HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Will Metro destroy Tysons Corner?
Posted by: Mr. T ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:17PM

All of the developers and politicians think Metro will be a boon to Tysons Corner. But what if Metro has the opposite effect and turns Tysons into the boondocks?

I went to Walmart at Tysons yesterday (1st day of Metro service) and discovered that Walmart plans to start charging a fee for using its parking lot to discourage Metro riders from parking their cars there. The Walmart parking lot was already the most poorly designed parking lot in Tysons Corner, and now they have made it even worse by reconfiguring the lot to accommodate the long line of cars that will be waiting to pay on the way out. Even if Walmart provides free validated parking for customers, the parking lot will still be very inconvenient to use and require a long wait just to get out of the lot.

If all of the other “formerly free” parking lots at Tysons do the same thing in response to Metro, there could be a huge consumer backlash, and customers will take their business elsewhere. As a result, many stores will close, and Tysons may never recover. All thanks to Metro!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will Metro destroy Tysons Corner?
Posted by: the stores still free ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:39PM

Its still free parking at Walmart. Learn to read. First 2 hours. What the fuck are you doing at the retail stop there for more than 2 hours other than commuting using the parking lot you dumb cunt.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:44PM

If you listen to Tysons promoters, it doesn't matter whether anti-car measures will drive away those who don't live or work at Tysons. So many more people will live and work in Tysons and so many more people who have access to Metro will come that they will more than make up the loss.

Posted by: OP still fails ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:50PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you listen to Tysons promoters, it doesn't
> matter whether anti-car measures will drive away
> those who don't live or work at Tysons. So many
> more people will live and work in Tysons and so
> many more people who have access to Metro will
> come that they will more than make up the loss.

OP is wrong on the facts. Who cares what the future is. If you are shopping at Walmart and it takes you 2 hours you must be a bit slow and likely shouldnt be driving anywhere without the assistance of the state.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:55PM

That store has the most security/loss prevention I've ever seen for a Walmart. When I went in there they had two uniformed security guards at the door and several employees monitoring the self-checkout lane (versus the usual one)......this was on top of employees that were walking in every aisle asking random people if they needed help with something.

For such an affluent area, they sure don't trust the customers at that store.

Blessed are the murderous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 02:55PM by eesh.

Posted by: makes sense ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:02PM

there aren't that many places in the area for the riff raff to go to

Posted by: Bad white guy BOLO ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:11PM

eesh Wrote:
> That store has the most security/loss prevention
> I've ever seen for a Walmart. When I went in there
> they had two uniformed security guards at the door
> and several employees monitoring the self-checkout
> lane (versus the usual one)......this was on top
> of employees that were walking in every aisle
> asking random people if they needed help with
> something.
>
> For such an affluent area, they sure don't trust
> the customers at that store.

They are just preparing for the influx of new customers from DC.
Attachments:
mob.jpg

Posted by: Mr. T ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:45PM

Some people are missing the point. Even if the first 2 hours of parking are “free,” everybody who parks will have to insert a ticket into the exit gate machine. If the machine says you are under 2 hours, there is no charge and the gate will go up to let you exit. If the machine says you are over 2 hours, you will have to pay before the gate goes up. All of this ticket processing will cause a traffic back-up at the exit gate, and it will take you much longer to leave the parking lot than it does now. This could be a deal-breaker for many customers, especially during the holiday shopping season, resulting in disaster for Tysons Corner. You heard it here first!

Posted by: will not use it ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:48PM

fuck tyson's and fuck the silver back line.

Posted by: alternatively ()
Date: July 27, 2014 04:50PM

eesh Wrote:

Maybe it's not the customers they don't trust, but rather the employees from PG county.

Date: July 27, 2014 05:01PM

OP still fails Wrote:
> OP is wrong on the facts.

It doesn't matter if you actually have to pay or not. Just having to wait in line to get cleared to leave can turn people off. Back in the 1980s I wouldn't go to Skyline Mall because of shit like this.

Now what I didn't think about was why the OP would go to a WalMart in Tysons if he didn't live there. Even if you don't have parking hassles, there is still the hassle of dealing with Tysons traffic and Tysons stop lights.

