HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Elderly Virginia couple in their mid-90's, fight to stay married
Posted by: News Patrol! ()
Date: August 04, 2014 05:03AM

Virginia couple fights to stay married
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/virginia/2014/07/31/virginia-couple-fights-stay-married/13395503/

VIRGINIA (WUSA9) -- If love is blind then age and race shouldn't matter. Eddie Harrison, 95, and Edith Hill, 96, are in love. To this mixed-race couple that's all that matters.

Edith recalled the couple's first encounter.

"He was so nice to me. You know, a lot of times people act like they don't see you," said Edith.

When they first met, seeing Edith wasn't the problem. Hearing, that's what Eddie has trouble with.

But he always seems to hear Edith.

They met over a winning lotto ticket they played together and split the $2500 prize.

If you ask them how they met they both let out deep belly laughs "We were gamblers" says Eddie.

It happened at a store they both frequented.

"The next time I went to the store he was there, waiting for me," recalled Edith, letting out another laugh.

They spent the next 10 years as companions. Just last month, the two decided to make it official.

"We became married - husband and wife," said Eddie.

He helps her with seeing, she helps him with hearing. Eddie provides them with supplemental insurance, Edith provides them coverage for prescription drugs. They just seem to complete each other.

"We've never had an argument since we've been together," said Eddie.

Life is too short to argue. Even at 95 and 96, Eddie and Edith still want more time together. But they may not get it.

"She's 96 and he's 95, just let them be happy," said Rebecca Wright, Edith's daughter.

Wright and her sister, Edith's other daughter, are Edith's co-guardians. Wright's sister is now fighting her for full custody of Edith.

"She wants to sell my mother's house. She wants the money," explained Wright.

If Wright's sister wins, it could be Eddie and Edith who lose, as Edith would either have to move to Florida with the sister or be sent to a home.

"She's not gonna separate us, this man and me," said Edith, pointing to Eddie. "They're not gonna separate us," added Eddie. "No, we're not gonna let them."

The sisters are scheduled to have a court hearing to decide custody on August 8th.

But Wright suggests it may not only be about money.

"I think it's agism and I also think it's race. I think the laws have changed but the mindsets have not," said Wright.

But Eddie and Edith see something else.

"This is what Edith told me: we see hearts, we don't see color," said Eddie.

And more than what they see, it's what they feel.

"He touched my heart. I fell in love with him," said Edith.

Eddie, holding Edith tight, said "We'll be like this always regardless of what happens."
Attachments:
eddie%20and%20edith.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Elderly Virginia couple in their mid-90's, fight to stay married
Posted by: UJ9pV ()
Date: August 04, 2014 06:13AM

Now THIS is love.

THANK YOU for this. It just made my day!

Posted by: wally ()
Date: August 04, 2014 08:23AM

They're in love. Their families should just stay out of it. Geez, with all the hate in the world these two are a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: This is dreadful! ()
Date: August 04, 2014 10:59AM

95 years old and the family want to put them through this nonsense. Leave this lovely couple in peace to enjoy what time they have left together.

Posted by: Not a fan ()
Date: August 04, 2014 11:27AM

Snicker Licker

Posted by: susan collins ()
Date: November 24, 2017 11:46PM

Who could be so mean to pull them apart, at the age they are to have found love leave them live out their full lives and tell the daughter to sell the house when its time...don't put them out of this marriage..dear God has blessed them they wont make it without each other...honor your mother...till death comes to her door... and be glad for him loving her...no way would I treat my mother like this and make her sell..no way...you should be glad you have her as I lost mine at the age of 52..so enjoy the love she has in her life and respect her until one day she is not here you will wish you did not part her from her husband...why cant he come with her I will never understand this treatment of your mother the most precious love you will ever know.

Posted by: Mother Teresa ()
Date: November 26, 2017 12:19PM

One good daughter, one greedy leech of a daughter. If I were the judge, this would be an easy decision.

Posted by: nog obliterator ()
Date: November 26, 2017 04:48PM

You dimwits should use this as your trigger event this week.

Go protest on the dude's grave - since he died three years ago.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: November 27, 2017 11:34AM

Greedy daughter can't even wait for mom to die before selling the house. Shameful.

Great heartwarming story otherwise.

Posted by: Malcolm-xXx ()
Date: November 27, 2017 12:49PM

When will whites stop living in fear of blacks, and just let them lay with their white bretheren?

Posted by: Time to Investigate ()
Date: November 27, 2017 01:27PM

The greedy black daughter no doubt killed the white geezer.

Posted by: Bring back Loving vs Supreme CT! ()
Date: November 27, 2017 04:02PM

Was wondering why they had a
“Once u go black u never come back” at the front door of SUNRISE Oakton!

Burn the coal, pay the toll!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.