HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NVCC policy on repeating a class for a second time
Posted by: wallabe ()
Date: July 23, 2014 03:09PM

Tried getting ahold of the counseling center yesterday and today but they dont want to answer.

What is NVCC policy on repeating a course for a second time. Does it replace your second grade? Any input would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NVCC policy on repeating a class for a second time
Posted by: Re-Education needed for OP ()
Date: July 23, 2014 03:39PM

wallabe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tried getting ahold of the counseling center
> yesterday and today but they dont want to answer.
>
>
> What is NVCC policy on repeating a course for a
> second time. Does it replace your second grade?
> Any input would be appreciated.

Go here:
http://www.nvcc.edu/current-students/services-to-students/gpa-calculator/

and here:
http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2013/policies/grades.html

I guess now we see why you have to repeat classes, since you haven't even mastered google or even common sense.

Posted by: erik von zipper ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:32PM

Well, repeating would have to be the second time. I see why you're in Nova Coco.

Posted by: novadamer ()
Date: July 23, 2014 10:43PM

http://www.nvcc.edu/catalog/cat2013/policies/repeating.html
Here is the policy on repeating. If you take a class a second time, the grade will retroactively replace the first grade and will recalculate the GPA. If you need to take a class a third time, you can certainly see if the student service center will let you sign up, but if not, you will need to see the dean of the division for the class you are trying to get into at the campus it is held. The employees at NOVA do want to answer, but remember between mid July and late August at NVCC, it's like retail's Black Friday just about every day, but without additional employees. Please be patient with them and go to the campus to work with them and/or email your advisor or counselor. Usually they'll answer within 2 days. But for future reference, the earlier in the year, the better.

Posted by: Wallabe ()
Date: July 24, 2014 12:13PM

They're letting me take the class again but were really vague as to their police (As is their website).

I specifically want to know if retaking the class will replace my grade if I already repeated the class.

Posted by: novadamer ()
Date: July 24, 2014 08:30PM

Other community college websites state that the last grade is the one that counts, and none others. I'm about 90% sure that's how it is at NOVA as well. Someone from admissions and records may know, or http://www.nvcc.edu/campuses-and-centers/annandale/campus-resources/student-services/center-for-academic-assistance/ they would as well. Remember if you're receiving financial aid retaking a lot of classes could cause you to not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you have a "warning" or 'fail" in your to do list, you should talk w/ a financial aid advisor regarding the repercussions of taking the class too many times

Posted by: nova student ()
Date: July 25, 2014 12:07AM

When I was a student a few years ago you could retake a class 1 or 2 times and they averaged the grades together.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 25, 2014 12:20PM

Can someone help me with this? Why would it matter what the grade policy was for repeating a class? If you were attending NoVa simply to gain knowledge, the grade shouldn't be relevant. If you are attending NoVa in hopes of transferring elsewhere, the relevant information would be the policy of the school you were hoping to transfer to.

Posted by: Fmr NVCC student ()
Date: July 25, 2014 03:26PM

They let you take it twice, but after that you have to get permission. If given permission then the last grade will count towards your GPA but the other repeats will still show on the transcript but not be counted in to your GPA.

Nova is pretty set on getting you to transfer, thats actually how they get alot of their funding so they are pretty helpful in raising your GPA.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.