HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Has anyone had problems with Intelius?
Posted by: Local Nova Business Owner ()
Date: July 23, 2014 10:10AM

I have my own business in consulting and I also sub-contract out work to companies that I use from time to time to do work for me. Recently, I was bidding on local IT related project and underbid many of the other competitors. My understanding from talking to one of the customers was they had done run a background check using Intelius.com

To give you a little background about myself, I’ve never been involved in anything illegal and have only gotten a few speeding tickets in my life. My company has always gotten positive reviews in the past 7 years since I opened it, and has even won a few local awards. Yet, per Intelius.com it shows that I have served time for embezzlement in prison, drugs, etc. I checked this out for myself and it appears that Intelius somehow screwed up and linked my name to someone else with a similar spelling name (not the exact same). I’ve reached out to them several times, but they are either unresponsive or have refused to correct the mistake. What are my legal options here? Can I sue them for defamation? If I'm going to invest my time in pursuing them, I'd like to do so legally, and file a lawsuit to get their attention.

Do I have merit, and what is the process to file suit in Virginia? Does it matter that Intelius has it's headquarters in Seattle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone had problems with Intelius?
Posted by: Grrrrrr ()
Date: July 23, 2014 10:15AM

They're now known as inome and have numerous complaints about them.

inome (previously "Intelius, Inc.")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inome

Posted by: Ye Olde Legal Eagle ()
Date: July 23, 2014 10:25AM

If you can prove damages and if you can prove that a substantial factor in your having lost an opportunity is the false affirmations of fact against you then, yes, you would have a claim. You are going to need documentation and witnesses as to all of this and not simply "they said".

Posted by: Mark Westerfield ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:06AM

Local Nova Business Owner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have my own business in consulting and I also
> sub-contract out work to companies that I use from
> time to time to do work for me. Recently, I was
> bidding on local IT related project and underbid
> many of the other competitors. My understanding
> from talking to one of the customers was they had
> done run a background check using Intelius.com
>
> To give you a little background about myself,
> I’ve never been involved in anything illegal and
> have only gotten a few speeding tickets in my
> life. My company has always gotten positive
> reviews in the past 7 years since I opened it, and
> has even won a few local awards. Yet, per
> Intelius.com it shows that I have served time for
> embezzlement in prison, drugs, etc. I checked this
> out for myself and it appears that Intelius
> somehow screwed up and linked my name to someone
> else with a similar spelling name (not the exact
> same). I’ve reached out to them several times,
> but they are either unresponsive or have refused
> to correct the mistake. What are my legal options
> here? Can I sue them for defamation? If I'm going
> to invest my time in pursuing them, I'd like to do
> so legally, and file a lawsuit to get their
> attention.
>
> Do I have merit, and what is the process to file
> suit in Virginia? Does it matter that Intelius has
> it's headquarters in Seattle?

At a minimum, I would suggest that you sit down and discuss this situation with a local attorney. The jurisdiction issues and proving the value of how you were injured by the false information are sufficiently complicated that it would be inadvisable to try to pursue this claim on your own. I would agree that it is probably important to send a notice to Intellius, but I think that should probably come from your lawyer and include a proper demand for monetary damages. With some investigation, you may discover that other entities are also responsible for putting the false information out into the public arena and that Intellius simply picked up that false information and distributed it widely. Get a screen shot of the false information and be prepared to provide careful documentation on how you were damaged financially by the false information.

Posted by: fuck intelius ()
Date: July 23, 2014 11:10AM

I used them once to get some info on someone, of course they tell you they have all the good details, you just need to sign up and pay to see it. Paid for it, and it was all BS, didn't have very much information at all, what it had was all incorrect.

Posted by: sue them, others have ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:06PM

http://www.peoplefinderchat.com/intelius-date-check-lawsuit/

Their actions are having an impact in Virginia and they are publishing information about a Virginia resident. You can sue them here.

You can also opt out of some of their databases, but they have a rather convoluted means of doing so.

They will most likely settle if sued, they get MANY complaints about the "accuracy" of their data as well as their marketing and billing practices.

Intelius Sued Over “Date Check” App
Posted by: lawsuit ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:18PM

sue them, others have Wrote:
> http://www.peoplefinderchat.com/intelius-date-chec
> k-lawsuit/
>
> Their actions are having an impact in Virginia and
> they are publishing information about a Virginia
> resident. You can sue them here.
>
> You can also opt out of some of their databases,
> but they have a rather convoluted means of doing
> so.
>
> They will most likely settle if sued, they get
> MANY complaints about the "accuracy" of their data
> as well as their marketing and billing practices.

Intelius Sued Over “Date Check” App
http://www.peoplefinderchat.com/intelius-date-check-lawsuit/

Intelius, a people search and public records search provider, is being sued over its background check app called “Date Check”.

The Date Check app is marketed by Intelius as a way to do a people search and background check on a person you are dating or want to date and claims to instantly check a person’s criminal records and sex offenses.

The Intelius site encourages people who use the Date Check app to “lookup before you hookup”.