Posted by: Scooter2 ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:23PM

Wheaton Plaza has a Metro station and they do not use gates at the mall.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 28, 2014 01:17AM

Mr. T Wrote:
> Some people are missing the point. Even if the
> first 2 hours of parking are “free,” everybody
> who parks will have to insert a ticket into the
> exit gate machine. If the machine says you are
> under 2 hours, there is no charge and the gate
> will go up to let you exit. If the machine says
> you are over 2 hours, you will have to pay before
> the gate goes up. All of this ticket processing
> will cause a traffic back-up at the exit gate, and
> it will take you much longer to leave the parking
> lot than it does now. This could be a
> deal-breaker for many customers, especially during
> the holiday shopping season, resulting in disaster
> for Tysons Corner. You heard it here first!

Skyline mall Target has the same ticket system and it fucking sucks getting out of that parking lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 01:17AM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: Not Amish ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:38AM

eesh Wrote:
> That store has the most security/loss prevention
> I've ever seen for a Walmart. When I went in there
> they had two uniformed security guards at the door
> and several employees monitoring the self-checkout
> lane
(versus the usual one)......this was on top
> of employees that were walking in every aisle
> asking random people if they needed help with
> something
>

I don't care what their motives are, maybe I'll start going to that store for the service. Those self-serve kiosks are always locking up because they don't think I put something in a bag and requiring employee logins--and no one is ever around when that happens.

Posted by: Tysons Millionaire ()
Date: July 28, 2014 06:56AM

Mr. T Wrote:
> Some people are missing the point. Even if the
> first 2 hours of parking are “free,” everybody
> who parks will have to insert a ticket into the
> exit gate machine. If the machine says you are
> under 2 hours, there is no charge and the gate
> will go up to let you exit. If the machine says
> you are over 2 hours, you will have to pay before
> the gate goes up. All of this ticket processing
> will cause a traffic back-up at the exit gate, and
> it will take you much longer to leave the parking
> lot than it does now. This could be a
> deal-breaker for many customers, especially during
> the holiday shopping season, resulting in disaster
> for Tysons Corner. You heard it here first!

Ooh noes! A parking gate! How will anyone survive to exit with their FREE validated parking for anyone there less than 2 hours? ? Nobody goes to Trader Joes in Arlington because they have the same system, right?

Posted by: F.U. Tyson ()
Date: July 28, 2014 08:44AM

will not use it Wrote:
> fuck Tyson's and fuck the silver back line.

THIS! I haven't been to Tyson's in years. I avoid that area like the plague, silver line or not. I expect the silver line will increase the darkie count there, but since I won't be there, I don't really care. I have to go to a mall I go to fair oaks. With any luck Tyson's will now draw some of the darkies away from the new Springfield town center dealie when that opens.

Posted by: C.S. ()
Date: July 28, 2014 09:00AM

Tysons has been a mess for years, the Silver Line is only the latest garbage.

I really don't think that this thing will alleviate traffic at all. It will just make the sea of humanity that much larger at the Tyson's area and it was all ready flooded with people to begin with.

Date: July 28, 2014 09:05AM

Tysons Millionaire Wrote:
> Ooh noes! A parking gate! How will anyone survive
> to exit with their FREE validated parking for
> anyone there less than 2 hours? ? Nobody goes to
> Trader Joes in Arlington because they have the
> same system, right?

I know you are shooting for dramatic effect, but on the off chance you really are that stupid:

Many factors influence where people shop and one of them is the "appearance of convenience". To those used to more intensively developed areas where parking is at a premium, an on site pay lot would be considered an advantage, even if on street parking was readily available. To those used to parking not being an issue, that same arrangement has negative connotations. These types of lots usually have fewer entry and exit points, and one person who is not prepared hitting the exit gate at a busy time can really back things up. All other things being equal, they will choose to shop elsewhere. When it comes to Trader Joes in Arlington, there are all other things being equal alternatives, including another Trader Joes not too far away.

Posted by: Mayor Nagan ()
Date: July 28, 2014 09:56AM

Tysons eventually will be known as Chocolate City!!!!

