HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How is Tysons Corner Mall going to dissuade people from parking their cars in the mall's parking garage and then hopping on the Metro to go to work in DC or spend the day in DC?
Posted by: How? ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:21PM

How is Tysons Corner Mall going to dissuade people from parking their cars in the mall's parking garage and then hopping on the Metro to go to work in DC or spend the day in DC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How is Tysons Corner Mall going to dissuade people from parking their cars in the mall's parking garage and then hopping on the Metro to go to work in DC or spend the day in DC?
Posted by: like this! ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:24PM

While Tysons Corner’s shopping hubs potentially have a lot more customers to look forward to with the opening of Metro’s Silver Line this weekend, that boon comes with a possible frustration: parking.

WMATA officials have acknowledged that parking demand will likely outpace the supply, which leaves the Fairfax neighborhood’s many free parking garages susceptible to scofflaws: Commuters seeking to park for the day in spaces meant for mall employees and customers.

At Tysons Corner Center, which has 12,000 parking spaces within walking distance of the Tysons Corner Metro station, the mall is installing a new parking system that will make it easier to monitor cars going in and coming out — and how long they’re staying.

If you’ve noticed the gates at the mall’s various entrances, fear not: Tysons Corner Center has no intentions of charging for parking, said marketing director Bob Maurer.

Rather, the gates will stay down before and after mall hours to prevent commuters from coming in in the morning. Employees of the mall will have electronic cards that grant them access.

“The priority first and foremost is providing ample parking for shoppers and mall employees, so we want to maintain that,” Maurer said. “The system is meant to deter any potential commuters that think we’re an open lot for the Silver Line.”

The mall will monitor the parking garage and lots and take note of non-employee cars that might be staying for the full workday, for example.

“Should it become a habitual problem, that car will be notified and then ticketed and towed,” Maurer said.

That system comes with a bonus for mall shoppers and employees: A digital display for each level and section showing how many spaces are available in a particular area, which the mall hopes will make things easier for parkers during peak times, said marketing director Bob Maurer.

At Tysons Galleria, mall officials will “take the necessary action to protect our parking lots from any violators so our customers can park,” said mall spokeswoman Grace Tumminelli. She declined to offer further details on the program.

The more upscale mall is likely to be less affected than Tysons Corner Center, in part due to proximity. The Galleria, with its more than 3,000 free parking spaces, is further from the Silver Line station.

Tysons Galleria currently has no gates blocking off their lot; Tumminelli couldn’t say whether they are in the mall’s future.

It’s still hard to tell how much of a problem the parking will be, said Maurer. Similarly hard to predict is how much more business the train will bring.

“That’s the big question right?” he said. “We’re very hopeful and excited about Metro. Metro’s estimate is about 10,000 riders per day, so that’s potentially 10,000 more shoppers per day, where right now we have about 100,000 shoppers per day.”

Re: How is Tysons Corner Mall going to dissuade people from parking their cars in the mall's parking garage and then hopping on the Metro to go to work in DC or spend the day in DC?
Posted by: Easily ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:25PM

First of all, I think they could be making a ton of money if they put in access controls on the upper levels of the garages and made them pay parking during weekdays.

Secondly, a couple years ago I drove into the mall parking lot to wait for someone and just sat in my car for a while. After maybe 15-20 minutes a security guy drove over to my car and told me I had to move it if I was not planning on going into the mall. The security guys have every corner of those lots under surveillance. Plus, the mall does not open until a few hours after most people would be catching the metro in the morning so it would be pretty obvious if a ton of cars just showed up and parked at 7am.

Posted by: notparking ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:58PM

like this! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That system comes with a bonus for mall shoppers
> and employees: A digital display for each level
> and section showing how many spaces are available
> in a particular area, which the mall hopes will
> make things easier for parkers during peak times,
> said marketing director Bob Maurer.

If this is the same system that's been installed on level six, oh boy... disaster incoming. That system never worked properly. There were plenty of times a green (or red) light would be on for the wrong reason.

Posted by: Vulture ()
Date: July 24, 2014 07:44PM

They won't park their cars there when the Negroes start breaking in them.

Posted by: Local contractor ()
Date: July 24, 2014 07:52PM

Right now they have security patrolling the fuck out of the garages. Over by Macy's they make all of the contractors working on that new building park on the top level. If you even look as if you are a tradesman, they're on you like a hawk.

Posted by: count on it ()
Date: July 24, 2014 07:54PM

Local contractor Wrote:
> . If you even look as if you
> are a tradesman, they're on you like a hawk.

This is true, Like stink on shit.

Posted by: didn't you hear? ()
Date: July 24, 2014 08:14PM

No worries.. no one will use the silver line..they're all waiting for the streetcar

Posted by: News Editor ()
Date: July 24, 2014 09:35PM

Fixed it: "Metro’s estimate is about 10,000 riders per day, so that’s potentially 10,000 more shoplifters per day...”

