HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
got pulled over for using red rear foglight in a blinding snow storm.... was told rear foglights are ILLEGAL in Virginia, is this true?
Posted by: Bostonmelon ()
Date: March 02, 2009 06:47PM

got pulled over for using red rear foglight in a blinding snow storm.... was told rear foglights are ILLEGAL in Virginia, is this true?

it's standard equipment on my car, a single red bulb lights in the rear tailight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: got pulled over for using red rear foglight in a blinding snow storm.... was told rear foglights are ILLEGAL in Virginia, is this true?
Posted by: Opinion ()
Date: March 02, 2009 06:49PM

I think if it's OEM equipment you are ok, specially on Mini's and other European cars. OEM equipments meets DOT standards, cop probably didn't know. Unless you modified the vehicle illegally....

Re: got pulled over for using red rear foglight in a blinding snow storm.... was told rear foglights are ILLEGAL in Virginia, is this true?
Posted by: Bostonmelon ()
Date: March 02, 2009 06:52PM

Opinion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think if it's OEM equipment you are ok,
> specially on Mini's and other European cars. OEM
> equipments meets DOT standards, cop probably
> didn't know. Unless you modified the vehicle
> illegally....

It's stand equipmento n my Audi. Not modified in any way.
(unless you count the OBAMA sticker on the bumper)

By the way, the cop looked awfully young to me... like 21 or 22...
do they really let people that young become cops? I wouldn't
even sell him a beer in my store.(won't even bother asking for ID
because he would look 16 or 17 in civilian clothing) :D

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 02, 2009 07:26PM

But did he ticket or just warn you?

Out of state plates, equipment a cop has never seen and a political sticker will get you everytime

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: March 02, 2009 07:30PM

Bostonmelon Wrote:
> Opinion Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think if it's OEM equipment you are ok,
> > specially on Mini's and other European cars.
> OEM
> > equipments meets DOT standards, cop probably
> > didn't know. Unless you modified the vehicle
> > illegally....
>
> It's stand equipmento n my Audi. Not modified in
> any way.
> (unless you count the OBAMA sticker on the
> bumper)
>
> By the way, the cop looked awfully young to me...
> like 21 or 22...
> do they really let people that young become cops?
> I wouldn't
> even sell him a beer in my store.(won't even
> bother asking for ID
> because he would look 16 or 17 in civilian
> clothing) :D

You have to be 21.

Posted by: Lawman ()
Date: March 02, 2009 08:39PM

Bostonmelon Wrote:
> (unless you count the OBAMA sticker on the
> bumper)
>

That's why you got pulled over...

Just kidding. If it's OEM equipment then you shouldn't have a problem, it may have looked very bright. I've noticed some imports have those LED blue headlights that are awfully bright, yet they're all factory installed.

Posted by: Clueless Driver ()
Date: March 03, 2009 12:53PM

This is the only code section I could find pertaining to fog lights.

§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise, (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, this limitation shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

C. Vehicles equipped with warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027 shall display lighted warning lights as authorized in such sections at all times when responding to emergency calls, towing disabled vehicles, or constructing, repairing, and maintaining public highways or utilities on or along public highways, except that amber lights on vehicles designed with a ramp on wheels and a hydraulic lift with a capacity to haul or tow another vehicle, commonly referred to as "rollbacks," need not be lit while the vehicle is in motion unless it is actually towing a vehicle.

D. The failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices under the conditions set forth in clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall not constitute negligence per se, nor shall violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section constitute a defense to any claim for personal injury or recovery of medical expenses for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

E. No demerit points shall be assessed for failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices during periods of fog, rain, sleet, or snow in violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section.

F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.

Subsections E and F seem to sort of apply to your situation, indirectly. Especially F. It appears the cop needs to pull you over for something else before he can ticket you for violating any provision regarding fog lights.

Posted by: Manure Smells Like Chicken ()
Date: March 03, 2009 06:37PM

All Euro cars have this feature. It's essential in places where there is fog, like England or the Alps even. Since OEM equipment is regulated and approved for sale in this country, then you have the right to use your rear foglights anytime. I would've asked for the VA code or at least a legal interpretation from their HQ. If that were the case, they'd have to ticket over 100,000 euro vehicles on the VA highways.

Posted by: fogthis ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:12PM

the only time those rear ones suck is when some a-hole has illuminated his front fog lights during normal weather and that rear red one comes on, sometimes blinding

Posted by: ffxn8v ()
Date: March 03, 2009 08:26PM

It would be easier to give a proper response if the O/P had cited the code they were written the ticket for...

Manure Smells Like Chicken Wrote:
> All Euro cars have this feature. It's essential
> in places where there is fog, like England or the
> Alps even. Since OEM equipment is regulated and
> approved for sale in this country, then you have
> the right to use your rear foglights anytime. I
> would've asked for the VA code or at least a legal
> interpretation from their HQ. If that were the
> case, they'd have to ticket over 100,000 euro
> vehicles on the VA highways.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.