HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
BREAKING NEWS FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL IS GETTING NEW turf
Posted by: tax PAYER ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:36PM

FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL IS GETING NEW turf!! WHY??? THEY HAD TURF? I Thought we don't have to replace them but we are?????????????????????????????/

WHO VOTED FOR THIS?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BREAKING NEWS FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL IS GETTING NEW turf
Posted by: fragile stuff ()
Date: July 15, 2014 02:45PM

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news/2014/jun/25/marching-bands-music-fireworks-and-parade/

look at how fragile the turf is, one little parade and it is all over.

Posted by: fairfax ()
Date: July 23, 2014 12:24PM

Fairfax needed new turf. As a past student there I can tell you how worn out the stadium field is. You have several high school sports practices as well as games along with club sports like FPYC who have practices and games there. The City also holds events there such as the Fourth of July fireworks display. When it rains outside, the rain collects into puddles which turf fields are supposed to prevent. Replacing the turf field would benefit the high school as well as different clubs and the City or County of Fairfax.

Posted by: this is just so wrong ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:14PM

Schools don't have books or classrooms, yet they have turf fields. We all know how much turf fields contribute to test scores! After these kids graduate, can't get into college and are working at Wendy's, they can try to explain turf fields to their immigrant co-workers.

County statistics show that only approximately 2% of residents participate in activities using these turf fields. That is a clear indicator of the elitism in the County. The subsidy for these clubs needs to stop, if the members of the clubs want turf fields so badly, they can pay for them.

Posted by: questionable ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:39PM

This can't possibly be true. Could it?

Posted by: Dr.Gaza ()
Date: July 23, 2014 01:47PM

In texas everyone loved TUFF

Posted by: MtMmn ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:24PM

Dr. Garza needs to go back to Texas, and Reed, Moon, Velkoff, McLaughlin, Kaufax, and McElveen need to be voted off the school board.

Posted by: Katy ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:40PM

WTF...some high schools in ffx county still have yet to get turf to begin with...yet fairfax is getting a new one

Posted by: extra $ ()
Date: July 23, 2014 02:42PM

I guess it's what you do when you end the year with extra money.

Posted by: Thucydides ()
Date: July 23, 2014 03:07PM

Wow...

That field is still in pretty good shape and there really should be no reason to be spending money on new turf there.

Sounds like the AD and Principle or some athletic boozer got his panties in a war because they don't have a bunch of fancy, colorful logos on the field like some of the newer fields (which is a waste of money and utterly annoying for anyone other than pointy football fans)

Posted by: Extra $ ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:04PM

Posted by: It's Fairfax CITY.... ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:09PM

that owns FHS. Dumbfuqs.

Posted by: tgb ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:21PM

It's owned by the city, but FCPS operates it.

Posted by: FHS website ()
Date: July 23, 2014 04:29PM

So how does turf factor in?
Attachments:
City of Fairfax Schools » School Services Agreement with FCPS.htm

Posted by: Lancelot ()
Date: July 23, 2014 06:29PM

tax PAYER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> WHO VOTED FOR THIS?

King Arthur: You don't vote for kings.
Peasant Woman: Well, how'd you become king, then?
[Angelic music plays... ]
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your king.
Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
Arthur: Be quiet!
Dennis the Peasant: You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!”

Posted by: city dweller ()
Date: July 23, 2014 07:14PM

tgb Wrote:
> It's owned by the city, but FCPS operates it.

That's right and we pay FCPS around $40 million a year to do it.

We own the schools and anything that is done to them is nobody's damned business but our residents. When FHS needed renovation, we did it. Same with Lanier and Providence ES. We don't have to get in a queue like County schools do and wait decades for renovations. When OUR school board (not FCPS school board) and OUR City Council approve upgrades, INCLUDING turf, we do it.

PLEASE, if you do not live IN FAIRFAX CITY, shut the fuck up about our schools. If you live in the County, it is absolutely none of your business what we do in the Fairfax City. If we do something you don't like, please please, please detour around us!