Posted by: Henry's Towing ()
Date: July 28, 2014 10:18AM

Perhaps because most don't own one, posters apparently have little noption of how badly having your car towed off to the middle of nowhere messes up your workday. Not to mention having to pay $200 to get it back once you find it. An ounce of horror stories on the local news is worth a pound of cure. It isn't like parking control is some new science that has to be invented just because the Silver Line opened to Tysons. If you want to use the mall lots as commuter lots, you will pay much, much worse than through the nose for it. I can help make sure of that.

Posted by: NOVAParkingisShitLikeLA ()
Date: July 28, 2014 10:32AM

Common sense: You have to buy one thing and one thing only. Do you prefer to go into a store, buy what you need, and leave, or do you want to have to go in a store, remember to get a ticket, get it validated, go through a gate, wait in line, wait behind someone who doesn't have a ticket and is now stuck, and/or have to pay a fee because of no ticket etc?

All because of some overblown fear of black people--a thing probably started by 60 year old transplant whites from the shithole basket of the country where they never interacted with anyone other than their dumbass clones, and then they come here and do dumb shit like leave expensive shit in their car, doors unlocked etc. so theives intent on theiving grab and go while everyone else is left alone and has never had a problem. "But they steal iphones out of peoples hands on the metro!" Yeah, well Japs do it in Japan, Chinks in China, Slavs, Tatars and Mongols in Russia etc. but no one is bemoaning any of those people for it. Black people weren't even there in Tysons this weekend, really, except older people mostly. There were a bunch of Appletards and Asian young guys and families with 1,000 kids--all the people from VA, not from DC and Maryland. You should be fearing them since they're the ones hopped up on expensive drugs and needing cash. All the Vienna 20-30 somethings are all doped up when not drunk, exchanging their pills for "anxiety" and shit--or just doing coke or designer drugs.

As for communters, they're fucking assholes. They park everywhere all around NOVA and no one does shit about it. Barely any parking spots at a park where a child's camp was today. They can suck a dick. If they're blocked off from clogging one area, they'll clog another. So then you got to deal with some bullshit ticket thing for a shit mall, AND communters being assholes everywhere else, taking spaces for people's houses and work.

Female, white, DC native (yes they exist), have wandered and still wander DC and central Baltimore alone--nothing has ever happened in 20 some years other than people saying hello or talking. Maybe it's because I'm not rich and so don't have designer shit on me or anything of any value. Or it's attitude. I don't know. I have heard many crime stories and usually it's stupid shit. Like staying at a ghetto motel, leaving window down, and leaving expensive device out in the open in a car. I heard that story from a rich family with everyone going "oh my word!" and needing to be cured of the vapors.

Posted by: n3DNX ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:10AM

Bottomline: White people are SCARED of black people. No matter what class they are in.

"Even if you're in a Benz- you're still a nigga in a coupe"- Kanye.

He was right. Even if Oprah and Lebron James came to shop at Tysons in person- they're still "niggers" in the eyes of white people. Remember oprah's purse thing overseas? I thought money was GREEN?

Posted by: Mall Cop ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:19AM

NOVAParkingisShitLikeLA Wrote:
> Common sense: You have to buy one thing and one
> thing only.

Common sense came to an end right there. People got to 7-11 to rush in and buy one thing only. They go to the mall to SHOP. Other than food, they may not end up buying anything at all. Or they might buy bagfuls. But they SHOPPED.

> All because of some overblown fear of black people--

It's like a security blanket thing for them. It lets them cling to the belief that somewhere there are people even less worthwhile than they are themselves. That's all an illusion of course, but there you are.

Posted by: dfasdfasdfdf ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:24AM

Keeping the "undesirables" out of tysons is precisely the reason why the orange line was never originally planned to go through tysons. It is not an afterthought but a caclulated move by the developers of the time to keep undesirables out of Tysons. Same for Georgetown in Dc. Tysons Mall will essentailly become what Pentagon City is today....large number of public transporatations from DC, MD will now become big patrons of the Tysons shopping scene.

Posted by: LmVc3 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:24AM

n3DNX Wrote:
> Bottomline: White people are SCARED of black
> people. No matter what class they are in.

Dude, black people are scared of the black people you have in mind. They are nervous about skinheads, MS-13 boys, and the yacuza as well. Do you see a theme developing here?

