tons of trails. It's in delaplane, Va. Thanks to all for the suggestions in the posts above.

Trickie

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 24, 2007 10:28PM

Ahh forgot aobut that one. Ive been there as well, it hooks into the appilachian trail. The hills arent too bad, but there is this one on an out-of park acess trail that must be a 50 degree slope. It was thru a powercut and was really steep and at least 500 feet long.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: April 26, 2007 10:06AM

For the hikers,

In this month's Washingtonian Magazine, on pages 97, 98, and 99 some hikes nearby or within a 50 mile raduis are mentioned. It's the Washingtonian that just came out with a man and lady on the beach on the cover. I am going to Sky Meadows tomorrow with my friend.

Hugs, Trickie

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: April 26, 2007 10:45AM

hang over Wrote:
> Meep, you could always take a quick run down
> Benning Road in S.E. DC if you want to get that
> heart rate up.

I've done it, though only during the day.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: May 30, 2007 10:47PM

Reston Hikes and Paths. Plus links to other sites - http://www.restonpaths.com/

Posted by: Great Falls ()
Date: September 20, 2021 05:39PM

If you haven’t tried, you a bamma. Jump off Key bridge Brother Nig Nogs.

https://youtu.be/3py-hfHDz58

https://youtu.be/i0GXj5pFpLU

Posted by: Hey Meeper ()
Date: September 20, 2021 08:01PM

How bout you "hike" up your skirt and get some of this...
Attachments:
Gay1.gif

Posted by: Wow buddy I’m next ()
Date: September 20, 2021 11:49PM

https://youtu.be/r0Sy4twXSn0

Niggers are Homos
Attachments:
F2E59B10-88E4-4FA7-8513-791294FFD229.jpeg

Posted by: Golden Girls ()
Date: September 20, 2021 11:56PM

Derp

https://youtu.be/wSuOlMedzlw

Niggers Suck
Attachments:
500C4C0D-5905-432F-954B-E4A4D4E79DD6.jpeg
3481543E-A48B-4484-9A99-F5EAE385A2C2.jpeg
1E8A9A3C-0BE8-4974-98BE-C8280E7357C8.jpeg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.