The Intelius Date Check people search is available for Android, iPhone and Blackberry mobile phones and claims to provide public records results on people, including: criminal records; sex offender records; property records; birth date; social network profiles and other public records with a name search, reverse phone number search or reverse email lookup.

The class action lawsuit against Intelius accuses the public records company of showing false criminal record results about people through their Date Check people search app in an effort to entice people into purchasing more detailed background check reports on the person being searched for $14.95.

One of the people involved in the Intelius suit is Paul Geller, who claims the Date Check search defamed him by falsely claiming he had 16 criminal records associated with his name with one search and then showed 18 criminal records for his name on a second search.

However, his background check report showed only 1 public record for a 2002 traffic ticket that was later dismissed by the court.

The Date Check app allegedly shows different public record results for people on different mobile phones and has an incentive to publish incorrect criminal information to lure people into buying the detailed background check information.

The suit states that the Intelius Date Check search “published false, salacious, and/or misleading statements indicating that plaintiff and the class members had criminal records when they did not.”

It is believed that a large number of people who use the Date Check app to search for a person see results that show the person has a criminal record. Many of these people then pay Intelius to view the details of the full background check report.

In addition the suit against Intelius claims that the people search and public record company knowingly publishes false criminal record results about people and that the paid background checks often differ substantially from the free people search results.

The lawsuit seeks an injunction against Intelius people search for their Date Check app; punitive damages for defamation; consumer law violations and unfair business practices.

Interested people should try doing a name search for themselves to see if the Intelius Date Check search publishes false public records or criminal records on them or someone they know: http://www.intelius.com/mobile

Posted by: Jim Rockford ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:44PM

Mostly it's a failure of someone relying on Intelius as some authoritative source. It's not. Independent of any purposeful marketing sins they may have committed, even at its best it's just a database that pulls info based on matches to whatever is entered. It's a useful tool as a starting point to discover information. It is not necessarily confirmation of that information. Which anyone familiar with it and other such tools knows well and I'm sure that they state somewhere in their terms of use.

You can sue anybody for just about anything but whether or not you're successful and it's worth the trouble and expense is another matter. You might start by trying to contact them to have whatever it is corrected. You'd need to show some good faith effort on your part anyway even if you did decide to sue. Also as a practical matter as mentioned above it may be that the error lies somewhere else in the data that they are pulling so you'd need to determine that. Or, more commonly from what I've seen, it may be a case of someone just misinterpreting what the service presents. Unless you drill down to an individual record and even then it's mostly showing possible connections, again, not necessarily fact.

Posted by: Rockford - fictional character ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:08PM

I know someone who sued one of these "data brokers" and won. They were advertising company profiles.

The problem was, they did not update their profile data. Someone hired them, got a profile, and then used this to do due diligence on a potential supplier. The problem was that when the due diligence investigator went to the address shown on the profile, the company was not there because they had moved years ago.

The company sued the data broker, claiming they should have been more responsible.

The court agreed, and awarded damaged against the broker in the amount of the project that that the due diligence was being done on.

So I think Intelius may have a little problem here.

Posted by: Jim Rockford ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:47PM

Rockford - fictional character Wrote:
> I know someone who sued one of these "data
> brokers" and won. They were advertising company
> profiles.
>
> The problem was, they did not update their profile
> data. Someone hired them, got a profile, and then
> used this to do due diligence on a potential
> supplier. The problem was that when the due
> diligence investigator went to the address shown
> on the profile, the company was not there because
> they had moved years ago.
>
> The company sued the data broker, claiming they
> should have been more responsible.
>
> The court agreed, and awarded damaged against the
> broker in the amount of the project that that the
> due diligence was being done on.
>
> So I think Intelius may have a little problem
> here.

Doubtful for a company at the very rough level of an Intelius and offering no performance warranties. And your story doesn't even make sense given that such a discovery during due diligence prior to any project wouldn't involve the full cost of the potential project itself and at best likely would involve only the cost of the service itself and any direct damages. Anything is possible, but very unlikely, particularly since Intelius specifically disclaims any such warranties and accuracy of results in its terms.

http://www.intelius.com/useragreement.php

What was the name of the company?

Posted by: Fighting for Justic ()
Date: July 23, 2014 05:25PM

OP - when you get out of prison and get off the drugs, give me a shout and we'll go after these bastards together!

Posted by: very simple ()
Date: July 24, 2014 10:46AM

Intelius may have fine print that gets them off from problems with people who buy their information. But, if they are irresponsible and print false things, that does not help Intelius against the person they defamed.

I say good that someone sued them and got something. Maybe they will learn to be more careful in the future. It is also clear anyone relying on them 100% is an absolute idiot.

Posted by: Beth ()
Date: July 29, 2016 07:38PM

It appears if you get on the wrong side of KKK and the good 'ole boys or brokers in India, that these people appear to pay off Intelius to post 'inferring defamatory things' about you.

Posted by: Intelius warranty ()
Date: July 29, 2016 08:33PM

I know someone who was denied a job based on Intelius. They had merged him with a sex offender with the same last name.

He contacted Intelius, they made warranty noise. They foolishly assumed he was the purchaser-they got a bit worried when they found out what happened to him.