Posted by: change will come ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:33AM

If/when the whole area becomes more walkable, cars will not be needed in order to sustain commerce. Of course commerce will change too. You won't have honking big Walmarts. You'll have more restaurants, small groceries/deli, and convenience type shops. This will take time, but will eventually happen. Walmart is a suburban/small town store and really is out of place in Tysons.

Posted by: look in a mirror ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:25PM

dfasdfasdfdf Wrote:
> Keeping the "undesirables" out of tysons is
> precisely the reason why the orange line was never
> originally planned to go through tysons. It is
> not an afterthought but a caclulated move by the
> developers of the time to keep undesirables out of
> Tysons. Same for Georgetown in Dc. Tysons Mall
> will essentailly become what Pentagon City is
> today....large number of public transporatations
> from DC, MD will now become big patrons of the
> Tysons shopping scene.

Yoy should correct Wikipedia because it has a very different story.

In 1976, Robert Patricelli, federal Urban Mass Transportation Administrator, ordered Metro to conduct an alternatives analysis of the portion of its system that was not already under contract.[11] Because the Tysons Corner area of Fairfax County had developed significantly since the ARS was adopted in 1968, the analysis considered rerouting the Orange line to serve Tysons Corner at an additional cost of $60 million. However, because environmental impact statements had already been completed for the Vienna route, a change in the route would result in a five-year delay in the construction of the Orange Line west of Ballston. This prompted the City of Falls Church to sue WMATA for breach of contract. In the end, WMATA kept the Vienna route intact, leaving Tysons Corner without Metrorail service until 2013.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Line_(Washington_Metro)

Perhaps you should take a hint from the fact that Tysons landowners (e.g., West Group) were the biggest proponents of the project.

As for the Metro not going to Georgetown, you are also incorrect.

That Georgetown doesn't have a Metro station has always been the source of a longstanding urban myth. The residents of the tony Northwest neighborhood rejected a station when Metro was first built, goes the myth, because they feared it would allow the city's riff-raff to bring their troublemaking ways to the peaceful area.

Not only is that false — it was largely the neighborhood's geography and location that knocked it out of contention — but Georgetown may eventually get a Metro station after all.
http://wamu.org/news/13/12/05/a_metro_station_in_georgetown_it_could_finally_happen_0

When comes to who and what are "undesirable," people like you are on the list. But thanks for playing.

Posted by: Hipster Heaven ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:49PM

change will come Wrote:
> If/when the whole area becomes more walkable, cars
> will not be needed in order to sustain commerce.
> Of course commerce will change too. You won't
> have honking big Walmarts. You'll have more
> restaurants, small groceries/deli, and convenience
> type shops. This will take time, but will
> eventually happen. Walmart is a suburban/small
> town store and really is out of place in Tysons.

You're just repeating the standard pseudo-urban planning "town center" bullshit. Planners and developers are equally uncreative and followers of the pack and that's the latest development paradigm. Because that may work in some certain places and under particular circumstances doesn't mean that it will in all cases. There are only so many largely younger, single people who really want to live that way and who have the cash and desire to drop $600k on a small condo for some period of time in their lives. Many of them will be having second thoughts after facing the reality of hauling their groceries a mile in mid-February and being limited to places around here that they can only access via public transportation and facing other practical limitations of that lifestyle.

It's one thing to live that life in a true city or other area where you have some particular attraction(s) which may draw you there for various reasons. Entirely another to think that you're going to create some artificial pseudo-urban hipster wonderland out of concrete for no particular reason other than it's worked in some other places and there's development money in doing so and tax money which some think will follow. I've done it in NYC and DC when I was younger. It was a great time for a while. But I and most others did so for given natural reasons. I can't think of a more dismal existence than pretending to do it in some manufactured replica in Tyson's, Merrifield, or Springfield while working as a database programmer for a government contractor in the building next door. That's just kinda pitifully bogus. lol

Posted by: Tyzonz ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:54PM

Tysons is just a collection of shitty chain restaurants, crappy burger joints and endless used car dealerships.
Mixed in between with hideous office buildings.

