HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
NOVEC complaints
Posted by: Why are the lights off? ()
Date: July 23, 2014 09:57AM

We just arrived home from being out-of-town for over a week and found a note on our door from NOVEC stating: "Date & Time: 7/08/14. Delinquent Amount Due: $119.09, Current Amount Due: $123.62, Service Fee $ 40.00, TOTAL Due: $282.71. A NOVEC representative visited your home for the purpose of collecting an overdue payment on your electric bill. We are extending you the courtesy of not disconnecting your electric service at this time. Please note, if your account (Heat) balance remains unpaid by 7/10/14, your electric service will be disconnected."

I have a current bill from NOVEC stating that Amount of $242.71 was due by 2 p.m. on 07/09/2014. On 07/02/2014 at 3:39 p.m. CT, I scheduled an online payment in the amount of $242.71 payable to NOVEC on 07/09/2014 (per the bill) via my Capital One account. I never received a June bill from NOVEC and didn't realize that fact until I received my current bill, which was unusually high. On the current bill I received, NOVEC didn't separate the amounts, therefore, I paid the bill in full according to the due date as stated on the billing line... Amount Due by 2:00 P.O. On 07/09/2014 $242.71.

I just spoke with a representative at NOVEC to confirm that they received my payment on the due date. They stated that they were still billing me the $40.00 service charge for a NOVEC representative showing up at my door the day before the bill was actually due to collect payment in person. They refuse to waive the charges.

I have done online research, and Consumer Affairs lists nine online complaints logged against them since October 2013 that are similar. I am sure that number is only a small sampling of the people that NOVEC has abused. NOVEC's practices need to be examined, I believe that if you look into their practices you will clearly see NOVEC is abusing the fact that they are the only power provider in this area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NOVEC complaints
Posted by: Rodeo Clown ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:54PM

This happened to me and I had them waive the $40 fee. Original bill was not delivered or was lost by the carrier. Next bill was unusually high, so I called and said "What the hell is this?" and the person checked with a manager and said I was a customer in good standing for 14 years with 2 properties and they would just waive it. I suspect that it was stolen from my mailbox for voter fraud purposes.

Posted by: kb ()
Date: July 23, 2014 10:15PM

Same thing happened to me in April. Watch out--they will also hit you with a $500 deposit on your next bill. I reached out to the head of NOVEC with a nasty response from his assistant that they would not waive it...even though my payment came out of my acct on time and it was their system that messed up.

Posted by: Kill A Watt ()
Date: July 24, 2014 05:19AM

Why are the lights off? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We just arrived home from being out-of-town for
> over a week and found a note on our door from
> NOVEC stating: "Date & Time: 7/08/14. Delinquent
> Amount Due: $119.09, Current Amount Due: $123.62,
> Service Fee $ 40.00, TOTAL Due: $282.71. A NOVEC
> representative visited your home for the purpose
> of collecting an overdue payment on your electric
> bill. We are extending you the courtesy of not
> disconnecting your electric service at this time.
> Please note, if your account (Heat) balance
> remains unpaid by 7/10/14, your electric service
> will be disconnected."
>
> I have a current bill from NOVEC stating that
> Amount of $242.71 was due by 2 p.m. on 07/09/2014.
> On 07/02/2014 at 3:39 p.m. CT, I scheduled an
> online payment in the amount of $242.71 payable to
> NOVEC on 07/09/2014 (per the bill) via my Capital
> One account. I never received a June bill from
> NOVEC and didn't realize that fact until I
> received my current bill, which was unusually
> high. On the current bill I received, NOVEC didn't
> separate the amounts, therefore, I paid the bill
> in full according to the due date as stated on the
> billing line... Amount Due by 2:00 P.O. On
> 07/09/2014 $242.71.
>
> I just spoke with a representative at NOVEC to
> confirm that they received my payment on the due
> date. They stated that they were still billing me
> the $40.00 service charge for a NOVEC
> representative showing up at my door the day
> before the bill was actually due to collect
> payment in person. They refuse to waive the
> charges.
>
> I have done online research, and Consumer Affairs
> lists nine online complaints logged against them
> since October 2013 that are similar. I am sure
> that number is only a small sampling of the people
> that NOVEC has abused. NOVEC's practices need to
> be examined, I believe that if you look into their
> practices you will clearly see NOVEC is abusing
> the fact that they are the only power provider in
> this area.

Sounds like you screwed up. If your bill does not arrive in the mail then you need to call NOVEC. If you don't like that then you should purchase your electric power elsewhere.

Posted by: JustCurious ()
Date: July 24, 2014 07:01AM

People are still waiting on bills in the mail? What about online/email delivery? How about just scheduling an automatic draft? I've never had an issue.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.