HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Can I bring suit against the sheriff's department for not issusing a warrant for a Domestic Violence case after I said to press charges?
Posted by: Victim of DV ()
Date: July 23, 2014 07:51AM

I was involved in a domestic dispute two years ago with my ex-husband and I ended up calling the police. They came out to my house and took pictures and said they would be issuing a warrant for his arrest. Two months later my Ex found and shot me while I was on vacation in West VA. He was eventually arrested and was held in the county jail until the trial. I recently found out that the sheriff office's did not issuse a warrant until they were contacted by the victims advocate, nearly a year after the domestic dispute for info on that domestic dispute incident. By not issuing that warrant and arresting him, I would never have been shot. What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I bring suit against the sheriff's department for not issusing a warrant for a Domestic Violence case after I said to press charges?
Posted by: pJXeP ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:02AM

I don't see how, even if they arrested him for the DV, he would have been out on bail right? He still would have found you and shot you right?

Re: Can I bring suit against the sheriff's department for not issusing a warrant for a Domestic Violence case after I said to press charges?
Posted by: Gun Owner ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:03AM

Victim of DV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was involved in a domestic dispute two years ago
> with my ex-husband and I ended up calling the
> police. They came out to my house and took
> pictures and said they would be issuing a warrant
> for his arrest. Two months later my Ex found and
> shot me while I was on vacation in West VA. He was
> eventually arrested and was held in the county
> jail until the trial. I recently found out that
> the sheriff office's did not issuse a warrant
> until they were contacted by the victims advocate,
> nearly a year after the domestic dispute for info
> on that domestic dispute incident. By not issuing
> that warrant and arresting him, I would never have
> been shot. What do you think?

He had a gun, didn't you own one? If you did, you could have plugged him.

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:25AM

Gun Owner Wrote:
> Victim of DV Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was involved in a domestic dispute two years
> ago
> > with my ex-husband and I ended up calling the
> > police. They came out to my house and took
> > pictures and said they would be issuing a
> warrant
> > for his arrest. Two months later my Ex found
> and
> > shot me while I was on vacation in West VA. He
> was
> > eventually arrested and was held in the county
> > jail until the trial. I recently found out that
> > the sheriff office's did not issuse a warrant
> > until they were contacted by the victims
> advocate,
> > nearly a year after the domestic dispute for
> info
> > on that domestic dispute incident. By not
> issuing
> > that warrant and arresting him, I would never
> have
> > been shot. What do you think?
>
> He had a gun, didn't you own one? If you did, you
> could have plugged him.

Typical loser response.

Posted by: Not sure I agree or disagree ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:27AM

Sad Wrote:
> Gun Owner Wrote:
> -----
> > Victim of DV Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I was involved in a domestic dispute two
> years
> > ago
> > > with my ex-husband and I ended up calling the
> > > police. They came out to my house and took
> > > pictures and said they would be issuing a
> > warrant
> > > for his arrest. Two months later my Ex found
> > and
> > > shot me while I was on vacation in West VA.
> He
> > was
> > > eventually arrested and was held in the
> county
> > > jail until the trial. I recently found out
> that
> > > the sheriff office's did not issuse a warrant
> > > until they were contacted by the victims
> > advocate,
> > > nearly a year after the domestic dispute for
> > info
> > > on that domestic dispute incident. By not
> > issuing
> > > that warrant and arresting him, I would never
> > have
> > > been shot. What do you think?
> >
> > He had a gun, didn't you own one? If you did,
> you
> > could have plugged him.
>
> Typical loser response.

Still its a good question. If you know your ex has a gun, and you know that the police take 4 minutes or more to get to your home after calling them, then logic suggests some good alternative (gun, mace, etc.)

Posted by: wally ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:28AM

Warrants have to be approved by judges after the police file for one. Maybe the judge needed more probable cause to issue the warrant. Have you asked them why a warrant wasn't issued?

Date: July 23, 2014 08:29AM

wally Wrote:
> Warrants have to be approved by judges after the
> police file for one. Maybe the judge needed more
> probable cause to issue the warrant. Have you
> asked them why a warrant wasn't issued?

I was told they had issued the warrant.

Posted by: CH3NO2 ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:41AM

Police and Fire Dept have sovereign immunity. You would have to prove gross negligence to get anywhere.

Posted by: wally ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:29PM

First you said they didn't issue a warrant. Then you said you were told they did issue a warrant. So which is it?

Date: July 23, 2014 03:31PM

wally Wrote:
> First you said they didn't issue a warrant. Then
> you said you were told they did issue a warrant.
> So which is it?

I was told they had issued the warrant, but in fact it had not been.

Posted by: Citizen TaxPayerz ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:25PM

As most true trash you are looking to place blame elsewhere, do not date losers, or was the bread on the sandwich stale???? Please move far away from here.....unless you are hot then start being a hooker on BP!!

Posted by: WilliamRobert ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:51PM

Victim of DV Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------- I was on vacation in West VA. He was
> eventually arrested and was held in the county
> jail until the trial.What do you think?

I think you are full of shit. No county jails in wv.

Posted by: ggggg ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:01PM

If he was willing to track you down in another state and shoot you it seems unlikely that an arrest warrant would have compelled him to surrender after the first incident. Do you have any evidence that he was stopped by police for some unrelated reason between the two incidents when he could have been arrested by the police but was just let go because the warrant did not come up in the computer check of his background? I still doubt that would create any legal liability but it could pressure them to be more accountable for their inaction.

Posted by: Where?? ()
Date: July 23, 2014 09:56PM

And where did this happen? The sheriff's office in Fairfax County does not handle domestic violence cases.

And Walley...you need to read some VA criminal procedures reference when a warrant can be issued and by whom.

Posted by: Answer=Nope ()
Date: July 24, 2014 03:19PM

The SCOTUS has decided many times that the police have NO DUTY to protect you, even in the most heinous of circumstances:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Prepare to protect yourself accordingly. Given the attitude police often have toward crime victims, I would question the sanity of most who seek police help in pursuing criminals anyways.

Posted by: VxxVd ()
Date: July 24, 2014 03:29PM

The government owes you no duty, period. There's case law on it.

The OP is a typical Liberal-raised woman who thinks her answer is to go to the court to get some kind of paper. Then when the criminal comes to shoot her, she can show him the piece of paper, and the criminal will say "gee-willikers" and go home.

If the woman doesn't have brothers/uncles/cousins/in-laws to take care of the criminal then, yes, she should have a firearm.

There's nothing loser about it.

The only loser here is the woman relying on government.

Vote Conservative this fall.

Posted by: Bigdog ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:38PM

Ok so in the beginning of your statement you said it was a domestic dispute. Basically two people yelling at each other. But then you said they took pictures, of what was there violence. In virginia if there is violence then someone is going to jail. If it was two people yelling at each other then no warrant or anyone going to jail.

So first question was ther violence someone hit the other other?
Second did the dupties tell you to go get the warrant cause they didn't think that it looked like anything happened or mutual combat.
Third how often were you and boyfriend involved with the law before this incident?
Last if it was so bad at the time if the incident why didn't you follow up with the original deputy to find out why things were taking so long. Sure it would be nice to blame someone else but if this was an ongoing issue, you had the ability to call the cops back.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.