HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what will happen if you completely stop watching local news for a couple of months?(Fairfax or otherwise)
Posted by: Corrie ()
Date: March 06, 2009 01:45AM

what will happen if you completely stop watching local news for a couple of months?(Fairfax or otherwise)

heck, what if you completely stop watching any news?(local, national, global)

just wondering....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what will happen if you completely stop watching local news for a couple of months?(Fairfax or otherwise)
Posted by: Alberto ()
Date: March 06, 2009 02:57AM

Ask the average american. Too many people don't know what is going on in the world. They are more informed about the latest scandal in Hollywood or what the hot new designer is or whatever.

We live in a unique place. We're so close to Washington that we are more involved with the news than most people. I know people living in the midwest and the south who never watch the news. They may "read the newspaper", but it turns out they read the comics and the sports page, and if they happen to have a few stocks, they might even read a few pages of the business section, or maybe skim through the stock prices.

However, I cancelled my cable about 2 months ago, and I just download the shows I want to watch or watch them on Hulu. I basically hooked my PC up to my LCD and can watch anything I want whenever I want. But obviously I can't watch CNN or the local news or the nightly news or anything like that. I have to seek out news articles online, instead. It has left me a little less informed, or maybe a little less caught up in certain issues is a better way of putting it. In some ways it has allowed me to avoid the partisan bias and to gather the information on my own terms so that I can form my own opinion rather than being bombarded with any particular point of view.

So, if you are inclined to stay informed it probably won't make you completely unaware of current events, but if you're like a lot of people (most of whom already avoid being informed) it could make you completely unaware of current events.

Re: what will happen if you completely stop watching local news for a couple of months?(Fairfax or otherwise)
Posted by: Please Log In To Be Funny ()
Date: March 06, 2009 06:38AM

I haven't had broadcast television, or cable in years. It's actually rather nice.

Just watch the news once and count how many deaths, chases, etc. there are. This stuff isn't news!

I learn more about what is actually going on in America from BBC than I do from the ratings hoarding broadcast news channels.

Life is happier.

If I need news, I get a podcast version, or just listen to talk radio at the top of the hour.

Sometimes I'm a little behind the ball when it comes to world events, but eventually if it is important, I'll hear about it, and then I can go check it out.

By the way, good luck to LBJ in the next election.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: March 06, 2009 06:58AM

I havent watched local news for a long long time (a dozen years or more). It was full of commercials, bullshit, murder, bad weathergussing,murder, stupid jokes and about 1% useful information. Of course they managed to turn it into a 4pm to 7pm show.

10 min. listening to WTOP is usually plenty. Scan the Post once or twice a week. Dont waste your life on the garbage.

Posted by: yupper ()
Date: March 06, 2009 09:12AM

Stopped watching local news a long time ago. I don't need a daily barrage of murders and mayhem.

I also stopped watching other news shows several years ago when news became widely available on the web. Too much sensationalism and opining on the news shows, too much celebrity and showiness, and too many commercials.

I check the Washington Post online and a few other online news sources daily. Often leads to links to other interesting sources of news as well. I find this to be much more informative and much less sensationalistic than tv news.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: March 06, 2009 11:19AM

I was sick at home a few weeks ago and watched the mid-day news. It took me about ten minutes to remember why I quit watching it in the first place;

They teased with a headline of "How can drinking water be worse than smoking?"

Of course, I stayed tuned to that channel hoping to get the story. Turns out, it was about how drinking from a bottle, usually water, can give you wrinkles around your lips, much like a smokers because you have to perse your lips in the same way. This apparently leads to those wrinkles, much like cigarette smokers get after prolonged use. That's how drinking water can be worse than smoking.

I felt like a big sucker.

I turned off the TV and try not to watch it anymore, you actually know less after watching local news than before because their version is usually filled with misinformation and their fact-checking is loose. Its garbage. Its entertainment. Its not reporting.

Posted by: Corrie ()
Date: March 06, 2009 11:30AM

who needs the local and national news
when you've got FAIRFAX UNDERGROUND?

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: March 06, 2009 01:53PM

Wow...what great legs....love em! I think it very appropriate that the one show that people want to give are the news shows...Im personally surprised any of you watch anyhting but cartoons.

Posted by: Ian ()
Date: March 06, 2009 02:40PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow...what great legs....love em!

You do realize that's the picture of the female teacher
who had sex with her 14-year-old male student, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_LaFave

not something that I want to see in the news...

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 06, 2009 03:22PM

Ian Wrote:

> You do realize that's the picture of the female
> teacher
> who had sex with her 14-year-old male student,
> right?

Deborah LaFave? Man, I am embarassed I know her name. She is hot though crazy.

Dono,Yupper,JayBee all have it right- the local news is mostly superficial horseshit- bad weather reports and even the local stories that are right down the street are over sensationalized. But TV news is a money-making game. If it was a real public service, the focus would not be on what it is.