Posted by: L4MET ()
Date: July 24, 2014 10:41PM

Oh maybe someday soon, the local "planners" will realize that they should have constructed motherfucking parking lots at these new Metro stations. You know, like was done for other stations like Vienna, Dunn Loring, Falls Church, Springfield, Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook, White Flint, Grosvenor, Glenmont, Wheaton, Forest Glen, Silver Spring, Takoma, Greenbelt, College Park, Hyattsville, New Carrolton, Landover, Cheverly, Deanwood, Minnesota, Largo, Addison Road, Capitol Heights, Branch Ave, Suitland, Naylor, Southern Ave, Anacostia, and Huntington stations. And some of those are REAL urban areas where people actually live within walking distance.

So fucking stupid. In their whole "we're going to be special snowflakes with our own urban center" mad dash metrosexual self-celebratory circle-jerk, they failed to gauge that pesky thing called "reality."

Posted by: cherry ()
Date: July 24, 2014 10:51PM

Along with no parking or sidewalks the Metro is the cherry on top of the Tysons Corner shit sandwich sundae. Bravo planners, bravo.

Posted by: Don't get it ()
Date: July 24, 2014 11:03PM

Just why would you NOT have public parking at metro stops? I guess people will take a bus to get to the metro and leave their shinny new BMW parked at home..Like that's going to happen.

Posted by: Y679P ()
Date: July 25, 2014 01:49AM

Don't get it Wrote:
> Just why would you NOT have public parking at
> metro stops? I guess people will take a bus to get
> to the metro and leave their shinny new BMW parked
> at home..Like that's going to happen.

Post columnist "Dr. Gridlock" has written about this. Apparently "no garages" was a deliberate decision intended to reduce (or at least not increase) traffic congestion in the area. I guess all those new stations are just for people who can walk to them.

Posted by: Amen brotha amen ()
Date: July 25, 2014 02:21AM

L4MET Wrote:
> Oh maybe someday soon, the local "planners" will
> realize that they should have constructed
> motherfucking parking lots at these new Metro
> stations. You know, like was done for other
> stations like Vienna, Dunn Loring, Falls Church,
> Springfield, Shady Grove, Rockville, Twinbrook,
> White Flint, Grosvenor, Glenmont, Wheaton, Forest
> Glen, Silver Spring, Takoma, Greenbelt, College
> Park, Hyattsville, New Carrolton, Landover,
> Cheverly, Deanwood, Minnesota, Largo, Addison
> Road, Capitol Heights, Branch Ave, Suitland,
> Naylor, Southern Ave, Anacostia, and Huntington
> stations. And some of those are REAL urban areas
> where people actually live within walking
> distance.
>
> So fucking stupid. In their whole "we're going to
> be special snowflakes with our own urban center"
> mad dash metrosexual self-celebratory circle-jerk,
> they failed to gauge that pesky thing called
> "reality."

giphy.gif

Posted by: How soon? ()
Date: July 25, 2014 02:36AM

38502_99.jpg

article-2462025-18BFE80B00000578-475_634

How soon until something like this happens?

Posted by: peeved ()
Date: January 17, 2015 08:29PM

These rent a cops placed a pretty rude note on my car which I don't appreciate basically telling me I don't know how to park and that was my fault that I was too far over in my space -maybe if the car next to me was centered in its space perhaps mine would fit. Oops that car was a bmw. it's interesting that I make 6 figures a year and these little hourly wage earners wanted surveillance me and judge me when I get out of my car and pu ont a note on my car which is totally unprofessional and totally ridiculous. seems to me the next thing is the Evo lawsuit because they want to sit there and judge everybody that comes to the mall I guess if you don't have a suit on your target bastards

Posted by: Vigilante ()
Date: January 18, 2015 08:42AM

peeved Wrote:
> These rent a cops placed a pretty rude note on my
> car which I don't appreciate basically telling me
> I don't know how to park...

I'm not a rent-a-cop, but I do leave a few kind words for some. If this note you received said "Learn how to park, asshole!!!", it might have been from me. So how about you learn how to park, asshole.

Date: January 18, 2015 09:48AM

Somehow it did not occur to Metro planners that commuters had to park. Idiots. You can't even drop people off at the Springhill Station Kiss 'n Ride coming from the west without breaking traffic laws. Just one more epic bureaucrat fail - paper pushers who think they can control behavior.

Posted by: Get with the program... ()
Date: January 18, 2015 10:02AM

FormerlyRangerRikki Wrote:
> Somehow it did not occur to Metro planners that
> commuters had to park. Idiots. You can't even
> drop people off at the Springhill Station Kiss 'n
> Ride coming from the west without breaking traffic
> laws. Just one more epic bureaucrat fail - paper
> pushers who think they can control behavior.

Attention Morons: The Metro stations at Tysons are NOT for commuters inbound to DC or outbound to anywhere. There is no permanent parking near the stations because keeping cars out of Tysons is part of the whole point.

Kiss'n'Ride at Spring Hill is available only from the East. If you can't figure out how to get to it, you'll never be able to find you way to work or back home again either.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.