It took some wrangling, but he got this fixed and the company hired him. He turned around and sued Intelius for lost wages. He took them to small claims court and won. Yes, he did not get as much as he could have, but he got to fight on level ground and did not have to deal with Intelius' lawyers.

The hiring company terminated their Intelius contract.

Posted by: vTwby ()
Date: July 30, 2016 08:21PM

you've come to the right place!

ffu sells reliable fast business class passes to banking and customer wifi !

Posted by: 9XjUX ()
Date: July 30, 2016 08:25PM

Local Nova Business Owner Wrote:
> I have my own business in consulting and I also
> sub-contract out work to companies that I use from
> time to time to do work for me. Recently, I was
> bidding on local IT related project and underbid
> many of the other competitors. My understanding
> from talking to one of the customers was they had
> done run a background check using Intelius.com
>
> To give you a little background about myself,
> I’ve never been involved in anything illegal and
> have only gotten a few speeding tickets in my
> life. My company has always gotten positive
> reviews in the past 7 years since I opened it, and
> has even won a few local awards. Yet, per
> Intelius.com it shows that I have served time for
> embezzlement in prison, drugs, etc. I checked this
> out for myself and it appears that Intelius
> somehow screwed up and linked my name to someone
> else with a similar spelling name (not the exact
> same). I’ve reached out to them several times,
> but they are either unresponsive or have refused
> to correct the mistake. What are my legal options
> here? Can I sue them for defamation? If I'm going
> to invest my time in pursuing them, I'd like to do
> so legally, and file a lawsuit to get their
> attention.
>
> Do I have merit, and what is the process to file
> suit in Virginia? Does it matter that Intelius has
> it's headquarters in Seattle?

THE WHOLE NATION HAS HAD LEGAL PROBLEMS with purveyors of "customer, employee, and business information for sale"

the rulings specify the companies must make available any harmful information IF ASKED BY THE INJURED PARTY

a non-gov contract bid does not owe to pick the best bidder, and in any case the lower bidder is not the best bidder

google it and you'd see (TROLL!!!!!)

Date: July 30, 2016 08:28PM

OH FORGOT. the jist of the rulings is if such a company sells false information about you (ie, to increase their sales)

they are legally liable in every way

you have only hearsay intelius was used in a decision against you - which is weak as water

Date: July 30, 2016 08:31PM

you would have to have proof the employer paid intelius and received false information to go forward

(your having obtained it from intelius or the employer who didn't store it - in both cases you'll be dealt with in a highly delaying manner - they can simply feed you bullshit, you'd need a lawyer probably to "correctly and quickly obtain what they really sold to the employer" ... which btw might not even be stored)

Posted by: dybyc ()
Date: July 30, 2016 08:36PM

> At a minimum, I would suggest that you sit down and discuss this situation with a local attorney.

i would advise you that a local attorney would be likely to rip you off like hell and if you did win you'd find all the winnings did not cover the attorney fees

look ahead and watch where you step. it is a den of snakes in fx co va.

obviously you need to know how much you might recover

i happen to know that in a en-mass case (a particular one), litigants were offered well less than $100

a local lawyer would want thousands just to discuss if there was any money to be made - AND would likely lie about it

you must learn and know for yourself how much money can be secured in a ruling

Posted by: Pesel ()
Date: August 10, 2016 07:25PM

My whole name, age and address was listed top of the Google search, having me living with a named "woman". A woman who was a false account on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook all to cover up an abusive immigrant whom i had inadvertantly exposed in a dv group whose name was the middle name of this imaginary African-American photo'd woman. Intelius was paid off to make me look bad and cover the immigrant up.

They removed the active link but the cached memory is still on the Google search, top listing, btw.....

Don't step on toes apparently, it is easy to pay off Intelius to post false information......

I will write them to correct the false info and if needed subpeona them to get evidence as to which 'public records' they used to post this information.

Posted by: Danielle Serino ()
Date: November 11, 2019 03:32PM

Hi!

This is Danielle Serino from the NBC station in Cleveland, OH.

I am an investigative reporter here. Here is the link to my bio:
https://www.wkyc.com/article/about-us/team-bios/danielle-serino-wkyc-investigative-consumer-reporteranchor/95-589065437

I am doing a story on complaints like yours regarding these background sites. In fact, a similar thing happened to me.

Would you be willing to do a Skype interview with me that I would use in the story?

The best way to get me is by cell at 216-508-6551.
I am doing the story on Thursday. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!
Danielle

Date: November 11, 2019 03:35PM

Hi!

https://www.wkyc.com/article/about-us/team-bios/danielle-serino-wkyc-investigative-consumer-reporteranchor/95-589065437

I am doing a story on complaints like these regarding background sites. In fact, a similar thing happened to me.

Do you know how I can get in touch with that person in Virginia?

I am doing the story on Thursday. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you!
Danielle

Date: November 11, 2019 03:37PM

Hi!

I am doing a story on complaints like these regarding background sites. In fact, a similar thing happened to me.

Do you know how I can get in touch with the person you are talking about?

Thank you!
Danielle

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.