I burned out on the locals in 89 or 90 when they used to run this half hour local crime segment on Fox 5 called "City Under Siege". It was while DC was murder capital and crack was really big, but it was very demonstrative on how tabloid and pandering the locals are. the teaser headlines are always sexier than whats delivered and the 'consumer' segments are basically written for shut-ins and dingbat housewives.

Posted by: asshat ()
Date: March 07, 2009 05:14AM

Corrie Wrote:
> what will happen if you completely stop watching
> local news for a couple of months?(Fairfax or
> otherwise)
>
> heck, what if you completely stop watching any
> news?(local, national, global)
>
> just wondering....

i wouldnt call pretty much anything thats shown on local/cable news channels actual news. Its become so dumbed down, so people can digest 15 second soundbites over their morning coffee. I call this the "fox news effect", When they started shifting from news to getting ratings. It no longer matters what is actually happening, but rather how many high speed chaces, child murders, or fluff stories (think NBC 4's "ask liz" segment) you can stuff into an hour broadcast. There is no news... news is dead. I think people just dont want to get depressed or something, anyways, I'd say the internet is as close as you can get to unbiased news - sure anyone can write whatever they want, but you can check multiple sources to get the gist of the story. I like to go to infowars.com to get all the latest conspiricy news out there.

Posted by: asshat/patriot ()
Date: March 07, 2009 05:16AM

Ian Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow...what great legs....love em!
>
>
> You do realize that's the picture of the female
> teacher
> who had sex with her 14-year-old male student,
> right?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debra_LaFave
>
>
> not something that I want to see in the news...

that shouldnt be in the news... because it should be the norm... every 15 year old dude out there should be bangin hot teachers. THAT IS WHAT AMERICA WAS FOUNDED ON! I for one am not gonna shit on George Washingtons grave by not having sex with these hot teachers- its just unamerican.

Posted by: Dave W ()
Date: March 07, 2009 07:38AM

asshat/patriot Wrote:
>
> that shouldnt be in the news... because it should
> be the norm... every 15 year old dude out there
> should be bangin hot teachers. THAT IS WHAT
> AMERICA WAS FOUNDED ON! I for one am not gonna
> shit on George Washingtons grave by not having sex
> with these hot teachers- its just unamerican.

I feel so ashmed for not doing my patriotic duty when I was 16 years old.
The best I ever did was hugging the teacher whom I had a crush on. (feeling
her well-endowed front end... and shapely rear end in the process)

All she did in return was giving me a kiss on the lips. Sometimes we'd hold hands while she gave me a ride home...

Posted by: dono ()
Date: March 07, 2009 07:49AM

Firstly that Pedophile is fairly attractive physically - too bad one would probably vomit if forced to have a conversation with her.

Secondly an observation - the gym I work out at has a dozen screens on at any given time ('cardio theater') I have the option to view several news programs and they really are just junk. It is interesting to see which stories 'lead' with the different channels. Fox news just harps away at the RNC talking point du jour. They almost always have incorrect or sensationalized tags or crawls below the story. The local news is always man-on-the-street at the latest homicide, robbery, stabbing, shooting, kid-run-over-by-bus, house-fire or pot-hole story.

I honestly prefer the babbling sports shows or Judge Judy or most of the time just listen to teh tunes...

Posted by: Mary ()
Date: March 07, 2009 08:49AM

Actually the news is depression.
I only watch it maybe once in awhile.
If the news had anything good to say I would watch it more.

Then I don't think enough people keep up with what is going on in the world, If they did the world would not be in the condtion it is in right now.

I think more people should read like it use to be instead of listening to the radio, playing video games, and playing on instant messanger.

Don't even go there about me writing on this board! You all know what I mean.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 09, 2009 11:40AM

Corrie Wrote:
> who needs the local and national news
> when you've got FAIRFAX UNDERGROUND?
>
> http://www.nypost.com/seven/12042007/photos/teache
> r2.jpg

I would fuck her until my dick fell off. Then I would have a dick transplant, and keep going.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 09, 2009 07:34PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> I would fuck her until my dick fell off. Then I
> would have a dick transplant, and keep going.

file.php?2,file=5427

sounds painful

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: March 09, 2009 07:57PM

>:)
Attachments:
15551.O+RLY%3F%20YA+RLY!!1!.jpg

Posted by: Shakey ()
Date: March 17, 2009 05:07AM

Nothing at all will happen. I do not watch TV at all, do not read the newspaper, do not listen to radio at all, and do not go to internet news sites.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: March 17, 2009 05:57AM

Blood pressure will return to normal!

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: March 17, 2009 07:05AM

The average comment on here might be more intelligent.

Posted by: WUSAJLARC ()
Date: March 17, 2009 12:35PM

Local news is all fluff and a waste of your time - try BBC, PBS, NPR - they at least give you real news & tell you what's going on in the world (yes, there are things happening outside of the US) and not dribble about latest stabbing, how to lose weight, non-stop traffic & weather on the 4's, 7's & 9's, abducted little white girls, yadda, yadda.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: March 18, 2009 04:13PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> The average comment on here might be more
> intelligent.

why, so people would be naive enough to believe your ignorant comments?
file.php?2,file=2868
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.