HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
cancelling FIOS
Posted by: FIOS customer ()
Date: August 07, 2014 08:36AM

My FIOS contract is up and I was thinking of calling to cancel. Does anyone here know what sort of deals they will throw at me to stay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cancelling FIOS
Posted by: Eh ()
Date: August 07, 2014 10:02AM

They'll probably not offer much if they're like the others. It seems these companies are more interested in attracting new business than keeping existing customers. I gave Comcast a chance to keep me a month before switching to FIOS, but all they offered was $5 off/month. The customer retention department dude said he could do better, but it was too late. Maybe Verizon will be different, but I doubt it.

Posted by: Medicine_Man ()
Date: August 07, 2014 10:44AM

Eh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They'll probably not offer much if they're like
> the others. It seems these companies are more
> interested in attracting new business than keeping
> existing customers. I gave Comcast a chance to
> keep me a month before switching to FIOS, but all
> they offered was $5 off/month. The customer
> retention department dude said he could do better,
> but it was too late. Maybe Verizon will be
> different, but I doubt it.

Hard to say what they will offer, but the retention team members receive a bonus for "saves" since the cost of acquiring a new customer is at least 10x greater than keeping an existing one. The recent Comcast incident which went viral is a case in point...poorly executed, but the rep was doing his job.

Best strategy is not to start with something like "I am thinking about switching providers, what can you offer?". Are you considering Cox? If so, understand what they are offering new customers...it is probably a sweet deal...and see if Verizon will match it. Likely something along the lines of HBO & Showtime with a 50% discount for 12 months plus a $15-20 monthly bill credit during the contract term (typically 24 months).

In addition, there is a monthly bill credit if you work for Fairfax County/FCPS.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: August 07, 2014 10:59AM

if you cancel, do EVERYTHING by certified mail. get names, confirmation numbers, etc.

i cancelled with them a couple years ago, paid everything, had letters saying i'd paid off everything and was all clear, and yet they still sent collectors after me for monthly bills after i'd cancelled.

bunch of fucking thugs.

Posted by: HelloInThere ()
Date: August 07, 2014 11:49AM

I'm happy with Fios and one thing I really like is their Customer Service
department. It's in Parkersburg, West Virginia and Americans answer the
phone when I call.

Posted by: Fios Customer ()
Date: August 07, 2014 12:59PM

You have to be persistent and stay on the phone until you get the results. You can save money by dropping channels you don't watch. I went from paying $210 a month to $110 with them. They will put you on hold, come back and say I can remove such a channel and you will save $10.00 a month. Tell them no, I want something close to the deals the new customers are getting. She must have put me on hold 10 times and come back with different offers each time.

Posted by: John Q. Verizon ()
Date: August 07, 2014 03:32PM

Sorry, but you cannot cancel FIOS service. That is not one of the options we offer to customers!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.