HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Q1: What LED TV to get? Smart or not? Q2: Qdot or Not?
Posted by: not a troll question ()
Date: January 21, 2021 06:33AM

I have to "upgrade" an old laptop for a sister who is a "light weight PC user at home", who also has a dated TV. 4k TVs as computer monitors popular now - and I must get something. 4k tv cost less than a Dell 2k "computer monitor" and much less than a laptop, so here we go with that thought.

My motif is One and done.

Yes, the number of options is mind numbing topic is: smart or not. Qdot or not?

(1) Get a smart tv with "android" built-in. It can surf the web (android browser), play lightweight games as well as older android phone can at least (can run applications), Sold at stores everywhere.

(1b) Get (if one exists) a dumb 4k tv and add on an nVidia Shield. (other shiedlds are quite poor currently are dumb and slow). it's 1,000x faster at gaming but "my customer" does not like games and will absolutely never use it. nVidia. Also sold at stores everywhere.

($100 off-brand android shields are out of the question there's "no proof they run google apps well" or will get updates. An "abandon and run" job is not what I'm looking for)

(2) VA v. Qdot v. IPS v. OLED. oled is 2x the price and ips is hard to find but still a possible.

(If the unit ends up not meeting her PC needs I'll be hung if I bought an oled price of a nice laptop and she has no money to get a laptop left over)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Q1: What LED TV to get? Smart or not? Q2: Qdot or Not?
Posted by: Am I one and done? ()
Date: January 21, 2021 06:48AM

Surface laptops at BestBuy are $700 and $1,2000 with tiny screens. They've "gone way up". I'm sure I could online shop at Dell or HP `better`.

I could get a "small model? pad?" and have money left over for "new LG LED tv" which is Dumb (streaming Hulu+CNN ranting only), totaling say $1,500.

But is "more gadgetry" the way to go? Windows updates totally make this person impatient and angry. On my win10 PC I have this issue: 24/7 updates - and many are obstructive (100% disk usage and demands to reboot while your "in a hurry and have no time for shinnanigans").

Posted by: Am I one and done? ()
Date: January 21, 2021 07:01AM

(3) I guess I could get a WhoFlue+CNN (LG tv) and tell sis to plug in her iPhone X for her computer needs. But I somehow doubt that will go over well - few want to plug gadgets on every use and it does damage the gadets unless done painfully carefully. Nothing (except TV with android built-in) is going to do that on Wifi without plugging, far as I know.

Date: January 21, 2021 04:43PM

bump

Date: January 21, 2021 04:57PM

bumper

Date: January 22, 2021 10:50AM

bump

Date: January 22, 2021 10:59AM

I saw a youtube of an XBox'er crying "why does this game not load? i click it just sits there" ??!!

------------------------------

XBox told the _fan base for 15 years "we'll allow productivity software and web browsers to run in future updates". 15 years they've been telling that lie.

Nvidia shield - job done 1st release.

XBox policy: damage your kids don't allow any productivity - you can't even get a note pad and save to thumb for grocery list (you need buy lots more PC for that). Big Media, no choices, and too many damn ads.

Set top box policy: Hulu is WhoFlue, stream brain dead content only. Absolutely infamously bad people. Often replace by illegal aliens for no reason and the upgrades still the same: a 10 lb box that can't run donkey kong on a good day, and can't take notes. Only if you want to spin into oblivion will it "talk to you".

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.