Posted by: old town Alex resident ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:55PM

Tyzonz Wrote:
> Tysons is just a collection of shitty chain
> restaurants, crappy burger joints and endless used
> car dealerships.
> Mixed in between with hideous office buildings.

+1

I don't see the appeal either.

Date: July 28, 2014 12:58PM

But they wanna be Arlington sooo bad. They want to be Clarendon, Rosslyn and Ballston all in one.

Mom and pop shops in Tysons? Forget about it. This aint old town alexandria.

Aint gonna happen. No matter how much money is wasted on this.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:00PM

Posted by: OMG WHAT A STEAL! ()
Date: July 28, 2014 01:04PM

Live in beautiful Tysons corner today!

http://www.theascenttysons.com/floor-plans/1-bedroom/amaze

Starting at $2,400 for a 1 bedroom! Convenient to Titlemax and Walmart!

Posted by: VEIK ()
Date: July 28, 2014 01:08PM

OMG WHAT A STEAL! Wrote:
> Live in beautiful Tysons corner today!
>
> http://www.theascenttysons.com/floor-plans/1-bedro
> om/amaze
>
> Starting at $2,400 for a 1 bedroom! Convenient to
> Titlemax and Walmart!

That could get you your own SFH in Fairfax County LOL

But you wont get the MALL!

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 28, 2014 01:19PM

This planned apartment complex looks like something out of Dubai....

-

Blessed are the murderous.
Attachments:
Adaire2.jpg

Posted by: shut down DTR! ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:05PM

LmVc3 Wrote:
> n3DNX Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bottomline: White people are SCARED of black
> > people. No matter what class they are in.
>
> Dude, black people are scared of the black people
> you have in mind. They are nervous about
> skinheads, MS-13 boys, and the yacuza as well. Do
> you see a theme developing here?

Yea keep the MS-13 and skinheads in Herndon and Sterling. We don't want them here in the nice part of town. Shut down the dulles toll road! SHUT DOES THE DULLES TOLL ROAD!

None of you garbage people!!!

Posted by: go away, negro ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:49PM

"Even if you're in a Benz- you're still a nigga in a coupe"- Kanye.

Please don't quote stupid rap niggers on FFU........go to some nigger site to quote your nigger lyrics

Posted by: Pimp hand strong ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:50PM

Many prostitutes work out of Tysons Corner hotels and now with the metro open will the quality go down as well as the prices?

Posted by: nigs finally caught in philly ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:58PM

The two niggers who carjacked a woman, sexually assaulted her, and then killed three people on the sidewalk, were captured today.
Two more niggers in jail because of racism, I guess.
And people have nothing to fear from black people, of course. They hardly ever commit violent crimes.

Posted by: SLV ()
Date: July 28, 2014 06:24PM

Why the fuck would Tyson's Corner even be worth saving? Do you know anything culturally significant in Tyson's Corner? Oh, I forget, you trust-fund rejects now have a Panera Bread, how wonderful!

Northern Virginia = New Jersey, and Tyson's Corner is the absolute worst of the worst.

So in conclusion, fuck that place.

Posted by: ffx steve ()
Date: July 28, 2014 08:21PM

Having a ticket system has nothing to do with being afraid of black people. The reason for the gate is to prevent white professionals from Reston and Fairfax filling up the lot all day and taking the subway to their jobs in DC.

Posted by: toe trucker ()
Date: July 28, 2014 08:23PM

will not use it Wrote:
> fuck tyson's and fuck the silver back line.

They're coming for you...
Attachments:
hater hauler.jpg

Posted by: Look beautiful chantilly ()
Date: July 28, 2014 09:24PM

toe trucker Wrote:
> will not use it Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > fuck tyson's and fuck the silver back line.
>
>
> They're coming for you...

Beautiful chantilly. Yea fuck Tysons, who needs it when you have beautiful vistas like this photo shows. God bless chantilly. I hear we are getting a title max soon. Good, next up some llantas usadas

Posted by: 2001SO ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:05PM

NOVAParkingisShitLikeLA wrote:
" Yeah, well Japs do it in Japan, Chinks in China
------------------------------------------------------------------

Who you calling a chink, you racist bitch!
I see you'll call someone a chink, but you cry about people not liking niggers.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.