HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
there are a lot of GPS thefts in Fairfax County, but do they ever steal factory navigation systems?
Posted by: Jo ()
Date: March 03, 2009 12:58PM

I know there are a lot of GPS thefts in Fairfax County,
but do they ever steal factory navigation systems?
How about the aftermarket installed(not portable)
nav systems with flip-out screens or fixed screens?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: there are a lot of GPS thefts in Fairfax County, but do they ever steal factory navigation systems?
Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: March 03, 2009 02:13PM

Dunno, post your address and we'll have an answer for you in the morning.

Re: there are a lot of GPS thefts in Fairfax County, but do they ever steal factory navigation systems?
Posted by: Pi ()
Date: March 03, 2009 11:19PM

Personally, we have had 2 aftermarket non-portable GPS stolen in the past year. We also have had a portable one stolen. The Factory ones have stayed intact.

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: March 04, 2009 09:41AM

Yeah, i had one stolen too...fuckers! But my question is--WHERE are those thieves liquidating all those stolen GPS units. I figured Craigslist, but when i went searching,very few were listed. Hey, I'm not above buying back my stolen GPS, so where the fuck are the sellers?

Posted by: Corben ()
Date: March 04, 2009 01:25PM

I had an Eclipse Electronic aftermarkt navigation system installed. It has
a 7-inch(non-swivel) screen. The systems has a passive anti-theft system.
You have to insert a randome music CD and make the system remember it.

If the system power is cut, you have to remember which music CD you originally
inserted. Otherwise, the system will no longer operate.

The thief will not find out until he tries to power it on.(or perhaps the
person he/she sells it to will find out) It will be a usless piece of
metal to them. Not much help in preventing the theft in the first place,
but at least it will make the system worthless to them.

:)

Posted by: Detroit Thief ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:45PM

I have had factory installed GPS stolen and it is just a sad feeling. I believe the thieves are taking them back to Chop Shops and selling then for next to nothing. I want to leave a car for bait and have them break into the vehicle and get caught by the police. This is so sad for my child who has to worry about his car getting broke into for the GPS system just as much as he is about driving with caution and watching out for getting into an accident. THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: smatguy ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:47PM

My GPS is called reading a fucking map.

Posted by: TefD187 ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:52PM

why do you idiots leave your p-o-r-t-a-b-l-e units in your cars, knowing this has been a problem for years? most of the time they are left in plain view too.
Attachments:
Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

Posted by: don rickles ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:53PM

Corben Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to insert a random music CD and make the
> system remember it.

That's ingenious actually.

Posted by: Ducky ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:57PM

PAWN SHOPS! - ours was distinct and we found it there. One of my children's hoodlum friends had removed it from our car (it was portable).

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 19, 2009 01:02PM

If you're one of the people who takes their GPS off the windshield when you're not in the car, make sure you clean off the suction cup mark, as well. Thieves have been known to look for that to figure out which cars they want to break into.

At worst, they see the mark, break into your car, and steal your shit. At worst, they break into your car, find nothing worth stealing, and you still have to pay to replace a window.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: 4200cc ()
Date: October 19, 2009 03:23PM

Were do you guys live culmore? Ive had the same Gps for 2 years (garmin nuvi) i forget to take it down half the time, never had it stolen.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: October 19, 2009 04:06PM

Someone stole my gps a couple weeks ago. I wasn't to upset as it was 3 yrs old.

I bought a new the next day

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.