Date: July 23, 2014 07:22PM

Hey City Dweller - shut the fuck up you ignorant twit.

The field was still in pretty decent shape and was not in need of resurfacing.

Posted by: city dweller ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:05PM

Thucydides Wrote:
> Hey City Dweller - shut the fuck up you ignorant
> twit.
>
> The field was still in pretty decent shape and was
> not in need of resurfacing.

That's not for you to decide. If we want to replace the turf, it is OUR money, and it's OUR business.

How bout you concern yourself with the schools that YOUR taxes support and we'll concern ourselves with the schools that OUR taxes support? Deal?

Posted by: Tax Payer ()
Date: July 23, 2014 08:17PM

ITS MY MONEY!!!!! MY MONEY AND I WOLD OF VOTED NO
city dweller Wrote:
> Thucydides Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey City Dweller - shut the fuck up you
> ignorant
> > twit.
> >
> > The field was still in pretty decent shape and
> was
> > not in need of resurfacing.
>
>
> That's not for you to decide. If we want to
> replace the turf, it is OUR money, and it's OUR
> business.
>
> How bout you concern yourself with the schools
> that YOUR taxes support and we'll concern
> ourselves with the schools that OUR taxes support?
> Deal?

Date: July 23, 2014 09:42PM

City Dweller - it is my damn business how the City of Fairfax spends my hard earned dollars and wasting them on resurfacing a field that has another couple of years of use left is a definite waste.

Posted by: Untp9 ()
Date: July 24, 2014 10:49AM

These turf fields are one of the stupidest decisions the County ever made. Mark my words, there WILL be changes in the school board and board of supervisors at the next election over this.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 24, 2014 11:42AM

You all are complaining about turf fields at high schools? No big deal compared to a $12 million pool that the Prince William County School Board approved at a new high school being built (in addition to an orchestra pit costing several million), and they unanimously approved a salary increase to $390,000 for the school superintendent.

Posted by: NUNYA ()
Date: July 25, 2014 01:05AM

Hey Thucydides! STFU you Stupid County Scum-squat

Posted by: why why why ()
Date: July 25, 2014 04:55AM

Why are schools in the business of sports anyway. You should go to school to learn, not play sports. With no stadiums or gyms, you could invest in teachers and books.

Posted by: PRT ()
Date: July 25, 2014 11:32AM

FYI --

I live in the City of Fairfax, and I have a son who goes to FHS and plays football and lacrosse for FHS. It is FFX City taxpayers who fund this, and I fully support the new field. In case you didn't know, while turf fields don't require regular upkeep like mowing, they get wear and tear and last approximatley 10 years. It's been about 10 years since the old (original) turf field was installed, so its life is about up.

For those of you complaining about this from the County, it's not your money, so it's not your fight. And for anyone else, sports are part of HS life and they aren't going away. Since that is a given, we owe it to our kids to make the surfaces as safe as possible.

Posted by: thank you prt ()
Date: July 25, 2014 11:41AM

Agree with PRT. Many times when my son was in high school, we had games moved to Fairfax High because of a wet field. While we would have preferred a home game, it was better to play the game than delay.
For those who complain about this, my son learned a lot from sports. He learned to be there on time (good job training), to obey rules he frequently did not like, and to cheer for friends--even when he would rather be on the field. Of course, you can learn all these things in academics, but he got more of the work ethic from sports--maybe because teachers let him slide and coaches didn't.

The main problem with moving to another school-in this case Fairfax--was that Fairfax was able to make money from concession sales and we were not. Concession sales contribute to the sports/band programs. A lot of people would be surprised to know how much of the sports program is paid for by fundraising--not FCPS.

Date: July 25, 2014 11:45AM

Yes, as a Fairfax City taxpayer and as someone who was on that turf field as recently as May, that field while close to 10 years old still doesn't need to be replaced yet.

And judging by the photos of the new field, the reason for replacing looks to be more for cosmetic reasons than for quality or even safety of the turf.

So yes, as a city tax payer, I am pissed that the city is pissing our money away.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.